Forums46
Topics539,461
Posts9,749,909
Members87,165
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Big Orn] #487286 11/17/08 04:10 PM
krs_2007 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Not sure if you have kids or not, but I was the same way for a while till my boys got older. Now they enjoy deer meat and are ready to shoot their own deer. But being the only one to eat deer meat in the house makes it hard to shoot anything. I guess thats why I moved to Turkey hunting till they got older. And my wife is now starting to eat it, but mainly the backstrap.

Last edited by krs_2007; 11/17/08 04:10 PM.

"Hard work is the price we must pay for success, I think you can accomplish anything if your willing to pay the price." ~ Vince Lombardi
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: txtrophy85] #487287 11/17/08 04:12 PM
C
cody Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Quote:

if you ever need some practice cleaning a deer come on down to my place for weekend, we can put you to work after a few dozen you can do gut a deer in about 3 min

3 minutes...what the heck takes you so long
Ya'll are going to think I'm full of it, but I've got a buddy that can gut'em like lightening. No exageration, I've timed him at 48 seconds! We do alot of population control, one day we shot 16 doe and I timed him on several. He averages a little under a minute, record was 48 seconds. Absolutely amazing! We give the deer to a woman here in town that has 14 foster kids. We pull up and the kids come boiling out of the house and go to skinning. They've got it down to an art.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487288 11/17/08 09:41 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I'm with you. My wife can't (not won't) eat red meat so I don't bring any deer meat home. On our lease, we can shoot 1 buck but we HAVE to shoot 2 does. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the deer or other hunters but to me, shooting does is about as much fun as shooting dogs. We can drive up to witin 30 yards of them in our Jeeps. They just stand there and look at you while you shoot them. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth so I wait till the last minute to do it. There's always somebody on the lease that will take the meat (Yes, I fill out the form in the rule book). Every year, I come up with some oddball rifle to use just to add a tiny bit of fun to it. The guy that runs this lease doesn't allow bowhunting. This year, I used my AR for both does. I was going to use my Mosin for one of them but didn't feel like going back to camp to get it. Next year, I'll use my PC4.

Below is a pic of how wild they are. That silver thing is the top of the tailgate of the truck I was in. I just slid the back window open to take the pic.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #487289 11/17/08 09:48 PM
C
cody Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Quote:

shooting does is about as much fun as shooting dogs.

Now that sounds like fun!

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487290 11/17/08 09:49 PM
JohnWester Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Quote:

So, this morning was my first time to get out with the rifle this year, and right at first light I shot a doe. I felt absolutely no excitement and as I was cleaning her I was actually a little mad that I had shot. To me it was more trouble than it was worth. I mean, I am the only one that even eats it at the house. So, I think I have just completely crossed over into the trophy hunter phase. I have no desire to mess with does ever again.
Anyone else feel this way?

Have you considered Duck Hunting...

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: JohnWester] #487291 11/18/08 01:02 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Amen brother!
Quote:

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Big Orn] #487292 11/18/08 01:05 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
One other suggestion on taking the does: If it really turns you off hunting them with a gun. Fill your buck tags first with a gun and then fill your doe tags with a bow. It brings a whole nother level of excitement.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: JohnWester] #487293 11/18/08 02:35 AM
cbump Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

So, this morning was my first time to get out with the rifle this year, and right at first light I shot a doe. I felt absolutely no excitement and as I was cleaning her I was actually a little mad that I had shot. To me it was more trouble than it was worth. I mean, I am the only one that even eats it at the house. So, I think I have just completely crossed over into the trophy hunter phase. I have no desire to mess with does ever again.

I want to BAD. I have just never been around anyone that duck hunts so I don't know how to call, how to setup or even where to go.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Crazyhorse] #487294 11/18/08 02:51 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Okay, if everyone is going to stop shooting does, because there is no thrill or excitement in it, does that mean everyone is ready to give up on trying to manage the deer herd to produce quality bucks?????

If the does are not managed/shot and the overall numbers kept to a manageble level, then bucks will not reach their genetic potential due to over population of does.

Am I totally missing something or has management theories changed?

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487295 11/18/08 02:57 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I want to BAD. I have just never been around anyone that duck hunts so I don't know how to call, how to setup or even where to go.

Don't need any calls! We just sneak up the side of the tank dam and blast them on the water.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487296 11/18/08 04:26 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
They are pretty boring. I to have become more of a horn hunter. I still shoot them to keep ratio and to see the thanks on peoples face when I give them the meat. I can buy a lot of good cow for the same price.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Brother in-law] #487297 11/18/08 05:06 AM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Our neighbors seem to have the same views about killing does. Thats part of the problem why our buck to doe ratio is so screwed up. We estimate there are around 35 does to every buck. I will be doing my part and killing 2 does next week. No they don't offer the same excitement as bucks do, but it is a necessary evil. Plus we have a friend that just had open heart surgery and the doctor said he couldn't eat red meat anymore and he is tired of chicken, but venison was on the list of stuff he could eat so we are gonna fill his freezer.

Does don't offer the same excitement to some as they do others, but I know there are lots of folks even kids that would do anything just to be able to shoot a deer. What better way to help your herd out, and promote the sport than by taking someone hunting and letting them kill your does.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Square Up Archery & Lightning Bowstrings Staff Shooter
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: HunterTed] #487298 11/18/08 11:08 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

What better way to help your herd out, and promote the sport than by taking someone hunting and letting them kill your does.

That’s exactly how I do it. Plenty of volunteers for that job!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Crazyhorse] #487299 11/18/08 01:16 PM
cbump Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Okay, if everyone is going to stop shooting does, because there is no thrill or excitement in it, does that mean everyone is ready to give up on trying to manage the deer herd to produce quality bucks?????

If the does are not managed/shot and the overall numbers kept to a manageble level, then bucks will not reach their genetic potential due to over population of does.

Am I totally missing something or has management theories changed?

Why are you argueing about a bucks genetic potential when you readily admit that you will shoot the first legal deer you see, even if it is a young buck.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487300 11/18/08 01:17 PM
cbump Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Ok everyone, here is the kicker. 90% of my hunting, including this latest doe I took, is done on public land! Not sure I care about managing any herd on public land!

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487301 11/18/08 01:43 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I hate killing does and sometimes I am able to put it off long enough that it does not happen. But, if we do not take does off of the place, the entire herd, not just the bucks will suffer, as we have more deer than our country can reasonably support. A dry year means a die-off and I figure a bullet is less suffering than starving to death. I am getting where I hate to kill anything, but I think that comes with age.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487302 11/18/08 01:48 PM
F
FamousAmos Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Quote:

I think I have just completely crossed over into the trophy hunter phase. I have no desire to mess with does ever again.

I think that being a "trophy hunter" you sort of are forced to shoot some does, just to manage the herd in such a way as a trophy is possible. I could be wrong, though.

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: FamousAmos] #487303 11/18/08 02:00 PM
cbump Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I think you should read my above post.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487304 11/18/08 02:02 PM
cbump Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
And HWYMAN's posts about letting others shoot the does. So yes, you can be a trophy hunter and not shoot does.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487305 11/18/08 02:18 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Not argueing, just pointing out, since the majority of folks on here want to shoot quality bucks, that to achieve that level of quality, does have to be managed as much or more so than the bucks.

Over the past couple of years on here, I have come to look upon those of us who just want to kill A deer, as being or becomming a minority.

The more people that make the move to just shooting big bucks, for what ever their reason, reduces the number of does that will be taken out of the herd.

The fewer does taken out, means an increased demand on the available habitat/food source, whether on Private Land or Public Land.

What I will or won't shoot is not part of the issue, the issue is the concept that not taking does out, and only shooting the bigger bucks, is some how going to not end up being detrimental to the over all health of the deer herd in that area.

As I have said, if all a person wants to shoot is Big Bucks, then more power to them, and I am happy for them.

I just do not share that attitude, and feel that a continued decrease in the number of does being taken out of the herd will in the long run prove to have been counter productive as far as bucks reaching their full genetic potential antler wise due to the decreasing amount of nutrition, due to the continueing increase in the numbers of does and inferior bucks.

If the increase of inferior bucks is thrown into the equation, that means those animals will be the ones doing the breeding, passing on those inferior genes, resulting in fewer trophy class or even bragging class bucks in the herd, putting things right back to where they were whan the AR's were first instituted.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Crazyhorse] #487306 11/18/08 02:26 PM
C
caprocker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Quote:

Not argueing, just pointing out, since the majority of folks on here want to shoot quality bucks, that to achieve that level of quality, does have to be managed as much or more so than the bucks.

Over the past couple of years on here, I have come to look upon those of us who just want to kill A deer, as being or becomming a minority.

The more people that make the move to just shooting big bucks, for what ever their reason, reduces the number of does that will be taken out of the herd.

The fewer does taken out, means an increased demand on the available habitat/food source, whether on Private Land or Public Land.

What I will or won't shoot is not part of the issue, the issue is the concept that not taking does out, and only shooting the bigger bucks, is some how going to not end up being detrimental to the over all health of the deer herd in that area.

As I have said, if all a person wants to shoot is Big Bucks, then more power to them, and I am happy for them.

I just do not share that attitude, and feel that a continued decrease in the number of does being taken out of the herd will in the long run prove to have been counter productive as far as bucks reaching their full genetic potential antler wise due to the decreasing amount of nutrition, due to the continueing increase in the numbers of does and inferior bucks.

If the increase of inferior bucks is thrown into the equation, that means those animals will be the ones doing the breeding, passing on those inferior genes, resulting in fewer trophy class or even bragging class bucks in the herd, putting things right back to where they were whan the AR's were first instituted.

good point but no one is saying that they dont agree with management practices..theyre just saying that they dont get a rise out of killing does and carrying it out ..kinda like you state that you dont really get a rise out of hunting a big rack..

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: caprocker] #487307 11/18/08 02:37 PM
cbump Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
thank you caprocker, I was about to say the same thing. Not one person has argued that not killing does won't hurt the herd.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: caprocker] #487308 11/18/08 02:56 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Not getting anything out of killing a certain animal, buck/doe or a certain size/age animal is one thing.

Stopping shooting animals all together because the excitement is gone reduces the number of animals being taken out of the herd.

In areas where the herd is at or below carrying capacity of the range the effects will take longer to manifest themselves.

In areas at or above the carrying capacity, which covers many areas of Texas, the effects manifest themselves much more rapidily.

With hunter numbers already declining, the actual effect hunters have on overall deer numbers is already having only a minimal impact on those numbers.

The more people that stop shooting does/inferior bucks/or more than 1 deer a season, are changing the aspect of hunters being a form of healthy control of the deer herd, to one of hunters being an unhealthy management tool, since they are now being selective to the point of only taking the biggest and the best.

Results being, more deer overall are left in the population each season, and more inferior deer are left in the population.

If our economy turns around and Texas starts experiencing the growth in human population at the rate it had or has been over the past 10 to 20 years, or even an accelerated growth of the human population, the amount of open/available habitat for deer will continue to shrink.

Is deer hunting evolving, at least with some people, that if shooting an animal no longer provides them with an anticipated thrill, they will just selectively stiop shooting anything except animals that fit a certain "Excitement Criteria"?

At what point does not wanting to shoot does because there is no excitement involved, turn to not wanting to shoot anything under 150 B&C because there is no excitement involved?

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Crazyhorse] #487309 11/18/08 03:01 PM
cbump Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Quote:

At what point does not wanting to shoot does because there is no excitement involved, turn to not wanting to shoot anything under 150 B&C because there is no excitement involved?

Whenever I decide it is at that point. Everyone hunts for a different reason. If my reason is that I want to kill a big buck for the excitement than so be it!

If there was no excitement involved, I wouldn't hunt at all!

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487310 11/18/08 03:26 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

If there was no excitement involved, I wouldn't hunt at all!

That maybe a reason why hunter numbers are declining nationwide that no one has really explored.

Maybe many people that did hunt, stopped being excited, and not just with the actual kill, but the whole process.

Loss of hunting companions, loss of hunting areas, loss of goals in being able to kill a better animal.

As some folks pass on to higher levels of maturity, the aspects of the hunt/kill that meant something to them at one time changed and their expectations/desires or enjoyment level changed.

That happens.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide