Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: quail lease question [Re: SingleShot85] #4995832 02/27/14 04:17 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Killing two birds with a semi is less tasteful than shooting two birds with an o/u? odd.

Quote:
It's a matter of decorum.

Re: quail lease question [Re: changedmyname] #4995913 02/27/14 04:43 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
Killing two birds with a semi is less tasteful than shooting two birds with an o/u? odd.

Quote:
It's a matter of decorum.

I can assure you that typically you will not kill over two birds with a two barrel shotgun. I promise you that us old time bird hunters can wipe a covey out with a semi-automatic loaded to the gills with 5 shots.

Re: quail lease question [Re: SingleShot85] #4995926 02/27/14 04:48 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I agree you could but if you don't trust someone to not shoot two birds per covey you shouldn't lease to that person regardless of the type of shotgun. A untrustworthy person using a sxs could just as easy chase the same covey around a few times.
My two cents, have fun.

Re: quail lease question [Re: SingleShot85] #4995931 02/27/14 04:52 PM
T
txdogman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Chris, your still young, you'll change your mind. Time will change your thinking. It isn't less tasteful to shoot quail using a semi or pump gun.
Remember quail hunting is a gentleman's sport for two shooters, if more than two you rotate, never more than two guns on the line. Thats just the way you do it. On your honor. You hunt a brace of dogs that should be a team and honor one another plus you use a double gun, preferably a SxS, small gauge.
No other reason other than tradition, thats the right way to hunt quail.

I can make 'em go! and I can make 'em whoa!
God makes 'em DO!
I carry the gun and blow the whistle.
Re: quail lease question [Re: txdogman] #4996034 02/27/14 05:24 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: txdogman
Chris, your still young, you'll change your mind. Time will change your thinking. It isn't less tasteful to shoot quail using a semi or pump gun.
Remember quail hunting is a gentleman's sport for two shooters, if more than two you rotate, never more than two guns on the line. Thats just the way you do it. On your honor. You hunt a brace of dogs that should be a team and honor one another plus you use a double gun, preferably a SxS, small gauge.

Plus he needs to quit sassing his elders.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: quail lease question [Re: txdogman] #4996066 02/27/14 05:45 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

I'm definitely ok with tradition and if that is the way it is I'm all for it. I didn't grow up quail hunting and would love to hunt with any of you. I just didn't understand how the type of shotgun had anything to do with managing quail which is why I asked my first question at which time I got a counting lesson for an answer like I'm 3 years old.
I think I made my point though that if you are trustworthy you will abide by the 2 bird rule regardless of shotgun type.

Re: quail lease question [Re: bill oxner] #4996072 02/27/14 05:49 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Plus he needs to quit sassing his elders.

Because you're my elder all I'm going to respond here is that your comment is out of line.

Re: quail lease question [Re: txdogman] #4996086 02/27/14 05:54 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

roflmao

just reminded me why I cant stand quail hunting anymore

Re: quail lease question [Re: Navasot] #4996175 02/27/14 06:30 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Navasot

roflmao

You're required to pick up your hulls on most quail leases these days. You can't watch your dog, downed birds, and look for hulls on the ground at the same time. The hulls should come out into your hands.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: quail lease question [Re: bill oxner] #4996199 02/27/14 06:36 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

roflmao

You're required to pick up your hulls on most quail leases these days. You can't watch your dog, downed birds, and look for hulls on the ground at the same time. The hulls should come out into your hands.

Shoot once and don't eject if its that big of a deal... iv never had trouble finding hulls... but I do agree bill hulls need to be picked up.... its not the reasoning why they use it... its the mentality of im a big bad quail hunter and your young so you suck.. I have a dog go get all my birds but the guy that goes and kicks a bush shoots a bird then picks it up his self is doing it wrong... I always liked quail hunting the way my old man, and his dad did before but then actually went hunting with a "real" quail guy and had no want left in me to ever do it again... not focused to all since I have hunted with a few that arnt so up tight about it... but it really reminds me of a bass fisherman peep

Re: quail lease question [Re: SingleShot85] #4996208 02/27/14 06:40 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
That may have came off a bit harsh...lol my bad

Re: quail lease question [Re: SingleShot85] #4996236 02/27/14 06:51 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Trust me Navasot, you would have a blast Quail hunting with us. Ask East, he came up to Oklahoma & hunted with us this past season, we didn't get into alot of birds when he was there, but we had a great time. Not all of us are as uptight as you are seeing here.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: quail lease question [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #4996258 02/27/14 06:57 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Trust me Navasot, you would have a blast Quail hunting with us. Ask East, he came up to Oklahoma & hunted with us this past season, we didn't get into alot of birds when he was there, but we had a great time. Not all of us are as uptight as you are seeing here.

I believe you he told me it was a good time... like I said its not focused to all and I don't do it enough to have a say anyway... just remember running though blue quail hill in Del Rio walking for miles kicking up birds myself and shooting them with a 4-10 pump... loved it

Re: quail lease question [Re: SingleShot85] #4996406 02/27/14 08:03 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Same way I got hooked but mine was Bobwhites with a 20 ga. pump. in San Saba County. Then Dad's boss gave him a 7 year old Brittany and the rest is history.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: quail lease question [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #4997467 02/28/14 04:59 AM
1971snipe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Interesting thread. The lease I'm on now is ~1000 acres in Karnes County; and there's 3 of us, all old guys, all 3 good friends, and I'm the youngest at 61. We baby the quail, and so does the land owner. I think I personally bagged 5 birds there this past season, and had a great time with the dog. (I also bagged several limits of doves.) It's been dry as a bone there; hope they get some rain this spring.

Years ago I was on a 750 acre lease near Benavides, in Duval County. There were 2 of us ... me and my bro. in-law. No dogs on that place. We walked up many-a blue quail thru the cactus, and I carried a thorn in my knee for 15 years before it finally worked its' way out ... and yes, I wore chaps. I think a 3rd and 4th or even a 5th guy on that place wouldn't have made any difference. Sometimes I still miss that lease.

Re: quail lease question [Re: SingleShot85] #4997531 02/28/14 06:22 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Not sure I will ever get on a Quail lease. Usually too many unwritten rules and too political if there are many hunters. I love watching the dog work, but I also like to shoot things. I really did not hunt much this year, but I still hunted Quail on a half dozen different public land areas and killed a whole lot more that 5 birds this season. Once this year I did take 3 birds from a single covey and was encouraged to shoot more by the on site biologist who was helping me, but I do try to limit myself to two. One area I got access to a new area opened up on a refuge not known for quail hunting and limited myself to one per. Sometimes I use an over under and sometimes a 20GA SxS. If there are blues it most likely going to be an Auto 5 without a plug. The same auto 5 that my grandfather hunted Bobs with over his pointers in some of the same areas I hunted quail at this year. My favorite gun of choice for Bobwhites is going to be a Smith and Wesson 1000. On public land I may not pick up all my hulls, but I always come out with several more picked up empty hulls in my vest than shots I took. If I am the guest I of course stay with the bird of the day and don't shoot much, but if it is my hunt, most Texas Quail purists will not or would not want to hunt with me as my versatile dog and I might take rabbits, squirrels, dove, pheasant, snipe, rails, and ducks during quail hunts if they are in season and present. I saw very little hunting pressure on the areas I hunted this year. There was one exception as Flush was filming during the same day on one area I hunted, but I never saw them. I think a lot of hunters assume the public Quail are no longer in huntable numbers and have stopped even trying to hunt them in many areas. The birds may never be in the numbers of long ago, but for the public areas that still have some birds, the population cycles continue up and down and provide some good years and good hunts for those willing to get out, travel, and put the boots and paws on the ground to find those areas each year. For the cost of a Quail lease, I can buy an awful lot of diesel to get to those areas too. Turn your noses if you want and don't get me wrong; I do respect the Texas quail dog purist, but know that I am having the time of my life as a meat hunter.

Re: quail lease question [Re: Navasot] #4997536 02/28/14 06:40 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B

roflmao

Shoot once and don't eject if its that big of a deal... iv never had trouble finding hulls... but I do agree bill hulls need to be picked up.... its not the reasoning why they use it... its the mentality of im a big bad quail hunter and your young so you suck.. I have a dog go get all my birds but the guy that goes and kicks a bush shoots a bird then picks it up his self is doing it wrong... I always liked quail hunting the way my old man, and his dad did before but then actually went hunting with a "real" quail guy and had no want left in me to ever do it again... not focused to all since I have hunted with a few that arnt so up tight about it... but it really reminds me of a bass fisherman peep

I'm with you. There's way too much "hoity toity" coming across in a lot of these posts. The good old "my way or the highway" or "I'm better than you because my way is superior" seems to be very prevalent. Personally I have several OU's and SxS's that I use for sporting clays, including a Cesar Guerinni and a Blaser. Guess what my exclusive quail gun is - a 1947 Belgium Browning A5. Talk about tradition!!! It has more quail hunting tradition behind it that all the OU's and SxS's put together. Somehow I seem to be able to load only 2 shells or only take 2 only birds out of a covey anytime I want without a problem. Imagine that!!! And - yes I'm an old guy too, so I will feel free to Sass these "better that you" elders any time I want.

Re: quail lease question [Re: SingleShot85] #4997642 02/28/14 01:14 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
PM's headed ya'll way thanks for the input

kt

You never did reply online about a camp house. We got a little off track, but let's get back to your lease.

[Linked Image]

Re: quail lease question [Re: SingleShot85] #4997684 02/28/14 01:43 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I guess I'm not a stickler. When my shoulder is bothering me I carry my auto. Its a lot lighter gun, and I can stay in the field longer.
I get to do some hunting on a friends private land, so I'm respectful of the property and the amount of birds I take from a covey.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: quail lease question [Re: SingleShot85] #4997789 02/28/14 02:32 PM
A
arandy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
I have a nice Beretta 20 o/u, which kicks more than my torn rotator cuff likes, that I carry when hunting where a breech gun is mandatory or if my shooting needs a handicap. I carry my 1959 Model 58 Sportsman 20, which fits me like a glove and don't kick much at all if at all possible. The old 58 only holds three shells but one is all I usually need so there are not many hulls to look for when the fun is over. If somebody wants to look down their nose at me over my gun, oh well, just as long as they don't make fun of my shooting. wink

Re: quail lease question [Re: bluesman] #4997898 02/28/14 03:42 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
When every spare minute of your time outside of your job involves restoration of quail and development of birddogs, you can call me "hoity toity" if you like. I could give two hoots about what gun you use, but I chose to tell you what I use and why. We are definitely blogging about the wrong end of the bird hunting spectrum when all we are talking about is killing quail anyway. Quail hunting is about the dog....Period. Here is my order of priority about quail hunting.

1. Development of young dogs
2. Enjoying a well-trained dog.
3. Research and restoration of wild quail.
4. Sharing the entire experience with family and friends.

99. Shotguns and killing quail.

Don't get me wrong. I love to shoot as much as the next hunter. It is just not the priority anymore in these lean quail years. If my passion for the sport, conservation methods and bringing back the bob white make me the so-called purist, hoity toity, gentleman bird hunter, so be it. I can live with it. I am just trying to make a difference. Tell me what you are doing.

Re: quail lease question [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #4997922 02/28/14 03:59 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
When every spare minute of your time outside of your job involves restoration of quail and development of birddogs, you can call me "hoity toity" if you like. I could give two hoots about what gun you use, but I chose to tell you what I use and why. We are definitely blogging about the wrong end of the bird hunting spectrum when all we are talking about is killing quail anyway. Quail hunting is about the dog....Period. Here is my order of priority about quail hunting.

1. I have the disease.
1a. Development of young dogs

Don't get me wrong. I love to shoot as much as the next hunter. It is just not the priority anymore in these lean quail years. If my passion for the sport, conservation methods and bringing back the bob white make me the so-called purist, hoity toity, gentleman bird hunter, so be it. I can live with it. I am just trying to make a difference. Tell me what you are doing.

There. I fixed it for you.

[Linked Image]

Re: quail lease question [Re: bill oxner] #4997945 02/28/14 04:13 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
For sure Bill. Both of us are bad sick with it.

Re: quail lease question [Re: SingleShot85] #4997971 02/28/14 04:27 PM
S
super Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I apologize for not staying on thread but it also bothers me that people on the computer are so quick to jump on the young, inexperienced, or just not knowledgeable about a subject, for asking a simple question. I understand that sometimes people ask questions that just don't seem right but some people are to quick to respond with demeaning answers. Its a shame that some of these people with all this knowledge don't try more of an educational / teaching approach. I think this would help slow down the declining numbers of young hunters. How do you learn if you cannot ask questions with out getting ridiculed. I'm not against them but how traditional are e-collars, gps tracking, and atv/mules in the field?

Jason
Re: quail lease question [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #4998232 02/28/14 06:30 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

1. Development of young dogs

How funny. Sir, the "hoity toity" isn't in your definition of gun. It's in your willingness to tell others that YOU are the one who gets to decide what quail hunting is for us all. Incredible.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide