Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5266988 08/22/14 05:01 PM
N
NewJeep Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Best thing to do is just have a nice conversation with them and don't jump straight in and ask to hunt.
I hunt a few properties 10 mins from my house I don't pay a dime for. All of them are covered with game including exotics

Live to hunt, forced to work!
Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5267133 08/22/14 07:13 PM
T
TexaShot0341 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
I like how everyone's results weren't overwhelmingly one sided. That leaves some fairly promising hope to all the door knockers out there. Does anyone know how to look up the owner of a piece of land you've scouted? i.e. a plat map.

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5267139 08/22/14 07:16 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
You can typically go a county website and once you figure out the naming convention for a particular street (it may be very straight forward), you can pull up all the addresses for that road and play around with google maps to figure out which is the one you're interested in.

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5267200 08/22/14 08:22 PM
T
TexaShot0341 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5269419 08/24/14 05:13 PM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
As a landowner it is very hard to know who will care for your place and treat it the way you want it treated. Nobody comes up to you and says "I'm a jackwagon that will leave gates open, dump trash all over, shoot nubbin bucks, stay drunk all the time, and not help out a lick."

I find it is very hard to find people that fit what I see as good ranch friends. Everyone is ready to come out and get fed and shoot hogs, deer, exotics, turkey, whatever, without so much as filling a feeder. Hard to find someone who actually makes the commitment to help out and make the place better for hunting year round.

On that note, I am losing one of my best ranch friends I met on here for a while. Newt is heading to Florida for a bit, but I was glad to have him out there, and hope he comes back soon. I had major health problems this year, with an extended hospital stay, and it was good knowing I had newt and another friend looking out for the place. Its not always just about money, but on the other hand, don't expect me to spend my money keeping a place up so others can hunt for free.

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5269564 08/24/14 07:00 PM
T
TexaShot0341 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
I am taking the approach of finding a voluntary job on a farm with the possibility of maybe hunting on it. There's a lot that I could gain from that experience and so much to learn as far as the agricultural process goes. Plus I wouldn't mind making some life long friends along the way. If anybody around Lubbock needs help, I've got most weekends free.

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5269752 08/24/14 09:29 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
I have asked two guys to hunt their land and in turn, I do some labor. Got an Ok from both. Yesterday removed some cattle panel's and filled a feeder! This is my second year, not to much labor at all!

Last edited by White Falcon; 08/24/14 09:29 PM.
Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5280017 08/30/14 02:30 PM
T
TexasVine Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
First of all, the odds are not in your favor. Knowing that, an honest and sincere approach is the best. Your asking for something so it is best to offer something in return. Perhaps working around the property, helping move cattle, fixing fences....something that's meaningful to the land owner. Start out small. Ask for one hunt instead of long term hunting privileges. Show up alone and be willing to hunt alone. The thought of two strangers on my property versus becomes less desirable. Earn respect and become a value to the land owner. Be willing to give more than you get. Be modest and do not come off as a big time hunter.

Good luck.

TexasVine
[Linked Image]
Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5280041 08/30/14 02:50 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
My dad allowed a friend of his to bring his sons and hunt white tail on his farm outside Corsicana and they've gradually reached the point where they act like it's their place and don't follow the rules. My dad would have kicked my [censored] if I'd tried to pull some of the stuff they've done but he's 82 yo and I guess is willing to put up with the BS to have someone to visit with.

His invite turned into their full-time unpaid deer lease with a travel trailer parked on the place. They litter, drive over cultivated fields, and leave spent shell casings on the ground. The last straw was finding out recently that one of the fellas sons who is hunting (using a firearm) is a convicted felon. My old man gave them an inch, and the SOB's have taken advantage of a free place to hunt. I'm to the point where my brother and I are going to have a sit-down with pop's and try to set him straight.

Last edited by aerangis; 08/30/14 03:22 PM.
Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5280069 08/30/14 03:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: TexaShot0341

I have the co, nm and Oklahoma chip.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: aerangis] #5280386 08/30/14 07:17 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: aerangis
My dad allowed a friend of his to bring his sons and hunt white tail on his farm outside Corsicana and they've gradually reached the point where they act like it's their place and don't follow the rules. My dad would have kicked my [censored] if I'd tried to pull some of the stuff they've done but he's 82 yo and I guess is willing to put up with the BS to have someone to visit with.

His invite turned into their full-time unpaid deer lease with a travel trailer parked on the place. They litter, drive over cultivated fields, and leave spent shell casings on the ground. The last straw was finding out recently that one of the fellas sons who is hunting (using a firearm) is a convicted felon. My old man gave them an inch, and the SOB's have taken advantage of a free place to hunt. I'm to the point where my brother and I are going to have a sit-down with pop's and try to set him straight.

No way would I let a convicted felon carry an illegal gun on my place. You need to help your dad understand the importance of not doing that.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5280581 08/30/14 10:30 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TexaShot0341
This goes out to all of those who have done it, but even if you haven't, I would like to hear what you have to say. When it comes to asking landowners for permission to hunt on their land, what is the best approach to it? Please share any experiences. If there are any landowners on here too, how would you hope for an encounter with a hunter asking for permission to play out?

Did it in June. Found a prairie dog town on private land. Went to the nearest house to the place and knocked on the door. Made sure I was viewable through the peephole and whomever answered the door could see my jands. Stepped as far away from the door as the portch would let me. Keep in mind I was way up in the panhandle where this house's nearest neighbor was ten miles away. Maam, sir, hat in hand. A grandmother answered the door, I told her what we were doing and she was very nice and told me to talk to her 80 year old dad across the road. Went over there and explained what we were doing. He knew the landowner, called them, explained a couple of prairie dog hunters were asking permission. While he was on the phone I said tell them we leave gates like we find them, we leave no trash behind, the only way you can tell we were there is a bunch of dead prairie dogs. Land owner said well if that's how yall operate, get after it! Said I'd check in again next year as we are here annually, and we'll make sure it's still ok.

Was a good town and we shot lots-o-rounds in it. Didn't damage anything or litter like we said we'd do.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5280605 08/30/14 10:50 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I think a lot has to do with what area of the State you are asking in. I may be wrong, but if you tried it around here unless you had cash in hand you would be SOL. Doing a few odd jobs does not equal what people sell deer for. Not being negative just stating the facts.

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: aerangis] #5280609 08/30/14 10:52 PM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P

This pissed me off just reading it. Good luck on talking to pops! I hope ya'll can get things settled.

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5280661 08/30/14 11:27 PM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Have a place to hunt dove, duck and fish just by knocking on a door. Its amazing how far common courtesy, manners and being polite will go sometimes. To some, its not about money or the worry of being sued; it's about conversation, friendships and taking the time to get to know someone. Hell, I've been told no before by some, but still had a great conversation which eventually led to them pointing me to their friends or neighbors. Even been told no but they thanked me for having the gumption to walk up to the door and ask. Its the trespassers and the people who have no respect for someone else's property that are ruining this type of deal.

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: 68A] #5280915 08/31/14 02:30 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^That's right^^

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #5281664 08/31/14 07:04 PM
E
elkhunter7x6 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
I'll just say older men don't like words or phrases like, "Bro" "dude" and "hit me up"

up

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: elkhunter7x6] #5281673 08/31/14 07:08 PM
E
elkhunter7x6 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
I know its not the samething, but I knocked on several doors last week in S.Dakota and was very sucessfull in gaining access for Pdogs. As a land owner I try to us that in my favor while trying to connect with a rancher or farmer.

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5281790 08/31/14 09:01 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
have gotten permission several places. a lot depends on area. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: therancher] #5281807 08/31/14 09:16 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: therancher

No way would I let a convicted felon carry an illegal gun on my place. You need to help your dad understand the importance of not doing that.

Agreed.

My old man is kind to a fault and would give someone the shirt off his back. But if it comes down to it, we're gonna get it straightened out ourselves with a friend who's also a LEO and has known my dad since we were kids.

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: 10ring] #5282661 09/01/14 03:39 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: 10ring
It's like the good ol days of chasing girls in college... Never hesitate and the worst they can say is NO!
And the more you ask out the better your chances are of finding one that says YES!

Years ago it was quite common to get permission to hunt on someone's place. A polite knock on the door asking if they allowed hunting and if you could go out and promising to mind the gates etc... usually got an ok. Or a casual conversation in town and meeting the right people sure helped. But now a days it seems hard to even find the right person to ask and when you do find the right person it seems they have the place leased or don't allow anyone out because of fear of liabilities or someone in the past made them mad and messed things up for those to follow. But again it never hurts to be polite and simply ask if you can hunt. The worst anybody can say is "no". Even if they scream "get the F off my porch"!!! All they are really saying is "no"... kind of like the girls back in college!

While I agree with your theory...The flaw is...the ones that say yes, usually look like this

Or this...

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5290091 09/05/14 08:33 PM
J
jae011 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
This whole topic is the reason I have loved living in North Dakota. If the land isn't posted your legally allowed to hunt it. I still stop by and talk to the farmer but they usually never say no. Plus there is a ton of public hunting land and private lands listed for the public to hunt. You are never restricted to one piece of land. I have hunted around the entire state. It's awesome. I really miss Texas but the unrestricted hunting up here is heaven. When it comes time to get out of the AF deciding between moving back home or staying up north will be dam hard to do.

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: TexaShot0341] #5290760 09/06/14 04:22 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I just go down the local "watering hole" and make friends with the local farmers and when they tell me about the d@mn deer eating their peas, I volunteer my services!!! When I was younger, I just stopped by and visited with them a while, usually drinking coffee or something a little stronger, and then ask them!!! If they said no then I still made a friend and if they said yes, then I would do a little work to help them and even gave them some of the meat if I killed anything!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: jae011] #5290883 09/06/14 11:43 AM
L
Lil Joe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted By: jae011
This whole topic is the reason I have loved living in North Dakota. If the land isn't posted your legally allowed to hunt it. I still stop by and talk to the farmer but they usually never say no. Plus there is a ton of public hunting land and private lands listed for the public to hunt. You are never restricted to one piece of land. I have hunted around the entire state. It's awesome. I really miss Texas but the unrestricted hunting up here is heaven. When it comes time to get out of the AF deciding between moving back home or staying up north will be dam hard to do.

I got invited to go hunting in North Dakota in 2005 and it was awesome. There are tons of deer and very few people who hunt. The guy who let us hunt his properties made it sound as though they only hunt during the gun season which is or was 2 weeks a year back then but bow season starts in September and goes through December I think. The deer are tame compared to the deer here in Texas. We had an awesome trip and I killed what is still my biggest bow kill.

Re: Asking permission to hunt [Re: Lil Joe] #5290950 09/06/14 01:06 PM
J
jae011 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Joel c
Originally Posted By: jae011

I got invited to go hunting in North Dakota in 2005 and it was awesome. There are tons of deer and very few people who hunt. The guy who let us hunt his properties made it sound as though they only hunt during the gun season which is or was 2 weeks a year back then but bow season starts in September and goes through December I think. The deer are tame compared to the deer here in Texas. We had an awesome trip and I killed what is still my biggest bow kill.

They have some huge deer here! Not to mention the world class waterfowl and pheasant hunting. Hell if you could take the worst shot and he could still limit out in an hour on ducks here. And don't even get me started on the badlands! Huge mule deer everywhere! That place is a bow hunters fantasy. Yeah it gets cold here, 40 below zero sucks! But it's a small price to pay for the sportsman heaven I live in.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide