Re: Bad Call? [Re: Hunt n Fish] #5235397 08/05/14 01:57 AM
S
Shawheel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
From the Snake's point of view:

While out sunning this last weekend and not bothering anyone, a hunter crossed my path. This hunter was a pretty good size, and in about the 5.5 - 6 ft range.

I didn't pay too much attention, just took a good long look. Then I noticed he's not making a sound. I don't rattle anymore because I've found out that rattling can be hazardous to a snakes health when pigs are around. We are now being quiet, but then he even went as far as tossing some pebbles at my head to see if I would get excited. I stayed dead quiet, even though my first instinct was to move. My second instinct was to bite since I'm not bothering anyone. I'm not in a barn, the yard, or on the front porch, I was just sunning myself & minding my own business.

I finally decided the hunter wasn't worth messing with. But I keep thinking about this: When the hunter is bothering me by throwing rocks at me when I'm minding my own business, should this automatically put it on the hit list?

I don't think the hunters out here have an overwhelming population, and I was advised that it's up to my discretion as to whether or not to bite them. On one hand, I didn't feel it was hurting anything at the time. On the other, I feel because it had alot of potential to do so by throwing rocks, maybe I should have.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

loser8

Classic.

I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness. -Ted Nugent
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5235783 08/05/14 10:17 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
It might make sense if a hog relied on its hearing, but it doesn't. A hog relies on its sense of smell, like a deer or a dog. If a hog wanted to kill a snake, it just has to sniff one up and kill it, which it could probably do from a pretty good distance.

If the "E" theory were to have some merit, I would give more credence to humans snuffing out the "rattlers" versus hogs. I know I would do my best to try to make that happen.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236024 08/05/14 02:12 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
While I'll grant you that the hogs themselves are causing the problem is a bit far fetched, lets look into this further. I'm looking at it as a theory, not the answer. The wildlife biologist who has been working the area for many years, is the one who stated this theory to me. That, in my mind, will give it some amount of credibility as a theory due to the fact the biologist is holding the degree.

Snakes that were usually pretty good about letting their presence be known are now quiet. Lets say the biologist is already smart enough to realize that they are not always loud in the first place. Let's say the biologist is also smart enough to realize what different contributing factors could cause this snake to be quiet over loud. Biologist now has a rough baseline as to when or why snake should be sounding off.

Now with the arrival of population of hogs that is quickly getting larger, these snakes have seemingly changed their behavior. So now, there are a bunch of close calls with rattlers, that normally would not be, because normally the snakes would be loud, and let their position be known.

After almost getting nailed a few times, when this was almost never an issue, there come a realization that something has changed, but what? Well lets say 90% of the time before this population of hogs showed up the rattler sounded off at a good distance ( pulled that statistic from my arse, just as an example).Lets says a year after the arrival of these pigs this statistic has changed to 85%. Withing 5 years, well BS some more numbers and jump to the conclusion of 65% are sounding off normally, while the other 35% are being quietly.

Now start adding in population changes based on natural predation, and death. Birth rates of loud ones vs. quiet ones. And we are not talking a learned behavior here. We are talking about snakes that are genetically predispositioned to be loud vs. quiet. All of a sudden we have snakes that had a better chance to live long enough to breed because they were quiet, so they are the ones passing on this genetic trait, that eventually goes from a recessive trait, to a dominant trait.

Realistically, no the hogs didn't do it by themselves. Hell, it may not have anything to do with it. But if you look at it as the animals that are the biggest predator to these snakes (humans being the biggest), and the fact that we tend to go after the ones we hear, add in that supposedly the problematic pigs with high populations are doing the same thing. We have what would be a forced evolutionary response. Again, we are not talking about learned behavior here. We are talking about genetic traits. I'm not going to say I put a ton of faith into the theory, but according to the wildlife biologist I work with the most, it is becoming a widespread theory among alot of them. I'll jump on the bandwagon for a bit, at least until I see another one that makes more sense.

So if that's the theory I'm working off of, I should (in theory) be all for the culling of quiet rattlers, and want to leave only loud obnoxious ones behind yes?

Did this arsehole just try to give a biology, and evolution 101 lesson to a bunch of hunters? Yes he did other me, yes he did. cheers

Shot my first turkey today...Scared the crap out of everyone in the frozen food section, it was awesome!
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236030 08/05/14 02:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Might ask him what if the snakes were already not rattling before hogs were in the area?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236035 08/05/14 02:22 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Nakraik
While I'll grant you that the hogs themselves are causing the problem is a bit far fetched, lets look into this further. I'm looking at it as a theory, not the answer. The wildlife biologist who has been working the area for many years, is the one who stated this theory to me. That, in my mind, will give it some amount of credibility as a theory due to the fact the biologist is holding the degree.

Snakes that were usually pretty good about letting their presence be known are now quiet. Lets say the biologist is already smart enough to realize that they are not always loud in the first place. Let's say the biologist is also smart enough to realize what different contributing factors could cause this snake to be quiet over loud. Biologist now has a rough baseline as to when or why snake should be sounding off.

Now with the arrival of population of hogs that is quickly getting larger, these snakes have seemingly changed their behavior. So now, there are a bunch of close calls with rattlers, that normally would not be, because normally the snakes would be loud, and let their position be known.

After almost getting nailed a few times, when this was almost never an issue, there come a realization that something has changed, but what? Well lets say 90% of the time before this population of hogs showed up the rattler sounded off at a good distance ( pulled that statistic from my arse, just as an example).Lets says a year after the arrival of these pigs this statistic has changed to 85%. Withing 5 years, well BS some more numbers and jump to the conclusion of 65% are sounding off normally, while the other 35% are being quietly.

Now start adding in population changes based on natural predation, and death. Birth rates of loud ones vs. quiet ones. And we are not talking a learned behavior here. We are talking about snakes that are genetically predispositioned to be loud vs. quiet. All of a sudden we have snakes that had a better chance to live long enough to breed because they were quiet, so they are the ones passing on this genetic trait, that eventually goes from a recessive trait, to a dominant trait.

Realistically, no the hogs didn't do it by themselves. Hell, it may not have anything to do with it. But if you look at it as the animals that are the biggest predator to these snakes (humans being the biggest), and the fact that we tend to go after the ones we hear, add in that supposedly the problematic pigs with high populations are doing the same thing. We have what would be a forced evolutionary response. Again, we are not talking about learned behavior here. We are talking about genetic traits. I'm not going to say I put a ton of faith into the theory, but according to the wildlife biologist I work with the most, it is becoming a widespread theory among alot of them. I'll jump on the bandwagon for a bit, at least until I see another one that makes more sense.

So if that's the theory I'm working off of, I should (in theory) be all for the culling of quiet rattlers, and want to leave only loud obnoxious ones behind yes?

Did this arsehole just try to give a biology, and evolution 101 lesson to a bunch of hunters? Yes he did other me, yes he did. cheers

Cliffs?

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236344 08/05/14 05:45 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
This is my bs post, you write 'em

Shot my first turkey today...Scared the crap out of everyone in the frozen food section, it was awesome!
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Sneaky] #5236365 08/05/14 05:58 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Don't over think simple things in life. Whether you had killed him or not is going to have little to no effect on this world. I would have killed him just to eat him. I let the small ones go so I can kill them when they're bigger.

You can't eat the rattles. Go eat a garter snake. peep

...as for more and more snakes not rattling, I think there are more and more people out there which increases the number of encounters and in most of those encounters the humans expect to hear a rattlesnake rattle.

Last edited by HuntnFly67; 08/05/14 06:05 PM.
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236373 08/05/14 06:01 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
What kind of rattler was it? The eastern and timber rattlers are very docile and will not rattle until they are pizzed off.... I moved a timber off the road and to the creek so it wouldn't get ran over and it never made a noise until the dog started barking at it... amazing looking snakes also and have no intension on hurting us... we are the intruders not them.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236467 08/05/14 06:58 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
No idea what kind to be honest. I'd have to go look it up and get back with you.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236571 08/05/14 07:48 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I don't kill them anymore. When I was growing up as a kid around the Caprock area, a 2-3 foot rattlesnake was a small one. I remember and have some pics of 5+ foot snakes, big SOB's. Now, when you do see them, they are 2-3' at the biggest. They don't bother me and I don't bother them.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236722 08/05/14 08:50 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Navasot, it was a Western Diamondback.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236744 08/05/14 09:01 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
That is odd. Was it glazed grey over its eyes?

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236758 08/05/14 09:06 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Either way you gota watch out for the kiddos so don't think im bashing you for your decision.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: txshntr] #5236784 08/05/14 09:24 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I don't believe rattlers don't rattle because of hogs.

I don't either. I hunt a place with no hogs and some rattle, some don't. Some are aggressive, some are passive.

I catch em, play with em and let em go. I have killed a few in the past but most get a pass. Don't blame people for killing them, just don't see the need unless they are around the house or camp, and then I relocate most the time.
agree, some rattle, some don't, most fat boys fart, some don't, it amazes' me how many big bad ars's dirty their drawers when they see a snake ANY KIND OF SNAKE

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236816 08/05/14 09:54 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Navasot, no it's eyes were not glazed. Had a good size rattle for no bigger than he was, and his colors were so pristine, he must have just shed. He really was a beaut. Like I said, I let him go, just wasn't really sure if I should have. After everyone entering their input, and weighing my thoughts on it, I'm glad I did. He wasn't bothering anyone, and isn't likely to do so in the future. Just gotta teach the kids, and I guess I can deal with the chaps. Or I can take my chances with a bite. Hell, at my size, so long as I'm not allergic, I'd probably be ok. I know another hunter around my size who'd been bit, and he had almost no issues aside from some general swelling. Probably won't take my chances though. wink

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Sneaky] #5236897 08/05/14 10:39 PM
L
Lil Joe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I would have killed him just to eat him.

REALLY? How do you cook them? What do they taste like? chicken?

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5236971 08/05/14 11:20 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Hell no they don't taste like a nasty chicken. They taste good. I just fry them. You live under a rock or something?

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5237219 08/06/14 01:03 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Snakes have different moods just like any other animal. Sometimes they rattle, sometimes they don't. Sometimes fish bite like crazy, sometimes you blank. Sometimes a cat will chase a laser all over the house for hours, sometimes they look at you like you're retarded for shaking a laser at them. Some of y'all are giving them too much credit by thinking a snake can learn something.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5237274 08/06/14 01:29 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
If it has a rattle I kill it whether it rattles or not. I like snakes. Had a few in aquariums over the years. But they weren't venomous. No venomous snake gets a pass from me.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5237286 08/06/14 01:37 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
My first pet snake was a rattler when I was a kid. Traded him in at the snake show for a beautiful coachwhip. That was my payment for skinning so many rattlers that day. Worked for me.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #5237867 08/06/14 12:23 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
[quote=Hunt n Fish]

flehan

If they aren't in camp, around a blind or feeder, most snakes (and hunters) get a pass from me.

me 2

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5237876 08/06/14 12:27 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
It it had been a snake it would have bit you on the @$$!

DRT if its somewhere in my path. If its out in the brush on the side of the road I would have probably have left it be.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Hunt n Fish] #5238386 08/06/14 05:26 PM
S
Sam in the Hills Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S

Eh- I woulda left it. My spouse and I disagree on this one but If it isn't near any dwellings or the barn or pump house then why kill it? It kills mice and baby jackrabbits....jackrabbits eat the grass my cows want to eat so I'm cool with them helping out.

FWIW - I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but I think it's being looked at as a step up the evolutionary ladder. Brings up the question of whether a snake can have a "learned" response. [/quote]

I learned in the way overpriced Biology classes that they made em take to get my (science) degree....pretty much all aninals can have a elarned response.

Visions Ranch and Wildlife
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5239142 08/06/14 11:23 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Sound, no sound...dead rattler just the same....everytime

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5239309 08/07/14 12:53 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I currently have three diamondback rattlesnakes. Caught two just north of Abilene and one off a ranch near Adamsville. Have had all three over four years. Both snakes from Abilene were caught (in consecutive years) with a single button. The one from Adamsville had 6 rattles and I estimate was 3-4 years old.

If I so much as walk by their enclosure the snakes from Abilene immediately rattle and continue to do so until I leave the area. The snake from Adamsville I have "NEVER" heard rattle. This includes the day I caught it, feeding time, removing from the enclosure to clean it, etc.

That said, my experience thru encountering numerous rattlesnakes over the years is they are as individual as you and I. Some act aggressive at your mere presence, while some remain passive unless you get outright overly aggressive with them....most fall somewhere in between.

I don't kill snakes and rescue/relocate whenever possible.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide