Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS] #5471630 12/11/14 08:55 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: JTS
Thanks guys

tlk, I just ran the numbers from your post and was surprised by what I came up with. I would like you get your thoughts on these numbers and see if it correlated with what you had planned.

The ranch I bought last year is 1,300 acres. I am only wanting to high fence about 650 of it. Right now we figure the carrying capacity at 1 cow/calf pair per 20-30 acres depending on the mother nature. I looked up the deer equivalent of a cow and found it to be 6.67 deer per cow. That would put the deer carrying capacity at 132-198 deer at max capacity.

If you start with 3 bucks and 3 does with the does having 1.5 fawns per year (half being does) and everything went perfect you would have 6 deer year 1. Year 2 you would have about 11 deer total half bucks half does. Year 3 18 deer, year 4 32 deer, year 5 56 deer, year 6 98 deer, year 7 172 each year half bucks/half does.

My thinking is that it would be ideal if we took 10 bucks per year off the place. In order to keep the buck doe ratio right you would also need to shoot 10 does per year. It looks like between year 4 and year 5 you add 24 deer to the ranch so that is where you need to start taking deer at a pace of about 10 bucks and 10 does each year to keep the herd at around 32. If you let it get any larger you will have to take much more deer off the place to keep thing from getting out of control.

I don't think I would want to wait until between year 5 and 6 because you would have to take 20 bucks and 20 does in order to keep things right. I don't know if I have enough people I would invite to hunt for free.

Your going to have to shoot more does than bucks to keep your ratio in check. Bucks find all kinds of ways to kill each other and die young of various causes.

As for the original question...Up front I'll tell you that I am not an advocate for high fences in general. I would do everything I could to avoid putting up a fence. 1,300 acres is enough land to manage some nice free range deer. If I had to put up a fence, I would prefer to manage the native herd.

Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS] #5471651 12/11/14 09:07 PM
D
denton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
200 deer on 650 acres sounds crowded. But I don't know, never managed a zoo.

Re: High Fence question. [Re: tShawnB] #5471671 12/11/14 09:15 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: tShawnB
No comment, this thread isn't about hunting.

Why would you even bother posting then?

Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS] #5471679 12/11/14 09:20 PM
R
Ricochet83 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I really like this post and am following it closely as our landowner for our lease which is 416 acres is planning on high fencing the property over the next year. When i say over the next year they are planning on doing 1 boundary at a time. We have some good native deer on the property but also have some not so good native deer. Once the high fence is complete they are planning on purchasing and introducing some genetics onto the property. She is a wildlife biologist and asked me how we wanted to handle the current native deer on the property and i suggested keeping the good and ridding the bad. I only said this cause if we shoot everything off i wont have anything to hunt for a few years. I know selfish me but is that the wrong stance on a situation like this.

Sorry to ask a question on the op's thread BTW just felt it was along the same lines.

Re: High Fence question. [Re: denton] #5471686 12/11/14 09:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: denton

I don't know I counted 72 deer on a 17 Acre oat feild two weeks ago. The ranch and oat feild where low fence

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: High Fence question. [Re: Ricochet83] #5471712 12/11/14 09:34 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Ricochet83
I really like this post and am following it closely as our landowner for our lease which is 416 acres is planning on high fencing the property over the next year.

Unless you are related to the landowner you might want to start looking for a lease.....

[Linked Image]
Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS] #5471730 12/11/14 09:46 PM
R
Ricochet83 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
we are on a 5 year contract that goes into effect in August of 2015. Paperwork was signed about three weeks ago instead of waiting until our first year out option came in August we were happy with the place. And she told me this a few days after the 5 year was signed

Re: High Fence question. [Re: Ricochet83] #5471759 12/11/14 10:04 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
A HF in certain situations if fine. As far as when I did it I was surrounded by multiple small neighbors who shot every deer they saw. That is fine - to each his own. However having the desire to enjoy growing some big deer on my own property that was not for commercial purposes was what I chose to do and I had a blast doing it. We also had blackbuck, oryx, etc.

I currently lease a 9000 acre LF property where we grow some big deer. So I have had the opportunity to do both and I enjoyed them both.

To me it is no different from someone choosing leave their back yard open to the neighbors versus fencing off your back yard for privacy. Neither is wrong or right - it is freedom to chose. Don't we live in a great country!

You can't fix stupid
Re: High Fence question. [Re: tlk] #5471789 12/11/14 10:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: tlk
A HF in certain situations if fine. As far as when I did it I was surrounded by multiple small neighbors who shot every deer they saw. That is fine - to each his own. However having the desire to enjoy growing some big deer on my own property that was not for commercial purposes was what I chose to do and I had a blast doing it. We also had blackbuck, oryx, etc.

I currently lease a 9000 acre LF property where we grow some big deer. So I have had the opportunity to do both and I enjoyed them both.

To me it is no different from someone choosing leave their back yard open to the neighbors versus fencing off your back yard for privacy. Neither is wrong or right - it is freedom to chose. Don't we live in a great country!

Great way to put it

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: High Fence question. [Re: denton] #5471819 12/11/14 10:41 PM
J
JTS Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J

That was the max based on cow units. I have a cow/calf operation now but don't know much about raising deer.

The more I looked at the numbers it looks like 30-40 deer would be a good number to shoot for if the buck/doe ratio was around 1:1

I know very little about this and am putting my ideas out there for people to talk about and help correct my assumptions.

Re: High Fence question. [Re: tlk] #5471825 12/11/14 10:47 PM
J
JTS Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J

I think you right on the money - I would cull as I go. Also, killing all the native deer off on 500-600 acres is not as easy as one would think. The does get really skittish and the deer will go nocturnal in some cases.
I also assume you plan a feeding program with protein stations, cottonseed, etc. I had two food plots on my place that helped plus I fed bales of alfalfa.

I have a 50 acre cultivated wheat field in that 650 that I would plant specifically for the deer and have already set up free choice protein feeders.

Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS] #5471844 12/11/14 10:59 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

I think you right on the money - I would cull as I go. Also, killing all the native deer off on 500-600 acres is not as easy as one would think. The does get really skittish and the deer will go nocturnal in some cases.
I also assume you plan a feeding program with protein stations, cottonseed, etc. I had two food plots on my place that helped plus I fed bales of alfalfa.

I have a 50 acre cultivated wheat field in that 650 that I would plant specifically for the deer and have already set up free choice protein feeders.

That is great - I will take food plots over supplemental feed every time. Deer will eat protein out of a feeder for 5-10 minutes on average. They will graze in a food plot for an hour or more so food plots are the best IMO. My current south texas lease has no food plots due to lack of rainfall. Sounds like you have a nice set up

You can't fix stupid
Re: High Fence question. [Re: JTS] #5471847 12/11/14 11:02 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

That was the max based on cow units. I have a cow/calf operation now but don't know much about raising deer.

The more I looked at the numbers it looks like 30-40 deer would be a good number to shoot for if the buck/doe ratio was around 1:1

I know very little about this and am putting my ideas out there for people to talk about and help correct my assumptions.

I will say that some think 1:1 is not the best ratio - 1 to 1.5 to 2.0 is what some ranches strive for. This can help keep the competition for does down somewhat and decrease the buck injuries and horns breaking up so bad.

You can't fix stupid
Re: High Fence question. [Re: txshntr] #5472396 12/12/14 04:22 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: Falcon09
Originally Posted By: txshntr
You can fence them in, you are just restricted by the laws of the state, same as a LF place. From what I have seen and read, there is nothing illegal about fencing in deer. What if all your neighbors fenced off their property, you supposed to kill off or run off the states deer? There are plenty of HF places that simply manage the native herd.

High fencing your property and being fenced in are two seperate incidents. I wasn't 100 percent sure but the post on here got his info straight from a Game Warden.
I'm not a high fence owner, just the next door neighbor. trout

Same principal and from the laws I have read, they do not distinguish the difference. I have been on a lot of HF operations, but have only been involved with one from the beginning. Only time I have heard of a HF operation clearing out the native population is for management purposes, never because they are the states deer and you can't trap them.

I will look to see if I can find the codes that address this, but surprised some of the HF owners on this forum haven't chimed in.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide