Forums46
Topics540,355
Posts9,761,959
Members87,221
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: ducknbass] #5175856 06/27/14 03:15 AM
N
Nolan Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Here is my final thought for you. If this is your first elk hunt think about NOT going backpack. Camp next to your truck or ATV and spike in everyday to hunt. You will not get as far away from everyone like you want to but you will get a good feel for what hunting the mountains is like. After one year of staying close to the truck, you will be ready to venture a little farther off the grid.

Here is a little eye candy for you. The last picture is me with a broken knee cap on the first day of an elk hunt, fell crossing a creek. See what I mean about staying close to the truck. Have fun and don't hunt yourself.

Oklahoma NWTF State Board
Field Staff
Black Eagle Arrows
Grim Reaper Broadheads
Owner of Hang 'em High Game Calls
www.nolanoutdoors.com
[Linked Image]

Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: ducknbass] #5175869 06/27/14 03:21 AM
N
Nolan Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Quote:
Just so everyone knows, what was the weight of that pack? And I did not see a tent listed? Does a drop camp have a tent for you already?

IDK, every thing on that trip was carried in on horse back. And the outfitter supplied camp.

Last edited by Nolan Outdoors; 06/27/14 03:21 AM.

Field Staff
Black Eagle Arrows
Grim Reaper Broadheads
www.nolanoutdoors.com
[Linked Image]

Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: ducknbass] #5175876 06/27/14 03:23 AM
N
Nolan Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
The best money you can spend this week is to order yourself a copy of Cameron Hanes book, Backcountry Bowhunting: A Guide to the Wild Side. Read it a couple of times and learn a LOT.

Field Staff
Black Eagle Arrows
Grim Reaper Broadheads
www.nolanoutdoors.com
[Linked Image]

Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: Nolan Outdoors] #5176163 06/27/14 12:43 PM
D
ducknbass Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Nolan Outdoors
I have read these lists and comments and am thinking most of you have never been on a backpack hunt.

Every ounce counts and it adds up fast. If you plan to go in more than a couple of miles and stay more than a couple of nights you should consider a real backpack. Lots to consider and think about when going in with everything on your back. Spend some time on the hiking/backpack websites and you will see what I am talking about. Here is my last list from a drop camp hunt. This does not count food.

lighter
Havlon Knife w/ blades
binoculars
Map
GPS
Range Finder
Diamond Head Lamp 3 AA
Browning flash light 1-123A
Makeup
Heads-up decoy
Hoochie Mama Cow Call
Bugle
cow call
Kuiu Camo Wool Shirts
Core 4 Element Shirt
Firstlite shirt
Natural Gear Fleece Pullover
Underwear
Sitka Camo Pants
firstlite pants
Core 4 element underwear
warm gloves
Hunting Cap
wool socks
Sock Liners
Gaiters
Crocks
rain-gear
Down Vest
stocking cap
pillow
Knife sharpner
Drink mix
toilet Paper
Paper Plates
Paper bowls
License
Wet Wipes
AA Lithium Batteries
AAA Lithium Batteries
123A Lithium Batteries
cr2 lithium battery
Tooth taste
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
Custom Skinner Knife
cloth game bags
Marauder 3 AAA
Water Purification tablets
Water Purification pump
Leatherman
Platypus
Bar soap Dead Down Wind
Antiperspirant Dead Down Wind
hunting boots
trash bags
Bath towel
fire-starting lent/stricker
lens cleaner cloth
toothbrush
first-aid kit

I'm not using a pack mule.

Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: Nolan Outdoors] #5176168 06/27/14 12:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
The best money you can spend this week is to order yourself a copy of Cameron Hanes book, Backcountry Bowhunting: A Guide to the Wild Side. Read it a couple of times and learn a LOT.

Actually a pretty good book. He comes across a little roosterish (word filter). But when you meet him in person, you get it. He just wants you to believe in yourself like he does. He loves bowhunting. He truly lives for it.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: ducknbass] #5176178 06/27/14 12:59 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
He's an animal. He's very driven. I think that's where it comes from, kinda like you said.

When I grow up, I want to be as fit to chase elk as Cameron.

Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: ducknbass] #5176228 06/27/14 01:33 PM
C
cattle69 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Nolan I was with you on most, until you got to the hoochie mama.

[Linked Image]
President and cofounder of magical pellet club.
Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: cattle69] #5176278 06/27/14 01:57 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: cattle69

Do people still use that stupid thing?

Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: Sneaky] #5176301 06/27/14 02:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: cattle69

Do people still use that stupid thing?

Yes, but bugling bulls just came out with a new reed, that fits at front of your mouth(more toward back of your front teeth) I highly suggest it.

As far as easy bite call lonesome elk call by hunterspec.com. is great, I also use it as a varmint call

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: ducknbass] #5176665 06/27/14 06:27 PM
N
Nolan Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Hoocemomma is handy when you cannot breath after running at 11,000 feet.

Field Staff
Black Eagle Arrows
Grim Reaper Broadheads
www.nolanoutdoors.com
[Linked Image]

Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: Nolan Outdoors] #5176686 06/27/14 06:41 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Hoocemomma is handy when you cannot breath after running at 11,000 feet.

It's also pretty handy when you have too many bulls around and you'd like a few to scatter.

Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: ducknbass] #5176777 06/27/14 07:49 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I dont run at 11,000' ! grin

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: ducknbass] #5177377 06/28/14 03:31 AM
C
cattle69 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Personally like carltons single reed fightn cow call and any diaphragms seem to bugle fine to me. I am also going to try a Spires predator single reed call this year and see how it goes either the "skeeter" or "mini skeeter". I guess I now see where Nolan is coming from on being out of wind and hard to blow the call that has happened to me a time or two, but more when trying to bugle than cow call.

Last edited by cattle69; 06/28/14 03:36 AM.

[Linked Image]
President and cofounder of magical pellet club.
Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: ducknbass] #5177401 06/28/14 04:02 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I like Carltons calls as well. I was fortunate to meet Wayne and his son at their business, back before they threw in with hunter specialties in Montrose when we lived close by. His son, taught me how to use their calls back then. I liked the diagram bugle, but hardly ever use a bugle anymore, cow call seems to work for me the best. Bugle was to much work LOL

Bugle sure is good for calling in a hunter though LOL

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: DIY Colorado archery elk hunt any helpful advice welcome [Re: ducknbass] #5177668 06/28/14 02:50 PM
P
Pittstate Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
It seems everyone has just about covered it. I would only add that it seems myself and friends always have way more gear than we need. We end up buying the latest and greatest clothing, but at the end of the day we usually only wear light bdu type pants and a good wicking shirt (merino wool is awesome for this). The rest never gets put on. With that said, I would always have some type of packable bottom/top (puffy) and top/bottom light rain gear. I would spend my most money on the best spotting scope (I love my Vortex Razor HD) because it will save your eyes and less headaches from glassy with cheap glass and the best boots that fit your feet (I would have 2 pair, so you can rotate). Don't ever rely on your guide or buddy having the good glass, I learned my lesson. You will spend more time stopping and glassing than most think. If you are not experienced (or have someone in your party that is) mountain climber/hunter, I would not venture more than 4 hours from the truck/camp. A storm can come in a heart beat and they aren't those weak azz ones from the Midwest/south...they are violent! Nothing wrong with setting up camp 4 hours from the truck and staying within 4 hours of the camp. That should get in you deep enough to find them, especially during the archery season. My favorite unit for OTC archery is 47.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide