Forums46
Topics539,416
Posts9,749,328
Members87,160
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Play Maker] #4839464 12/15/13 07:22 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Ignorance is bliss. They do not need probable cause to check you.

And if Dan didn't have a license? So what? What if Dan was just there to fix the tractor and didn't have a license. The presence of a license or lack of a license isn't indicative of anything in the context of the situation.

Actually, they must have "reasonable belief"...of which I am not sure that working on a tractor qualifies.

According to code...
Quote:
Sec. 12.102. INSPECTION OF WILDLIFE RESOURCES. (a) In this section:

(1) "Residence" means a person's principal or ordinary home or dwelling place.

(2) "Temporary residence" means a place where a person temporarily dwells or seeks shelter. The term does not include a hunting blind. The term does include a:

(A) hunting club or lodge;

(B) clubhouse;

(C) cabin;

(D) tent;

(E) manufactured home used as a hunting club or lodge; and

(F) hotel room, motel room, or room in a boardinghouse used during a hunting trip.

(3) "Wildlife resource" means any animal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, or form of aquatic life or any part of an animal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, or form of aquatic life the hunting, catching, or possession of which is regulated by this code.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (d), a game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department who observes a person engaged in an activity regulated by this code or under the jurisdiction of the commission or reasonably believes that a person is or has been engaged in an activity regulated by this code or under the jurisdiction of the commission may inspect:

(1) any license, permit, tag, or other document issued by the department and required by this code of a person hunting or catching wildlife resources;

(2) any device that may be used to hunt or catch a wildlife resource;

(3) any wildlife resource in the person's possession; and

(4) the contents of any container or receptacle that is commonly used to store or conceal a wildlife resource.

(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), a game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department may inspect any wildlife resource that has been taken by a person and is in plain view of the game warden or other peace officer.

(d) Nothing in this section authorizes a game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department to conduct a search otherwise authorized by this section:

(1) in a person's residence or temporary residence; or

(2) on a publicly maintained road or way that is:

(A) improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic;

(B) open to the public; and

(C) distinguishable from a shoulder, berm, or other area not intended for vehicular traffic.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 558, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4839488 12/15/13 07:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

And if Dan didn't have a license? So what? What if Dan was just there to fix the tractor and didn't have a license. The presence of a license or lack of a license isn't indicative of anything in the context of the situation.

Actually, they must have "reasonable belief"...of which I am not sure that working on a tractor qualifies.

Keep in mind he asked me if I had any luck this season. Being an honest person, I told him I had taken a doe earlier. When I told him about the doe, he asked when I killed it. It was a legal kill of course and correctly validated on the back of my license. But still, being asked about previous actions seems like being pulled over and asked if you've been speeding lately.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4839543 12/15/13 07:58 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Taken from the code above:

or under the jurisdiction of the commission".

The jurisdiction of the "commission", is the state of Texas. Just as a Police Officer can technically enforce Texas law anywhere in the state, at anytime.

Generally they will ask you if you've hunted this year, or have been hunting and had success, if so, that should be enough probable cause to check you're hunting license. If the GW does this as a "normal practice" he can say he is not discriminating against anyone.

Driver/hunting licenses are property of the state, issued in you're name as a privileged for a fee. An officer can inspect them.

When we hunted in West Texas, we where checked 2-3 times a year by various GW's..We where a camp of eleven Texas police officers LOL. We all produced our licenses, (except family there not hunting). In fact we had them out by the time the GW got down the road. LOL

We where in a "technical deer camp" and usually not engaged at the moment deer "hunting".

Simply all the GW is doing, is checking you're license for any mistakes, usually folks forget to fill in the back after a harvest (one of our officers forgot and was issued a warning)

You can question a GW or a Police officer if you'd like when he ask for you're license/DL, most will give you the short reason, BUT I would suggest producing it if you have one. If you feel like you have been, "ostracized", take that up with their supervisor/department.

Personally, I think we are severely understaffed in the GW department, I like these guys/galls around and I think all law abiding hunters do too. They may visit 100 hunters before they get that poacher that has been shooting you're deer.

I would bet a woman hunter would be less offended, being checked, (just purely MO) us "boys" tend to let our "manhood" get in the way of logic sometimes.

Sorry, just my thoughts. smile

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Western] #4839566 12/15/13 08:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It was an overreach. And those bug me too-even though I support LEOs generally. But like I said I probably would have taken it in stride-although on a few occasions I haven't.

Had a forest ranger stop me on a county road in DCNF with my 4 wheeler in the back of my pickup, ask for ID, and then ask me where I was going with the 4 wheeler. I produced my ID, but in answer to where I was going politely asked him why he needed to know. Was I violating a law I wasn't aware of? Was I engaging in a suspicious activity? (All requirements for a "Terry" stop or probable cause.)

He said no. I again politely stated that, since this was not Russia and I was not violating any law/engaging in any suspicious activity, it was none of his business where I had been or where I was going.

He then explained that they were cracking down on unauthorized 4 wheeler traffic in the NF (which I knew). Since he was nice I explained I was going to my place bordering the NF and we both went on our way.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4839569 12/15/13 08:14 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
It was an overreach. And those bug me too-even though I support LEOs generally. But like I said I probably would have taken it in stride-although on a few occasions I haven't.

Had a forest ranger stop me on a county road in DCNF with my 4 wheeler in the back of my pickup, ask for ID, and then ask me where I was going with the 4 wheeler. I produced my ID, but in answer to where I was going politely asked him why he needed to know. Was I violating a law I wasn't aware of? Was I engaging in a suspicious activity? (All requirements for a "Terry" stop or probable cause.)

He said no. I again politely stated that, since this was not Russia and I was not violating any law/engaging in any suspicious activity, it was none of his business where I had been or where I was going.

He then explained that they were cracking down on unauthorized 4 wheeler traffic in the NF (which I knew). Since he was nice I explained I was going to my place bordering the NF and we both went on our way.

I like that.

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Sneaky] #4839580 12/15/13 08:21 PM
L
lharrell79 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I like that.

Level heads prevail!

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: luvpigmeet] #4839621 12/15/13 08:54 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Wouldn't this be like going around to lake houses and asking folks to produce a fishing license just bc they're in the general vicinity of a place where fish are?

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4839682 12/15/13 09:35 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

Yes, very much in the same ball park as what happened to me.

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: rifleman] #4839685 12/15/13 09:36 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Wouldn't this be like going around to lake houses and asking folks to produce a fishing license just bc they're in the general vicinity of a place where fish are?

Agreed.

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: rifleman] #4839804 12/15/13 10:19 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Yep. Or pulling random people over because they might be under the influence, etc.

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Stinger13] #4839982 12/15/13 11:12 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: stinger13
Originally Posted By: KevinB57
Originally Posted By: Don Dial
I agree, no probable cause for license check or visit and a little aggressive. Most I've been exposed to are older Wardens and most know me and that I cull shoot. I rarely use all my tags and am very careful to use the meat productively. Always a young couple with kids or older folks on a budget that appreciate a few bags of venison.

Agreed...What happened to probable cause? I am happy they are on the job but...no probable cause and this gives everyone a bad taste. We are all human and hopefully this was simply a case of bad judgment.

Yes yes it is painfully bliss sometimes. When did working on a tractor start requiring a hunting liscence?

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: BOONER] #4840044 12/15/13 11:30 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I would have showed him mine as well but he was out of line asking for it.

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: BOONER] #4840068 12/15/13 11:39 PM
G
gary75758 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
With all the road hunters and poachers in my area I welcome the GW asking everyone, in past few years the GW has been very visible in the area and it is amazing the number of deer you can now see when driving down the roads. I hope they keep it up. texas

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Don Dial] #4840089 12/15/13 11:48 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I would have just stated I did not have it with me. I do not care if I had it on me or not, I would not have given it to him. If he asked for anything else after that, I would have simply stated the same thing.

I do not hunt near my house so I do not care about a relationship with a GW that patrols around me and patrols a home.

They come out to my hunting cabin, hunting or not, and I am more than happy to give it to them..no matter the case.

R

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Don Dial] #4840093 12/15/13 11:50 PM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Mixed emotions about this. A lot would depend on the GW attitude.

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Chief Joe] #4840109 12/15/13 11:57 PM
SCone Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
And if the person working on the tractor HAD BEEN a poacher or trying to steal the tractor...... would you have wanted the GW to have checked out who he was talking with?

I have never had trouble with law enforcement by cooperating

Last edited by SCone; 12/15/13 11:57 PM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
- J. B. Books

For your ID Theft & Legal needs...
http://scone.legalshieldassociate.com
Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: gary75758] #4840131 12/16/13 12:02 AM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Maybe the GW heard from someone that he had killed a doe. The GW showed up politely asked about it. License and was shown it. The GW now knows everything is ok with the harvest of the animal.

Just wondering what some people that call themselves hunters have against the GWs. Yes he can go and ask if you harvested an animal. If he had waited until the OP was headed to the woods yall would be griping that the GW was interrupting the hunt

I am not talking about the OP.

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: gary75758] #4840141 12/16/13 12:05 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: gary75758
With all the road hunters and poachers in my area I welcome the GW asking everyone, in past few years the GW has been very visible in the area and it is amazing the number of deer you can now see when driving down the roads. I hope they keep it up. texas

Yea who cares about individual rights as long as YOUR hunting is better. up

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: SCone] #4840153 12/16/13 12:08 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: SCone
And if the person working on the tractor HAD BEEN a poacher or trying to steal the tractor...... would you have wanted the GW to have checked out who he was talking with?

I have never had trouble with law enforcement by cooperating

Well, gee golly, what if that fella over there in his house minding his own business is a terrorist? Lets go kick the door in and find out. Can't be too sure.

Who cares about rights? That's not nearly as important as catching poachers.

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Sneaky] #4840259 12/16/13 12:33 AM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
What rights were even remotely violated.

So we go from a GW checking a hunting license comparing it to looking for terrorists. Lets go ahead and start asking why you cant drive into area 51 and have a look.

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Hogman4127] #4840269 12/16/13 12:35 AM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
This thread went the ditch...

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Big Orn] #4840394 12/16/13 01:00 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I had a warden stop me at the gate of our ranch, search the vehicle, and ask for a hunting license. I was just going to see my brother. My God I must be a bad person.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Hogman4127] #4840410 12/16/13 01:03 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Hogman4127
What rights were even remotely violated.

So we go from a GW checking a hunting license comparing it to looking for terrorists. Lets go ahead and start asking why you cant drive into area 51 and have a look.

It's truly disappointing that American people cannot see the direction we're heading.

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Trout-killer] #4840419 12/16/13 01:04 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: Trout-killer
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
If your at a place that's predominantly a deer camp/duck lodge, etc. and there's a reasonable belief that hunting or storage of wild game goes on there, they can inspect it. During the course of any lawful exercise of their duties, when a peace officer asks you for a ID/DL or hunting license, I'd produce it. Arguing with them, refusing, etc. may be held up by the jury, but probably not there on the spot.

We have a few game wardens on here, maybe one of them will chime in.

Overall I am as anti government as most, but I don't think the game wardens (nor the ATF inspectors, or highway patrol, or ???) are just out to get us...

Originally Posted By: TPWD
geneRal laW
The following information addresses some of the more commonly asked questions about hunting and fshing requirements and restrictions. For additional information not included in this guide, contact your local game warden or phone the Texas Parks and Wildlife department (TPWd) toll free at (800) 792-1112.
•InSpeCtIonAuthorIty: A game warden who observes a person engaged in an activity governed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code or reasonably believes that a person is or has been engaged in such an activity may inspect:
(1) any license, permit, tag, or other document issued by the department and required by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code of a person hunting or catching wildlife resources;
(2) any device that may be used to hunt or catch a wildlife resource;
(3) any wildlife resource in the person’s possession; and
(4) the contents of any container or receptacle that is commonly used to store or conceal a wildlife resource.

Simply being in a "hunting camp" is not a reasonable belief to warrent an inspection. For all the GW knows he could be a mechanic hired to work on the tractor.

I don't think GWs are out to get us either but, there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things. This particular GW did it the wrong way and it seems like it left a sour taste in the mouth.

We had a GW some years ago that took the approach that if you were in a hunting camp, you were hunting. No if's and but's...you were hunting. He checked a group of my folks one day. Found no problem but one of the hunter's kids, who was asleep inside on the couch, woke up, heard the talking and stepped outside to see what was going on. Got a ticket for not having a hunting license! Daddy was mad as hell but paid the ticket by mail rather then taking off work and driving 300 miles to fight it. Needless to say, I lost a hunter over the deal. Apparently P&W liked his attitude because he got a promotion not long after the incident. Unfortunately, not all the apples in the crate are the same.

Re: Got checked by the game warden yesterday [Re: Simple Searcher] #4840422 12/16/13 01:05 AM
T
therock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
popcorn

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide