Originally Posted By: Marcstar
I think guys that hunt with any frequency on public know that this is just part of it. You can do everything right and still have an idiot come in a few minutes before LST and totally screw up your hunt. The only other thing you can do is kind of just give in and ask those guys if they would like to join you while at the same time they may be able to read between the lines that they pretty much set up on top of you and it will screw up both your hunts. Sometimes people are just oblivious to how close they really are to other people....sometimes when you set up in the dark things seem like they are farther away than they really are. Who knows...but getting pissed off won't really help...coming up with plans for the future will. Good luck and sorry that happened.

^^^This has worked SO MANY TIMES for me. There's a lot to benefit from too, as in, they might have a dog (which I hope is at least halfway decent) and you almost always get a bigger decoy spread out of the deal. Plus, if their calling is on par with a 5 year old with a broken kazoo- you can politely offer to do the calling for the group.

I've had mixed experiences with doing this, some groups are really annoying idiots and I've also met up with a few pretty talented duck hunters over the years. It's just part of the game now. Sometimes you have good hunts, sometimes you don't. The places that I go, you have a very difficult time finding any areas that aren't crowded so I've given up on the "honey hole" dreams and I have just started to adapt to the way things are now and focus on accomplishing what I set out to do. I never go out to a public lake with any sort of preconceived notion that I will have a good hunt, much less any solitude. It makes those times when everything comes together that much sweeter.

These days, the only thing that grinds my gears about hunting public land is the abundant littering. I will straight up lose my shart on people who leave their hulls and garbage laying around their blinds and parking lots. It takes me twice as long to pack up because I'm always grabbing dozens of red hulls and silver boxes off the ground that people have just left there. If the COE closed off areas to hunting, the same people would be screaming "It's our land, the public has a right to hunt it" while they have no qualms with treating it like a giant trash heap. Sorry, went into a rant there.

soap

Last edited by _Scooter_; 12/23/14 06:34 AM.

Wasn't born in Texas, but I got there as fast as I could.