Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Gamewardens [Re: Dove Weed] #5284431 09/02/14 08:21 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Dove Weed
Originally Posted By: wal1809
A citation does not mean you are guilty of a crime. Grow a set, go hunting and if you get written a ticket you did not deserve, then fight it in court. A game warden is just as human as any of us. They have no selective authority to be judge jury and executioner. It is a jury that can decide the fate of a citation, not a warden. If it is a feather legged ticket, then by God stick it right back on the GW in a court. It is your time, your hour, your chance to tell the world about how the possum cop screwed you over.

I absolutely agree with you but as a practicing attorney once told me...How much do you want to spend to prove that you were right? You might win your day in court but attorney fees add up and the state is not going to reimburse you when/if they are proven to be incorrect.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! Yes, you can challenge the citation but get your wallet out. When it comes to interpretation of the laws it is really simple to call up your very own gamewarden and hear it from their lips. That is a heck of a lot cheaper than going to court.

I've been hunting a long, long, long time. Been my experience if you treat the GW with respect you will be respected in return. And, don't wait until opening day to give them a call. They're a little busy dealing with the folks that solicited bogus advice on internet forums. grin

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Gamewardens [Re: outdoorsmen54] #5284446 09/02/14 08:31 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
So the order here seems we are to ask the game warden to grant permission to hunt our own property? 600 yards from a feeder and the general answer is to ask the game warden's permision for fear of a citation?

Re: Gamewardens [Re: wal1809] #5284474 09/02/14 08:49 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
So the order here seems we are to ask the game warden to grant permission to hunt our own property? 600 yards from a feeder and the general answer is to ask the game warden's permision for fear of a citation?

If it involves "Baiting"...you're dang skippy.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Gamewardens [Re: wal1809] #5284479 09/02/14 08:51 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

NP if I ever seen an NP

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Gamewardens [Re: GigEmAggies] #5284518 09/02/14 09:14 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: GigEmAggies
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Pretty much was said tongue in cheek...this is one of the times I do not believe in that saying. Better to have it clarified to avoid the issue. As far as knowing what is on neighboring land, I would say you can't know and shouldn't be expected to know unless the feeder was visible from where you were hunting. Like anything, guess it is up to the GW's interpretation.

So you're telling me if my neighbor sets up a feeder on his property that is visible I can't hunt on MY land?!?! So I go out and spend a huge amount of money to buy some land and I can't hunt it because my neighbor has a feeder set up? No way! Not saying you were implying that is the rule but there is no way that would hold up.

Unfortunately yes I believe. It is possible (not right but what are you going to do) to hunt in another part of the property if there is a feeder within sight. Like I said, I'm more worried about a feeder you can't see and have no way of avoiding.

Re: Gamewardens [Re: wal1809] #5284547 09/02/14 09:33 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Where does this flight path thing come into play? No where in there does it say "Flight path to and from bait". If shooting birds that are to and from baited areasa, we would all be in violation with or without knowing it.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/...s/general-rules

"A hunter may not
hunt migratory birds with the aid of bait, or on or over any baited area"

Its pretty easy to see if your hunting a flight path to or from a baited area than the baited area is aiding you in killing those birds.

Re: Gamewardens [Re: wal1809] #5284578 09/02/14 09:46 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

For the record I would hunt if I was the OP. A GW would really have to be an a-hole to give you a ticket for hunting 600 yards from feeder. I have hunted within 80 yards of mine before because they were hitting the goat weed that was near it.

But, what she told him, as far as being able to get a ticket for it, is accurate. Will he? Very doubtful. Very very doubtful.

Re: Gamewardens [Re: outdoorsmen54] #5284717 09/02/14 10:58 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I got checked in Wise county yesterday. Had my ten year old with me. She was very nice and respectful to both of us. She checked both of our licenses. I offered to let her check our guns for plugging and she politely declined. They are human so you're going to get the good side and the bad side depending upon the luck of the draw. Many years ago a friend and I were plinking with 22's when there was no open season. I had a license but my friend did not. He gave him a ticket for hunting without a license. Said rabbits (no closed season) were known to be in the area so we were technically hunting. We were shooting cans and it was very obvious. He just wanted to be a jerk. Took it to the Johnson cty Justice of the peace and he laughed. Said he couldn't believe what a waste of taxpayer's money it was and immediately dismissed it. still a pain in the arse.

Re: Gamewardens [Re: outdoorsmen54] #5284859 09/03/14 12:10 AM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
It sounds like you should be careful. She is probably trying to fast track herself up the ladder from Crappie Cop all the way to Dove Detective.

#sigline
Re: Gamewardens [Re: outdoorsmen54] #5284864 09/03/14 12:12 AM
D
DLFant Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
That is stupid was her name Fife

Re: Gamewardens [Re: HOF] #5284872 09/03/14 12:14 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: HOF

If it involves "Baiting"...you're dang skippy.

If you have to ask the government permission, you're not free.

Re: Gamewardens [Re: Trout-killer] #5284900 09/03/14 12:25 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Trout-killer
Where does this flight path thing come into play? No where in there does it say "Flight path to and from bait". If shooting birds that are to and from baited areasa, we would all be in violation with or without knowing it.

"A hunter may not

Its pretty easy to see if your hunting a flight path to or from a baited area than the baited area is aiding you in killing those birds.

That isnt even logical. With that thought process, every bird we shoot would be illegal. They are all flying to bait at one time or the other.

The point of all this is to say, it is.nkt.uo to a game warden to make law. Their interpretation sucks but thank God and a lot of dead soldiers that they are noy the decision makers. LAW IS NOT THEIR BUSINESS, INTERPRETATION IS NOT THEIR BUSINESS, ENFORCEMENT IS THEIR BUSINESS. Bringing violators to justice is all they are hired to do.

You do as you please. I am going hunting. I am going to follow law. If i get a ticket and the GW is wrong, no problem. I will be polite and kindly let a jury hand him his arse, politely of course😁

Last edited by wal1809; 09/03/14 12:26 AM.
Re: Gamewardens [Re: outdoorsmen54] #5284910 09/03/14 12:32 AM
G
GTS1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I am sure the dove is flying to food somewhere. I think the dove like to fly to Oklahoma and I know someone there has a feeder so I guess we are all in trouble. mad

Re: Gamewardens [Re: GTS1] #5284915 09/03/14 12:33 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: GTS1
I am sure the dove is flying to food somewhere. I think the dove like to fly to Oklahoma and I know someone there has a feeder so I guess we are all in trouble. mad

Thank you for getting my point. This outlaw bit has done got out of hand.

Re: Gamewardens [Re: outdoorsmen54] #5284921 09/03/14 12:34 AM
O
outdoorsmen54 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
Okay sorry long day under the helmet laying money, beads. I did ask the question for a couple reasons. I knew she knew the feeder was down there. Two, I knew she would be back to check me if I was hunting. I asked the exact question of, "How far away from a feeder do you have to be for it to not be considered baiting?" Her response, "Theres really no judgeable distance cause it could be said that the dove your shooting is flying to the feeder, therefor that is baiting." She followed that up with, "After having a positive run in with someone, Id hate to give that someone a ticket the next time I see them." So I told her id shut the feeder off. She also asked what I was feeding. I said corn. She scolded me for feeding corn when its 90 degree days cause it makes the deer sick. First time I had heard that. But I, like most of yall, love hunting. Each time I am in the woods is like a vacation. Reason I asked is cause I would hate to have my first ticket from a GW because of something that is avoidable.

Re: Gamewardens [Re: wal1809] #5285001 09/03/14 01:19 AM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Trout-killer

"A hunter may not

That isnt even logical. With that thought process, every bird we shoot would be illegal. They are all flying to bait at one time or the other.

The point of all this is to say, it is.nkt.uo to a game warden to make law. Their interpretation sucks but thank God and a lot of dead soldiers that they are noy the decision makers. LAW IS NOT THEIR BUSINESS, INTERPRETATION IS NOT THEIR BUSINESS, ENFORCEMENT IS THEIR BUSINESS. Bringing violators to justice is all they are hired to do.

You do as you please. I am going hunting. I am going to follow law. If i get a ticket and the GW is wrong, no problem. I will be polite and kindly let a jury hand him his arse, politely of course😁

Your right Wal. You can't get ticketed for hunting on a flight path close to a baited area. I tell you what... Go ahead a dump 1000 lbs of corn in a pile in the middle of a 50 acre field better yet make it 100 acres... hunt the edges and shoot birds as they come in. By YOUR INTERPRITATION that would be completely legal as you wouldn't be directly over the bait. But, I guarantee you your arse would be fined so hard your head would pop off.

Re: Gamewardens [Re: outdoorsmen54] #5285019 09/03/14 01:27 AM
U
udamdan Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
popcorn

Re: Gamewardens [Re: udamdan] #5285029 09/03/14 01:32 AM
D
Dove Weed Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted By: udamdan
popcorn

Hey udamdan, you can't eat popcorn...That would be considered baiting. Sorry, I couldn't help myself...LOL

Re: Gamewardens [Re: Dove Weed] #5285031 09/03/14 01:33 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Dove Weed
Originally Posted By: udamdan
popcorn

Hey udamdan, you can't eat popcorn...That would be considered baiting. Sorry, I couldn't help myself...LOL
He is baiting for trolls totally legal LOL.

Re: Gamewardens [Re: outdoorsmen54] #5285072 09/03/14 01:47 AM
J
Jacob645 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Corn makes deer sick? I wouldn't listen to a word she says.

Re: Gamewardens [Re: outdoorsmen54] #5285165 09/03/14 02:22 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Yup,
If I understand her correctly: my anti-hunting neighbor could put up feeders on their property (where it is illegal for me to trespass and investigate,) to intentionally stop me from hunting dove. But then wouldn't the "hunter harassment law" come into play there. Then my anti-hunter neighbor would get the ticket! banana

TPWD regs have a ton gray areas. We jokingly make fun of the different weak description of laws it has, they need to brush up and define things better. We just do our best to do what is right.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Gamewardens [Re: Jacob645] #5285191 09/03/14 02:30 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Jacob645
Corn makes deer sick? I wouldn't listen to a word she says.
welcome roflmao

Last edited by Navasot; 09/03/14 02:31 AM.
Re: Gamewardens [Re: Simple Searcher] #5285204 09/03/14 02:32 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Yup,
If I understand her correctly: my anti-hunting neighbor could put up feeders on their property (where it is illegal for me to trespass and investigate,) to intentionally stop me from hunting dove. But then wouldn't the "hunter harassment law" come into play there. Then my anti-hunter neighbor would get the ticket! banana

TPWD regs have a ton gray areas. We jokingly make fun of the different weak description of laws it has, they need to brush up and define things better. We just do our best to do what is right.

And then some wonder why GWs have a hard time only "enforcing" the laws instead of interpreting them. IMO, it is up to the GW to interpret the gray areas and base the enforcement on that. Then the courts can sort the rest out. In many cases, LEOs do the exact same thing. It requires a certain amount of common sense approach, but also gives them the chance to stick it to an arse that doesn't like the law in the first place and decides to blame them grin.

I would venture a guess that a select few on this thread in particular don't get along very well with GWs....

As far as the OP goes, I would still hunt and deal with it if I received a ticket. My 2cents

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Gamewardens [Re: outdoorsmen54] #5285221 09/03/14 02:37 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Ive been checked by 3 different GW on Fort Hood all were very nice checked me to make sure I was up to date on license and area access pass and let me go on my merry way. I think if they get a bad vibe off of you then you got a good chance of quickly getting on their radar and bad side.

Re: Gamewardens [Re: txshntr] #5285364 09/03/14 03:34 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Yup,

And then some wonder why GWs have a hard time only "enforcing" the laws instead of interpreting them. IMO, it is up to the GW to interpret the gray areas and base the enforcement on that. Then the courts can sort the rest out. In many cases, LEOs do the exact same thing. It requires a certain amount of common sense approach, but also gives them the chance to stick it to an arse that doesn't like the law in the first place and decides to blame them grin.

I would venture a guess that a select few on this thread in particular don't get along very well with GWs....

As far as the OP goes, I would still hunt and deal with it if I received a ticket. My 2cents

Yup,
Nothing wrong with studying the rules, and questioning different scenarios, it is a great way to get educated on hunting laws. Something too many make too little or no effort doing.
If in doubt, we just don't do it, whether we agree with them or not. If their is a gray area, we simply won't stretch the rule to fit our situation. That is asking for trouble.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide