Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Erich] #5497305 12/24/14 04:22 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Erich
I don't really think its because folks are having kids....I mean population is growing...that's for sure. but texas population is growing 3 or 4 times as fast because of the folks moving here. not because of that many kids being born.

damn subdivisions pop up all over the place. I dunno who is buying all those houses, but you see a big plenty of them end up in foreclosure. they're not really even nice developments a lot of them. just mass communities where you can tell the builder platted it based on max units and max profit. lots of farms closer to town falling like that. landowners take the money and run.

maybe some day all those crummy subdivisions will get bulldozed and turned back into ranches. that'd be something to see. most of them were worth more as ranches than they'll ever be as subdivions.

the houses sell good while the builder is financing them. but past that....many will never again be worth what they were purchased for. all downhill after that.

All those people thst are buying homes were born at some point

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig] #5497636 12/24/14 06:36 PM
H
Hogslayer5L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I killed a great buck this year on land that I just asked the owner if I could hunt on. No lease. No feeder. No corn. 17 acres. Cost me the price of my bullet. And theres alot more still out there that hopefully will be around for me bext year. If the owners allow.

They could have easily asked me to pay to hunt there. In fact, with the amount of big bucks I have seen, they coukd have asked for a decent amount of money to hunt there.

I have 4 places to hunt whever I want and I dont oay a dime. Get out and meet people and offer something in return.

Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: txtrophy85] #5499457 12/25/14 10:05 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
This discussion is very timely. My FIL and I hunt about 5 minutes outside of Gruene. A very large ranch next to his 200 acres just sold. It's going to be turned into a 1500 home subdivision with a new HWY running from 46 to Hueco springs loop. My old fishing area on the Guadalupe just sold, gonna' build 18, million dollar mansions on 5 acres next to the river. I used to find arrowheads and pottery sherds there. It was a native American campsite. They scraped the dirt and hauled off all the topsoil. Very sad. Such is 'progress', I guess.

This wasn't the phieffer ranch was it?

If the place was for sale, then anyone had a chance to buy it. If the owners didn't want to see it turnd into a subdivision then they could have put it under conservation easement and got about 40% of the value back out of it.

It's sad to see I love that area but new braunfels is blowing up.

If people don't like urban sprawl then they need to stop having kids. Pretty easy concept.
The guy that owns (owned) it has a large construction company in NB. I hate to see it blow up like it has. Nothing you can do about it though. I have 1 child also.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig] #5499765 12/26/14 02:00 AM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Yeah, hunting is getting more expensive, but what isn't getting more expensive. There are still plenty of affordable hunting opportunities out there for the average person, and the quality and quantity of game is better than its been in generations. I agree a lot of development is happening around our urban areas, but there are billions of acres in less populated areas of the state that will never be developed. You may have to drive farther to find a place to hunt, but it isn't like the opportunity to hunt is going to go away. In Texas, at least, I don't think we will ever lose the ability to hunt.

Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig] #5500106 12/26/14 11:06 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It's true that it's not going to go away! I forgot about those who pay those outrageous prices to shoot bred deer behind high fences when I made my original post, so since there will always be folks who can afford to pay to play, then yes there will always be hunting or a reasonable facsimile.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Jimbo] #5500107 12/26/14 11:13 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
It's true that it's not going to go away! I forgot about those who pay those outrageous prices to shoot bred deer behind high fences when I made my original post, so since there will always be folks who can afford to pay to play, then yes there will always be hunting or a reasonable facsimile.

Hf breeding operations make up about 1% of all hunt able acreage in Texas

I forgot what the last count was but something like 15% of all rural acreage in Texas is hf

Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig] #5500296 12/26/14 03:12 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I'd HF our place if I could. probably will some day. I don't see any problem with it. I don't believe in shooting deer in small enclosures or something like that. but as far as I'm concerned all a HF does is keep people honest. shows that I'm more interested in whats on my side of the fence than yours. and as long as you're not abusing whats on your side of the fence...then it shouldn't matter to you either.

if a person stops seeing deer because I fence my place...then there was probably no deer on their place to begin with.

our place is LF rightnow. we feed and manage quite a bit. keep our hunting pressure reasonable. the deer are not afraid of people. we will frequently shoot a deer and the others will not all leave.

the hogs on the other hand get shot at every opportunity. they are terrified. have to be careful not to spook them. the deer don't care.

Outdoorsman
Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig] #5500299 12/26/14 03:13 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I don't really believe in breeding deer though. or stocking them really even. just put up your fence and work with what you catch.

the deer will breed each other on their own if you just give them a chance.

Outdoorsman
Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Erich] #5500600 12/26/14 06:31 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I don't really believe in breeding deer though. or stocking them really even. just put up your fence and work with what you catch.

Good idea in theory but I't doesn't always work that way

We hf 211 acres earlier this year and all we caught were 2 does. Two does aren't gonna bred each other.

If your dealing with hfing smaller acreage it makes sense to either TTT some deer off another ranch or stock them with good Texas genetics because you probably aren't gonna catch many deer. This way it ensures you have good quality genetics and jump starts the deer herd

Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Koenig] #5500636 12/26/14 06:53 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
yeah, I suppose there's an exception to everything, I just mean in general.

Outdoorsman
Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Erich] #5500674 12/26/14 07:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Would you have a problem with TPWD stocking WT deer in areas that did not have them?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Deer hunting coming to an end. [Re: Erich] #5500678 12/26/14 07:15 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
yeah, I suppose there's an exception to everything, I just mean in general.

Depends entirely on the ranch

If y'all hf'd your 300 acres and only caught 6 deer, you gonna roll with the 6?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide