Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5583695 02/05/15 02:35 PM
B
bluewingwidowmaker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Been waiting to get this off my chest.

Went on a guided trip the last day of the season. I won't name the outfitter cause I've had good experiences with them previously and don't want to smear their name because of one stupid guide.

The spot looked great, big freshwater reservoir down by the coast. We could hear blue wings quacking in the marshy stuff behind us before the sun came up. Figured it would be an awesome limit in under an hour.

Then things changed. The closest decoy the guide set was 50 yrds from us. Made zero sense to me but I know I'm super particular about decoy setup and I could tell my friends just wanted me to sit back and enjoy the hunt. I convinced myself the guide knew something I didn't and kept my trap shut. As I expected though, the ducks either landed in the decoys or on the other side. Also, the permanent blind in the middle of this reservoir is pointed directly at the rising sun. for real?

Early on a group of 10 circles around and actually gets close enough to shoot at. We all raise up and start shooting and the guide points to the birds 'he got' and says 'I got that one, I got that one!'.

Later, we decided we needed to jump up the birds that landed on the other side of the decoys so we could have a chance at some coming on our side. One buddy and I start wading across to jump em up. We realize the guide is wading 20 yrds to our right and going faster than us. He notices I'm eyeing him wondering what he's doing and says 'Did yall want to shoot those birds or do you want me to?'. I look at my friend completely confused and I tell the guy we'll try to get close enough and shoot em. two seconds later the guide shoots.

On topic of the thread. a normal $150-$175 duck hunt, I'd say $20-$50 per person is normal and fair depending on your experience. This guy got $40 from the 3 of us.

I would continue about how the guide sky busted geese from the other side of the pond as ducks circled us in the blind but I guess I should actually work today.

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."
Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5583823 02/05/15 03:38 PM
B
blackfoot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Keep it simple stupid..... $20/guy/hunt.

Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5584009 02/05/15 05:05 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I tip a guide like a waitress, 10-20%. Rare exceptions I go above or below. Below is usually reserved for guides who are not there to help my hunt, but just having me there to pay for their hunting habit.

Re: Tipping fees [Re: Dave Speer] #5584017 02/05/15 05:07 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
20% to start.

Re: Tipping fees [Re: bluewingwidowmaker] #5584024 02/05/15 05:15 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: bluewingwidowmaker
This guy got $40 from the 3 of us?

You were generous.

A guide is there to guide. Not hunt.

Re: Tipping fees [Re: Nathan Nelson] #5584120 02/05/15 05:51 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: Nathan Nelson
Depends on the hunt and more importantly the guide...

Bingo

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Tipping fees [Re: bluewingwidowmaker] #5584913 02/05/15 11:28 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bluewingwidowmaker
Been waiting to get this off my chest.

Went on a guided trip the last day of the season. I won't name the outfitter cause I've had good experiences with them previously and don't want to smear their name because of one stupid guide.

The spot looked great, big freshwater reservoir down by the coast. We could hear blue wings quacking in the marshy stuff behind us before the sun came up. Figured it would be an awesome limit in under an hour.

Then things changed. The closest decoy the guide set was 50 yrds from us. Made zero sense to me but I know I'm super particular about decoy setup and I could tell my friends just wanted me to sit back and enjoy the hunt. I convinced myself the guide knew something I didn't and kept my trap shut. As I expected though, the ducks either landed in the decoys or on the other side. Also, the permanent blind in the middle of this reservoir is pointed directly at the rising sun. for real?

Early on a group of 10 circles around and actually gets close enough to shoot at. We all raise up and start shooting and the guide points to the birds 'he got' and says 'I got that one, I got that one!'.

Later, we decided we needed to jump up the birds that landed on the other side of the decoys so we could have a chance at some coming on our side. One buddy and I start wading across to jump em up. We realize the guide is wading 20 yrds to our right and going faster than us. He notices I'm eyeing him wondering what he's doing and says 'Did yall want to shoot those birds or do you want me to?'. I look at my friend completely confused and I tell the guy we'll try to get close enough and shoot em. two seconds later the guide shoots.

On topic of the thread. a normal $150-$175 duck hunt, I'd say $20-$50 per person is normal and fair depending on your experience. This guy got $40 from the 3 of us.

I would continue about how the guide sky busted geese from the other side of the pond as ducks circled us in the blind but I guess I should actually work today.

I wouldn't mind hearing the rest of the story lol. That must have been very annoying, sounds like you handled it with grace.

Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5584985 02/06/15 12:03 AM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sounds like a pretty normal experience on the prairie

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5585014 02/06/15 12:16 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
If you have a group of 3-4 hunters, Guides shouldnt shoot.
They can carry a gun to finish a cripple accross the pond, but i have seen soo many guides shooting ducks when i was ready to pull a double
confused2

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5585080 02/06/15 12:39 AM
F
FowledUp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
If it is the owner of the guide service guiding and you are paying them directly do you still tip them?

Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5585084 02/06/15 12:40 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
When I went on guided hunts, if the guide shot, that was his tip. I have even had a couple ask if they could shoot in lieu of tip. If I have to wake up at 3am and help set up, probably won't get a tip. If guide gives me the spot to meet him/her 30 minutes before LST, their tip max just went up!

Re: Tipping fees [Re: Pittstate] #5585318 02/06/15 01:57 AM
L
Leonardo Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
When I went on guided hunts, if the guide shot, that was his tip. I have even had a couple ask if they could shoot in lieu of tip. If I have to wake up at 3am and help set up, probably won't get a tip. If guide gives me the spot to meet him/her 30 minutes before LST, their tip max just went up!

I guide and I shoot sparingly but I never take the first shot. Typically shoot birds that I know have been hit or sometimes shoot to make sure we get birds on the ground. I have put too many guns together the morning of the hunt and watched too many guys get mad because they killed three birds with two boxes of shells. 9 out of 10 hunters judge the experience by the picture at the end.

A group of birds shot at are a group that will never be back. Might as well kill all of them you can. However customers come first and if they don't want me to shoot at all I don't.

Re: Tipping fees [Re: beaversnipe] #5585339 02/06/15 02:06 AM
L
Limit Extender Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
They can carry a gun to finish a cripple accross the pond, but i have seen soo many guides shooting ducks when i was ready to pull a double
confused2

I bet the only time you double is when the guide drops at least one of them and then turns to you and congrats you on the "double". banana

Re: Tipping fees [Re: Limit Extender] #5585365 02/06/15 02:18 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
confused2

I bet the only time you double is when the guide drops at least one of them and then turns to you and congrats you on the "double". banana

That's a good guide. grin

Re: Tipping fees [Re: Pittstate] #5585372 02/06/15 02:21 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Absolutely.
I have been with too many guides that think me and my guest are the hired help, when I am the one paying them.
I do not mind lending a hand, but I did not pay a guide for him to expect me to do the work.
I also tip accordingly.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Tipping fees [Re: Leonardo] #5585387 02/06/15 02:26 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Leonardo

I guide and I shoot sparingly but I never take the first shot. Typically shoot birds that I know have been hit or sometimes shoot to make sure we get birds on the ground. I have put too many guns together the morning of the hunt and watched too many guys get mad because they killed three birds with two boxes of shells. 9 out of 10 hunters judge the experience by the picture at the end.

A group of birds shot at are a group that will never be back. Might as well kill all of them you can. However customers come first and if they don't want me to shoot at all I don't.

That's the way I feel on my lease, all birds need to die when they come in. It would be a very annoying as a guide to have clients that can't shoot and don't want you to shoot.

Re: Tipping fees [Re: Limit Extender] #5585514 02/06/15 03:35 AM
B
BarneyWho Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
confused2

rofl rofl SOLID!! clap

Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5585539 02/06/15 03:53 AM
T
TOMCAT21 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I usually tip $20 per gun - $40 total for my son and myself. Only hunt I didn't tip this year is hunt where I never even shouldered my gun and still got to pay full price. I did get to pick up all the decoys as the guide never bothered to put his waders on. The icing on the cake was the dents in my truck from the stupid cows rubbing on it while we hunted. Guide did come to my truck door twice fishing for a tip but I wasn't biting.

Last edited by TOMCAT21; 02/06/15 04:15 AM.
Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5585571 02/06/15 04:10 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I agree with BOBO's phantom post earlier, sometimes you gotta shoot to help out the guys who can't. I had a group this year that at 7:24 were fumbling around for box #2 and had 4 dead birds so far, 4 man group. By the time we finished at 9:45 they had probably shot into 130 birds or more. I still won't shoot first, that was worst case scenario and I would just wait until everyone started shooting at the same two birds and I'd jump in with em, try to 'hide' my shots the best I could. We would have ended up with about 10 birds and ate lunch in the blind if I hadn't shot my alloted 6.....

Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5585757 02/06/15 12:07 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Always worried about lunch

#sigline
Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5585761 02/06/15 12:11 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Winter wheat just doesn't have the carbs this temple needs to thrive Ronnie

Re: Tipping fees [Re: Ramball36] #5585902 02/06/15 02:05 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Ramball36
I agree with BOBO's phantom post earlier, sometimes you gotta shoot to help out the guys who can't.

If I was stalking a brown bear or a lion with a guide and he shot at it at the same time I did to "help out", I'd fire the guy on the spot.

I don't get the rationale. Why not hand the guy some dead ducks and dispense with the hunting part? They're hunters, they are hunting, they have a shotgun, shells, licenses, stamp, etc. They have some degree of preparation and know it's a bit more complicated than other types of wing shooting. At what point is a customer expected to pull their own weight? If the guys are given opportunities to kill birds, and they can't because they can't hit the side of a barn, that's their problem. It's analogous to taking a client on a guided fly fishing trip, hooking a fish, reeling it in and having the client net the fish.

If you're honest with yourself, the "I shoot to help out 'cause no one shoots as good as I do" or "they can't hit anything" mentality is nothing more than a thinly disguised excuse to hunt with a client. If a paid guide wants to shoot (and who wouldn't:) I don't have a problem with him pulling a trigger as long as he's not a "claimer" or expects to keep birds and he's honest about it, particularly when he's hunting in a group. It really harshes the vibe on a group hunt for everyone else when that one person acts like each duck is worth it's weight in gold and get's possessive with birds and starts the "I shot that one! I shot that one!" BS.

The purpose is to provide the client the opportunity for a successful hunt. if you've done that, you've done your job.

Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5585971 02/06/15 02:32 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Aerangis you seem to be very aggressive in your post lately

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Tipping fees [Re: farmall1246] #5585976 02/06/15 02:34 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Posting a video of banding wood ducks is aggressive?

Stating my opinion about guides is agressive?

Jeff, are you a soccer mom?

Re: Tipping fees [Re: aerangis] #5585986 02/06/15 02:38 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: aerangis
Originally Posted By: Ramball36
I agree with BOBO's phantom post earlier, sometimes you gotta shoot to help out the guys who can't.

I don't get the rationale. Why not hand the guy some dead ducks and dispense with the hunting part? They're hunters, they are hunting, they have a shotgun, shells, licenses, stamp, etc. They have some degree of preparation and know it's a bit more complicated than other types of wing shooting. At what point is a customer expected to pull their own weight? If the guys are given opportunities to kill birds, and they can't because they can't hit the side of a barn, that's their problem.
It's no different than taking a client on a guided fly fishing trip, hooking a fish, handing the rod to the client and having them reel it in.
If I was stalking a brown bear with a guide and he shot at it at the same time I did to "help out", I'd fire the guy on the spot. I may as well be a spectator.

Your opinion is probably derived because of the angle in which you are seeing the situation. You are looking at it from a "Hunter's" side. I ran a whole lot of hunts back in the day and it is a totally different world than just going out with friends. The name of the game is not to put birds in the decoys. That is merely a tool in which you use to make the money in their pocket land in your pocket.
When you are a guide you are not guiding people to birds. There are a ton of other things involved. As a guide you base the success on the amount of money that is placed in your pocket. The customer bases the success of his hunt with the amount of birds on a strap. Most often times they are not wise enough to know the difference of who shot what. A succesful guide will look at someone and say "Nice shot" when they hand over a banded bird, knowing the whole time he killed it.
Notice I used Succesful and nothing else. We can hash out if it is right or wrong later. For now though, that is how it is. That is why I am not a huge fan of guiding. I would rather just go hunting. I took out 4 groups last year. 2 groups were freakin aweful. I actually considered just getting on the ranger and driving away, leaving that group right where they sat. One more snide comment and I had my mind made up to just go. The only reason I stayed was because I gave my word to my friend I would guide them. I promise you had they been my group. They would have had about a 3 mile walk back to their truck. Now the next day was a black and white difference. I had a father and son group and they were gentlmen. We wound up hammering the birds too. That was probably the best guiding day I have had in years. I would hunt with them any day.

Last edited by wal1809; 02/06/15 02:40 PM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide