Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5404581 11/07/14 01:31 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Lead is legal as long as the area you're hunting doesn't say otherwise.

And yes, everybody I know that doesn't hunt thinks I'm pulling their leg about snipe hunting. So then I have to pull up a few hunting pics on my phone. About half still don't believe me.

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: Dave Speer] #5404628 11/07/14 01:58 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
Originally Posted By: Gdogg
Dave has been known to teal rail and snipe hunt simultaneously.

Know your seasons, Gary! Snipe isn't open during teal laugh Rails, on the other hand, hey if the teal are slow and Griz & Little Griz are getting on your nerves, pop some rails! laugh

Yeah your right. That's why I don't rail or snipe hunt, how you distinguish them from all the other birds is a challenge in itself.

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5404638 11/07/14 02:02 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Its very easy to hunt snipe since you will always hear em before you see em.

Hunt them without airplugs and into the wind.

You need a dog as they blend in really well.

They taste great! They really do.
Slow cook in crockpot with carrots, onions and red wine
A delicacy overseas. Now even a rarety as hunting is forbidden in holland and belgium.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 11/07/14 02:05 PM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5404654 11/07/14 02:13 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Haven't seen many this morning. Whipple about caught one about 5:30.

[Linked Image]

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: beaversnipe] #5404685 11/07/14 02:29 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Its very easy to hunt snipe since you will always hear em before you see em.

Hunt them without airplugs and into the wind.

You need a dog as they blend in really well.

A delicacy overseas. Now even a rarety as hunting is forbidden in holland and belgium.

I thought you used a burlap bag and hunted them at night. confused2

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5404707 11/07/14 02:34 PM
FLParish Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I have to admit, I'm one that always thought that snipe were a made up bird and a big hazing event as a child. smile

I'll keep my eyes, and ears, open for them now!

2 Chronicles 7:14 -
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: Sniper John] #5405047 11/07/14 04:53 PM
A
aerangis Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Originally Posted By: aerangis
But once you see one flying you'll know the difference, similar to the difference between big ducks and teal.

x2

I was lucky enough to be introduced to them by "Sniper" John laugh Once you've been on a hunt with someone and positively ID'd them a time or two, they are pretty easy to pick out.

Dave's Snipe #1, 2008 season yingyang

Is that dead smartweed in the background?...hmmm.....

If that pic is where I think it is, I hunt the same spot. I flushed a good 30+ snipe out there yesterday.

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: Dave Speer] #5405120 11/07/14 05:26 PM
A
aerangis Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
A

Know your seasons, Gary! Snipe isn't open during teal laugh Rails, on the other hand, hey if the teal are slow and Griz & Little Griz are getting on your nerves, pop some rails! laugh

Nov 1st is the start of waterfowl and snipe. You can hunt teal and snipe simultaneously, I've been hunting both since last Sat.

Got checked by the GW yesterday. When I laid the birds out, he didn't know what a snipe was. Thought it was a shorebird of some type.

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5405126 11/07/14 05:28 PM
A
Arbor Guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Great looking Vizslas in those pics! I have one and I love those dogs. Never thought about snipe hunting with my guy though. Where do you guys go to hunt snipe?(areas of state not spot) I only used to see them in rice fields etc. don't see to many in N Tex

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: beaversnipe] #5405140 11/07/14 05:32 PM
A
aerangis Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
A
Its very easy to hunt snipe since you will always hear em before you see em. youve obviously never hunted snipe

Hunt them without airplugs and into the wind. . - another Internet expert repeating Internet gibberish

You need a dog as they blend in really well. - I've successfully hunted snipe for years without dogs

I've never understood what makes some folks want to give advice about a subject they obviously know nothing about.

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5405179 11/07/14 05:49 PM
A
Arbor Guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A

Nov 1st is the start of waterfowl and snipe. You can hunt teal and snipe simultaneously, I've been hunting both since last Sat.

Got checked by the GW yesterday. When I laid the birds out, he didn't know what a snipe was. Thought it was a shorebird of some type.

Did you use lead for the snipe? Did the GW give you any grief if you were?

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5405211 11/07/14 06:04 PM
B
bhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Wheres the paper bag and flashlights????

ROY

B.O.H.I.C.A.

"BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!!!"

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY"

http://www.parkerpwr.com/
Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5405283 11/07/14 06:35 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Its very easy to hunt snipe since you will always hear em before you see em. youve obviously never hunted snipe

Hunt them without airplugs and into the wind. . - another Internet expert repeating Internet gibberish

You need a dog as they blend in really well. - I've successfully hunted snipe for years without dogs

I've never understood what makes some folks want to give advice about a subject they obviously know nothing about.

You are correct, been hunting snipe for 20 years with my dad overseas and shot thousands (most of them overseas and there was no limits back then). I must have done something wrong. In holland it was very easy to walk the polders for 3 hours and come back with 30-40 snipe each. When you shoot doubles it was very hard to find the birds without a dog. In the afternoon we were hiding in a ditch to pass shoot the returning birds. These were the days. After that the population went down and the dutch government shut down all snipehunting for years. Not sure if they reinstated it, will ask dutchman.
Of course it helped to have hunted on one of the biggest snipe concentration in the world (dinteloord Netherlands)
We leased the property from the government (3000 acres flooded marsh that would fill up and recede with the tie) for 1 euro per year in condition we would maintain and protect the lication as a wetland. It was loaded with mallards, geese, heirs and snipe by the thousands. It was unreal. My family hunted there from 1902 till 2003.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 11/07/14 06:43 PM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: Arbor Guy] #5405577 11/07/14 08:45 PM
A
aerangis Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Arbor Guy

Did you use lead for the snipe? Did the GW give you any grief if you were?

#4 steel works though it will make a mess of a bird at close range.

The GW didn't ask about lead, but if he had, I had the right answer. No lead in possession while hunting waterfowl.

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: beaversnipe] #5405752 11/07/14 10:31 PM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F

You are correct, been hunting snipe for 20 years with my dad overseas and shot thousands (most of them overseas and there was no limits back then). I must have done something wrong. In holland it was very easy to walk the polders for 3 hours and come back with 30-40 snipe each. When you shoot doubles it was very hard to find the birds without a dog. In the afternoon we were hiding in a ditch to pass shoot the returning birds. These were the days. After that the population went down and the dutch government shut down all snipehunting for years. Not sure if they reinstated it, will ask dutchman.
Of course it helped to have hunted on one of the biggest snipe concentration in the world (dinteloord Netherlands)
We leased the property from the government (3000 acres flooded marsh that would fill up and recede with the tie) for 1 euro per year in condition we would maintain and protect the lication as a wetland. It was loaded with mallards, geese, heirs and snipe by the thousands. It was unreal. My family hunted there from 1902 till 2003.

BURN!!!

Snipe hunting was something entirely different to me growing up too. Usually involved a burlap sack, a flashlight & a good-lookin lady smile

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5406713 11/08/14 04:03 PM
D
David Crockett Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I thought "Snipe Hunting" was a joke that you play on people. Snipe really exist?

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: David Crockett] #5407223 11/08/14 10:47 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: David Crockett
I thought "Snipe Hunting" was a joke that you play on people. Snipe really exist?

Nah. This entire thread is a huge joke.

peep

[Linked Image]

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5432506 11/20/14 03:56 AM
J
Jobst Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
So I started looking for snipe last season but never found any. This morning I finally found a good amount in a marsh. I was able to shoot 2 since I was duck hunting and shooting #2 and #3. Pretty fun and stoked I finally found and figured out what they are how they fly and etc. Looking forward to hunting them all up in that marsh.

A few questions:
What is the bag limit in TX? I am still looking trying to find it. (havent gotten the book out yet)
Steel or lead? Especially if you are in a marsh near water? I am assuming that if you shoot them over water you need to use steel but what if you are walking in the marsh.
What size shot? #6?
What is the best method for hunting them? Sitting at a tree, walking, etc.
Last but not least what are your favorite recipes for them. I plucked them like little cornish hens.
Thanks.

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5432591 11/20/14 04:52 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
U can shoot 8 per day.
U can shoot lead, but if you are duckhunting at the same time, use steel.
Nr 7.5 ideal. To be safe u can find 7.5 steel at wallmart
Best is to jump them walking a ricefield or marsh into the wind.
When u have one down, mark the bird. They are hard to find.
If u miss a bird, they usually going down 200 yards further and u will have a second chance just like quail.
Snipe are always making a raspy noise when u jump them. Usually u wil hear them before u see them.
They are excellent to eat. Just put them in a casserole on the stove (preferabley ceramic) and slow roast them for 0.5 hour on very low heat with the lid on (otherwise they ll dry out) with wine, celery, carrots and butter. Serve them with strips of toast you made in butter in a pan. This is a recepy that was used for centuries in England. Pluck them like cornish hens. After plucking, burn them over newspaper for 30 seconds or so to torch all the light feathers u cannot even see. Leave the skin and head on. It is a delicacy by the way to crack their head open and suck their brains out. No joke! I ll pass. My dad usually plucked them and left them wrapped in newspapers in the fridge for 3 days before cooking. Do not put salt on it during the cooking, just add salt when they are done. As a matter, u should not put any salt on any meat while cooking. It shrinks the meat and makes it tough.

I always carry a box of 7.5 steel in my bag while duckhunting. If i have to go around the large pond to finish a cripple duck on the water i use 7.5. And i usually find some snipe on my way back to the blind.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 11/20/14 05:26 AM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5432592 11/20/14 04:53 AM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
8 snipe a day.

You can use lead, if you're not going to shoot ducks or geese.

I've shot at them with 4's before while duck hunting but I'd prefer something in the 6-8 range for the pattern density.

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5432610 11/20/14 05:16 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
here is a smart, fast way to cook them

From the sipe forum:

http://thesnipehuntersforum.yuku.com/topic/5376/Snipe-cookery#.VG15dIhOKrU

Last edited by beaversnipe; 11/20/14 05:20 AM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5432623 11/20/14 05:30 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Things to consider and check on.

Some public areas require non toxic shot for all game now. 7 steel works really well.

Some public areas do not list snipe as legal game. For example some lakes it is legal to hunt waterfowl only. Snipe are not waterfowl. APH units and WMAs that do not list "migratory birds" or "snipe" on their game list do not allow snipe hunting.

Some of the areas snipe are now listed as game is because I asked the area game managers to add them. Some I had to ask every year until they gave in. Some of those same areas i am now having to go back to ask them to add Rail now. Some game managers don't know they are legal to hunt believe it or not. So if there is a public area you hunt that has them and they are not listed; fire off emails and letters asking to the area's controlling authorities to add them.

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: Jobst] #5432862 11/20/14 01:52 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Jobst
What is the best method for hunting them? Sitting at a tree, walking, etc.
Last but not least what are your favorite recipes for them. I plucked them like little cornish hens.
Thanks.

Like beav said they'll usually fly just a little ways out. But if you are on a spot they really want to be, hang out a couple of minutes after they flush before moving on. Some will trickle back in and give you a passing dove-like shot. I went duck scouting yesterday and found a bunch of them. Had some #3 steel and got 4 all at pretty long range which I was surprised about. The lucky pellet I guess. Due to time constraints I couldn't finish up.

If you like dove with a jalapeno and bacon on the grill, snipe are just as good if not better the same way.

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: aerangis] #5432878 11/20/14 02:02 PM
M
michael89 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
hello...my name is Michael....

Re: Snipe, the other gamebird [Re: michael89] #5432940 11/20/14 02:27 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: michael89