Forums46
Topics538,077
Posts9,732,729
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: SingleShot85] #5302844 09/12/14 04:31 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
[quote=txtrophy85

not to mention if we stopped all supp. feeding game populations across a large portion of the state would crash due to their dependence on it

Yeah.. that is probably the least intelligent thing I heard in quite a while....... White-tailed deer are that fragile

you have created inflated game populations due to the supplemental feeding on certain properties. if you have a ranch that is feeding 60-80 tons of protein and you take that away, deer are going to die off.

I have been on too many properties to count that have a deer population that is being artificially sustained by feeding.

so what was it I said that was unintelligent?

the fact I have to point it out is reason enough, but since you asked.. specifically "large portions and crash" are exaggerated and inflammatory

and "I" have created neither over population nor dependency [/quote]

I don't see how what I said was exaggerated or inflammatory

I never said your animals are over populated or dependent.

But that's not the case on every ranch

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302856 09/12/14 04:37 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
One of the best tracts that I hunt in East Texas is one that costs me zero because of the relationship that I have with the landowner. At one time I kept a feeder going more for the benefit of family members who sometimes hunted the property as well. A neighboring landowner mentioned the feeder might have been attracting the hogs that were hitting his fields. So out of respect for his thoughts, I removed the feeder and have continued hunting the property for years without one. It was also a decision that led to him allowing me to access his property anytime I wish in order to retrieve game. So needless to say, I have stands near the property line with no issues to worry about. And yet every year, the tract still produces plenty of shooting opportunities.

That's great you have a property where you can hunt how you please.

Now let us excercise the same option

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302860 09/12/14 04:41 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Only "benefit" I see for a hunter in not having a feeder, is cost savings. I would bet though, that the feeder tending entwined with the whole "getting the lease/property" in shape, does a fella good (enjoyment and relaxing wise) and that is hard to put a price on, but I'd bet it would outweigh the savings.

I'll be honest, a bit confused on the objective of the thread and probably missed the whole point? Is this where we have to "pick sides" LOL

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Western] #5302867 09/12/14 04:43 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Western
Only "benefit" I see for a hunter in not having a feeder, is cost savings. I would bet though, that the feeder tending entwined with the whole "getting the lease/property" in shape, does a fella good (enjoyment and relaxing wise) and that is hard to put a price on, but I'd bet it would outweigh the savings.

I'll be honest, a bit confused on the objective of the thread and probably missed the whole point? Is this where we have to "pick sides" LOL

Pick a side...I will take the other one grin

If we didn't have feeders, we would still bicker about hunting too close to the fence, how far hunters can set up apart, cutting deer off, hunt good plots, worry about the neighbors, get pissed at the cows and would probably find a few more things to complain about... But we would save money.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302877 09/12/14 04:49 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I have hunted the Midwest where you have dedicated bedding areas, travel corridors, staging areas, and finally food sources all generally located within a reasonable distance to water. When you have this situation, you don't need feeders to "attract" deer. A little scouting and knowledge of the land; set up with the right wind and your in business. I now hunt large acreage tracts in the Panhandle, and where I hunt, deer, especially bucks, bed in different areas, feed in different areas, travel in different areas, etc.... In essence they are very difficult to pattern. That being said, my two largest bucks, both 6.5 years olds, where never photographed at a feeder to my knowledge, at least not at my feeders; however, I shot both of them within view of a feeder(s) that had lots of does and both of them off the rattle. I don't have an opinion one way or the other, I think feeders are a necessary evil if you hunt where I hunt. Pretty much all Whitetail hunting involves baiting of some sort, be it feeder, Ag field, fruit bearing trees, alfalfa flakes, etc... Finally, feeders may be, at least in Texas, the best scouting tool a whitetail hunter can have along with cameras.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: txtrophy85] #5302898 09/12/14 04:58 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Most people do not feed enough to make a difference one way or the other IMO. If range and habitat conditions are average or above then deer do not use a feeder that much. When times are tough the deer use them more. Supplemental feeding is what it should be, the deer eat when or if they need it. It is a food plot in a bag since most areas of Texas are not good farmland. People that feed corn year round are feeding more than just deer. Majority of the year that corn goes to more than just deer if it has been raining and conditions are average or above. By your definition then planting and hunting over a food plot is the same mentality of the "trophy hunter" hunting over a feeder.
What's next? Are you going to define what someone calls a trophy with a new thread? confused2

a trophy is the one deer that you will harvest using no other means than your grandpa an indian's open sighted Winchester long bow with wooden arrows in a national forest using bullets stone tips you handloaded chiseled yourself

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302901 09/12/14 04:58 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Dan,

How do you feel about using internal combustion engines to access your hunting areas?

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Grosvenor] #5302906 09/12/14 05:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Ego-driven rage??? I don't "need" to hunt or fill my ice chest, but it's a helluva lot of fun chasing after whitetail bucks.

And it can be even more fun when you hunt them instead of letting them hunt you.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5302914 09/12/14 05:06 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

P.S. If you really knew anything about mature east TX bucks, you would know they rarely come to a feeder-especially in the daytime. Most never come to one. In 10 years of hunting my place, exactly one mature buck has been taken under a feeder. I suppose if you met her you would give her a lecture on how she sucks as a hunter:

that's why I love south texas.....mature bucks are the first ones to the feeder

Murderer. Dan would stalk them through the huisache and prickly pear. grin

Barefoot?

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: tShawnB] #5302921 09/12/14 05:09 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I vote both ways. I never used a feeder before I turned 50 years old and killed more than my share of deer. After 50 I found the feeder system to be kinda neat. After 60 hell the adjustable office chairs that swivel and rock and the little blind heaters become a crutch to us real hunters. I'm thinking a few more years and I may add a soft couch with recliner and add a remote spinner system to my feeder. grin

Last edited by KG68; 09/12/14 05:12 PM.
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: tShawnB] #5302927 09/12/14 05:12 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: tShawnB
I have hunted the Midwest where you have dedicated bedding areas, travel corridors, staging areas, and finally food sources all generally located within a reasonable distance to water. When you have this situation, you don't need feeders to "attract" deer. A little scouting and knowledge of the land; set up with the right wind and your in business. I now hunt large acreage tracts in the Panhandle, and where I hunt, deer, especially bucks, bed in different areas, feed in different areas, travel in different areas, etc.... In essence they are very difficult to pattern. That being said, my two largest bucks, both 6.5 years olds, where never photographed at a feeder to my knowledge, at least not at my feeders; however, I shot both of them within view of a feeder(s) that had lots of does and both of them off the rattle. I don't have an opinion one way or the other, I think feeders are a necessary evil if you hunt where I hunt. Pretty much all Whitetail hunting involves baiting of some sort, be it feeder, Ag field, fruit bearing trees, alfalfa flakes, etc... Finally, feeders may be, at least in Texas, the best scouting tool a whitetail hunter can have along with cameras.

up

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302928 09/12/14 05:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Ego-driven rage??? I don't "need" to hunt or fill my ice chest, but it's a helluva lot of fun chasing after whitetail bucks.

And it can be even more fun when you hunt them instead of letting them hunt you.

You are so passively/aggressively obnoxious it almost defies belief.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302950 09/12/14 05:25 PM
Bowhunt66 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I think it's to each their own. There is nothing wrong with hunting a feeder. I probably have a different perspective b/c I've
been going hunting on the same land since about 1970. At first, my hunts were in a sleeping bag behind a stump or brush and my dad would wake
me up to see my older brother shoot at a doe, etc. I was fortunate that there was enough land to still hunt and move around some. My dad never supplied
a feeder or stand or camo or transportation of any type when I was growing up. He hunted with us till about 11-12 then turned us loose...Scared me to death walking to my
hunting spot in the pitch black with my flashlight. We'd drag brush around and make a stand. I loved it...it was my passion.

In my mid 20's, I started getting bored with it...same deer movement patterns...I was doing the same thing over and over again. At this point, I started bow hunting. To me
this meant hunting the same piece of land a very different way. I started scouting for spots or trails in the denser areas or down in the canyons. I never hunted any of these areas
with a rifle b/c there was such limited visibility/range. Of course, I started buying camo and I shot my first doe the mid way through my 2nd season of bow hunting. Eventually started using the 5 gallon canister tree feeders. I screwed up so many hunts...everything has to go right for a bow kill. Anyway, I loved it...a new passion

Next came my own kids which ceased most of my bow hunting for several years. With a wiggly 4 year old, I started rattling a lot during November and early december. My son was really good at making noise. I'd done it
a little before without much success. We'd move and rattle...move and rattle...What a blast! It works! Awesome to have a buck fly into the scene usually to only turn and fly back out...but still awesome. Next, I bought my first black powder 50 caliber (percussion) then the flint lock...I screwed up more hunts with that **** flint lock it's not even funny....It's now decoration on my son's wall. Now my son has the passion...especially for bow hunting.

I hunt feeders sometimes I don't. I love it all. It's all perspective...

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: txshntr] #5302956 09/12/14 05:28 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Pick a side...I will take the other one grin

If we didn't have feeders, we would still bicker about hunting too close to the fence, how far hunters can set up apart, cutting deer off, hunt good plots, worry about the neighbors, get pissed at the cows and would probably find a few more things to complain about... But we would save money.

I would, but don't know if I could see your short azz on the other side rofl We both would be to "little" to see over the argument LOL

All that other "stuff" you mentioned, don't we already have arguments over all that anyhoo ? scared

Dennis

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: tShawnB] #5302988 09/12/14 05:44 PM
D
Duckhawker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: tShawnB

Theodore Roosevelt actually didn't have much respect for the whitetail as a game animal largely because they couldn't be "hunted" in the sense of spot and stalk. He didn't like the fact that to successfully harvest whitetails you usually had to ambush them at a food source, water source, or on a travel corridor. He did not consider this method of hunting to be sporting. He also predicted that because of their wariness, their populations would persist far better than other big game animals such as elk and bison. His argument was that even under strong, but not very unregulated hunting pressure, whitetails could eke out an existence in smaller patches of cover by being nocturnal, whereas elk, bison, and moose were just not wary enough overall to handle sustained, unregulated hunting pressure over decades.

TR was a man of foresight, even if I don't agree with him on some things.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Western] #5302994 09/12/14 05:48 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

They will concentrate the hogs in the right areas. And just like some deer are not equal, all hogs are not equal.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: rifleman] #5302999 09/12/14 05:52 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: rifleman

They will concentrate the hogs in the right areas. And just like some deer are not equal, all hogs are not equal.

OK thanks, so he is more concerned about drawing in hogs as the main caveat to having a feeder... I suppose that makes sense, I haven't had the trouble with them as some of you guys have. Knock on wood....

Dennis

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Bowhunt66] #5303000 09/12/14 05:53 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: Bowhunt66
I think it's to each their own. There is nothing wrong with hunting a feeder. I probably have a different perspective b/c I've
been going hunting on the same land since about 1970. At first, my hunts were in a sleeping bag behind a stump or brush and my dad would wake
me up to see my older brother shoot at a doe, etc. I was fortunate that there was enough land to still hunt and move around some. My dad never supplied
a feeder or stand or camo or transportation of any type when I was growing up. He hunted with us till about 11-12 then turned us loose...Scared me to death walking to my
hunting spot in the pitch black with my flashlight. We'd drag brush around and make a stand. I loved it...it was my passion.

In my mid 20's, I started getting bored with it...same deer movement patterns...I was doing the same thing over and over again. At this point, I started bow hunting. To me
this meant hunting the same piece of land a very different way. I started scouting for spots or trails in the denser areas or down in the canyons. I never hunted any of these areas
with a rifle b/c there was such limited visibility/range. Of course, I started buying camo and I shot my first doe the mid way through my 2nd season of bow hunting. Eventually started using the 5 gallon canister tree feeders. I screwed up so many hunts...everything has to go right for a bow kill. Anyway, I loved it...a new passion

Next came my own kids which ceased most of my bow hunting for several years. With a wiggly 4 year old, I started rattling a lot during November and early december. My son was really good at making noise. I'd done it
a little before without much success. We'd move and rattle...move and rattle...What a blast! It works! Awesome to have a buck fly into the scene usually to only turn and fly back out...but still awesome. Next, I bought my first black powder 50 caliber (percussion) then the flint lock...I screwed up more hunts with that **** flint lock it's not even funny....It's now decoration on my son's wall. Now my son has the passion...especially for bow hunting.

I hunt feeders sometimes I don't. I love it all. It's all perspective...

Great post and welcome to the forum.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5303011 09/12/14 05:57 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I like things that work and feeders are one of them. Just my .02

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Western] #5303040 09/12/14 06:19 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: rifleman

OK thanks, so he is more concerned about drawing in hogs as the main caveat to having a feeder... I suppose that makes sense, I haven't had the trouble with them as some of you guys have. Knock on wood....

I got problems, our entire place is a nesting concentration area. They'll chase acorns when they fall, but it's been a while since deer have actually utilized the feeders on a regular basis. Prior to the infestation when the clearcut was still short it was nothing to have 20 bucks between the 3 feeders daily.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5303062 09/12/14 06:38 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
The point of this thread isn't to create a divide, but to remind hunters that feeders are not a "must have", and that there can be significant benefits in not using them. You may have to step back from the need to kill a trophy with ease, but the benefits are there just the same.

Like food plots, they were something that hunters began using to "assist" their efforts. But as with so many things, they have become something that would cause many to give up and quit if you took them away.

And who knows, we may be just one CWD outbreak from seeing it happen.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5303122 09/12/14 07:11 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Feeders are also used by the guys who only have a few select days per season to hunt. They want success like you and I want, just don't have the days to put into a full season. Their lease may not be big enough to allow them to spot, still hunt or stalk. It may even be written into the lease rules that they have to maintain a blind and feeder to hunt from. In the 80's I used a coffee can to pour corn out on the roads I as drove down to my stand. In the 60's and 70's we used 32 oz. soda water bottle or even the 24 bottle case wood flat as a feeder. Filled them up one afternoon with corn and refilled them when it was empty. That is when we started using corn as bait, back in the 60's. In the 90's I started using a road feeder. Even had one ranch I was on that had no corn feeders, only protein. I ran a road feeder everyday by the stands to hunt. A road feeder offers even more advantages to the hunter than a corn feeder. You can train a deer to any feeding method you can think of if given time to train them.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5303128 09/12/14 07:13 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The point of this thread isn't to create a divide, but to remind hunters that feeders are not a "must have", and that there can be significant benefits in not using them. You may have to step back from the need to kill a trophy with ease but the benefits are there just the same.

Like food plots, they were something that hunters began using to "assist" their efforts. But as with so many things, they have become something that would cause many to give up and quit if you took them away.

And who knows, we may be just one CWD outbreak from seeing it happen.

Dan,

How many trophy deer "have you killed with ease"?

How many mature deer have you killed total?

How do you feel about rattling antlers or doe in heat urine

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: stxranchman] #5303141 09/12/14 07:18 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Feeders are also used by the guys who only have a few select days per season to hunt. They want success like you and I want, just don't have the days to put into a full season. Their lease may not be big enough to allow them to spot, still hunt or stalk. It may even be written into the lease rules that they have to maintain a blind and feeder to hunt from. In the 80's I used a coffee can to pour corn out on the roads I as drove down to my stand. In the 60's and 70's we used 32 oz. soda water bottle or even the 24 bottle case wood flat as a feeder. Filled them up one afternoon with corn and refilled them when it was empty. That is when we started using corn as bait, back in the 60's. In the 90's I started using a road feeder. Even had one ranch I was on that had no corn feeders, only protein. I ran a road feeder everyday by the stands to hunt. A road feeder offers even more advantages to the hunter than a corn feeder. You can train a deer to any feeding method you can think of if given time to train them.

I would appreciate it if you would coffee can corn the roads for me this fall

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: txtrophy85] #5303152 09/12/14 07:21 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

Dan,

How many trophy deer "have you killed with ease"?

How many mature deer have you killed total?

This thread is not about me. But if you must know, my biggest East Texas buck was taken on public land in Davy Crockett NF, Houston County.

Mature is a relative term no doubt. I took a nice 12-point a couple of seasons ago at a feeder on private land in East Texas, but I would not have considered it a mature buck. Without question, all the oldest deer that I have taken have been away from feeders. But then, that's probably more from the fact that I hunt away from feeders most often, or just a matter of the math involved.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide