Re: youth hunt month october [Re: DeeCee] #502020 12/12/08 06:03 AM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Quote:

TX only lets them go 2. JMO

Wrong, there is currently a youth weekend in october before rifle season opens and one in january after rifle season closes, the original proposal this year was to add 5 days in october and 12 days in january, then they changed it to all of october and kept the 12 days in january. The LSBA (sanctioning bowhunt organization in texas), has no problem with the original proposal, but taking all of october is a bit ridiculous, kids have already over 3 months to rifle hunt, october is hot and would likely be used by adults to cheat and shoot deer with their kids tags, and would really hurt in the recruitment of new bowhunters.

Last edited by bossbowman; 12/12/08 06:11 AM.
Re: youth hunt month october [Re: bossbowman] #502021 12/12/08 01:12 PM
D
DeeCee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Quote:

and would likely be used by adults to cheat

A dumb ... whos gonna cheat is gonna cheat no matter what!
Quote:

and would really hurt in the recruitment of new bowhunters.

Again, HOW!!!
If we dont get more kids interested in hunting, there wont be any more HUNTERS, BOW or RIFLE!!!I think (IMO) that all this is about some people thinking this is gonna cause them to see less deer! Should we cut out rifle season in Noverember? Its usually warm too, Lets just not shot any in November so we see more deer in December! STUPID idea right? Well so is thinking kids hunting in October is gonna screw up your hunting!!!!!

Re: youth hunt month october [Re: DeeCee] #502022 12/12/08 10:26 PM
W
wfontjr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
Quote:

How is youth hunting supposed to "wreck" bow season?!?!?!? Who said all youths hunt with a gun???? And your also forgeting to add that out of those 61 days of November and December that the kids will be sitting in school for 32 of those days, give or take depending on school schedules each year! Add in missed days on the weekends for football, soccer, etc. especially if its peewee!! You can take away another 12 days there! You have eraesd 44 of those 64 days you talked about. then you add in days you can't take them because of work and stuff, they are kids, birthday parties, other school functions! That leaves very few opportunities to spend time affield with them and enjoy it! I understand that many of are against it, but think about it from the stand point of teaching future hunters and keeping our tradition alive! Dont discourage them, lets increase interest! We need all the help fighting the antis we can get, not creating conflict amongst ourselves!

sorry, sometimes you got to pick and choose what you do, there are 65 days available now, adding another 28 days is not going to help, just because it seems to be politically correct does not mean i have to agree, i tired of hearing the anti agrument, i do not have to swallow every change cause i do not want to agrue with a fellow hunter, i am not trying to discourage anyone, make time to be with your kids, i did, i did not rifle hunt for 4 years waiting for my son to get his deer each year, you have enough oppurnties now without again "wrecking" bow season,

Re: youth hunt month october [Re: wfontjr] #502023 12/13/08 12:02 AM
D
DeeCee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Quote:

make time to be with your kids

I beleive I do!!!!!! Didn't you read the part about football, soccer, birthday parties, other school functions!!!! I am gonna ask this question for the THIRD time, somebody please answer me!?!?!?!? Hows an extende3d youth season gonna wreck your bow season???

Quote:

i do not want to agrue with a fellow hunter

Brother, I'm not arguing, absolutly no hard feelings! Just discussing!!

Re: youth hunt month october [Re: DeeCee] #502024 12/14/08 06:07 PM
W
wfontjr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
sorry, was gone for a few days, took my son hunting

if you pick parties and games over hunting thats your business, again its your preference

by wrecking bow season,
1: increased pressure on the deer, rifle shots, four wheeler traffic, scent etc. one of the few times you can go to the woods to hunt without hearing some fool practice shoot 50 rounds during prime time, the deer are somewhat more relaxed before the fools come out,

2: if a father has to pick between bow hunting and sitting with his son on a youth hunt most of us will pick sitting with our son, therefore less bow hunter participation

3: in general most kids will pick a rifle to hunt with rather than a bow during an october youth hunt, therefore less youth exposed to bow hunting at an early age, as proved in many studies if you do not start at an early age you more than likely never will

4: bow hunters in years past fought hard to get an October bow season, separate and prior to rifle season, i see no good reason to give it up

Last edited by wfontjr; 12/14/08 06:12 PM.
Re: youth hunt month october [Re: wfontjr] #502025 12/15/08 05:01 PM
D
DeeCee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
How many kids hunt on your lease?
I agree about about the A...... wainting until the last minute to sight i n his rifle, BUT that has nothing to do with this issue.
Any father who limits his kids activities is doing them a great injustice, how could anyone say "pick hunting or sports, you cant have it all" I think thats makes the parent who does this selfish!!! PERIOD!!!!
"deer are somewhat more relaxed before the fools come out"
Your words from number one above!! Now our kids are fools???
Thank you Sir!! You have enlightened me!!!

Last edited by DeeCee; 12/15/08 05:06 PM.
Re: youth hunt month october [Re: wfontjr] #502026 12/15/08 05:22 PM
H
Huntalot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Quote:

sorry, was gone for a few days, took my son hunting

if you pick parties and games over hunting thats your business, again its your preference

by wrecking bow season,
1: increased pressure on the deer, rifle shots, four wheeler traffic, scent etc. one of the few times you can go to the woods to hunt without hearing some fool practice shoot 50 rounds during prime time, the deer are somewhat more relaxed before the fools come out,

2: if a father has to pick between bow hunting and sitting with his son on a youth hunt most of us will pick sitting with our son, therefore less bow hunter participation

3: in general most kids will pick a rifle to hunt with rather than a bow during an october youth hunt, therefore less youth exposed to bow hunting at an early age, as proved in many studies if you do not start at an early age you more than likely never will

4: bow hunters in years past fought hard to get an October bow season, separate and prior to rifle season, i see no good reason to give it up

To each his own... However, my rebuttal is simple. I have a 13 year old daughter who is VERY involved with sports and friends. She has killed a deer for each of the last 4 years. Right now, she is in a season of life that is very busy between homework, friends and sports. Any extra day that can take advantage of to take her to the woods is a bonus for me. She enjoys hunting, but balancing it can be very difficult. An extra "empty" Saturday to preserve the hunting heritage in my family would be fantastic.

If you are concerned about it at your lease, I can guarantee you that 99.9% of kids can't go except for Sat & Sun in Oct. Most of those kids don't want to go more than 1 time. That is not going to ruin the deer woods.

Some of you guys need to think about your thoughts to the youngsters or our sport will eventually die.

Huntalot

Re: youth hunt month october [Re: DeeCee] #502027 12/16/08 12:00 AM
W
wfontjr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
Quote:

How many kids hunt on your lease?
I agree about about the A...... wainting until the last minute to sight i n his rifle, BUT that has nothing to do with this issue.
Any father who limits his kids activities is doing them a great injustice, how could anyone say "pick hunting or sports, you cant have it all" I think thats makes the parent who does this selfish!!! PERIOD!!!!
"deer are somewhat more relaxed before the fools come out"
Your words from number one above!! Now our kids are fools???
Thank you Sir!! You have enlightened me!!!

you are taking quotes out of context, never called any kid any name, never said limit what your kids do

you can not do everything, its impossible, you have to pick and chose what you feel is best, school work, grades come first, everything else second, if your kids prefer sports and parties over hunting adding 100 more days is not likely to increase their partcipation, i guess im selfish, i have told my son from day one he has a choice, hunting or other hobbies, i do not limit him, he decides what he wants to do, how about we open the season for 365 days for youth hunting

second the fool comment was not aimed at kids, its just a fact, when the rifles come out and more people hit the woods there is a certain percentage of "fools" or whatever else you wish to call them, the ones who leave beer cans, feed sacks on their 4 wheelers to blow out, the ones who decide on opening morning 8am to shoot for over two hours on the next lease over, the ones who decide to start a four wheeler race track during prime time, its a free country and i do not pay their lease fees, but bow season does not need to be again "wrecked"

my son, two nephews and a neice hunt with me on my land and lease on a regualar basis, ages 12-16, each of the youth weekends i try to get other kids to come and hunt, co workers, friends, family

Re: youth hunt month october [Re: Huntalot] #502028 12/16/08 12:06 AM
W
wfontjr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
Quote:

Quote:

Some of you guys need to think about your thoughts to the youngsters or our sport will eventually die.
Huntalot

did you actually read my post or just jump to conclusions, each one was pro "kid". increased participation, just with a bow instead of a rifle, just because i believe we do not need additional youth rifle hunting days, no where in my post are there anti kid commentary

Re: youth hunt month october [Re: wfontjr] #502029 12/16/08 04:01 AM
H
Huntalot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H

Didn't say you were anti-kid. The world is different than it used to be. Too much competition for kid's time. Make it easy for them to fall in love with hunting. More days do that.

Your bow idea is nice but not realistic for most kids who don't have time to put in to bow hunt or practice (in my opinion).

Re: youth hunt month october [Re: Huntalot] #502030 12/16/08 12:14 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Speaking for myself here. I'm a Grandfather. I am not a decision maker on whether the kid(s) play sports, go to parties or to Six Flags. If the kid does play sports, I think it is important for them to understand the responsibility of being on a team.

I would like to see some kind of extension of kids only hunting weekends. There is some kind of assumption that the kid(s) are available for that one special weekend in October. Due to split custody weekends by/for divorced parents, the kids aren't always available at that time to the person that would take them into the woods. Nor is it always possible to get them for the other weekends needed to build confidence with a firearm.

Bowhunt? Not many kids have the strength to draw and hold well enough to make a killing shot. The last thing that I want to see is a kid wounding and losing a deer.

Admittedly, I'm not a bow hunter and don't allow it on my land. I see no problem with making the weekend before the regular kids weekend a shared weekend with the bow hunters. The stick and string crowd would lose a weekend of having exclusive hunting rights. Since an awful lot of bow hunters are also rifle hunters, they wouldn't be losing much. However, they would be sharing a whole lot.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: youth hunt month october [Re: wfontjr] #502031 12/16/08 01:19 PM
D
DeeCee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I can agree and relate to alot of what you say! Trash and disrespectful folks are uncalled for!!! However, one thing you say confuses me..............
Quote:

i have told my son from day one he has a choice, hunting or other hobbies, i do not limit him

Thats a limit!!! Ain't no misquote!!! I don't care who you are or how you read it!!! That is limiting what he's allowed to do!!! If it works for ya'll, thats great, I'm happy for ya!!! I just want to give my kids EVERY available opportunity to become more diversified!!! Life ain't one tracked, look at almost any successful person, multitasking is a common trait!

Re: youth hunt month october [Re: DeeCee] #502032 12/16/08 11:25 PM
W
wfontjr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
almost all kids can pull back a 40 lb modern compound bow in a very short time, my son is 15 slight of build, for the past 3 years has shot with no problems, i do not let him take shots outside of 10 yards, bowhunters are all ready sharing one weekend with youth hunters which i have no problem with

here is a better idea solves everyones problem, make the first three weeks of rifle season youth hunting only, you can not hunt unless you have a kid with you (humor intended)

Last edited by wfontjr; 12/16/08 11:28 PM.
Re: youth hunt month october [Re: DeeCee] #502033 12/17/08 12:00 AM
T
tkuehn5410 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I am not sure if some people realize they can take their children hunting during general season as well. They already get a couple extra weekends to hunt, so i am not sure if the results of the program will give the youth much more time to be in the woods than the general season.

Re: youth hunt month october [Re: 10pointers] #502034 12/20/08 04:56 PM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I really don't have a problem with it, a well trained and supervised youngster is no more likely to wound a deer than anyone else in my opinion and probably less likely to do so then some of the hooched up adult hunters that hit the woods on a daily basis.
I've killed my share of deer over the years and it's much more important to me to see that the youngsters are successful now days.
With school and youth sports most youngsters won't get to spend all that much more time in the woods anyway.

+1

+1, it is unfair to blame wounded deer on young hunters just because of their age. My son is 12 and can shoot as good if not better than me and almost anyone on this forum. Let them hunt all they can, plant the seed and let it grow deep and strong. We had our time, now give them theirs. Quit being selfish.

+1

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide