Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DB Hunting Ranch #1947125 12/23/10 05:23 AM
A
abnkevin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I went on a hunt with my 6 year old daughter this morning. We were there for a couple hogs but as luck turns out we didn't see any. I ended up taking a Fallow doe and couldn't be happier. My daughter, much to my surprise was very excited, even when it came time to gut it. We had a great time at the DB Hunting Ranch and I would recommend it to anyone.

Kevin

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: abnkevin] #1947261 12/23/10 08:07 AM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Nothin but good reviews so far for those guys. Congrats on a good trip

I offer primarily free range hunts and also preserve hunts on 1 million acres across west and southwest Texas for native and exotic game.

www.westtexashunt.com

Please Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: mulie_mike] #1949088 12/24/10 12:34 AM
H
HeloMed1 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
I'm pretty shocked you guys didn't see any hogs. They must be running low right now. I have never been there that I didn't kill at least two or three hogs in a sitting. Congrats on the doe.

Powered by Red Bull
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: HeloMed1] #1949412 12/24/10 02:46 AM
A
abnkevin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
We saw one but it was still to dark to shoot. A front came in about an hour or so after sunrise and it got REALLY cold REALLY fast. A few Red Deer and the one Fallow came out so down went the Fallow. We were out of the stand by 830-845, maybe if we would have stayed longer we would have seen some more hogs.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: abnkevin] #1950097 12/24/10 01:56 PM
D
DustinsProjects Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Thanks for the great review on here! I sat out Wednesday night with Danny on my Red Stag hunt at the ranch and we saw about 40-50 good size hogs so they are definitely there! They seemed to be running in a large group so that might have been why they did not make it to that feeder. Glad you had a great time and we hope you guys will come back to see us again soon!

Dustin Warncke
(512) 497-7674
https://www.busineswithdustin.com/
https://www.dustinsprojects.com
--
TV Show Producer/Host
Hogger Boys Outdoors on CARBON TV and YouTube
www.hoggerboys.com
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: DustinsProjects] #1955546 12/27/10 04:13 AM
B
Bigreno Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I can't believe you didn't see any hogs. A buddy and I went a few weeks ago and they were everywhere. We wound up taking an axis doe and a fallow doe and had a great time.

I shot this on my cell phone not 30 minutes after I took my axis.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: Bigreno] #1956402 12/27/10 05:46 PM
D
DustinsProjects Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Thanks! That was exactly the sight we saw! Lots of pigs! I think Danny and I were at the same stand you guys were.

Dustin Warncke
(512) 497-7674
--
TV Show Producer/Host
www.hoggerboys.com
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: DustinsProjects] #1960121 12/28/10 11:23 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I have got to get down there with my son this winter.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: passthru] #1960137 12/28/10 11:28 PM
D
dieselgeek Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I shot 2 pigs at DBs. He was very helpful as well. I'm def going again!

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: dieselgeek] #1962002 12/29/10 03:42 PM
A
abnkevin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Once I get done cleaning out my freezer from all the Fallow I'm going to go back for some hogs.

Kevin

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: abnkevin] #1962054 12/29/10 03:57 PM
R
Reich Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Anyone know how big the DB is? I'm not against high fence hunting, I just prefer to hunt large tracts.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: Reich] #1962133 12/29/10 04:21 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I believe it is around 200-300 acres.....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: Eland Slayer] #1962177 12/29/10 04:34 PM
N
nmhybridhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Not sure..but I know they have plenty of game..was out last spring and they were covered up with plenty of hogs, got two in one sitting

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: nmhybridhunter] #1963794 12/30/10 01:33 AM
R
rsquared Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
they are smaller in acreage, but laid out well and with a lot of heavy cover. so the place hunts like it is much larger.
not a canned type place at all

Stuff my dad said in the deer blind

"I can dive deeper and come up drier"
"did you do that?"
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: rsquared] #1965236 12/30/10 04:03 PM
D
DustinsProjects Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
We are about 300 acres indeed! Thanks for the great reviews! We try our best to have "working man's" hunting prices so folks can come back often! Thanks again for hunting with us!

Dustin Warncke
(512) 497-7674
--
TV Show Producer/Host
www.hoggerboys.com
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: DustinsProjects] #1965449 12/30/10 05:19 PM
Rudy-S2k Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Looks like a fun place. I did some hunting at the T-Post when Roland still had it going. Similar size. With all that cover, it doesn't even seem it.

Got me a double curl black hawaiian, texas doll, and corsican. My taxidermist then decided to split town and took the sheep with him to sell.

I still need to replace those sheep some time. Good to know there's a nice little ranch not too far off. wink

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: Rudy-S2k] #2857962 12/21/11 02:09 PM
P
Pig Daddy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
i took my sons to DB on Monday the 19th, for them to shoot a hog and a Sika doe, they both had a great time, they were both able to stalk their Sika does, and we were able to sit in a blind that evening, and my oldest was able to take a hog. Our Guide Scott was great with my boys, and i would highly recommend a hunt here if you are looking for meat, and for the kids to see plenty of critters !

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: Pig Daddy] #2858734 12/21/11 05:39 PM
D
DustinsProjects Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Thanks for the wonderful review! We look forward to having you back again in the future!

Dustin Warncke
(512) 497-7674
--
TV Show Producer/Host
www.hoggerboys.com
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: DustinsProjects] #2861409 12/22/11 02:35 PM
H
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Way cool!

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: highlonesome1] #2861830 12/22/11 05:02 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Congrats abnkevin on a great hunt.
I shot a red deer hind there and my uncle shot a red deer stag by accident and my other uncle shot a fallow doe.
We had a great time.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: chital_shikari] #2862060 12/22/11 06:27 PM
M
Mike Garcia Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Ya, been there few times, Danny is pretty cool guy along with rest of the guides... I ended up making this for them at work. [img:center][/img]

Taxidermy Designs
Taxidermy By Manuel Garza � Tomball, Texas
www.taxidermydesigns.com

Pro Staff @ http://hipstargets.com/
Custom Bowstands By Michael Garcia
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: abnkevin] #4758840 11/18/13 07:40 PM
B
b1hearin Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I called DB to set up a Red Deer, Fallow Doe, Ram, and Hog hunt with Danny. Danny and I agreed to a sunday hunt starting at 12:30-1:00pm 11/17/2013. We were going to try and take a few animals by 4:30 as he would be taking hog hunters to stands that evening. Danny assured me we could probably come close to getting everything we had set as a goal. This hunt was strictly for my 13yr.old son (W) to get some spot and stalk hunting practice, Preparing for shots, and actually shooting off sticks. I have a guided NM Cow elk hunt coming up for W and wanted real world practice for him. I dicided DB could help him accomplish these goals with the benefit of bagging a few animals, while gaining field experience for this hunt.. Cody was our guide and very accomidating and personable. I did not see anyother guides or owners (Danny or his Wife)except for his wife coming to lead us from the gas station to the hunting land during our trip.
Once introductions were over Cody loaded us up in a Singe seat ranger and we took off on the ranch. We just got started looking for animals and getting the feel of the place when cody noticed fresh blood crossing the road. We split up and tracked the blood and I found the dead 100# hog in thick brush. Come to find out the previous morning stand hunters who were hog hunting told the guides they hadnt seen or shot anything during the morning hunt. WRONG, THEY LIED! They shot a hog which had run about 60yds and died in the brush (The one I found). Unsportsman like to say the least. A coupe of the the guys from this hunt also shot a 100# hog to which they shot all of his legs, hind Quarters and finally dispatched him with a head shot this small hog was shot 7 times. The way I understand it they did this just on a whim to have fun and target practice. really disgusted me hearing this. Idiots like this give all hunters a bad name. They really should have been reported, but I'm not sure what they could have been charged with. Maybe wanton waste.
Anyhow W (my son), Cody, and I started the hunt. We drove a little ways on the property and then got out and started walking and glassing. We came upon a few hogs one group had 20+, and fallow does, but nothing we were looking for. We kept walking and spotted some rams through the brush. Cody took his time and worked with W, (I stayed out of the way took pitures and watched). Cody helped W decide which Ram he wanted to take and then they started the stalk and set up for a clean shot. As they crawled into position the Ram spotted them stood and started walking away. Cody got W set up again on the shooting sticks with a quartering away shot, Cody whistled and the Ram took one step and turned Broad side about 110yds. W set up on the sticks with Codys help, settled the cross hairs behind the Rams shoulder and squeezed the trigger on the 270 Win short mag. With the Crack of the shot the ram flipped straight over backwards and didn't move again. One Trophy down. Cody immediatly shook W's hand and congratulated him. This was a great moment and W had a grin from ear to ear. As I was in the brush and could not see the shot. I asked cody about the shot placement. He confirmed a perfect heart lung shot. Awesome W, was very happy and I was tickled to death that he was able to follow all of codys instructions and make a great shot as Cody called it.
Now for the dissapointing part.
We picked up the ram and brought him to the cleaning station. Cody helped me hang the Ram for caping. Then said he would be right back so we could continue the hunt for the other animals on our bucket list. It took me about 30 minutes for me to clean and cape the ram for mounting. So once we had the cape, Head, and Meat in the YETI, we waited. and waited, and waited. Cody left at 1:15 and didn't return until 3:25 or after. That was the last time I remember checking the time. Because he didn't return and we didn't know what was going on we decided on leaving. We left the payment for the Ram on top of the Ice machine along with a tip for Cody. I called every number I had for DB outfitters and no one would answer. I left messages stating where I was leaving the money. We packed all of our gear up and got in the truck to leave. Finally Danny called. I suppose it was Danny, but I'm not totally sure (I've never met him). Danny I guess, said cody would be there in a few minutes and to just hang on. We waited another 10 minutes and Cody did show up in a pick up with 2 other guys. The driver did not get out of the truck and stayed on a cell call the whole time in the driver seat. I would have expected if this was Danny he woud have wanted to meet his hunters who are spending their hard earned money with him. I walked with Cody over to the ice machine to retrieve the money I left for the Ram and Codys tip. As we were walking Cody appologized a few times about not returning. He never gave an explanination and I didn't ask. I just let him know we were dissapointed in being left alone for so long, we were expecting him back quickly so we could continue our hunt. I let him know we had packed up and were heading out. Cody asked us not to leave but said we would not be able to continue spot and stalk hunting. As the guy in the Truck heard me tell Cody we were leaving he quickly chimed in and said Cody was going put us in a stand. He said you can get all of the animals you want in this manner. I thanked him and said we appreciate the offer but we were not interested in sitting in a stand and shooting over corn. We did not come with the intention of spending $700 to $1000 to hunt several animals out of a stand. W or I didn't want to shoot an animal over corn. We had made the deal to spot and stalk hunt to practice for W's coming Elk hunt. As it was getting late close to 4:oo and stand Hog hunters were also at the staging area it was obvious our hunt was over. Pretty dissapointing.
Overall this was a fun hunt with Cody. W harvested a great Ram and learned a bunch while stalking with Cody, shooting from sticks, watching wind direction, Waiting for the shot you want, etc. Experience is the best teacher. But with all of the animals we wanted to harvest and only coming home with the ram, it left both of us with a half empty feeling inside. I wish we would have had the CHANCE to accomplished our goal. Maybe next time.
Would I recommend this hunt to others. I would if you want to teach a kid or practice advanced hunting techniques. ie, glassing on the go, Spot and Stalk, Looking for parts of animals not the whole animal in thick brush, Stealth quiet walking, crawling through thick brush with gear safely, Identifying the animal you want, getting into position for a shot you are comfortable with, making a shot from shooting sticks. From what I saw while at DB, Stand hunting is probably your best bet to harvest animals. If you want spot and stalk hunting I think there might be beter options out there. There is only one reason I say this, it is because the place is pretty small and DB has a lot of hunters. So, say someone wants to stand hunt, the spot and stalk is not an option because of the limited area. Not to mention hunters you do not know who possibly would shoot at shadows.
I was raised on 14 sections in west Texas so I have an idea of land area. We had a heifer pasture that was about the size of this place. Judging from the time it took us to go from the front to back and side to side in the place I'd say its probably 60 to 100 acres. Althoug I will say as thick as it is this place definately has the feel of a much larger place. There are enough animals to keep STAND hunters interested and you should be able to harvest what your after. We saw over 50 hogs, 15+/- FALLOW does, 7 Rams and 1 SIKA doe. We did not get on any BROWN or RED deer, AXIS, or BLACKBUCKS. From what I saw Trophys will be hard to come by, But Meat is out there for sure. I would rate DB a 8/10 for a quick meat hunt, Cleaning facilities 8/10 everything you need just bring your knives, Guide servce 6/10 Cody was great with W but he left us alone for a long long time, Game seen (Does) 7/10, Making you feel welcome 6/10 Didn't get to meet Danny and if that was him in the truck he had no interest in meeting us (his paying customers), Pricing for animals 9/10.
I have to say we were dissapointed. We had high expectations for DB. We did accomplished the goal of harvesting a great Ram. We wanted too, but did not get the opportunity to hunt other species/animals because we were left at the cleaning station most of our hunting time. I do understand S**t happens, That being said I have the feeling much more could have been done to accomidate us. I have not to this point received and explanition as to the dissapearing act. I guess we just showed up on a bad day for DB, Im not sure. Its ashame for us because of tight work and school schedules we have limited time in the field. So when we are able to schedule a hunt such as we did with DB we have high expectations. Would I go Back? I think so but with a new understanding of what to expect and the knowledge of what might or might not happen. I hope this helps others. Over all I would rate this a 6/7 out of 10.
W and I were really excited to hunt with DB and left with a couple of empty coolers. Guns Up Bo

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: b1hearin] #4758997 11/18/13 08:26 PM
T
TravisMears.com Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
4 animals in 4 hours spot and stalk would be difficult any place. Congrats on the ram.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: TravisMears.com] #4759198 11/18/13 09:20 PM
R
rsquared Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
congrats on the ram and the practice for W.
sorry that you didn't have the hunt you wanted in its entirety though.
I felt your write up was thorough and not heavy handed.
you are obviously upset about the trip, but didn't make things personal and that also sets a good example for your son.

I don't know the other side of the story and would bet that Danny and team have a good explanation or an apology if they don't. seriously doubt this thread goes any further than that since Danny has a reputation for being pretty straight forward.

I have been to DB a few times and always had a good experience.
that being said, if they left me at the cleaning station for 2 hrs without an explanation, I would have done the same thing you did.
I suspect something else happened and they didn't effectively communicate that to you like they could have.

I will take my daughter out there for a pig hunt sometime soon,
but we will sit in a stand since she does better with a fixed shooting rest.

Last edited by rsquared; 11/18/13 09:21 PM.

Stuff my dad said in the deer blind

"I can dive deeper and come up drier"
"did you do that?"
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: b1hearin] #4759521 11/18/13 10:43 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good review (jmo) customer service is key in any business.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide