Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: howa guns... be honest [Re: ChadTRG42] #5627409 03/01/15 03:44 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
The thread pitch stays the same. The threading is slightly cone shaped. I'm not a gun smith, but I know several who I have talked to about the Howa/Weatherby actions on this, and all agree it's a PITA to work on. They won't work on it for 2 reasons- the metric threading (changing the gearing on their lathe) and the progressive threading. Sure you can do it, but it's a PITA to do and most smith's won't mess with them.

Changing to metric threading on my lathe is not all that tough. And, as I outlined above, dealing with progressively tighter threading is trivial as well. Tell those smiths that I said that they are all lightweights, and they need to man up.

Most smiths start off as bench workers, pick up a few machining skills and are afraid to learn much more... - I started off as a custom job-shop machinist before I ever got involved in gunsmithing, so it's hard to scare me with metric threads, or putting in five minutes with a file to taper the last bit of thread on a barrel.

Geeze!

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: howa guns... be honest [Re: kmon11] #5627423 03/01/15 03:50 AM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Originally Posted By: HorizonFirearms
The thread pitch stays the same. The threading is slightly cone shaped. I'm not a gun smith, but I know several who I have talked to about the Howa/Weatherby actions on this, and all agree it's a PITA to work on. They won't work on it for 2 reasons- the metric threading (changing the gearing on their lathe) and the progressive threading. Sure you can do it, but it's a PITA to do and most smith's won't mess with them.

Bingo we have done a few and have one now it is almost impossible to get those barrels off.

Cut a relief ring around the barrel at the receiver, relieves tension for removing the barrel.

Yep except when the guy wants to keep the barrel

Re: howa guns... be honest [Re: charlesb] #5627424 03/01/15 03:51 AM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: charlesb

Changing to metric threading on my lathe is not all that tough. And, as I outlined above, dealing with progressively tighter threading is trivial as well. Tell those smiths that I said that they are all lightweights, and they need to man up.

Most smiths start off as bench workers, pick up a few machining skills and are afraid to learn much more... - I started off as a custom job-shop machinist before I ever got involved in gunsmithing, so it's hard to scare me with metric threads, or putting in five minutes with a file to taper the last bit of thread on a barrel.

Geeze!

Not worth it when there are better options out there

Re: howa guns... be honest [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5627640 03/01/15 07:33 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: kmon1

Bingo we have done a few and have one now it is almost impossible to get those barrels off.

Cut a relief ring around the barrel at the receiver, relieves tension for removing the barrel.

Yep except when the guy wants to keep the barrel

bang

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: howa guns... be honest [Re: catslayer] #5629000 03/02/15 12:29 AM
W
Wildhorse Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
They shoot reeeeleey reeeley goood....

Sometimes I don't though, but still...