J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: A.B.
Doc,

Alcohol was not involved and his oldest son is a member of the forum.

Sad deal A.B.

I fear the Lightning, hate it I got caught in Ozona this weekend in it..

I was in it too and was not a fan...got down and rode it out in the truck.

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Txslobberknocker] #5442135 11/25/14 01:53 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
That's twice now Jasb...First one was in Roosevelt and on a Exotic hunt and thank GOD the guide came and got me as it was coming straight down and sounded like I was taking fire...and I had NO ride bang
The other was on that lease in Ozona I got no signal to check Radar and it came off my left flank with no warning and was on me hard and fast and AGAIN a buddy dropped me off on his way out so stuck..not fun
sorry back so they can argue

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: SniperRAB] #5442147 11/25/14 02:00 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
That's twice now Jasb...First one was in Roosevelt and on a Exotic hunt and thank GOD the guide came and got me as it was coming straight down and sounded like I was taking fire...and I had NO ride bang
The other was on that lease in Ozona I got no signal to check Radar and it came off my left flank with no warning and was on me hard and fast and AGAIN a buddy dropped me off on his way out so stuck..not fun
sorry back so they can argue

If I had had a few more beers in my bag it wouldnt of been so bad stir

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: TFF Caribou] #5442233 11/25/14 02:39 PM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I'm of the type that is pretty staunch about "guns and alcohol don't mix" I won't have a single drink while hunting or shooting. I also don't think it's responsible to attempt to shoot an animal bow or gun while intoxicated or drinking. It will do nothing but make it harder to make a good clean shot. Save the alcohol for camp.

Interestingly, I don't drink while on the deer stand (I ground hunt only), but am not opposed to hunting with those that do. For years, I would drink a beer or a snort of whiskey while passing the time, as it helped me control my urge to kill every squirrel or blue jay that pestered me. Never any worrys from anyone I have ever hunted with, well except from some uneducated city fellar that were sober (but that is another story.)

However, a dozen years ago, a young man that I knew, was sitting up in a tree stand (20 feet off the ground). I was visiting his grandfather when the call came in "go to the hospital its bad" from his hysterical mother. The young man cratered his skull and broke his neck while leaning down to get another beer from his mini ice chest. Seeing the sadness on the faces of his family (grandparents, parents, wife, young children) left a lasting impression with me...Since that date, I have not crawled up in a tree stand nor consumed any alcohol while on stand.

For me, it is a personal choice, not to drink and hunt...But I also don't rant about it either...Frankly, I won't hunt with folks that worry me when they pick up a weapon, regardless of whether they have had a drink or not. There are plenty of folks that I will not share a camp with if a weapon is within 2 miles, even if they are stone cold sober. Just saying, pick the right hunting partners and you don't have to worry about what their personal preferences on drinking/hunting are or aren't.

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: LuckyHunter] #5442260 11/25/14 02:54 PM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Originally Posted By: DSST_Construction
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Grown [censored] man that can't handle his alcohol shouldn't be drinking anywhere. Grown [censored] man that has some self control should be able to have a beer wherever he dang well pleases.

Just my 2cents

Couldn't agree more.

Grown a$$ man drinking beer with one hand and a gun in the other has no self control. Just my 2cents

Yea, you see this mentality BEING played out in DISNEY movies ALL the time....of course, the ANIMALS CAN talk and are considered the only "PEOPLE with a brain"....LOL

Some people just need to get a grip on reality...alcohol and hunting can and do mix, very frequently in fact...Sounds like a bunch of MADD execs and bible thumpers trying to make a stand...instead of logic and reality...incidentally, animals typically don't speak english and NEVER act as portrayed in Disney movies...Sorry fellas, hate to break your hearts.... violin

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Txslobberknocker] #5442359 11/25/14 03:52 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Fact of the matter is that all of you guys claiming its no big deal, etc,, would be at the front of the line holding the noose and screaming left and right if Two-Snort Bob had a firearm accident in camp and shot your wife/child/dog etc.

But keep thinking your cool and it will never happen to you...

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5442363 11/25/14 03:53 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Fact of the matter is that all of you guys claiming its no big deal, etc,, would be at the front of the line holding the noose and screaming left and right if Two-Snort Bob had a firearm accident in camp and shot your wife/child/dog etc.

Exactly

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Navasot] #5442370 11/25/14 03:56 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Exactly

now that's funny

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Grosvenor] #5442377 11/25/14 03:59 PM
S
Satch Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Exactly

now that's funny
clap

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5442447 11/25/14 04:36 PM
D
Dustnsand Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Are you against people going to a restaurant to eat and having a beer or margarita?

You'd better be if you're against drinking in the stand.

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Dustnsand] #5442496 11/25/14 05:00 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: z71dustin

Are you against people going to a restaurant to eat and having a beer or margarita?

To me, that's different. I get there are many, many who keep it at at drink or two and leave it at that. But there are also many for whom that "drink or two" with dinner turns into 6 or 8 drinks once they start drinking. And then they crawl in their car and drive home.

Same way with drinking and carrying a weapon. In my experience, the guy who just has to have his beer with him while hunting more often than not is the same guy for whom those two beers turns into 6 or 8. And pretty soon you've got an impaired guy who thinks he's 10 feet tall and bulletproof. In short, a guy who just has to have a drink available at all times and cannot just wait until the rifles are put away is a big red flag to me. I used put up with that crap because I was young and dumb. Not anymore.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5442509 11/25/14 05:08 PM
D
Dustnsand Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: z71dustin

To me, that's different. I get there are many, many who keep it at at drink or two and leave it at that. But there are also many for whom that "drink or two" with dinner turns into 6 or 8 drinks once they start drinking. And then they crawl in their car and drive home.

Same way with drinking and carrying a weapon. In my experience, the guy who just has to have his beer with him while hunting more often than not is the same guy for whom those two beers turns into 6 or 8. And pretty soon you've got an impaired guy who thinks he's 10 feet tall and bulletproof. In short, a guy who just has to have a drink available at all times and cannot just wait until the rifles are put away is a big red flag to me. I used put up with that crap because I was young and dumb. Not anymore.

That's what we've all been trying to say.

There's nothing wrong with a guy who can handle his alcohol having a few beers. There's a huge difference in drinking a few and getting hammered. If you can go to eat and have a few and get behind the wheel of a truck then a gun isn't any different.

Some people can't handle it and should not do it. Most however can. It's a person to person case. Saying that nobody should drink in the stand because they will have an accident is painting with a really broad brush. If you are against anyone drinking in the stand then you have to be against anyone drinking at a bar or restaurant.

And yes, to some people a few equals getting hammered and that's not what I'm talking about. You have to be responsible enough to know yourself and how alcohol affects you. I agree that drinking to the point of impairment whether hunting or driving is a really bad idea.

Last edited by z71dustin; 11/25/14 05:11 PM.
Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Txslobberknocker] #5442516 11/25/14 05:17 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I hear you. But I will say that in hunting in many different camps over 40+ years, the guys who just had to have their beer/gin and tonic/whisky with them in the stand and/or truck with them at all times have almost always been the same guys who couldn't stop at just one or two and ended up being impaired at some point during the day and s*%# faced by the time 9 or 10 PM rolled around.

I honestly cannot recall hunting with the guy who had "one or two" on stand and just left it at that. IMO that guy is a largely mythical creature.....

I guess I am disagreeing that "most" who just have to have their drinks at all times can keep it to one or two. That's not been my experience....

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 11/25/14 05:20 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Txslobberknocker] #5442548 11/25/14 05:34 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
So let me get this right
Drinking in the stand with a loaded gun = "shouldn't do it no way it's wrong"
Drinking at dinner with or without kids and getting in you deadly weapon and driving home = Thats ok
I dont get the ones who have double standards at all .
I can have it or leave it but if i do have a few in the stand mostly i am just taking pic's yes i have a gun but very seldom take it back with me i leave it in the stand .

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Txslobberknocker] #5442568 11/25/14 05:43 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Am I the only one who doesn't drink anything in the stand? I have no problem not drinking when sitting still for three hours.

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: postoak] #5442570 11/25/14 05:45 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: postoak
Am I the only one who doesn't drink anything in the stand? I have no problem not drinking when sitting still for three hours.

Most of the time I don't even have water with me. I only take a beer occasionally to be "cool" appearantly grin

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5442723 11/25/14 07:25 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I hear you. But I will say that in hunting in many different camps over 40+ years, the guys who just had to have their beer/gin and tonic/whisky with them in the stand and/or truck with them at all times have almost always been the same guys who couldn't stop at just one or two and ended up being impaired at some point during the day and s*%# faced by the time 9 or 10 PM rolled around.

I honestly cannot recall hunting with the guy who had "one or two" on stand and just left it at that. IMO that guy is a largely mythical creature.....

I guess I am disagreeing that "most" who just have to have their drinks at all times can keep it to one or two. That's not been my experience....

Sounds like you spent 40 years hunting with a bunch of idiots and now you're projecting that on a group of anonymous hunters on the internet.

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Grosvenor] #5442769 11/25/14 07:42 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Sounds like you spent 40 years hunting with a bunch of idiots and now you're projecting that on a group of anonymous hunters on the internet.

rofl

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Grosvenor] #5442787 11/25/14 07:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Nope. If you want to get down to brass tacks, what I am saying is that the guys who always have to have a beer or drink in their hand or have to show everyone they are a big man because they can accomplish the great feat of buying a 12 pack (complete with photos of their beer in the foreground), by and large, turn into idiots at some point. Anyone who has lived long enough and is not in denial knows that.

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Txslobberknocker] #5442805 11/25/14 07:58 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
And I did run into a few of them for sure. But, thankfully, not too many. I have my own place now. So I don't have to play the "lease roulette" game anymore.

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Txslobberknocker] #5442813 11/25/14 08:01 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
If beer and whiskey are bad in the stand how about a fine wine?

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Txslobberknocker] #5442822 11/25/14 08:05 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
I'll be drinking in the stand this weekend. And it wont be just a few either. But I'm just watching, Dad will be doing the shooting. Am I a bad person? I feel dirty.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5442829 11/25/14 08:09 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
I'll be drinking in the stand this weekend. And it wont be just a few either. But I'm just watching, Dad will be doing the shooting. Am I a bad person? I feel dirty.

Only if your drinkin coors or keystone

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: Txslobberknocker] #5442833 11/25/14 08:10 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I get where you guys are coming from.

Re: Drinking in the stand? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5442838 11/25/14 08:12 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

I too will be drinking in the stand this weekend, I will be kidless and will take a few cold ones with me. I hope I can remember where the safety is. I am so irresponsible. I feel dirty too. roflmao

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide