Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4893424 01/07/14 03:16 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
If you're trying to implement even a rudimentary management plan then you should consult a biologist. Based off of his recommendations there should be an overall harvest quota. Divide the quota evenly among the paid hunters and then the paid hunters can choose who shoots what from his allotted quota.

In other words, if each hunter is allowed a trophy and cull/management buck and 2 does, then the hunter can decide if he wants to share his quota among friends/family. Just as long as his quota is not exceeded.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4893734 01/07/14 04:43 PM
P
Pope&Young Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: BMD
We use the kids to help with mgt bucks, and if they shoot a trophy then that is your trophy, we don't have guests other than direct family and we don't have a stack of dumb arse rules like most leases it is supposed to be enjoyable. Put a good group together and don't worry about BS, if BS comes up eliminate the problem.

100% agree

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: LandPirate] #4894119 01/07/14 06:49 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
If you're trying to implement even a rudimentary management plan then you should consult a biologist. Based off of his recommendations there should be an overall harvest quota. Divide the quota evenly among the paid hunters and then the paid hunters can choose who shoots what from his allotted quota.

In other words, if each hunter is allowed a trophy and cull/management buck and 2 does, then the hunter can decide if he wants to share his quota among friends/family. Just as long as his quota is not exceeded.

agreed

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4894135 01/07/14 06:54 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
We use the kids to help with mgt bucks, and if they shoot a trophy then that is your trophy, we don't have guests other than direct family and we don't have a stack of dumb arse rules like most leases it is supposed to be enjoyable. Put a good group together and don't worry about BS, if BS comes up eliminate the problem.

I feel the exact opposite. Having clear rules/guidelines is what makes the lease enjoyable.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4894295 01/07/14 07:58 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Well, to me it's just a fact of life that on any lease rules are an absolute necessity. Whether they are written or not. If it's not JUST family, might as well write them down so there is no confusion.

First, establish your goals/mindset.
Second, establish the rules for that goal/mindset.

Many good suggestions and considerations on here.

Some of you are clearly just "lording" it over others that you don't need "rules" or "rules" are for idiots because you hunt with such great and like-minded folks. Fact is, you are kidding yourselves. The fact that you do get along so well means exactly that you do have "rules"-they just happen to be unwritten and agreed to by all. Was on 2 leases for over 30 years that operated this way. So your condescension is misplaced. Plus, we got it the first 5 times you posted with no helpful information, only derision.

Bottom line is-with any group there are always rules. Or the endeavor falls apart quickly.

The main goal of any set of rules is to make sure no member(s) have advantages over other member(s) without their consent.The most common example of this I have seen is the member that has 4 kids who could take a pot load of deer vs. other members. Second is non-family guests and what is allowed/not allowed there. Third is who can hunt where. Fourth is what can go on at night. There are many others.

Each lease and its membership is unique so there is no one set of rules that will work for all.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 01/07/14 07:58 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4894338 01/07/14 08:20 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I own my own place now. I have rules. Since I am the owner they don't have to be written but they are rules nonetheless. My place is relatively small (365 acres).

I want only mature bucks taken. My guys know what that is for my place.
No kids until after December 1st. (This rule came about one year when I looked up one weekend and there were 4 wild banshees running around-and none of them were mine. Honestly, I am pretty serious about my hunting and simply like peace and quiet.)
Kids can only take does/hogs/varmints. (I hate this one the worst but on a small place like mine it is either that or no kids at all. I don't charge the 2-3 guys that hunt my place so if they want their kids to get a big buck they can get their own lease.)
No night hunting.
No target shooting during the season.
No ATVs/UTVs/jeeps off the roads unless we are getting a deer.
No one hunts my "good" stand whether I am there or not. (That one is just the way it is because I own the joint.) Other than that we can hunt each other's stands in their absence.
Use good optics and don't shoot button bucks.
Take down/remove all stands and feeders that are not in use/going to be in use soon.

The rules are subject to amendment/addition at any time.

Most of them were just understood before we even started. The kids/roads deals have really been the only ones I have had to deal with directly.

The thing I have struggled with most is when I want to "relax" a rule-say by letting a kid shoot a trophy deer because there have not been many killed that year. But I have found that to be virtually impossible because it is very hard to go back once a rule is "relaxed". Either someone wants to take advantage or others get their feelings hurt because they perceive favoritism.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 01/07/14 08:35 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: tlk] #4896691 01/08/14 06:25 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: tlk

I feel the exact opposite. Having clear rules/guidelines is what makes the lease enjoyable.

Then you are hunting with the wrong people.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4896779 01/08/14 07:05 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

You keep saying that like you and your people are "better" or "superior" from a moral perspective. But, whether you realize it or not, all you are really saying is the people you hunt with all agree what the rules are. So they are clear to you guys-even though they are not written.

Who can shoot what, what constitutes a trophy, guest rules, etc. do not carry any moral implications about who are the "wrong" people and who are not.

Savvy?

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 01/08/14 07:13 PM.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4897073 01/08/14 09:06 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I wish I could get my own property and have my close friends/family on it where everyone is on the same page.

Unfortunately, that is not the case for now.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: ccoker] #4897099 01/08/14 09:19 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: ccoker
I wish I could get my own property and have my close friends/family on it where everyone is on the same page.

Unfortunately, that is not the case for now.

^^^^^This!

I really wish I had my own property, but for now have to "settle" for a lease (or two). I am looking to get on a newly forming lease on a large property just 15 minutes gate to gate from my current lease, and these types of issues were discussed with the lease manager on the phone...he wants to keep it fun and family oriented and he said some guys wanted to come in and manage the place real hard. I am in agreement with lease manager that this will be a meat lease, especially since the LO wants the deer eradicated. Enjoy reading this thread and hope to learn something in the process of forming a new lease.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4897166 01/08/14 09:45 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Ok thanks for enlightening me that I am hunting with the wrong people and that I do not enjoy my lease -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4897508 01/09/14 12:15 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I own my own place now. I have rules. Since I am the owner they don't have to be written but they are rules nonetheless. My place is relatively small (365 acres).

I want only mature bucks taken. My guys know what that is for my place.
No kids until after December 1st. (This rule came about one year when I looked up one weekend and there were 4 wild banshees running around-and none of them were mine. Honestly, I am pretty serious about my hunting and simply like peace and quiet.)
Kids can only take does/hogs/varmints. (I hate this one the worst but on a small place like mine it is either that or no kids at all. I don't charge the 2-3 guys that hunt my place so if they want their kids to get a big buck they can get their own lease.)
No night hunting.
No target shooting during the season.
No ATVs/UTVs/jeeps off the roads unless we are getting a deer.
No one hunts my "good" stand whether I am there or not. (That one is just the way it is because I own the joint.) Other than that we can hunt each other's stands in their absence.
Use good optics and don't shoot button bucks.
Take down/remove all stands and feeders that are not in use/going to be in use soon.

The rules are subject to amendment/addition at any time.

Most of them were just understood before we even started. The kids/roads deals have really been the only ones I have had to deal with directly.

The thing I have struggled with most is when I want to "relax" a rule-say by letting a kid shoot a trophy deer because there have not been many killed that year. But I have found that to be virtually impossible because it is very hard to go back once a rule is "relaxed". Either someone wants to take advantage or others get their feelings hurt because they perceive favoritism.
This is pretty much how we run our place except no does shall be killed.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4897703 01/09/14 01:36 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B

You keep saying that like you and your people are "better" or "superior" from a moral perspective. But, whether you realize it or not, all you are really saying is the people you hunt with all agree what the rules are. So they are clear to you guys-even though they are not written.

Who can shoot what, what constitutes a trophy, guest rules, etc. do not carry any moral implications about who are the "wrong" people and who are not.

Savvy?

I get that but obviously you haven't read and heard some of the BS these guys put up with

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4897707 01/09/14 01:40 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I don't need someone to tell me what to shoot, when I can shoot, or how I can shoot it, just think you hunt with small group of like minded guys that have common goals and it will take care of itself. Half the deer nazi rules I have read and seem the guy that wrote em doesn't know the first thing about trophy deer or enjoying the lease as he is too busy enforcing his rules. SMH
To each his own I guess.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4897760 01/09/14 02:03 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
I haven't been on a lease since 2006. I miss it to a degree. I enjoyed getting away and us coaches having our fun, but when my kids started wanting to hunt it came time to make a change. They enjoyed drinking and had a no kid clause. I didn't like abiding by their rules so I left. I was fortunate and have access to a fairly large chunk of land in Collingsworth and Donley counties so the boy and I headed north. My son, Nephew, and daughters boyfriend have run on the does, but bucks, be they whitetail or muleys must meet a certain criteria. I admit they are different for each. Joshua wont shoot unless it is management or over 150. The other 2 can go down to 140, since they don't have as many under their belt. Obviously if we still hunted Clay or Menard county this would be a little different, but in our area this is more than fair. We have 8 stands and feeders and I move them around as I see fit. If we kill a good one out of one stand, we retire it. 10 years ago we would not worry about retiring stands for the year, but pressure is far heavier now and during the rut these bucks cover a lot of ground and we are surrounded on all sides now days. So, yes I have some rules, but I don't want to take away from the boys, so I try to keep it to a minimum.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4897802 01/09/14 02:23 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I don't need someone to tell me what to shoot, when I can shoot, or how I can shoot it, just think you hunt with small group of like minded guys that have common goals and it will take care of itself. Half the deer nazi rules I have read and seem the guy that wrote em doesn't know the first thing about trophy deer or enjoying the lease as he is too busy enforcing his rules. SMH
To each his own I guess.

you are correct - you go hunt where you want to hunt and I will hunt where I want to - Nazi rules? You are the one on the wrong lease and the wrong hunters - we have a great lease, trophy deer, and great camp - but we have guidelines/rules - to each his own

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4897817 01/09/14 02:28 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Rules are rules, written, verbal, common sense, or understandings. It is best to get it in writing, then everyone has fun, and probably in a much safer environment.
Even those that claim they do not have rules, really do. Just leave a gate open, hunt in another guys blind, or don't make a payment toward your lease, and you'll discover real quick that you actually do have rules.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: Simple Searcher] #4897915 01/09/14 02:58 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Rules are rules, written, verbal, common sense, or understandings. It is best to get it in writing, then everyone has fun, and probably in a much safer environment.
Even those that claim they do not have rules, really do. Just leave a gate open, hunt in another guys blind, or don't make a payment toward your lease, and you'll discover real quick that you actually do have rules.

You Sir get it - 100% correct - try hunting one time on a lease with no rules whatsoever and see how it goes

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: tlk] #4898092 01/09/14 03:58 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
To each his own I guess.

you are correct - you go hunt where you want to hunt and I will hunt where I want to - Nazi rules? You are the one on the wrong lease and the wrong hunters - we have a great lease, trophy deer, and great camp - but we have guidelines/rules - to each his own

Yeah I am on the wrong lease rofl
Never had issue in ten years, taken numerous bucks from 150-176 daughter has taken trophy bucks and mgt bucks. We have shot deer from truck, others have shot deers in my stand, I have shot deer in others stands, we all help keep others feeders full if they can't make it up, we leave gates the way we found them, we all believe in trying to shooting mature animals, written rules nothing outside the lease contract that I sign.
You don't have to have a bunch of rules to have a good lease as long as you have good guys that have common sense and goals

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4898142 01/09/14 04:19 AM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Our contract with our LO has all the rules that he made, we have not made any additional rules outside of those.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: tth_40] #4898497 01/09/14 02:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: tth_40
I don't lease to anyone I don't know and trust. There are four rules.

1. Be safe.
2. Leave the place in better shape than you found it.
3. I make all the final decisions and have the final say when there is any conflict and/or doubt. Ask me first.
4. In case of confusion about anything related to the lease, refer to rule #3.

Easy.

Sums it up for me

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4898625 01/09/14 03:08 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
To each his own I guess.

Yeah I am on the wrong lease rofl
Never had issue in ten years, taken numerous bucks from 150-176 daughter has taken trophy bucks and mgt bucks. We have shot deer from truck, others have shot deers in my stand, I have shot deer in others stands, we all help keep others feeders full if they can't make it up, we leave gates the way we found them, we all believe in trying to shooting mature animals, written rules nothing outside the lease contract that I sign.
You don't have to have a bunch of rules to have a good lease as long as you have good guys that have common sense and goals
. I just have a problem with calling it "Nazi"rules . So according to your post your rancher has written rules and your lease has rules (just not written). Same difference.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4898670 01/09/14 03:23 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
^^^^That's all I am saying. Doesn't seem to be getting through.^^^^^

Sure, I have seen the "Nazi" rules and I don't want any part of them or the guys that promulgate them. But they can be both written and unwritten.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: tlk] #4898716 01/09/14 03:40 PM
M
min1kay2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
That is kind of funny that BMD just rattled off some lease rules.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4899169 01/09/14 06:17 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
^^^^That's all I am saying. Doesn't seem to be getting through.^^^^^

Sure, I have seen the "Nazi" rules and I don't want any part of them or the guys that promulgate them. But they can be both written and unwritten.
. I wasnt one who brought up nazi rules. I simply said rules are necessary and having them clearly written makes sense to me. Eliminates a lot of misunderstandings. Good luck to you

You can't fix stupid
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide