Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: BenBob] #4751758 11/15/13 06:35 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: BenBob
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
What is hunting without killing? Watching?

Killing is the possible end result of hunting and the possibility is always there. Killing does not always have to occur for my hunt to be successful. My perfect deer season is to see a big buck on camera or in person at the beginning of the season. During the season I see him enough to know that he is still there. Perfect ending is that I kill him the last day of the season. I hunted the entire season and was successful at the end. If I do not kill a deer, there is enough for me just being involved in the hunt to keep coming back. Some people need the kill part more. I am just not one of those people. To each their own. Just my opinion.

If you see the deer hour after often during the season, why didn't you kill it? I don't see the point in waiting if the one I want is there. You hunt to kill. You may be after just one deer but in the end, your goal is to kill. No reason to sugar coat it. This is not the Texas watching forum.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: bo3] #4751789 11/15/13 06:49 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: bo323

Killing is the possible end result of hunting and the possibility is always there. Killing does not always have to occur for my hunt to be successful. My perfect deer season is to see a big buck on camera or in person at the beginning of the season. During the season I see him enough to know that he is still there. Perfect ending is that I kill him the last day of the season. I hunted the entire season and was successful at the end. If I do not kill a deer, there is enough for me just being involved in the hunt to keep coming back. Some people need the kill part more. I am just not one of those people. To each their own. Just my opinion.

If you see the deer hour after often during the season, why didn't you kill it? I don't see the point in waiting if the one I want is there. You hunt to kill. You may be after just one deer but in the end, your goal is to kill. No reason to sugar coat it. This is not the Texas watching forum.

I would try, but not all encounters I have with deer end up with a shot opportunity and it is awful hard to kill a picture. Sometimes I get fleeting glimpses of deer without a shot opportunity. Not all of us are as good at killing or hunting as you are. Killing might represent the end result of a successful hunt to you, but I do not have to kill anything to have a successful hunt. WHen I was young, numbers of kills meant something. Now quality of experience is what means something to me. If you have to argue about it, then you don't get it, so don't even try. As I said, "To each their own."

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: BenBob] #4751793 11/15/13 06:51 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Killing is the easiest part of the equation. Tying a deer to a stump is the hardest.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: rifleman] #4751803 11/15/13 06:54 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Killing is the easiest part of the equation. Tying a deer to a stump is the hardest.

I prefer freestyle. I have always been up for a challenge.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: BenBob] #4751897 11/15/13 07:42 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

I would try, but not all encounters I have with deer end up with a shot opportunity and it is awful hard to kill a picture. Sometimes I get fleeting glimpses of deer without a shot opportunity. Not all of us are as good at killing or hunting as you are. Killing might represent the end result of a successful hunt to you, but I do not have to kill anything to have a successful hunt. WHen I was young, numbers of kills meant something. Now quality of experience is what means something to me. If you have to argue about it, then you don't get it, so don't even try. As I said, "To each their own."

At what point did I say it was easy? That's right I never did. Never said numbers matter either did I. Let's see if I can simplify it. If you don't plan on picking up your gun or bow at some point your not hunting, your watching. I'm usually after a specific buck. Every time I go out my intent is to kill it. I usually pass on several deer because they are not what I'm hunting. I'm usually pretty happy to just watch deer. However I'm not going to say that when I'm hunting my goal is not to kill even if I don't get a shot at my target. My goal was still to kill my target.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: bo3] #4751915 11/15/13 07:54 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I don't see "easy" mentioned by me either, but maybe I missed it. Numbers were my deal with no mention of you. I usually hunt a specific buck also and I will kill him when the opportunity presents itself. My prefect hunt would end on the last day of the season. Not many perfect of anything out there. I don't really see where we are that much different. Like I said, "To each their own."

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: BenBob] #4751925 11/15/13 07:58 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

I prefer freestyle. I have always been up for a challenge.

Its much easier in a high fence bolt

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: MarkE] #4751932 11/15/13 08:03 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I see you've never shot one that's been tied to a stump.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: rifleman] #4751944 11/15/13 08:10 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I see you've never shot one that's been tied to a stump.

Not since the game warden fined me.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: MarkE] #4751946 11/15/13 08:11 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Sorry the easy part wasn't you. I got you and rifleman mixed up. I think I miss read your post earlier. I think the difference is you're happy not getting your deer. I'm not happy about it and the next year I will hunt harder or smarter. Dont get me wrong i still enjoy it.A year without deer jerky is a long year.

Back to topic I believe you can manage 300 acres. I only have 140 but it still holds some deer. Most are passing through but will pass through the next year too. My place has two main racks. One set has brow tines and is narrower. The other is wide and no brow tines. I could start being selective for either and change the genetic makeup but I usually just go after whatever is mature and catches my eye. Its s one buck county so I would have to get neighbors involved or let others hunt on my place.

Last edited by bo323; 11/15/13 08:27 PM.
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: bo3] #4751954 11/15/13 08:17 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Sorry the easy part wasn't you. I got you and rifleman mixed up. I think I miss read your post earlier. I think the difference is you're happy not getting your deer. I'm not happy about it and the next year I will hunt harder or smarter. Dont get me wrong i still enjoy it.A year without deer jerky is a long year.

Back to topic I believe you can manage 300 acres. I only have 140 but it still holds some deer. Most are passing through but will pass through the next year too. My place has two main racks. One set has brow tines and is narrower. The other is wide and no brow tines.

140 acres, you are not managing the deer herd, you are only shooting what you want. Feeding them all, and taking what fits your "requirements" of a good deer is not game management. Basically you are shooting the "visitors" that you want.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: rifleman] #4751965 11/15/13 08:20 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I gained access to a 288 tract in 2010 and ran camera surveys on it that fall. The place was mostly surrounded by national forest which can be worse than a day hunt place. 4-5bucks (only 1 not a yearling) on camera total & a few does was all I could find. There had been 5 families of ppl on the place filling tags that got the boot so I figured the place was over pressured & shot up. As of now, the place has yet to be hunted but there are a few bucks that will get you're attention that have been allowed to get some age on them. What happens next is important, I can choose to shoot the place up and head back toward step one, or I can try to single out those special older deer and only try to kill them. It's not going to result in me filling a tag every yr, but it can allow me to bring in a kid during the late youth and let them shoot something that I don't like being there.

first yr

last yr

age classes are doing what they need to be doing.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: bo3] #4751971 11/15/13 08:23 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
WHen I get a chance to go deer hunting I am happy. The only real time I am unhappy is right after deer season has ended.

Management is another thing that is in the eyes of the manager. If a person owns 20,000 acres but does not take care of the deer, he is not making it the best it can be and the place is not managed. On the other hand, if another person plants food plots, takes out excessive does, passes on some of the younger bucks and makes plans for the future and carries through with most of them, the place is being managed to the best of his ability, even if it is only 140 acres.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: BenBob] #4751993 11/15/13 08:29 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
WHen I get a chance to go deer hunting I am happy. The only real time I am unhappy is right after deer season has ended.

Management is another thing that is in the eyes of the manager. If a person owns 20,000 acres but does not take care of the deer, he is not making it the best it can be and the place is not managed. On the other hand, if another person plants food plots, takes out excessive does, passes on some of the younger bucks and makes plans for the future and carries through with most of them, the place is being managed to the best of his ability, even if it is only 140 acres.

That is mostly land management not deer management, you are improving the habitat, which helps the deer herd in general.

[Linked Image]
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: dogcatcher] #4751999 11/15/13 08:31 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Back to topic I believe you can manage 300 acres. I only have 140 but it still holds some deer. Most are passing through but will pass through the next year too. My place has two main racks. One set has brow tines and is narrower. The other is wide and no brow tines.

140 acres, you are not managing the deer herd, you are only shooting what you want. Feeding them all, and taking what fits your "requirements" of a good deer is not game management. Basically you are shooting the "visitors" that you want.

So your saying I could shoot anything and make no difference at all. Hmmmm does that mean I can be that neighbor and have no effect? Maybe I should day lease and hope my place borders yours.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: dogcatcher] #4752007 11/15/13 08:36 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yes you can-especially if you have good bedding/core areas. My strategy is just like RM's and we have similar results.

As for kids, the first deer is whatever makes them excited. I don't care what it is. No management plan is worth disappointing a kid and "teaching" them your expectations is...well...unrealistic IMO. (I'm holding back here.)

We can learn a little and shape expectations little by little as they get older/hunt more.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: bo3] #4752012 11/15/13 08:39 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No day leases around my place, they are owned by party people, they haven't a clue what they are doing. During the year the deer live on their places eating from their feeders, after the party starts in October they move over to our place.

[Linked Image]
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4752014 11/15/13 08:40 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Ya'll figure it out. I am going deer hunting.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: BenBob] #4752021 11/15/13 08:44 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Good luck. We went early this morning out south of Merkel. We saw a couple of does, and a spike, then headed in for coffee.

[Linked Image]
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: dogcatcher] #4752029 11/15/13 08:49 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Good luck. We went early this morning out south of Merkel. We saw a couple of does, and a spike, then headed in for coffee.

Thanks.
We hunt just west of Big Lake in Reagan County.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: rifleman] #4752076 11/15/13 09:13 PM
R
RDNCK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I gained access to a 288 tract in 2010 and ran camera surveys on it that fall. The place was mostly surrounded by national forest which can be worse than a day hunt place. 4-5bucks (only 1 not a yearling) on camera total & a few does was all I could find. There had been 5 families of ppl on the place filling tags that got the boot so I figured the place was over pressured & shot up. As of now, the place has yet to be hunted but there are a few bucks that will get you're attention that have been allowed to get some age on them. What happens next is important, I can choose to shoot the place up and head back toward step one, or I can try to single out those special older deer and only try to kill them. It's not going to result in me filling a tag every yr, but it can allow me to bring in a kid during the late youth and let them shoot something that I don't like being there.

first yr

last yr

age classes are doing what they need to be doing.

Very nice, noticeable difference

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4752100 11/15/13 09:21 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Yes you can-especially if you have good bedding/core areas. My strategy is just like RM's and we have similar results.

As for kids, the first deer is whatever makes them excited. I don't care what it is. No management plan is worth disappointing a kid and "teaching" them your expectations is...well...unrealistic IMO. (I'm holding back here.)

We can learn a little and shape expectations little by little as they get older/hunt more.

Disappointing a kid? How many times was that kid 'disappointed' when he was too young to be the shooter and had to watch you slay a deer he would have been thrilled with? Don't give me that BS. It's harder on the kid to tell him no for the first time on his second deer than it is to train him correctly from the get-go.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #4752125 11/15/13 09:32 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Disappointing a kid? How many times was that kid 'disappointed' when he was too young to be the shooter and had to watch you slay a deer he would have been thrilled with? Don't give me that BS. It's harder on the kid to tell him no for the first time on his second deer than it is to train him correctly from the get-go.

If my grandson or granddaughter wanted to shoot one of the cows on our place, I would get on the phone to the guy that leases our grazing rights and ask him what it would cost. Then I would tell a check is in the mail.

Sure would like to see the look on the butcher's face when we pull up with a cow. rofl

One thing I learned as a grandpa, I can do damn near anything I want as long as it is legal. I don't have to answer to anyone at anytime. up

[Linked Image]
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #4752142 11/15/13 09:38 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
If the kid goes all the time and never gets to shoot, there is a good chance they will get tired of it. I believe they need a taste so they know they can be successful. I don't have kids but have been around them hunting. Ones that kill a monster for a first deer don't seem to have interest in hunting a place unless it has very large deer. J have seen them kill a doe for their first deer and be happy just to get to go hunting. This is from limited experience. Start small and work your way up and you'll have more respect for whatever you do.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #4752159 11/15/13 09:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Whatever there trophy-man. IMO you have lost all perspective-if you ever had it.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide