B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: Fez
Oh, the prices! I never go in there with the intention of buying firearms from them because they are overpriced, even when it comes to transfers only. Who honestly expects someone to pay $60+ for a transfer? But, it is a good place to get a hands-on feel for certain guns that would otherwise be unavailable in other shops.

The other good thing about Gander Mountain is that the girls that work in the clothing department are usually pretty cute smile

Now, Bass Pro, on the other hand, is overpriced too, but sometimes they have a good deal on certain ammo, and they also have an indoor archery range.

They may be dumb, and have high prices, but the GM in Mesquite is the only place in DFW that carries my hunting ammo for the 460Mag, and it's $20 a box less then online retailers. Still, at $54 for 20 rounds it ain't cheap, but they get my business

Too skeered to hand load, evidently.

No, just don't have the components or space to do it. Haven't found a reliable reloaded that actually produces the numbers they advertise. Bought from a "reputable" reloader, he told me they were 300 gr @ 1450fps. My chronograph said 980fps at best with about 75fps variance.

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5746066 05/16/15 02:42 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Bigpig I'm loading straight from hodgdon data but have no real specs because I'm shooting from a 2.5" Alaskan. I would be happy to load some for you to check out. I'll figure actual cost so you can compare. Not much invested so I'd be happy to give them to you for your reference on hand loads vs factory.

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5746387 05/16/15 01:35 PM
T
tth_40 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I got an excellent deal on my wife's 7mm-08 T3 last year at Gander when they were running one of their sales, they beat Cabelas sale price by 50 bucks. Out of curiosity, I went to the ammo section to check out their pricing.

Took me 10 minutes to catch my breath after the laughing fit. rofl

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5746491 05/16/15 02:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
When Gander came to Corsicana all us guys were real excited.

First time I went two things struck me:

1)Prices 15-30% higher than normal on over half their entire inventory; and
2)A bunch of useless things for Yankees - stuff like ice augers, ice fishing shanties, license holder for displaying it on your back, etc....

The store here hardly ever has more than 5-10 vehicles parked outside. Maybe 15-20 on a Saturday. Only way they are in business has to be the company propping them up. I'm surprised GM as a whole is still in business.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 05/16/15 02:49 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5746664 05/16/15 05:09 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I don't get how they stay open either. The store in Sherman has very low traffic. Sometimes I'm the only one in the store. I've only bought a few things there due to high price. It is convenient for me to put my hands on things. Occasionally they'll have a close-out on something and I'll buy but not often.

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5746715 05/16/15 05:46 PM
Beaubien Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I get my license at the one in Amarillo. It is an adventure, I always get the new person. They must not sell too many out of state licenses. Takes them quite a while to find the right one. Every year I have to convince them there are more available than the five day version.

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5746766 05/16/15 06:42 PM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Walmart has good gun prices if you can't afford Gander Mountain.

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: colt45-90] #5746807 05/16/15 07:39 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: Precision_Shooter
Things I've learned from Gander Mountain:

If you wear a Gander Mountain shirt, you automatically are graced with the overwhelming knowledge of how to sound stupid every time you open your mouth.

You also know more than anyone and will tell the customer what you want them to hear instead of what is factual and may not lead to a sale.

The prices are higher than anyone else and getting any help takes an act of congress.

All of which ensure I don't step foot in Gander Mountain.
sounds like some of the stuff you hear @ gun shows

And almost every other business that sells guns, especially gun shops.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5746811 05/16/15 07:46 PM
D
DeerSlayer31 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I go there to touch guns before I buy somewhere else. The guys are idiots when it comes to gun knowledge but Academy isnt much better on the aspect. We have both here in Mesquite but I by far prefer Academy.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5747085 05/17/15 12:15 AM
B
breadman Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
thank the good lord there not working on our cars !!!!!!

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: wp75169] #5747431 05/17/15 04:36 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: wp75169
Bigpig I'm loading straight from hodgdon data but have no real specs because I'm shooting from a 2.5" Alaskan. I would be happy to load some for you to check out. I'll figure actual cost so you can compare. Not much invested so I'd be happy to give them to you for your reference on hand loads vs factory.

That'd be awesome. I'll have to get ahold of another chrono, mine took a dive on concrete and broke. But would definitely like to try some

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5747645 05/17/15 02:20 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I don't understand how the Lubbock Gander stays in business either. Very little traffic. They've been open several years and I've spent less than $100 there in total, and only on sale items that I knew to be decent deals. Never many cars in the lot and they built the building in a high-rent area. Overhead has to be crushing them.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5747695 05/17/15 03:01 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Places like that make me wonder if they are laundering cash.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5747743 05/17/15 03:34 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
You know, I find, it doesn't really matter which store you shop at, the guy behind the counter is 99% of the time a know it all idiot, whatever they say is the ONLY way, it's amazing they "sell" anything.

There is a DipSht at the gun counter at Cabela's Allen. I was shopping scopes, all he could talk about was what he carried and used in the "Sand Box" I guess he wanted me to kiss his azz. I love to support our troops but .....that's another thread.

The only scopes which were what I needed were the ones he had in stock. What a shame.

When he showed me a couple pistols and rifles, he shouldered them like he was in a 3 gun match, showing me his awesome shooting form jeeeeeez

When I retire and go to work there part time, ya'll come see me. If I act like him, punch me in the neck flame

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5747975 05/17/15 06:59 PM
C
Cleric Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
I understand style difference....military vs hunter vs tactical 2.0

but lying to customers is just wrong....I feel bad for all those people that have 1 in 9 twist weapons that are only accurate to 150 yards

Hell last time i went to cabbalas in allen, no one would talk to me. they were too busy trying to fight over which girl they were going to help next

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5748096 05/17/15 09:02 PM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
A couple years ago, my mother wanted to look at handguns so I took her to Gander Mountain. She has arthritis so we were trying to find a 9 mm that she could rack the slide on.

She asked to look at a Springfield XD and the guy behind the counter looked at her like she was crazy. He informed us that the XD is a "center mass fire arm". It's only accurate enough to shoot someone center mass. He got out a $2000 1911 instead to show us a "precision firearm". We learned that is what my 67 year-old mother needs to shoot someone in the head at 25 yards, because people who are shot in the head don't testify against you in court. "No point in kicking in someone's door only to shoot them center mass".

My mother looked at me with a panicked look on her face, she didn't know she had to shoot someone in the head from 25 yards, or kick-in doors for that matter. I rolled my eyes and asked again to see the XD. The guy apologized and explained that he sometimes forgets that not every body spent 15 years on the SWAT team like he did.

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5748376 05/18/15 12:03 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
While there are certainly some very real exceptions, it just wouldn't enter my mind to seek guidance from a person behind the counter of a big box store of any kind........

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: BigPig] #5748390 05/18/15 12:15 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: wp75169

That'd be awesome. I'll have to get ahold of another chrono, mine took a dive on concrete and broke. But would definitely like to try some

I'll be back at work in forney Tuesday night. I'll bring some then.

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Marc K] #5748426 05/18/15 12:49 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Marc Kurth
While there are certainly some very real exceptions, it just wouldn't enter my mind to seek guidance from a person behind the counter of a big box store of any kind........

^^^True that^^^

I cannot count the bad/outrageous advise I have received from "professionals" at different stores.

While at a local gun shop I was looking for a sling for my AR. I was met by a guy that looked like Inspector Gadget goes to war. I explained that I only needed a strap as I just needed to get from the Ranger to the blind without having to hold the gun while I climbed the stairs to the blind.
The guy showed me some contraption that had all sorts of crazy options, it looked like a harness. He explained that if I was ever patrolling streets this was a good thing to have, and demonstrated some moves that would be handy for shooting citizens.
I again explained that I needed a strap, and that I was just hog hunting. He continued to explain how I could change to different loops and it worked great if I was ever "clearing a house." I received another demonstration that was quite entertaining.
My God that guy was nutso. I left.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Simple Searcher] #5748478 05/18/15 01:50 AM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
The guy showed me some contraption that had all sorts of crazy options, it looked like a harness. He explained that if I was ever patrolling streets this was a good thing to have, and demonstrated some moves that would be handy for shooting citizens.

roflmao

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Marc K] #5748540 05/18/15 02:17 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

That is true. I rarely buy a weapon at those stores anyway. When I do it's just ask for the one I want, buy it, and get outta there.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5748874 05/18/15 01:29 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I don't understand how the Lubbock Gander stays in business either. Very little traffic. They've been open several years and I've spent less than $100 there in total, and only on sale items that I knew to be decent deals. Never many cars in the lot and they built the building in a high-rent area. Overhead has to be crushing them.

Them and Joe's Crab Shack are 2 great mysteries!

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Simple Searcher] #5748878 05/18/15 01:32 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R

^^^True that^^^

I cannot count the bad/outrageous advise I have received from "professionals" at different stores.

While at a local gun shop I was looking for a sling for my AR. I was met by a guy that looked like Inspector Gadget goes to war. I explained that I only needed a strap as I just needed to get from the Ranger to the blind without having to hold the gun while I climbed the stairs to the blind.
I again explained that I needed a strap, and that I was just hog hunting. He continued to explain how I could change to different loops and it worked great if I was ever "clearing a house." I received another demonstration that was quite entertaining.
My God that guy was nutso. I left.

And as we speak same guy is posting on Facebook about Jade Helm 15! hammer

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Varget 7-08] #5749252 05/18/15 05:49 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Varget 7-08

roflmao

Josiah,
As my profile location shows Helotes, I would like to point out that this was NOT Gun Shack that this happened at.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Things i learned from Gander Mountain [Re: Cleric] #5751170 05/19/15 10:55 PM
R
ralph Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Those "expert" guys are hilarious. The problem is they do sell guns to the unsuspecting and gullible. I have never dealt with any quite as "out there" as "SWAT guy" or "Inspector Gadget" but I have seen the same kind as customers and especially walking the aisles at gun shows. I like to eavesdrop on some of their conversations but I never talk with them. I'm afraid I couldn't keep a straight face.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide