Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: missingAK] #5846659 07/24/15 08:29 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: missingAK
That boat is going to be something to be proud of for years. Nice work and keep the pics coming!

X2 up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5846678 07/24/15 08:37 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Looking great Senor! up

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5846679 07/24/15 08:38 PM
T
T Bone Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Bravo! clap

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I really hate to do what I am about to do, because it will be very painful for you.

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5846830 07/24/15 10:25 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I bet you will be fine, epoxy is some BA "stuff". Looking good too. Curious, why not epoxy the sides and rear?

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: Western] #5846857 07/24/15 10:49 PM
C
cmc Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Western
I bet you will be fine, epoxy is some BA "stuff". Looking good too. Curious, why not epoxy the sides and rear?

I had planned originally to do the back but the gallon of epoxy was just enough for the bottom, and the sides are above the water line so I'm not too worried about them. My main goal for the epoxy was for sealant, it was a bonus that it came in white and added some strength but mostly I didn't want leaking rivets ever.

The transom was rebuilt a couple years ago but I may pull it all apart again and redo it and that would be a good time to epoxy it but for now it will likely get paint.

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5846979 07/25/15 12:17 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Got ya.

Dennis

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5847566 07/25/15 01:45 PM
C
cmc Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Thought I would throw up a couple pics while I'm waiting on primer to dry, I really should be stripping the old metal gas tank but I'm lazy today.

My neighbor is looking for her news paper, I needed it worse she can watch tv for news I got painting to do.

I got it primed and ready for paint. I'm not doing anything to the back just yet I'm still debating tearing the transom out again.
I really want it to have a cedar plank floor and I've been told all the ways it's great and all the ways it's not but I like the look and it will be covered when not in use so I think if I treat it like any other deck I can get a lot of years from it. I built a mock up in the Home Depot floor lastnight.

I'm 190 pounds and these boards on 18" center held with no give and the ribs in the boat are closer so I think I'm gonna do it. It's just money right, if I don't like it I'll try again in a few years.

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5848139 07/26/15 12:07 AM
C
cmc Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I hate painting, spend 4 hours prepping and still got a little over spray but nothing noticeable except to me. The pic isn't the best but you get the idea.
I'm not sure about this paint, I told the guy what I was doing and he claimed that this would be the best for what I needed. Once I seen the name I figured that matched my painting ability and figured what the hell.
It went on nice and seems to be pretty tough right now but we will see.
I can't just let paint dry and not do something so I thought I would check the transom and I'm glad and mad that I did. I had forgotten we used a 2x12 years ago which you shouldn't do so it was split and needed to be replaced. I pulled it out and traced it then sandwiched two pieces of 3/4" plywood and made a new one but there was one problem. The old board didn't go all the way down in the channel and I didn't notice it so when I dry fit the new one guess what?
1.5" too short.
So I pulled it and started over. This time I used one piece to test fit and traced it and then made the other and glued and screwed them together.

It basically took a whole sheet of not very cheap plywood to make the transom after my mistake. After I glued and clamped the pieces and screwed them together with deck screws that say they are guaranteed for life, not sure who's life, but that should be long enough. Before my mistake I had planned on having two coats of spar urethane on it but I only got one. I should be able to get a couple more on it tomorrow and have it back in with any luck. The only part that shows is a couple small pieces on the ends but it still looks good with the urethane on it.

If anybody is considering doing this to an old boat just to give you an idea to this point I have just under $400 in it and about 5 good working days. $100 of that was epoxy alone and $100 was new tires for the trailer I'm not gonna use so you could get out cheaper but that's an idea.

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5848233 07/26/15 01:37 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Brudda, I hope that paint works for you, but I am "skeered", I use Low VOC traffic paint for a living and it doesn't like stainless and aluminum without a specific primer. Even then it can be tuff to not peel. It is designed to attach to cured asphalt and cured cement.

Hope the surface is scratched enough to hold for you, usually you use an acid etch type primer (some say a vinegar will work) for AL and SS

Dennis

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5848257 07/26/15 01:51 AM
C
cmc Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Well I was worried too so I roughed it up good and used and self etching primer, if the worst thing I have to redo is paint that blue stripe I'll be fine with it.

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5848273 07/26/15 02:03 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Looks great...and I appreciate your humor...thanks for sharing....can't wait to see what happens next.... popcorn

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5848296 07/26/15 02:20 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Etching primer is good, hopefully should make the difference. Sure not trying to be negative about your project.

Dennis

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: Western] #5848350 07/26/15 02:54 AM
C
cmc Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Etching primer is good, hopefully should make the difference. Sure not trying to be negative about your project.

Absolutely not sir. I need all the help I can get. I'm really just winging this thing, I've never done any of this kind of work so there's some trial and error. I know the bottom coating is there forever that stuff looks like it's gonna take a beating and if the paint needs to be redone in a year or so I'll know what not to do.

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5848558 07/26/15 11:55 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
That is why I had asked why you didn't epoxy the sides and rear, I new it may be prohibitively expensive. Then You could paint with an epoxy colored/proof paint, almost be like having Kevlar on the outside. grin

Dennis

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5848715 07/26/15 02:19 PM
C
cmc Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
If I have to redo paint I will call the epoxy company and see if they can mix me a color close to that blue and just do the whole boat but I wasn't really ready to be dropping hundreds on a boat right now, I got hunting to do later and need some extra cash grin

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5848735 07/26/15 02:28 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I hear you, paint could cost you more than the boat! Since you are probably not going to enter it into a show, as long as it floats and keeps your feet dry up

Dennis

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5849269 07/26/15 10:51 PM
C
cmc Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Western my friend I think this paint is gonna be temporary. It still seems "wet" to me but it's what I got for now and I got other work to do.

I was up before the sun going at it and when the sun broke I realized my shop and surrounding area is trashed. Time to slow down gather tools, clean up, think of what to do next and how and get things right.

Just got things squared away and the wife says come eat, she's trying to keep my energy up, not for that reason either but because she wants to fish and she knows I'm married to the boat until done.

Alright now I'm ready. I finished cleaning out the area where the wood would go for the transom and primed it. I had put three or four good layers of spar urethane on the plywood by now and it was drying so I started recarpeting the bunks on the "new" trailer.

They weren't terrible but I had new carpet so I figured I'd put it on. For some reason and I don't know why I walked over to the motor and tried to turn that broken mounting bolt that I broke the second I got the boat home. It was bent or cross threaded or both but either way I had to cut it off and put a pipe wrench on it. These are not steel so they are pretty soft. They have threads inside and out, a little bolt holds that big washer at the end in place and as Ive learned today the threads are not something that everyone has a tap and die set for. Long story short the threads on the motor bracket are ruined I gotta rethink it.
Back to transom now that I'm pissed. I brushed all the pieces and hammered back anything that was bent and hammered in the new wood, it fit like a glove. I used all sorts of clamps to line the holes back up and then drilled the holes through.

I needed something that would help stiffen the worn metal but not rot for a while and still be soft enough for the brackets on the boat motor to bite, cutting board. Don't tell my wife but I have this figured out. She cooked ginger chicken last night and used all the fresh vegetables which means she won't need it for a few days so I figure I can have it replaced before she goes back to the store, that's my plan anyway, if this plan don't work one of you boys finish this boat for me after I'm gone.

I gotta adjust some rollers on the trailer because this new one was for a flat bottom and there's no center roller in back and then put the boat on it and get ready for some flooring work. I'm glad today and that transom are both done.

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5849311 07/26/15 11:18 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
What cutting board confused2

That is how you play that..

Mounting bolt may be a problem, bet the hole it came from doesn't look much better? Would a helicoil and a new bolt work?

Dennis

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5849387 07/27/15 12:29 AM
C
cmc Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
The hole is not good. A helicoil might work, I was gonna buy a replacement but at this point it may be an "engineered" operation I'm still looking around.

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5849567 07/27/15 02:29 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Helicoil's are cheap if you can get one to grab in there, worst case, drill the hole one size bigger if you have enough plate room.

Dennis

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5849850 07/27/15 12:48 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: cmc

Those little sausage patties are great!

Looks like its coming along great

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5851614 07/28/15 02:09 PM
D
DTCOOPER Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
This looks like an awesome project for you guys..
One thing to keep in mind: Foaming inside the boat gains you ZERO stability or flotation during normal use.
You will NEVER see any benefit from foam until the boat is swamped or capsized..
Regardless of the flotation you put inside a boat, you're just adding weight and reducing its floating height in the water.
Lots of guys believe that they can add some foam to a boat, then add 500 pounds of accessories; and somehow the foam will "offset" the weight of the add-ons..
That's not how it works.

Daniel
Just Because... That's why.
Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5853014 07/29/15 10:03 AM
C
cmc Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
The seat I took out was foam, I feel I at least need to add that amount back in. I sank this boat once on Thanksgiving day and it scared the crap out of me so I'm hoping by adding foam that don't happen again.

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: cmc] #5853016 07/29/15 10:13 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Just wear "floaties" grin

Dennis

Re: Project Blue Fin [Re: Western] #5855547 07/30/15 06:01 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Just wear "floaties" grin

Or, just take a female along that has big floaties. grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread