Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mr.Robo [Re: Rodngun] #5001435 03/03/14 12:37 AM
J
Jbrad Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I personally don't use mojos because I don't think they are a big enough advantage to justify carrying the extra weight. I do use a jerk line anytime the wind is slack. I have hunted in Washington State and New Zealand where they used pull string spinners. They use them because motorized decoys are banned. Point is making motorized decoys illegal won't stop people from using other types of motion decoys.

Re: Mr.Robo [Re: Jbrad] #5001656 03/03/14 02:39 AM
N
No Choke Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I've watched the use of these things since day one. The 3rd year after watching "my ducks" veer off to another spread a few hundred yards away to other hunters finally convinced me to buy a couple. Old school mentality succumbed to...."I gotta have one of those things!" I've gone through about a dozen motorized types, and still have 3 working ones in the garage. Some have sounded like old pump-jacks but the bird never seemed to mind.

I learned that I can't use them here in WA after just moving here about a year ago. They served a purpose whether the switch was turned on or off in the spread while hunting in TX and LA. I'm just tickled that me and my hunting buddies never accidently shot one over the years.

From what I gather there is ongoing debate about motorized decoys every year here in WA Fish & Game. Maybe I need to attend those meetings to figure out the state's justification. Will probably get stopped at the door of the meeting since it takes a Master's degree to figure out the hunting or fishing regs fully around these parts. Sigh...

[Linked Image]
Re: Mr.Robo [Re: Rodngun] #5002558 03/03/14 05:37 PM
R
Rodngun Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Its the same here..just about getting to where we will need a legal aide to interpret the digest book.Wish like hell they would set the rules and then leave them alone.
When I buy my wife's license and mine. Its like sitting on a telephone book..loll
My opionion is that the motorized contraptions are doing in the Juvenile birds...unless someone can convenience me other wise.. I will not ever own one.

Re: Mr.Robo [Re: Rodngun] #5003433 03/04/14 01:02 AM
L
Littledog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
It's very unfortunate when hunting and fishing regulations are based on emotions, attitudes and opinions instead of science.
Texas comes the closest I've seen to getting it right.

If regulations are put in place restricting "how" I hunt with no "game management" justification; there is no end to where it would stop. It becomes very easy at that point for the anti-hunting crowd to inflict their influence and ultimately achieve their goals - regulations so arbitrary and cumbersome that no one wants to hunt.
If motorized decoys are outlawed, why not limit the total number or decoys ? why not outlaw game calls ? maybe your camo pattern is to good and we should all have to wear red shirts and hats ? sending a dog into cold water seems inhumane to some .. lets outlaw that also. Don't start that snow ball rolling.

Since the Robo was invented the population of ducks has gone up, not declined. Nearly every species is above the LTA, some at the highest numbers since data was first collected in 1955.

Please don't promote regulations that prevent others from hunting in a way that's different than you choose to hunt.
If there is a method or tool being used that puts the population at risk, is a safety issue, or threatens non-target species, then a restriction may be justified.
Otherwise, keep to the science of game management.

Last edited by Littledog; 03/04/14 02:36 AM.
Re: Mr.Robo [Re: Littledog] #5003467 03/04/14 01:15 AM
H
hunt91 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: Littledog
It's very unfortunate when hunting and fishing regulations are based on emotions, attitudes and opinions instead of science.
If regulations are put in place restricting "how" I hunt with no "game management" justification; there is no end to where it would stop. It becomes very easy at that point for the anti-hunting crowd to inflict their influence and ultimately achieve their goals - regulations so arbitrary and cumbersome that no one wants to hunt.
If motorized decoys are outlawed, why not limit the total number or decoys ? why not outlaw game calls ? maybe your camo pattern is to good and we should all have to wear red shirts and hats ? sending a dog into cold water seems inhumane to some .. lets outlaw that also. Don't start that snow ball.

Since the Robo was invented the population of ducks has gone up, not declined. Nearly every species is above the LTA, some at the highest numbers since data was first collected in 1955.

Please don't promote regulations that prevent others from hunting the way you choose to hunt.
If there is a method or tool being used that puts the population at risk, is a safety issue, or threatens non-target species, then a restriction may be justified.

Probably the best points made on this topic that I've seen. Well said.

Re: Mr.Robo [Re: Rodngun] #5004048 03/04/14 01:51 PM
R
Rodngun Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
I'm trying to find out if anyone agrees with me that its the juvenile birds that are falling for the robo etc..regulations can be set by the Feds or State and the average Joe is not going to have any say in the matter.

I myself would love to see duck season in Texas be from 2 Sunday of Nov - to 2nd Sunday of Feb.But I know they will never do it.

For what it's worth , we killed 1 bluewing teal the entire season.

I guess when we get put back on the point system then we will understand the effects of a the mechanical contraptions.

Re: Mr.Robo [Re: Rodngun] #5004189 03/04/14 03:07 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Rodngun
I'm trying to find out if anyone agrees with me that its the juvenile birds that are falling for the robo etc..regulations can be set by the Feds or State and the average Joe is not going to have any say in the matter.

I have not seen a large percentage of young birds falling for it. I'd be curious to see what others have to say. But more importantly like was already said regulations are set based on science not on speculation. Since numbers are up even in the age of the spinner there won't be any change restricting its use. If we have big decline in population I'm sure that will be one of the things up for debate whether rightfully so or not. How often have you used them? What percentage of juveniles have you shot over them?

I myself would love to see duck season in Texas be from 2 Sunday of Nov - to 2nd Sunday of Feb.But I know they will never do it.

So would most folks but the framework is set by the feds, the state's hands are tied. It's based on the theory that hunting later in the year has an affect on pair bonding which would have a substantial negative impact on next year's numbers.

If you are talking about early teal it was rough for most folks. The big push didn't show up until after it was over thanks to the late spring last year. During the youth season in late October in North TX and all the way up to the Dakotas they were as thick as you'd normally see in September.

I guess when we get put back on the point system then we will understand the effects of a the mechanical contraptions.

We would understand the effects of spinners before a point system was reintroduced. Counts and conditions are released continually, nothing is gonna be a surprise. Nesting conditions are a much bigger part of the equation compared to the use of spinners.

Re: Mr.Robo [Re: LarryCopper] #5004206 03/04/14 03:16 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
If you are talking about early teal it was rough for most folks. The big push didn't show up until after it was over thanks to the late spring last year. During the youth season in late October in North TX and all the way up to the Dakotas they were as thick as you'd normally see in September.

We hunted in South Dakota for 5 days in Mid-October and more than half of the ducks we killed were blue wing teal.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Mr.Robo [Re: john paul] #5005244 03/05/14 12:36 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I use them when I think they are effective, and worth the trouble. They are not always effective, and normally not worth the trouble to mess with. For you guys that have the old ones, you should throw them in the garbage can and get the new ones with magnetic wings, they are sweet, and when they run it sounds just like a duck hovering over a spread.

I think they are most effective at first light, and also when new birds move into a new area. Juvenile birds decoy easier, whether you are using a mojo or not. But I have seen mojo work on greenheads late season, late morning and blue bird day.

Re: Mr.Robo [Re: Guy] #5005305 03/05/14 01:07 AM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Guy
I use them when I think they are effective, and worth the trouble. They are not always effective, and normally not worth the trouble to mess with. For you guys that have the old ones, you should throw them in the garbage can and get the new ones with magnetic winds, they are sweet, and when they run it sounds just like a duck hovering over a spread.

I think they are most effective at first light, and also when new birds move into a new area. Juvenile birds decoy easier, whether you are using a mojo or not. But I have seen mojo work on greenheads late season, late morning and blue bird day.

My thoughts exactly

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: Mr.Robo [Re: hunt91] #5007081 03/05/14 11:15 PM
D
duckkillah Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: hunt91
Originally Posted By: Littledog
If motorized decoys are outlawed, why not limit the total number or decoys ? why not outlaw game calls ? maybe your camo pattern is to good and we should all have to wear red shirts and hats ? sending a dog into cold water seems inhumane to some .. lets outlaw that also. Don't start that snow ball.

Please don't promote regulations that prevent others from hunting the way you choose to hunt.

Probably the best points made on this topic that I've seen. Well said.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide