Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Land owners [Re: aeb] #5670312 03/26/15 04:52 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: aeb
I just really can not imagine my place being anything other than a year round experience for all my hunters and their families. There is never an off-season on my ranch. Deer, turkey, hogs, ducks, dove, squirrel...all the usual suspects but there is this thing called fun and that i s what I am selling. And yes, I've had gates left open. I've had to modify a few gates because some city folks just can't get the hang of wire gates. grin Shoot, I've left a few gates open/unlocked in my day. No harm done. I've had some guys that could tear up a crowbar but that comes with the game. When I open the gate to folks that have spent most of their adult life on a city lot, a few broken crowbars are to be expected. On the other hand, I include a couple of extra crowbars when I price my lease. grin

Spring break, I had several dads and their sons out. Weather was wet, cold and miserable, but the young kids and the old kids had a blast. What's a little mud when you are a teenager. Lord only knows how many miles those kids (young and old) put on their ATV's that week. I may have to do a bit of blading but the roads will soon heal....the memories will last forever. Don't get me wrong. My year round lease is definitely a business but when it is fun for my guys, it is fun for me. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Your attitude is much appreciated Aeb and refreshing, as a leaser and a leasee

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Land owners [Re: aeb] #5670398 03/26/15 05:22 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: aeb
I just really can not imagine my place being anything other than a year round experience for all my hunters and their families. There is never an off-season on my ranch. Deer, turkey, hogs, ducks, dove, squirrel...all the usual suspects but there is this thing called fun and that i s what I am selling. And yes, I've had gates left open. I've had to modify a few gates because some city folks just can't get the hang of wire gates. grin Shoot, I've left a few gates open/unlocked in my day. No harm done. I've had some guys that could tear up a crowbar but that comes with the game. When I open the gate to folks that have spent most of their adult life on a city lot, a few broken crowbars are to be expected. On the other hand, I include a couple of extra crowbars when I price my lease. grin

Spring break, I had several dads and their sons out. Weather was wet, cold and miserable, but the young kids and the old kids had a blast. What's a little mud when you are a teenager. Lord only knows how many miles those kids (young and old) put on their ATV's that week. I may have to do a bit of blading but the roads will soon heal....the memories will last forever. Don't get me wrong. My year round lease is definitely a business but when it is fun for my guys, it is fun for me. Wouldn't have it any other way.

up

[Linked Image]
Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5670420 03/26/15 05:32 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
This has been said, but if it is a year around lease, then it means that the hunter has the privilege per agreement to access the property year around. I can see where problems arise when you have too many hunters on a property; however, where I hunt we limit our hunters to 1 per 1000 acres, so having a dozen guys show up on your property at any given time during the "offseason" is not an issue.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5671384 03/27/15 02:34 AM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I enjoyed my last yr round lease, we always called ahead of time as requested. We cleaned up after ourselves and reported any occurrences we came across. The LO appreciated that we kept up on his cabin and we always let him know what we shot or saw on out hunts. He didn't mind us heading up anytime since it was an annual lease. I looked at an "annual" lease last week that was really a seasonal lease. They let you come out to check feeders in the off season in two preset weekends. Wouldn't have worked for us, we enjoy the woods and live to just get away throughout the year.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5671422 03/27/15 02:48 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
There are only 4 on the place we hunt and we can go anytime with family. We do keep the place cleaned up, watch for a problem with ranchers cattle and generally do what needs to be done.
All is well going on 14 years. The actual hunting is not as good as I would like but there are many plus factors.

Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5671726 03/27/15 11:33 AM
W
Western Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I was on one lease outside Sterling, LO had it set up for year round and encouraged us to come out anytime, didn't need to call.. He treated everyone like a grown man, until someone did something stupid.

The 2nd night I stayed out there, there where 11 of us total, (work weekend.) I knew only 2 of them well. Suffice to say 6 got chit faced and ended up driving around 1/2 the night shooting and carrying on like children. Bright and early the ranch showed up with 4-5 ranch hands and removed those 6 fells, then and there! LO was a great guy I had many conversations with over 2 years, even helped him pull a few windmills when he was short handed, but he did not tolerate an once of stupidity. This LO was what you would picture as a West Teas rancher, best man you could know unless you pizz him off.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5671886 03/27/15 01:26 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Year around lease is only that if you can visit it year round. For me that's a deal breaker if I can't come and go throughout the year. I look at the hunting as the icing on the cake. The cake itself is getting away from the metro mess and enjoying the outdoors with friends and family.

Our ranch owners like us to vist regularly. We are the land stewards that help keep things clean and alert them to problems we see with water stations, livestock, roads and trespassers.

This is just as important to them as the acess is to us. But we are talking about people and relationships with these arrangements. If your not prepared to have bumps in the road and handle them accordingly, you should never lease your land to start with.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide