Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Kevin820] #5556196 01/21/15 08:26 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Kevin820
Im not complaining at all....I do enjoy the diversity my area offers. we have only had it for 4 years so still learning about it. I have no aoudad however. Im assuming they start few miles south and west of me

Give them time. If you think a hog is bad then you will understand what an Aoudad is to West Texas. grin You can tell I don't care for Elk and Aoudads. Oh and hogs too. roflmao

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Elkhunter49] #5556224 01/21/15 08:36 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
Originally Posted By: schmellba99
Originally Posted By: Navasot
I bet a range that wasn't native to elk could get wiped out by them pretty quick.

Historical Merriam elk range included almost all of west Texas, much of the panhandle and parts of the hill country before they were extirpated from Texas back in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Before the great plains became the farmland of the world, elk would range all across the flatlands grazing and then winter in the mountains. They are also native to areas of Kentucky, TN and Virginia as well.

Elk and mule deer may compete for the same food, but in every other state they seem to co-habitate very well without huge effects on each others numbers.

I'm glad to see elk coming back to TX - they are fun to hunt, awesome to hear bugling during the rut, and are massive animals that provide a huge amount of some of the best venison you can get.

A bull will keep an average of about 60k acres as his home territory and cows tend to stay around 38k acres.

Elk and Rocky mountain Muleys seem to co habitate well together but Desert Mulys don't compete too well with the Elk.

I hunted Mule deer almost every year in the Sacramento Mtns in New Mexico from the late 70's until the mid 90's. In the 70's the Mule Deer population was robust thru out southern NM but about the same time the Elk numbers begain increasing almost yearly and the deer numbers have been declining ever since. Years of mismanagement (too many tags sold) by New Mexico Department of Wildlife has played a part in this as well.

I prefer to hunt Elk over desert muleys anyway so it didn't bother me much but a non resident Elk tag is almost impossible to draw anymore. The Deer herd in Southern New Mexico is in terrible shape IMHO. Baker

Right..... but even after you said all that the fact is the new herds are not native.

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: stxranchman] #5556305 01/21/15 09:23 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Just because we work had as heck to make it so does not mean it needs to be so. Nature formed a balance out west without Elk and Aoudads. Mule Deer will not thrive and adapt like WT do when in competition with Elk and Aoudads. I think Texas should view Elk like New Zealand views exotics on the islands, nuisance animals.

While a few good Muley bucks are killed in West Texas each year, most that are harvested are pencil horned runts compared to their Rocky Mountain cousins. If that's a proper balance I'll pass.

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Elkhunter49] #5556324 01/21/15 09:29 PM
K
Kevin820 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
You sound exactly like my ignorant counterparts that live in Louisiana....wait, i see it now

texas:

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Kevin820] #5556335 01/21/15 09:37 PM
E
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
You sound exactly like my ignorant counterparts that live in Louisiana....wait, i see it now

texas:

Before I answer this are you referring to me?

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Navasot] #5556378 01/21/15 10:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I bet a range that wasn't native to elk could get wiped out by them pretty quick.

Historical Merriam elk range included almost all of west Texas, much of the panhandle and parts of the hill country before they were extirpated from Texas back in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Before the great plains became the farmland of the world, elk would range all across the flatlands grazing and then winter in the mountains. They are also native to areas of Kentucky, TN and Virginia as well.

Elk and mule deer may compete for the same food, but in every other state they seem to co-habitate very well without huge effects on each others numbers.

I'm glad to see elk coming back to TX - they are fun to hunt, awesome to hear bugling during the rut, and are massive animals that provide a huge amount of some of the best venison you can get.

A bull will keep an average of about 60k acres as his home territory and cows tend to stay around 38k acres.

Elk and Rocky mountain Muleys seem to co habitate well together but Desert Mulys don't compete too well with the Elk.

I hunted Mule deer almost every year in the Sacramento Mtns in New Mexico from the late 70's until the mid 90's. In the 70's the Mule Deer population was robust thru out southern NM but about the same time the Elk numbers begain increasing almost yearly and the deer numbers have been declining ever since. Years of mismanagement (too many tags sold) by New Mexico Department of Wildlife has played a part in this as well.

I prefer to hunt Elk over desert muleys anyway so it didn't bother me much but a non resident Elk tag is almost impossible to draw anymore. The Deer herd in Southern New Mexico is in terrible shape IMHO. Baker

Right..... but even after you said all that the fact is the new herds are not native.

Correct but same time it's a subspecies that actuay smaller then the Merriem, same reproduction cycle just smaller.

By your thinking southern NM and majority of AZ would also have habitat issues via the re-introduction

Mulie deer do not herd up like elk. Easier to take out a herd then hunt individuals or a few small pockets.

Canvasback is prized more for their meat then any other ducks in the late 1800's... Which duck suffered the most mallard or can?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: stxranchman] #5556392 01/21/15 10:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Im not complaining at all....I do enjoy the diversity my area offers. we have only had it for 4 years so still learning about it. I have no aoudad however. Im assuming they start few miles south and west of me

Give them time. If you think a hog is bad then you will understand what an Aoudad is to West Texas. grin You can tell I don't care for Elk and Aoudads. Oh and hogs too. roflmao

If your doing to roll that way don't forget big horns........

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: stxranchman] #5556404 01/21/15 10:12 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Just because we work had as heck to make it so does not mean it needs to be so. Nature formed a balance out west without Elk and Aoudads. Mule Deer will not thrive and adapt like WT do when in competition with Elk and Aoudads. I think Texas should view Elk like New Zealand views exotics on the islands, nuisance animals.

Your first sentence contradicts your second.

And I disagree with the view - I am a proponent of native species returning to their natural range. I'm also a fan of the increase in bear population in TX as well.

Down in my neck of the woods, I'd love for nothing more than for native prairie to be re-introduced, along with the abundant wildlife that it once supported (quail, for one).

Audads are a true exotic, eradicate them.

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Kevin820] #5556482 01/21/15 10:55 PM
S
shea.mcphail Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I feel stupid. I had no idea there were elk in Texas. scratch

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Kevin820] #5556490 01/21/15 11:01 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I saw some on Highway 46 south of Boerne - or maybe they were red deer. confused2

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Elkhunter49] #5556524 01/21/15 11:26 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

While a few good Muley bucks are killed in West Texas each year, most that are harvested are pencil horned runts compared to their Rocky Mountain cousins. If that's a proper balance I'll pass.

There are far more killed than reported. Just because you don't hear about them or see them does not mean they are not there.

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: schmellba99] #5556535 01/21/15 11:31 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Your first sentence contradicts your second.

And I disagree with the view - I am a proponent of native species returning to their natural range. I'm also a fan of the increase in bear population in TX as well.

Down in my neck of the woods, I'd love for nothing more than for native prairie to be re-introduced, along with the abundant wildlife that it once supported (quail, for one).

Audads are a true exotic, eradicate them.

Not really. The Elk left and Mule Deer numbers started to take off. Sheep and goats numbers decline and Mule Deer numbers started to grow. Now with Aoudads and Elk numbers increasing the Mule Deer numbers are declining. Interesting is it not? I am a proponent of Native species returning to there range also. These exotic Elk are not and will never be the native ones that were there. What does TPWD consider them? If the consider them a Big Game species they would regulate the season, but they don't. They are considered an exotic. The holy grail of record books does not consider them native either, only an exotic.

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5556538 01/21/15 11:31 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

If your doing to roll that way don't forget big horns........

Were Desert Big Horns ever totally gone?

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Kevin820] #5557532 01/22/15 02:10 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
To answer the question on how far they will go, there have been tagged bulls known to travel over 1,000 miles. That's extreme and why it made the news, but it does show that there really is no limit to how far one might go. My thinking is that if you only see one, then it's looking for others and it's going to keep moving until it finds a herd. Here in East Texas a few years ago somebody shot a 5x5 bull elk along the Sabine River. It made the news and all the speculation was about where it came from. Obviously he escaped a HF property, but when and where was never answered.

Eddie

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Kevin820] #5557758 01/22/15 03:40 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I asked this question on another forum with some pretty sharp cookies, this was one of the responses from a guy that knows his shiz about these things:

Quote:
There's a lot more to the decrease in West Texas Mule Deer that doesn't include Elk. If you ask many ranchers they'll pinpoint an increase in predators as a primary reason ( especially with the banning of Compound 1080 in the '70s for Coyote control). Cats are also a problem as deer are a preferred food source. For instance a lion will eat about one deer per week, but cats usually don't eat meat that has spoiled. So, in the summer when its 100+ degrees, how many deer will a lion kill per week.
Elk tend to graze more than browse like a Mule Deer and their numbers / distribution is pretty much limited to the Davis and Glass Mountains ( not to say there aren't other herds, just the highest concentration is there). The critter that I think is a greater threat is an Aoudad. They're known vectors for disease that will wipe out Desert Bighorns . Who's to say they don't disrupt Mule Deer in a like fashion.
Also, Mule Deer, unlike Whitetails generally don't sexually mature until they're 2 years old. That's one of the reasons you'll see a "family unit" of two Does, a small Buck and twin fawns. Its an old Doe with her progeny from last year and this year. Ergo, they don't breed as prolifically as Whitetails
Finally, like the rest of Texas, there has been a very significant drought for the last 15-20 years. I have not seen a recent census, but five years ago the numbers were rallying some......s till not to the numbers in the 70s,80s and early 90s.

And this, which goes back to my comment earlier that often times the numbers we currently see are not natural numbers, but inflated numbers due to supplemental feeding, protein feeding and basically alteration of the environment to saturate it beyond its natural carrying capacity:

Quote:
One other interesting factor that has impacted the deer in the Trans Pecos is the institution of protein supplements. I believe in it BUT not the same way they do in South Texas with Whitetails. Most people use creep feeders like they do in South Texas. Mule Deer tend to over utilize the feeders. And, once they establish one they don't venture far from it (unless its the rut). The other problem is you can rapidly alter the numbers to the point of "overstocking" (i.e. exceeding the carrying capacity of the native range.) I've believed for years that if people would do a little research and use management practices based on the exact species that they are working with (vs. just "deer" in general) the outcomes would be much improved !

Last edited by schmellba99; 01/22/15 03:50 PM.
Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: stxranchman] #5557778 01/22/15 03:48 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S

Not really. The Elk left and Mule Deer numbers started to take off. Sheep and goats numbers decline and Mule Deer numbers started to grow. Now with Aoudads and Elk numbers increasing the Mule Deer numbers are declining. Interesting is it not? I am a proponent of Native species returning to there range also. These exotic Elk are not and will never be the native ones that were there. What does TPWD consider them? If the consider them a Big Game species they would regulate the season, but they don't. They are considered an exotic. The holy grail of record books does not consider them native either, only an exotic.

Yes, actually you do contradict yourself. Nature formed a balance without elk simply because man decided to overhunt the species - it was not nature's choice, but rather deliberate actions by man. Much like with bison and a host of other species we consider trophies that were a dime a dozen 150 years ago.

And as far as the Rocky Mountain elk that were introduced not being native - there is a whole lot of debate on whether Merriam's was even it's own species, or simply a variation of the RM elk. Genetically, there is almost no difference between what we know from Merriam's DNA versus the RM DNA from current elk herds. Essentially, you are really getting into the splitting of hairs here - and peach fuzz hairs at that.

TWPD considers them an exotic, but that is purely legislative. For now. But they also readily concede that elk were once native to Texas.

Keep in mind that our beloved white tail in Texas are also, for the purposes of this discussion, not native to Texas - many hundreds, if not thousands, of white tails were re-introduced to Texas from Kansas after the depression era, when the state's heard was nearly wiped out due to over hunting. TWPD considers them native - largely because their budget depends on it.

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: schmellba99] #5557874 01/22/15 04:30 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I asked this question on another forum with some pretty sharp cookies, this was one of the responses from a guy that knows his shiz about these things:

Quote:
There's a lot more to the decrease in West Texas Mule Deer that doesn't include Elk. If you ask many ranchers they'll pinpoint an increase in predators as a primary reason ( especially with the banning of Compound 1080 in the '70s for Coyote control). Cats are also a problem as deer are a preferred food source. For instance a lion will eat about one deer per week, but cats usually don't eat meat that has spoiled. So, in the summer when its 100+ degrees, how many deer will a lion kill per week.
Elk tend to graze more than browse like a Mule Deer and their numbers / distribution is pretty much limited to the Davis and Glass Mountains ( not to say there aren't other herds, just the highest concentration is there). The critter that I think is a greater threat is an Aoudad. They're known vectors for disease that will wipe out Desert Bighorns . Who's to say they don't disrupt Mule Deer in a like fashion.
Also, Mule Deer, unlike Whitetails generally don't sexually mature until they're 2 years old. That's one of the reasons you'll see a "family unit" of two Does, a small Buck and twin fawns. Its an old Doe with her progeny from last year and this year. Ergo, they don't breed as prolifically as Whitetails
Finally, like the rest of Texas, there has been a very significant drought for the last 15-20 years. I have not seen a recent census, but five years ago the numbers were rallying some......s till not to the numbers in the 70s,80s and early 90s.

And this, which goes back to my comment earlier that often times the numbers we currently see are not natural numbers, but inflated numbers due to supplemental feeding, protein feeding and basically alteration of the environment to saturate it beyond its natural carrying capacity:

Quote:
One other interesting factor that has impacted the deer in the Trans Pecos is the institution of protein supplements. I believe in it BUT not the same way they do in South Texas with Whitetails. Most people use creep feeders like they do in South Texas. Mule Deer tend to over utilize the feeders. And, once they establish one they don't venture far from it (unless its the rut). The other problem is you can rapidly alter the numbers to the point of "overstocking" (i.e. exceeding the carrying capacity of the native range.) I've believed for years that if people would do a little research and use management practices based on the exact species that they are working with (vs. just "deer" in general) the outcomes would be much improved !

Longfellow(800+ hd by their count) and surrounding neighbors have a the largest population that I know of out west. They stocked Elk in 1991 and the drought started not to long after that and continues today. The Escalara is north of them has a large herd of Elk and we are just north of them. We have a major drainage and the Elk are moving up it to the north. Our MD population was highest 8 yrs ago and has steadily dropped. The last 2 yrs have seen better fawn crops so I am hoping it rebounds. But with Elk, Aoudad and WT numbers increasing it does not look good. The Elk on our lease tend to move in and out from time to time which helps. Just because they are grazers does not mean the do not effect MD. Cattle and other livestock are grazers and they will shift to browse/forbes when the grass is not there. So yes IMO Elk do compete with MD. I have watched Elk cows/calves browse also in the winter months. Our ranch on half is stocked with very good stocking rates with cattle and that is part where the Elk are living.
I will agree on protein supplements and problems the can cause. But, we do not have a feeder on the ranch and I am sure that most if not all of our neighbors don't have them. If they did then the Elk and Aoudads would live there and camp on those feeders. I will also agree with a statement above about animals camping on feeders. That concentrates all those exotics in one location. The habitat will suffer due to them as much or more so than Mule Deer. From what I have seen is that Mule Deer tend to move away from the competition around the feeders with those exotics. I hope the neighbors do start to feed since we have growing numbers of Elk and Aoudads. grin
The habitat has changed in the past from what it was when the Elk was once native. Grazing practices in the past and droughts during that time changed the habitat. Grass eaters eating inside a confined fenced area. Elk and Aoudads just move onto to greener pastures.
Also many of the larger ranches have been sold off and split into smaller ranches. Water was increased on many of them and that has led to a bigger growth area.
Good debate cheers But you convince me that Elk are good for us in an Elk debate with me since I do not care for them at all. They are just another exotic to me and I feel all of them should be rifle

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: schmellba99] #5557898 01/22/15 04:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Yes, actually you do contradict yourself. Nature formed a balance without elk simply because man decided to overhunt the species - it was not nature's choice, but rather deliberate actions by man. Much like with bison and a host of other species we consider trophies that were a dime a dozen 150 years ago.

And as far as the Rocky Mountain elk that were introduced not being native - there is a whole lot of debate on whether Merriam's was even it's own species, or simply a variation of the RM elk. Genetically, there is almost no difference between what we know from Merriam's DNA versus the RM DNA from current elk herds. Essentially, you are really getting into the splitting of hairs here - and peach fuzz hairs at that.

TWPD considers them an exotic, but that is purely legislative. For now. But they also readily concede that elk were once native to Texas.

Keep in mind that our beloved white tail in Texas are also, for the purposes of this discussion, not native to Texas - many hundreds, if not thousands, of white tails were re-introduced to Texas from Kansas after the depression era, when the state's heard was nearly wiped out due to over hunting. TWPD considers them native - largely because their budget depends on it.

Those deliberate actions by man are the same actions that are trying to bring them back into a change habitat. You want my words to contradict so I leave it at that. For me, Elk in Texas from when they were brought into exotic ranches and then released into West Texas will always be an exotic. If TPWD thought differently they would never have taken them out of their rule. TPWD also restocked and stocked a lot of areas of Texas with South Texas whitetails after all those Kansas deer died or where poached grin

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Kevin820] #5557899 01/22/15 04:40 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I luvs me some Elk.........Rather eat one Elk steak, than 20 mule deer steaks....

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Kevin820] #5557989 01/22/15 05:11 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Are the elk of New Mexico native?

B&C does accept that some Elk in Texas would be considered as they acknowledge there are some herds that are there and have been for years. Texas had an elk season for years managed much like they do pronghorn with permits issues to the landowners. Then the Great State of Texas decided the to quit managing the elk herd and declared all elk in Texas as exotics. With that designation B&C will not consider an elk from Texas even if from one of the recognized herds like those in the Glass Mountains and a few other ranges. Or the ones that migrate into the panhandle.

For that question at the top, no they are not native elk but from elk that were stocked from the Yellowstone heard. There may have been a few Merriam elk left there but most accounts they were killed out and are now an extinct species just like the eastern elk. If not for one rancher in California you could have counted the Tule Elk in that list.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Kevin820] #5558023 01/22/15 05:27 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Kmon, I remember those "odd" seasons, but that was "way back when".

IMO, may not be the "specific" animal, but of the same genus, if that is what you would call it. So in that regard, I can see them as "native". Wonder why the state stopped the management thing? rancher politics?

Dennis

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Western] #5558061 01/22/15 05:51 PM
E
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Western

IMO, may not be the "specific" animal, but of the same genus, if that is what you would call it. So in that regard, I can see them as "native". Wonder why the state stopped the management thing? rancher politics?

Politics for sure and our brilliant leaders at the TPWD that have a save the Desert Bighorn at all cost mentality. If a 1/3 of the money and man hours had been spent on the Elk herds in the state parks out west then 50 to 100 Texans would be hunting Elk every year on state land in Texas instead of one person a year hunting the desert bighorn. Baker

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 01/22/15 05:52 PM.

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Elkhunter49] #5558136 01/22/15 06:26 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Politics for sure and our brilliant leaders at the TPWD that have a save the Desert Bighorn at all cost mentality. If a 1/3 of the money and man hours had been spent on the Elk herds in the state parks out west then 50 to 100 Texans would be hunting Elk every year on state land in Texas instead of one person a year hunting the desert bighorn. Baker

I would agree with that and not knowing the reasons. A bunch of cash leaves TX for elk elsewhere.

Dennis

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Western] #5558143 01/22/15 06:30 PM
E
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E

I would agree with that and not knowing the reasons. A bunch of cash leaves TX for elk elsewhere.

I guess if someone would pay 100K to hunt an elk like some have for the sheep then things might be different.. Follow the Money

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 01/22/15 06:30 PM.

Re: Roaming range for Elk?? [Re: Elkhunter49] #5558289 01/22/15 07:50 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

I guess if someone would pay 100K to hunt an elk like some have for the sheep then things might be different.. Follow the Money

Excactly what I was thinking.......Damn shame if that is the way it is.

Dennis

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide