Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lost Deer [Re: millerliteliker] #4652552 10/12/13 11:04 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
who knew this would turn into a IBA thread...arent internet forums fun?

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Lost Deer [Re: millerliteliker] #4652734 10/12/13 01:06 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: millerliteliker
This is a sport (we are NOT hunting to feed our families no matter what the perfect hunter stated above - beef from Kroger is much less expensive than venison) and in a SPORT some things happen that are not totally in our control.

I have lost a buck and a doe back when I first started deer hunting. I learned alot from both incidences. Both deer were lost when I did not wait long enough to recover them and jumped them as I was tracking them. Since that time, I have taken extra care to take extra time before I go after one (unless I see it down on the ground from my tree).

One thing to make you feel better - these deer are tough. I had a son get a complete pass through on an eight point one weekend last year. The shot was a little high and we found no blood trail. We looked for the buck that night and the next morning. Believe it or not, the next weekend, my other son shot the same deer and dropped him in his tracks. We found a clean complete pass through shot just above his shoulder but below his spine. That was the shot from last week.

Just keep at it and your recovery problems will become very rare. This is a great SPORT that takes time and experience to become proficient at. Even with that though, you never master it. But that is what makes it challenging and worthwhile to pursue.

Hunting is not a sport and it's not a game it's an instinct we all possess, to call it anything other than that is demeaning. As long as man has walked this earth he has carefully honed these instincts and hopefully passed them on. We've held the upper hand since day one!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Lost Deer [Re: HWY_MAN] #4653560 10/12/13 07:13 PM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Yeah beef is cheaper if you have a high dollar lease....I hunt behind my house and process my own...Beef isn't cheaper to me....Have you been to this Krogers you speak of lately bro? Lol. We don't buy hardly any meat from stores..to each there own.

Robert
Re: Lost Deer [Re: ryorgensen] #4654369 10/13/13 01:37 AM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
I don't take marginal shots. Still, lost a doe in Kansas hit her low at 23 yrds in the brisket blood trailed her for over 300 yrds in the dark (drop here drop there) give my bro in law most of the credit it was a masterful tracking job even had to deal with where she backtracked. Eventually came to where she went into the river and gone. Still bothers me but I learned to shoot higher, double lung is the way to go.

Re: Lost Deer [Re: okbowhunter] #4656755 10/14/13 12:50 AM
T
thewrap Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Well thanks for those who had something helpful to say. I still feel sick but I used that as motivation to do better this weekend. Friday afternoon I got in camp and broke the bow out and started shooting. Groupings were good but made an adjustment to my sights and was able to tighten them up a bit. Made it out for both hunts yesterday but woke up to rain this morning so stayed in camp. But I'll get back at it next weekend.

Jesse Reynolds
Professional Home Inspector TREC ID# 21526
www.integrityhomeinspectionservice.com
Re: Lost Deer [Re: thewrap] #4658177 10/14/13 03:28 PM
M
mattm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
It certainly is a fact of life for bow hunters no matter how good they claim to be. I've lost a doe and a hog. The dow was a liver shot, maybe some of the lung but it was my first deer with a bow and in my exitement I got out of the stand early and pushed the deer. The hog was just a tough critter. It was a solid lung shot and we looked for hours and called it a night. The next afternoon we found it dead right where i had shot it the night before; I guess its a good thing we never came up on it, it was about a 350lb boar and likely would have been quite pissed off. In either case, it's like getting hit in the gut with a baseball bat.

Also, thewrap, unless it's a torential downpour, I love foul weather hunting, you might think about giving it a try. I say this not knowing what you were facing though, just throwing it out.

...as He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free...
Re: Lost Deer [Re: mattm] #4658392 10/14/13 04:30 PM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
Changing themes, but I love hunting in the rain. IF you have good raingear.

Re: Lost Deer [Re: millerliteliker] #4659806 10/14/13 11:36 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
To all the people who say they've never lost a bow shot deer I say you haven't shot enough of them or bs. I've taken a bunch of deer with my bow but I have had a few I didn't get. A couple were superficial wounds from mechanical heads that didn't penetrate on quartering shots and a couple were just bad shots. It shouldn't happen often but if you don't feel like [censored] when it does then I don't need to hunt with you.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide