Forums46
Topics538,937
Posts9,743,175
Members87,125
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: Sniper John] #4615425 09/30/13 03:26 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
That's just not realistic if you hunt with guns as well as bows. I don't even like to leave stand until late in the morning if I have to drive by, or near, other locations to get back to camp. Courtesy goes a long way. Explaining to them may be enough. Shooting a rabbit or squirrel mid day may not seem much but in areas where deer are highly sensitive to human activity it could shut down movement during daylight hours.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: passthru] #4615456 09/30/13 03:36 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I guess it depends on the size of the place, but we always shoot guns mid day and have never had an issue seeing deer in the evening hunts, even in the blinds closest to the camp.

Unless they were specifically told not to, I think a lot of you are missing the whole goal of taking the kids to the lease: getting them excited about the outdoors and hunting. Telling them not to sneeze for fear of scaring the animals isn't the way to go.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: cameron00] #4615465 09/30/13 03:38 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
To further illustrate, one of the places I hunt, the shooting range actually has a blind on it. We'll shoot the guns in during the day and then hunt the exact same spot that evening. Can't think of a single instance of hunting that particular spot where we didn't see deer.

In fairness to the counterpoint, it is the hill country and the population is "real high".

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: cameron00] #4615489 09/30/13 03:44 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: cameron00
To further illustrate, one of the places I hunt, the shooting range actually has a blind on it. We'll shoot the guns in during the day and then hunt the exact same spot that evening. Can't think of a single instance of hunting that particular spot where we didn't see deer.

In fairness to the counterpoint, it is the hill country and the population is "real high".

The million dollar question......"what didn't you see after shooting all day???". Ever wonder why mature bucks can be nocturnal?

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: cameron00] #4615528 09/30/13 03:56 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Many hunters have seen the same thing. I have had deer show up at a pond where I was dove hunting. Deer do get used to activity and the report of a gun isn't always easy for them to locate. But activity and commotion is still going to effect deer movement and especially mature deer.

Some hunters are more protective of their areas and some take hunting more serious than others. Like John said, you should get on a place that you fit in with the other hunters.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: MarkE] #4615651 09/30/13 04:42 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: MarkE

The million dollar question......"what didn't you see after shooting all day???". Ever wonder why mature bucks can be nocturnal?

The deer taken there have been at the high end of those taken in the county, so I don't think the "you would have seen bigger" logic applies.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: cameron00] #4615666 09/30/13 04:45 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Every place is different. It's absolutely feasible that a kid shooting a squirrel with a shotgun screwed the original poster's chances or spooked a mature buck.

It's also completely feasible that it had no effect at all and this is just a projection of frustration in not shooting anything.

Agree with the the prevailing structure of the lease dictating behavior. If only one guy is bringing his kids and making noise, he's the exception and should be reprimanded. If there is only 1 bowhunter and the rest of the group all bring their kids out there to shoot squirrels, the bowhunter can probably pound sand.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: cameron00] #4615689 09/30/13 04:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Every place is different. It's absolutely feasible that a kid shooting a squirrel with a shotgun screwed the original poster's chances or spooked a mature buck.

It's also completely feasible that it had no effect at all and this is just a projection of frustration in not shooting anything.

Agree with the the prevailing structure of the lease dictating behavior. If only one guy is bringing his kids and making noise, he's the exception and should be reprimanded. If there is only 1 bowhunter and the rest of the group all bring their kids out there to shoot squirrels, the bowhunter can probably pound sand.

I agree with this. I have been on a place or two where the disdain for bowhunters bordered on hatred (much like Texas Dan's attitude). I understood the majority ruled though so I kept quiet.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: dogcatcher] #4615730 09/30/13 05:11 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
My rules are real simple, if you are not deer hunting, you are to stay in camp or working in your area. No 4 wheelers, no shooting, no horseplay. Break a rule you might be shown the front gate, but whizz on my parade and you won't be back.

That's about like our place we bought it to deer hunt. There is no joy riding no target shooting no spraying bullets around for fun. We are either hunting, filling feeders, running cams, fixing a fence feeder blind, or planting a food plot or we are not there.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: redchevy] #4615743 09/30/13 05:17 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
My rules are real simple, if you are not deer hunting, you are to stay in camp or working in your area. No 4 wheelers, no shooting, no horseplay. Break a rule you might be shown the front gate, but whizz on my parade and you won't be back.

That's about like our place we bought it to deer hunt. There is no joy riding no target shooting no spraying bullets around for fun. We are either hunting, filling feeders, running cams, fixing a fence feeder blind, or planting a food plot or we are not there.

That's pretty much my place during deer season. I bought it to deer hunt so from Oct-Dec that's the priority.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: GristleHead] #4615758 09/30/13 05:24 PM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
It's called a deer camp for a reason...

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: Chief Joe] #4615881 09/30/13 06:15 PM
A
Aggie Hunter '15 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
I don't think it's much of an overreaction. It does affect hunting if it's close enough. There's plenty of time between morning & evening hunts for messing around. It's a respect thing

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of '15
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: GristleHead] #4615960 09/30/13 06:37 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
On the lease that I manage it is understood that deer hunting trumps everything.
From the start of bow season until the end of rifle season there will be absolutely no target shooting what so ever.
My group of hunters a courteous and respectful therefore I have never had any issues.
IMO… If you have a lease that is year around there is nine months to do all of the target shooting you want before the start of deer season.
Simple… Be courteous and respectful of the deer hunters.

[Linked Image]
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: Sniper John] #4615995 09/30/13 06:46 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
This also goes back to something I said early in the thread. If you are a bowhunter, look for a lease where everyone bowhunts. If you not a bowhunter, look for a lease where everyone does not bowhunt. If you don't have kids don't get on a lease where everyone else is bringing kids. If your an old guy, don't get on a lease with a bunch of young guys, and so on. If most on the lease don't bowhunt, the lone bowhunter telling the majority with kids that their kids have to stay in camp and not make any noise could be taken as discourteous to the kids. And people do tend to get very defensive when it concerns their kids. I would be tactful in how you present it, especially if there is only a couple bowhunters in the group. I know on my lease as the lone bowhunter if I tried to involk a rule of no shooting during bow season, after season I would probably be politely told my time on the lease was over. I enjoy my lease and enjoy who I hunt with, so I go with the majority and with our designated range safely in camp that is in a visibly open area with a safe backstop and not out in the hunting area, smart enough not to put up a bowstand in the areas we hunt small game and dove, and so no one shooting around my bowstand, it is not a problem anyway.

It's really sad the hunting community has often become so divided, but your comments are spot on. I remember when two bow hunters hung stands near a major road to/from camp, and then got upset when other lease members drove by them on their way to fill feeders.

In the words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: Aggie Hunter '15] #4616198 09/30/13 07:48 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Ethan Boyd
I don't think it's much of an overreaction. It does affect hunting if it's close enough. There's plenty of time between morning & evening hunts for messing around. It's a respect thing

I think you hit the nail on the head!

Evidently those who are doing the shooting and running around don't bow hunt, so they don't respect your right to bowhunt.
Ask them if it would be okay with them if you did the same to them while they are hunting?
Sounds like a meeting is in order to clear the air and lay down some ground rules.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: Texas Dan] #4616208 09/30/13 07:51 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
You are soooo wrong. Shouldn't matter where they hang stands. Don't go fill feeders until mid day during season. Fact is if I fill my buck tag early and am just going to the lease to fill feeders and or work I sure as heck don't drive around while others are out hunting. That is a complete lack of courtesy. You can fill feeders after 10am and before 4pm and not disturb the bowhunters. Some people think they are the only ones on the lease.
You would be hissed TD if I was out walking around quail hunting during your rifle hunting outings. Dog running around, shotgun blasts making your deer skittish. Then you would complain about quail hunters. Golden rule, don't want it done to you, don't do it to them.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: passthru] #4622793 10/02/13 02:37 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I am an old fellow, no kids and don't like other guys. I would be interested in finding a lease that is composed of attractive gals who like hunting and can cook, and I really don't care about their etiquette or noise they make. Skinny dipping at midnight is OK and heck, if they want to keep me awake that is OK. I am just there for the spirit of hunting, getting out in the woods, etc, not important whether I take any game home. I even have a couple of chain saws they can use to help them gather wood for the campfire. I don't mind if they borrow my truck or ATV as long as they clean it and return it with a full tank of gas. They can fill the feeders whenever they want. Size of area being hunted doesn't matter and if several of us have to share the same crowded little blind that is ok. If any of you malcontents can help me I would be grateful. Nothing more, just grateful. banana

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: rofd1374] #4622893 10/02/13 03:03 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I am not a fan of shooting just to be shooting during any type of deer season. It is a hunting lease and not a shooting range. People that come out and sight in their rifles or pistols or hunt rabbits or any other minor species of animals during deer season sort of crank me. There is plenty of time before or after deer season for all of this. I go to the lease for peace and quiet and if a war breaks out, I am plenty ready to go home and if it happens enough times, I would be willing to look for another lease. Just my opinion.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: blackcoal] #4622908 10/02/13 03:06 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
There is plenty of time to be at the lease and shoot off rounds. When somebody is hunting then the other guys just need to hold on. Them being hunters themselves should understand that. I don't think you're blowing anything out of proportion.

Also yes I agree, I don't think that shooting scares deer much, but I could be wrong. I just know when I dove hunt behind our house around the tank, deer will walk up the bank and just stare.

Seems if they want to shoot, they can...but as long as somebody isn't currently hunting.

Was sittin in the stand with a buddy last year one evening. The farmer drove in to feed cattle, he saw us in the stand and immediately hit his breaks. We waved him to go ahead and feed the cattle, it wasn't a big deal to us at all. 2 hours later when it was finally dark he came driving back. The man knew we were hunting and decided to stay out there until he knew we were done...he respected us. And I respect him for that.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: Featherduster] #4623227 10/02/13 04:14 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: passthru
You are soooo wrong. Shouldn't matter where they hang stands. Don't go fill feeders until mid day during season. Fact is if I fill my buck tag early and am just going to the lease to fill feeders and or work I sure as heck don't drive around while others are out hunting. That is a complete lack of courtesy. You can fill feeders after 10am and before 4pm and not disturb the bowhunters. Some people think they are the only ones on the lease.
You would be hissed TD if I was out walking around quail hunting during your rifle hunting outings. Dog running around, shotgun blasts making your deer skittish. Then you would complain about quail hunters. Golden rule, don't want it done to you, don't do it to them.

Best one right here. If you don't want it done to you... Then don't do it to anyone else!! Simple!!! Several years ago I was on a lease where the guys stayed up ALL night long getting drunk off their A$$ and playing music super loud.. Not many got any sleep. Well, after that mornings hunt when they wanted to sleep off the nights drinking... I cranked my radio as LOUD as it would go playing Marilyn Manson.. Several came out and asked me to turn off, I promptly told'em why I was doing it and they could kiss the fattest part of my butt!! They got the point and the all night party's stopped.
Now having said that I'm older now and wouldn't give them a taste of how it feels come opening day of general season, but it would be in the back of my mind if they did that crap again

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: Sniper John] #4623307 10/02/13 04:34 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
The rules on my lease are....well I make all the rules.

This is why I paid a little extra and took the whole lease to myself. I control who comes on and when they are there.

If one finds and starts their own lease and then fill the lease manager role, cards on the table, your rules should be clear to members before they sign on.

Did you make up a contract or list of rules for members BEFORE they got on the lease that includes no firearms, or are you making the rules up for them as you go. If rofd1374 is just verbally making them up, or assuming they know what he expects, he probably needs to give them a written set of guidelines they can refer to. Otherwise he is destined for a miserable season butting heads with all the new guys and their kids.

Maybe I didn't make it clear in my sarcastic post (darn sarcasm!)

I took the whole lease to myself, paid the whole fee so I am the only hunter. I can bring on guests as I see appropriate, and I know who is on the lease at all times because if someone is there, I brought them.

I did this because I have kids, who love to hunt, and didn't want anyone else worried about my kids actions. I have family who I take out and hunt, and didn't want to worry about them shooting off anyone's lease quote but mine. I have a dog I like to take out and let run, and didn't want to worry about someone else mad with her. the list can go on and on...

But bottom line is, I lease the land myself and I control what goes on there (within the limits of a lease of course, land owner rules the roost)...

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: blackcoal] #4623337 10/02/13 04:38 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
I am an old fellow, no kids and don't like other guys. I would be interested in finding a lease that is composed of attractive gals who like hunting and can cook, and I really don't care about their etiquette or noise they make. Skinny dipping at midnight is OK and heck, if they want to keep me awake that is OK. I am just there for the spirit of hunting, getting out in the woods, etc, not important whether I take any game home. I even have a couple of chain saws they can use to help them gather wood for the campfire. I don't mind if they borrow my truck or ATV as long as they clean it and return it with a full tank of gas. They can fill the feeders whenever they want. Size of area being hunted doesn't matter and if several of us have to share the same crowded little blind that is ok. If any of you malcontents can help me I would be grateful. Nothing more, just grateful. banana

Me too!!! I like that idea!!! up

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: Texas Dan] #4623341 10/02/13 04:39 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
This also goes back to something I said early in the thread. If you are a bowhunter, look for a lease where everyone bowhunts. If you not a bowhunter, look for a lease where everyone does not bowhunt. If you don't have kids don't get on a lease where everyone else is bringing kids. If your an old guy, don't get on a lease with a bunch of young guys, and so on. If most on the lease don't bowhunt, the lone bowhunter telling the majority with kids that their kids have to stay in camp and not make any noise could be taken as discourteous to the kids. And people do tend to get very defensive when it concerns their kids. I would be tactful in how you present it, especially if there is only a couple bowhunters in the group. I know on my lease as the lone bowhunter if I tried to involk a rule of no shooting during bow season, after season I would probably be politely told my time on the lease was over. I enjoy my lease and enjoy who I hunt with, so I go with the majority and with our designated range safely in camp that is in a visibly open area with a safe backstop and not out in the hunting area, smart enough not to put up a bowstand in the areas we hunt small game and dove, and so no one shooting around my bowstand, it is not a problem anyway.

It's really sad the hunting community has often become so divided, but your comments are spot on. I remember when two bow hunters hung stands near a major road to/from camp, and then got upset when other lease members drove by them on their way to fill feeders.

Yes, and not driving by a stand while someone is hunting it to fill feeders is a nice place to start.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4623628 10/02/13 05:52 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Yes, and not driving by a stand while someone is hunting it to fill feeders is a nice place to start.

If the driving is before 10 a.m. or after 4 p.m. I would say that it's just wrong!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease [Re: Jimbo] #4623633 10/02/13 05:55 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Dan doesn't think it's possible to wrong a subhuman bowhunter....

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide