Forums46
Topics539,470
Posts9,750,019
Members87,165
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: txshntr] #5201439 07/14/14 11:52 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I know what commercialization is, don't need WikiDan for that..but thanks up

You asked me how the efforts to create a special season for bow hunters equated to commercialization of the sport and I did that. I cannot help it if linking my answer to a definition was useful in doing that.

But I will admit that I've enjoyed watching bow hunters fighting and foaming at the mouth through the years over crossbows and such. Thankfully, those who prefer a firearm have been much more civil in their debates over which calibers are best.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5201445 07/14/14 11:55 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I know what commercialization is, don't need WikiDan for that..but thanks up

You asked me how the efforts to create a special season for bow hunters equated to commercialization of the sport and I did that. I cannot help it if linking my answer to a definition was useful in doing that.

I asked if you thought that it brought more people to the sport or if you thought the only incentive for adding the additional season was only for commercialization. You answered neither and simply gave me the definition, but thanks cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5201597 07/15/14 01:33 AM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I hunt with a vertical bow but really don't have any thoughts, positive or negative, about crossbows.

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5201604 07/15/14 01:37 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Compound bows and hunting crossbows are not that far removed from each other in history. Compound bows have much more in common with a Crossbow, than a Crossbow has in common with any rifle.

Use of crossbows during bow seasons started long before now. It is not some commercial conspiracy. In fact most don't realize it started right along with some States early bow seasons. The first patent for a compound bow was not until 1969. I was shooting a longbow in 1969 almost daily. Compounds did not start showing up in the stores I think until the early to middle 1970s. At the same time States like Ohio and Arkansas were already allowing crossbows during their bow seasons. Wyoming had always allowed crossbows during archery season. But Crossbows then were so primitive by the days standards that no one paid much attention to them.

Now compounds are a different story. With Bo Luke and his Martin Warthog firing exploding arrows with rifle like range and accuracy, every young man wanted a compound bow. Those that did not own one, much like those who have never owned or shot a Crossbow today, had unreasonable expectations of how effective they could be. I well remember the same arguments as on this thread and was told. "Anyone who would hunt with a compound bow can't call themselves a bowhunter". So sometime around 1979 to early 80s I ceased to be a bowhunter when I bought my first Bear compound at Gibsons. I then killed my first Deer with that bow in Grayson county. And that was at least 5 years before I ever owned a Deer Rifle.

My first Crossbow was a Compound Barnett from Service Merchandise in the late 1980s. I hated the thing. Inaccurate, difficult to sight in and stay sighted in, plastic peep sight that would not stay on, so loud you thought it was going to shatter when you shot it. There was no season that allowed it and that was a good thing. It would have frustrated me out of the sport if I did not have my old Bear along with a Martin target bow to use.

The whole thing about compounds, crossbows, and dedicated archery seasons really are recent history as far as american history goes. I don't know about Texas, but in Oklahoma it was not until 1951 that the first ever whitetail was taken with a bow during a legal hunting season and by a 13 year old kid at that. Not too many years ago the thought of hunting with bows of any kind, vertical, horizontal, compound, were all looked at as cruel and ineffective by many hunters. There are still vocal non hunters, and unfortunately a few hunters that still believe this and would love to see it all taken away from us. If our numbers shrink enough, that will happen.

I have watched the technology for Compounds advance rapidly over time. But during the same years crossbows on the market stayed crappy and mostly the same. Only in recent years has the same technology started to catch up with the crossbow. I think it not just more States allowing them for hunting that is making them popular, but also the technological improvements making both more user friendly. If that gets more new people into hunting, gets experience hunters in the woods more days, more kids and women into the sport, and more money to wildlife departments, I don't see it as a bad thing at all.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: Sniper John] #5201690 07/15/14 02:32 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Compound bows and hunting crossbows are not that far removed from each other in history. Compound bows have much more in common with a Crossbow, than a Crossbow has in common with any rifle.

Use of crossbows during bow seasons started long before now. It is not some commercial conspiracy. In fact most don't realize it started right along with some States early bow seasons. The first patent for a compound bow was not until 1969. I was shooting a longbow in 1969 almost daily. Compounds did not start showing up in the stores I think until the early to middle 1970s. At the same time States like Ohio and Arkansas were already allowing crossbows during their bow seasons. Wyoming had always allowed crossbows during archery season. But Crossbows then were so primitive by the days standards that no one paid much attention to them.

Now compounds are a different story. With Bo Luke and his Martin Warthog firing exploding arrows with rifle like range and accuracy, every young man wanted a compound bow. Those that did not own one, much like those who have never owned or shot a Crossbow today, had unreasonable expectations of how effective they could be. I well remember the same arguments as on this thread and was told. "Anyone who would hunt with a compound bow can't call themselves a bowhunter". So sometime around 1979 to early 80s I ceased to be a bowhunter when I bought my first Bear compound at Gibsons. I then killed my first Deer with that bow in Grayson county. And that was at least 5 years before I ever owned a Deer Rifle.

My first Crossbow was a Compound Barnett from Service Merchandise in the late 1980s. I hated the thing. Inaccurate, difficult to sight in and stay sighted in, plastic peep sight that would not stay on, so loud you thought it was going to shatter when you shot it. There was no season that allowed it and that was a good thing. It would have frustrated me out of the sport if I did not have my old Bear along with a Martin target bow to use.

The whole thing about compounds, crossbows, and dedicated archery seasons really are recent history as far as american history goes. I don't know about Texas, but in Oklahoma it was not until 1951 that the first ever whitetail was taken with a bow during a legal hunting season and by a 13 year old kid at that. Not too many years ago the thought of hunting with bows of any kind, vertical, horizontal, compound, were all looked at as cruel and ineffective by many hunters. There are still vocal non hunters, and unfortunately a few hunters that still believe this and would love to see it all taken away from us. If our numbers shrink enough, that will happen.

I have watched the technology for Compounds advance rapidly over time. But during the same years crossbows on the market stayed crappy and mostly the same. Only in recent years has the same technology started to catch up with the crossbow. I think it not just more States allowing them for hunting that is making them popular, but also the technological improvements making both more user friendly. If that gets more new people into hunting, gets experience hunters in the woods more days, more kids and women into the sport, and more money to wildlife departments, I don't see it as a bad thing at all.

Please don't tell Nog that! He has it all figured out. He is right without even trying it!!! bolt

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5201731 07/15/14 03:05 AM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

I see some people saying this and saying that, and I will leave that part at that.

Now, some have said people fought long and hard for an "archery only season," well, were you around when those people that were fighting were the trad hunters, and by golly, don't you dare ask to be a part of the archery only season you bad, bad people shooting compound bows.

If it is legal, do it, and quit discussing things that have happened. These sort of questions are almost like fighting the Civil War all over again.....

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5201736 07/15/14 03:08 AM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Oh, and I currently shoot a crossbow. Been bowhunting since 1976, started with a recurve, moved on to a compound, back to a recurve/compound, and last year I decided since I've harvested deer and pigs with rifle, shotgun, pistol, muzzleloader, compound, and recurve, but never with a spear, knife or crossbow, then I was going the crossbow route.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5201743 07/15/14 03:11 AM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I have hunted with a bow for over 35 years. I have shot a crossbow. You pick it up, you aim, you pull the trigger. No experience needed-that's why disabled folks, kids and first time hunters use them. It's a stupid argument.

Which recurve, or longbow, are you currently hunting with? Because I know from reading some of your comments, it dang sure ain't that ole nasty compound!

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: DFWPI] #5201744 07/15/14 03:12 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: DFWPI
I have hunted with a bow for over 35 years. I have shot a crossbow. You pick it up, you aim, you pull the trigger. No experience needed-that's why disabled folks, kids and first time hunters use them. It's a stupid argument.

Which recurve, or longbow, are you currently hunting with? Because I know from reading some of your comments, it dang sure ain't that ole nasty compound!

It would be that nasty old .270 bolt

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5201757 07/15/14 03:22 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5201866 07/15/14 08:00 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Now that's interesting. I wouldn't mind shooting that.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5201938 07/15/14 12:09 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5201980 07/15/14 12:49 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
If it's legal, I don't have a problem with it.

The most difficult aspect of bowhunting to me is getting the deer in close. If you're in a relatively low tree, there's some skill involved with timing your movements vs when the deer isn't looking, but if you're in a blind or tall tree, they still don't see you, so whether it's pull a crossbow trigger or drawing back and releasing your arrow, whatever. You got the deer within 30 or so yards, good job.

And obviously it helps out disabled hunters and kids, which is nothing but a plus in my book.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5201995 07/15/14 01:00 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I'm a "whatever suits your fancy" sorta person!

The only thing I've seen that burns me is when people don't do a good job of "looking" for something they took a shot at (with anything) and just automatically say...."I think I missed" and let it go at that.

If you're gonna use it, then practice with it and make a dedicated effort to find what ever you shoot at!

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5202009 07/15/14 01:13 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Here is my opinion:
Xbows have the ability to lock in full draw, have a trigger and most have a scope. To me, that is an advantage over a compound or traditional bow. I feel that folks with an upper extremity disability and kids should be able to use them during archery season and anyone can use them during general season. What kills me the most are the folks running around shooting xbows and calling themselves bowhunters. I know a few that hunt archery season around here with a xbow and they think they are Michael Waddell. They are not...they are crossbow hunters. I exclusivly bowhunt. I dont use a xgun nor do I use a rifle.

With all of this being said, TX allows them during archery season and I tend to be a law abiding citizen and if it is legal then I am ok with it. I agree with many others as they have stated whatever it takes to get another hunter in the woods. I will buy my kiddos a xbow once I feel that they are old enough to shoot one in order to get them in the woods a little earlier and once they get old enough I will encourage them to start shooting a compound.

I am tossing the idea of switching over to traditional at this point in my life.

Last edited by FoxTrot; 07/15/14 01:14 PM.

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5202122 07/15/14 02:24 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The good news is that while these debates can get rather heated at times, they make all of us aware of those issues that most often divide us. And while some could care less, I feel most of us recognize the harm that division brings to our sport.

Case in point. The need to bring more people into the sport was first used to justify the need to create a separate archery season. That same point carries equal merit when considering the decision to all those who prefer to use a crossbow. It's good for the sport to call out those out who somehow forget their earlier stance when it means creating competition for additional hunters.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: Big Kid X21] #5202499 07/15/14 07:00 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Big Kid X21
No offense hook n line, but balloon targets and live critters are worlds different. That balloon could care less how loud that crossbow is, it isn't going to have any reaction to the noise. As far as being easy to shoot accurately once sighted, I have no doubt they require less "skill" when target shooting than does your compound. But I am speaking from a purely "effective on game" basis. You may send a perfectly fired bolt, but, if the sound of the shot is so startling that the animal has time to react then you could be in trouble with shot placement. I've personally witnessed that on whitetail myself. All that said, I neither advocate for crossbows or diminish their uses. Just in my experience they are not quiet fast enough to overcome how noisy they are in respect to whitetail deer, especially at ranges beyond 40 yards. In windy situations with the animal upwind of your location I would assume the effect of the noise would be less apparent. But on a cool crisp fall morning when the deer can seemingly hear you blink your eyes........aim low, certainly if the deer is beyond 20 yards.

None taken. I've been hunting for 30+ years and bowhunting for 20 and can say I've seen a lot of things go wrong while bowhunting. I guess we've just been lucky thus far with the crossbow, we've had the oppurtunity to drop 7 hogs since I got it longest shot being 28 yrds (daughter). No deer yet but let a few pass . I can say though, I didn't expect my 11 year old to be able to do with a crossbow what he doesn't with a rifle. He prefers the crossbow to any other tool in the cabinet. I believe it's all about his confidence level. My daughter on the other hand can pick up anything and look like a pro. She has nerves of steel until after the shot, then she falls to pieces. lol... I love it!

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: hook_n_line] #5202675 07/15/14 09:25 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
Originally Posted By: Big Kid X21
No offense hook n line, but balloon targets and live critters are worlds different. That balloon could care less how loud that crossbow is, it isn't going to have any reaction to the noise. As far as being easy to shoot accurately once sighted, I have no doubt they require less "skill" when target shooting than does your compound. But I am speaking from a purely "effective on game" basis. You may send a perfectly fired bolt, but, if the sound of the shot is so startling that the animal has time to react then you could be in trouble with shot placement. I've personally witnessed that on whitetail myself. All that said, I neither advocate for crossbows or diminish their uses. Just in my experience they are not quiet fast enough to overcome how noisy they are in respect to whitetail deer, especially at ranges beyond 40 yards. In windy situations with the animal upwind of your location I would assume the effect of the noise would be less apparent. But on a cool crisp fall morning when the deer can seemingly hear you blink your eyes........aim low, certainly if the deer is beyond 20 yards.

None taken. I've been hunting for 30+ years and bowhunting for 20 and can say I've seen a lot of things go wrong while bowhunting. I guess we've just been lucky thus far with the crossbow, we've had the oppurtunity to drop 7 hogs since I got it longest shot being 28 yrds (daughter). No deer yet but let a few pass . I can say though, I didn't expect my 11 year old to be able to do with a crossbow what he doesn't with a rifle. He prefers the crossbow to any other tool in the cabinet. I believe it's all about his confidence level. My daughter on the other hand can pick up anything and look like a pro. She has nerves of steel until after the shot, then she falls to pieces. lol... I love it!

IMO, an honest sportsman puts the animal first by using a method that is more likely to create an ethical kill, rather than trying to overcome too great a challenge. It would seem that starting with a crossbow would be a step in that direction, with some possibly seeing no need to ever use a compound. Albeit a bow or rifle, good ethics means using only what "will" create that ethical kill, rather than what "may" work.

If a hunter buys a license, obeys bag limits, and uses a legal means with some measure of free chase available to the animal, why judge him for his choice of bow or firearm so long as he is good at hitting the target?

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: redchevy] #5202700 07/15/14 09:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Im not trying to toot my own horn at all, but I got a compound bow for Christmas one year went and got a target set of the cheapest carbon arrows I could find cheapest field points I could find and a $9 release from academy. My first group was the size of a tennis ball at 20 yards and only about 6 inches off the bullseye without even being tuned. I adjusted the site and took it to a bow shop and had it tuned... bam that was it. There is no "experience" needed to me other than a steady hand and knowing where to shoot and how to blood trail. The only differences to me between compound bow and x-bow are physical.

I still think if you want to challenge yourself then challenge yourself right along with all the other hunters in the woods, why do you need a special season all to yourself to challenge yourself? I bow hunt because its fun. Most of the time I don't even get around to it till regular season because it is so crazy hot. People want to challenge themselves so much that they get to start early before everyone else???? sounds remotely like hi-fence hunting to me.

Have you taken many animals with your bow?

I'm not mad at crossbow hunters. Crossbow hunting is fine.
But it is not the challenge of bowhunting. Period. So I'll be da@*ed if I am gong to say it is just to make some feel better about themselves.
And the bow seasons all across the country were pushed for by bowhunters who did not aim to take anything away from gun hunters so they asked for them to be separate and in addition to the gun season. Now, I see many wanting to take that away by essentially just making it a part of the general season. It starts with crossbows, then adds muzzleloaders, and then rifles. MLD has already encroached into October.End result? No separate bow season.
And, as a 35 year bowhunter who loves the separate October season, I think it sucks.
Finally, I note the irony of folks wanting to horn in on what has always been bow-only season- fought for and established by bowhunters-calling bowhunters selfish. Sounds like a bunch of you-know-whats to me. Again, is three months not enough? Do you just have to have more?

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 07/15/14 09:45 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5202704 07/15/14 09:52 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Bottom line is: if it's so darn easy, buy a bow and get after it. No all-weapons season in October needed.

The very fact some want to encroach on the bowhunting season shows it's not as easy-or they wouldn't feel the need to do so.

I don't like arguing with other hunters either-but I'm not going to act like all challenges in hunting are the same just to appease those who have an entitlement mentality.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 07/15/14 09:57 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5202725 07/15/14 10:06 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Most guys that have hunted with xbows and vertical bows will tell you that an xbow isnt an advantage over a vertical bow over all. They both have their pros and cons. I have used both and choose to stay with my compound. I find for myself that it is over all an easier weapon to practice/hunt with. Most of the guys that cry about xbows being an advantage have never used one and dont have a clue what they are talking about. They just think that they are somehow superior to someone that uses a xbow which is absolutely moronic. Xbow hunters are just as much a bowhunter as someone that uses a compound. Compounds have sights(scopes included), are just as fast, quieter and can be locked at full draw. I just dont see why people are so narrow minded in thinking they are better because their bow is vertical instead of horizontal. They are both BOWS and the people that use them are BOWHUNTERS period!!!

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: BOONER] #5202731 07/15/14 10:11 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOONER
Most guys that have hunted with xbows and vertical bows will tell you that an xbow isnt an advantage over a vertical bow over all. They both have their pros and cons. I have used both and choose to stay with my compound. I find for myself that it is over all an easier weapon to practice/hunt with. Most of the guys that cry about xbows being an advantage have never used one and dont have a clue what they are talking about. They just think that they are somehow superior to someone that uses a xbow which is absolutely moronic. Xbow hunters are just as much a bowhunter as someone that uses a compound. Compounds have sights(scopes included), are just as fast, quieter and can be locked at full draw. I just dont see why people are so narrow minded in thinking they are better because their bow is vertical instead of horizontal. They are both BOWS and the people that use them are BOWHUNTERS period!!!

Well, you are wrong. The reason every Tom, Dick, and Harry bought crossbows when they became legal to use during bow season is because they are easy for anyone to use. Period.

That's why P&Y doesn't allow animals taken by crossbow to be considered. And I have never seen any bowhunter use a draw lock device. P&Y doesn't allow them either.

The "no experience" argument is wrong too. If you can shoot a .22, you can shoot a crossbow accurately. Just aim and squeeze the trigger. Most of them even have scopes. Real hard. rolleyes

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 07/15/14 10:19 PM.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5202800 07/15/14 10:58 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: BOONER

Well, you are wrong. The reason every Tom, Dick, and Harry bought crossbows when they became legal to use during bow season is because they are easy for anyone to use. Period.

That's why P&Y doesn't allow animals taken by crossbow to be considered. And I have never seen any bowhunter use a draw lock device. P&Y doesn't allow them either.

The "no experience" argument is wrong too. If you can shoot a .22, you can shoot a crossbow accurately. Just aim and squeeze the trigger. Most of them even have scopes. Real hard. rolleyes

Lol. Dang I guess I am wrong if you say so. up I love being proved wrong by someone who has absolutely no clue or experience on what they are talking about.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5202802 07/15/14 11:00 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
And you still havent answered my question on using a naked long bow either? duel

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5202815 07/15/14 11:10 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Crossbows are clearly easier to use.

When kids and disabled adults use them because they can't use compounds, there's a reason.

Again, I'm all for it and don't care. But don't pretend they're similarly difficult to use. That's false.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide