Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ruger RPR [Re: Judd] #5850688 07/27/15 09:54 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Judd
Looks like a great gun for entry level PRS/club practical shooting matches. That game isn't easy to get in cheap to try it out just to see if you like it. I like the fact people are thinking about ways to get new shooters into any competition sport.

Especially when one considers the cost of some of the other accessories needed mainly optics.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Ruger RPR [Re: dee] #5851183 07/28/15 02:30 AM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Ruger's got a pretty good track record of developing and marketing weapons that the market wants.

I wouldn't bet against this one being a commercial success.

Re: Ruger RPR [Re: dredd] #5851534 07/28/15 01:20 PM
J
J McCoy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I'm glad that manufactures are actually listening to their customers and bringing guns to market people actually want. This will keep them viable in the market place and insure they are around another 50-100 years. Those that keep bringing out the same old crap... well, we all know what happens to those manufactures.

Re: Ruger RPR [Re: charlesb] #5851559 07/28/15 01:35 PM
R
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Your post shows that you have a very myopic view of the world.

If your post had any merit I'd need to buy new rifles for my hunting, and recreational shooting.

If you are too weak and out of shape to carry a 10-15 pound rifle I'd venture to say that your time would be better spent on physical conditioning and diet than hunting. I say that not necessarily for your benefit but for anyone in your life that relies on you.

Me, my lightest rifle is 15 lbs. no theory here, only actual experience.
* Does it have a folder? Yes. Once I used one, I'll will always want that feature for any future purchases.
* Do I compete? No.
* Do I pack it? No, I sling carry and walk 4-6 miles on a typical day/night hunting.
* Do I have a "heavy" folder to be tacti-cool? No. If that were the case, I'd be wasting my time b/c no one sees me, since I hunt alone more often than naught.

In addition to the previously mentioned transport and storage benefits; cleaning is extremely easy, since I like a high cheek weld, I simply fold the stock out of the way for bolt removal, and no solvents end up on the stock.

Originally Posted By: charlesb

So, now the 9.7-11 pound Ruger RPR is going to be a backpack rifle.

I don't think so.

These rationalizations for the folding stock on a bolt gun are going farther and farther out into left field.

And yes, silly is silly; No doubt about that.

If you look hard enough, one can come up with a theoretical use for just about anything. I'd say though, that the bottom of the barrel has been scraped clean if we are talking about ten pound backpack guns, now.

Myopic

Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 07/28/15 02:25 PM.
Re: Ruger RPR [Re: Rockfish Dave] #5851640 07/28/15 02:21 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Rockfish Dave

If your post had any merit I'd need to buy new rifles for my hunting, and recreational shooting. If you are too weak and out of shape to carry a 10-15 pound rifle I'd venture to say that your time would be better spent on physical conditioning and diet than hunting. I say that not necessarily for your benefit but for anyone in your life that relies on you.

Me, my lightest rifle is 15 lbs. no theory here, only actual experience. Does it have a folder? Yes. Once I used one, I'll will always want that feature for any future purchases. Do I compete? No. Do I pack it? No, I sling carry and walk 4-6 miles on a typical day/night hunting. Do I do it to be tacti-cool? If so, I'm wasting my time b/c no one sees me, since I hunt alone.

In addition to the previously mentioned transport and storage benefits; cleaning is extremely easy, since I like a high cheek weld, I simply fold the stock out of the way for bolt removal, and no solvents end up on the stock.

I don't think so.

These rationalizations for the folding stock on a bolt gun are going farther and farther out into left field.

If you look hard enough, one can come up with a theoretical use for just about anything. I'd say though, that the bottom of the barrel has been scraped clean if we are talking about ten pound backpack guns, now.

Myopic

I agree Dave, he seems to have a very one sided black and white opinion.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Ruger RPR [Re: dredd] #5851980 07/28/15 05:40 PM
R
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Although I like the features and price point, I have adopted a wait and see attitude to see how these shake out for the general market.

It seems like a great concept, now it is a wait and see how the mass production execution of the concept turns out.

Re: Ruger RPR [Re: Rockfish Dave] #5852325 07/28/15 09:29 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

It seems like a great concept, now it is a wait and see how the mass production execution of the concept turns out.

this is my big fear... that the test guns were actually "finer" gun quality than what you will see in the real world...

We'll see

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: Ruger RPR [Re: catslayer] #5852574 07/28/15 11:53 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'd love to borrow one and about a hundred rounds of ammo. I'll provide the scope and wring out what the rifle can really do.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Ruger RPR [Re: Rockfish Dave] #5852861 07/29/15 03:12 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I don't think so.

If your post had any merit I'd need to buy new rifles for my hunting, and recreational shooting.

If you are too weak and out of shape to carry a 10-15 pound rifle I'd venture to say that your time would be better spent on physical conditioning and diet than hunting. I say that not necessarily for your benefit but for anyone in your life that relies on you.

Me, my lightest rifle is 15 lbs. no theory here, only actual experience.
* Does it have a folder? Yes. Once I used one, I'll will always want that feature for any future purchases.
* Do I compete? No.
* Do I pack it? No, I sling carry and walk 4-6 miles on a typical day/night hunting.
* Do I have a "heavy" folder to be tacti-cool? No. If that were the case, I'd be wasting my time b/c no one sees me, since I hunt alone more often than naught.

Myopic

Good post but you're comments and the quote are kinda out of order so I made it this way to be easier to understand.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Ruger RPR [Re: dredd] #5853062 07/29/15 11:17 AM
6.5x47Lapua Offline
Tracker
Tracker
With a 1k budget, I think my money would go to a tikka ctr in 260.

But having options is never a bad thing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide