Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: ryorgensen] #4597771 09/24/13 08:35 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: ryorgensen
How old are you? 18...19. .? I've been laughing at you. It's funny how brave computer nerds are but in real life there a puss..now back to the high lease prices please. Good day fella.

Do you often clap uncontrollably at things that amuse you?

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Daven] #4599432 09/25/13 05:24 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Daven
Way leases go around this area (and just about everywhere in Germany I guess)is, a hunter or group of hunters lease an area (200-3000+ acres?)..... That area is either privately owned or some kind of public land or even mixed with several farmers/landowners involved. They usually pay a bunch of money, but have exclusive hunting rights to that area (even individual landowners, if hunters, have to have permission to hunt their own land)..... If this area involves farmland, the lease holders are responsible for crop damage and either have to kill a lot of game (usually pigs but varmints or whatever causes damage), spend time building electric fences and repacking meadows that the hogs dug up then pay for damages they didn't prevent (usually a cap set?).... Then, are expected to react to phone calls 24/7 when an animal gets hit by a car or pigs move in and are wiping out a corn field in the middle of the night (or dinner, party, ballgame, etc).... They attempt to recoup their expenses by inviting folks in to hunt and charging in different ways... Some don't charge to hunt but keep the game/trophy and the hunter can buy it if he wants, some give the heart, liver, kidneys, and trophy to the hunter but charge for the meat (by weight of the field dressed carcass).....
There are some easier ones like the one I've been offered and may take after I verify everything I was told is actually in the contract.... just over 200 acres at a modest price all owned and maintained by the city (county may be a better word?).... No damage fees, no phone calls, county builds/repairs and places stands and maintains the forest. You are not allowed to cut or clear without permission but if it makes sense to the forest meister, the county will do it for you.... Conditions are, you have a kill plan and are told what you have to kill minimum and a max you can kill (in this case, no limit on pigs and varmints and a by sex and age requirement for roe deer. All pigs and deer killed belong to the county but the heart, liver, kidneys, and trophy are yours.
Unless these areas are on/in a military installation or some other restricted area, you deal with the public walking jogging, bicycling, horseback riding, etc thru the area at will (this country is laced with public access trails). Not unusual for you to be in a stand and a group pass by.... Or stop and chat or intentionally make noise to scare off any game for the next few hours....
Maybe you folks' conditions and prices ain't all that bad????

Agree, ours are not bad at all. Let's see, for $1,700 within 2 hours of my house in the city, I got a few deer, few turkey (only went once), few ducks (only went twice and you better shoot straight or was embarrassing), dove (limit each time), predators, and hogs last year. And a place to stay with electricity. Not bad at all. And a 7 lb bass.

The tradition there is great though. Hopefully you get at least a shoulder. Last time i was there the people we stayed with were hunting when we picked them up from the woods. Too bad I was not into hunting them though.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: redchevy] #4599459 09/25/13 06:14 AM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Red Chevy , I own some of the land I hunt on and my neighbor owns the rest. I help him cut hay or whatever he needs help with and in return ,my wife,kids, and I get to hunt,fish,ride our horses ,etc on his property . But honestly after 14 years he is like family.
For the record, I am not mad at you either.please excuse my harsh comments to you. Congrats on your degrees and marriage as well. I've been married 22 years and it took about 10 yrs but my wife now loves to bowhunt.

Robert
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: ryorgensen] #4599579 09/25/13 11:57 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I think leasing is a wonderful thing for those leasing most times. I mean, 24/7 access to a great place for $1000-3000/year, what's not to like?

I have been on two great leases totaling over 35 years. The only downside was losing them after having them so long the land felt like it was a part of my family.

That sick feeling was a major factor in my decision to buy my own place.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: ryorgensen] #4599739 09/25/13 01:06 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: ryorgensen
Red Chevy , I own some of the land I hunt on and my neighbor owns the rest. I help him cut hay or whatever he needs help with and in return ,my wife,kids, and I get to hunt,fish,ride our horses ,etc on his property . But honestly after 14 years he is like family.
For the record, I am not mad at you either.please excuse my harsh comments to you. Congrats on your degrees and marriage as well. I've been married 22 years and it took about 10 yrs but my wife now loves to bowhunt.

i met cameron, it is his real name, i watched him almost backflip a UTV out of the bed of his truck in my driveway, he stood it up tall on its hind legs, which was pretty awesome. he is not an accountant.

Last edited by jshouse; 09/25/13 01:20 PM.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txtrophy85] #4599810 09/25/13 01:27 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
the landowners are doing it cause they need the money, not cause they enjoy it....

Painting with a pretty broad brush aren't you?

The dollars that I have received from my lessees have enabled me to turn a wildlife desert into a hunting paradise....well, not yet, but we are working on it.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4599851 09/25/13 01:47 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I think leasing is a wonderful thing for those leasing most times. I mean, 24/7 access to a great place for $1000-3000/year, what's not to like?

I have been on two great leases totaling over 35 years. The only downside was losing them after having them so long the land felt like it was a part of my family.

X2 we hunted the same property for over 20 years. We got off of it in 2009, the owner passed in 2008 and left it to her son that also lived on the place. We got along with the son well but knew it wouldn't make the next generation and the son was already in his mid 60's. We gave up our spot and some family of mine took it over, they have been on it ever since and are happy as can be. When the current owner passes it will be sold though who knows how long that will be 2 years or 20.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: redchevy] #4599964 09/25/13 02:23 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy

X2 we hunted the same property for over 20 years. We got off of it in 2009, the owner passed in 2008 and left it to her son that also lived on the place. We got along with the son well but knew it wouldn't make the next generation and the son was already in his mid 60's. We gave up our spot and some family of mine took it over, they have been on it ever since and are happy as can be. When the current owner passes it will be sold though who knows how long that will be 2 years or 20.

can you get me a listing? grin

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: aeb] #4599972 09/25/13 02:27 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: aeb
the landowners are doing it cause they need the money, not cause they enjoy it....

The dollars that I have received from my lessees have enabled me to turn a wildlife desert into a hunting paradise....well, not yet, but we are working on it.

exactly my point. you are being able to do with your proceeds from leasing that you couldn't/wouldn't have done without it.

i'm not trying to say that landowners are in dire straits financially and they 100% have to have lease money to survive, but the income is important to them. if it wasn't, then there would be no reason to lease.

I know one landowner who leases one ranch out(900 acres)for anywhere between $50k-70k a year. that's serious change. pays for college funds, new equipment, etc

if your not making money on the land its costing you money. Plain and simple. only question is are you willing/able to afford the operating costs?

Some are, and some arn't

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txtrophy85] #4600060 09/25/13 02:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: aeb

exactly my point. you are being able to do with your proceeds from leasing that you couldn't/wouldn't have done without it.

i'm not trying to say that landowners are in dire straits financially and they 100% have to have lease money to survive, but the income is important to them. if it wasn't, then there would be no reason to lease.

I know one landowner who leases one ranch out(900 acres)for anywhere between $50k-70k a year. that's serious change. pays for college funds, new equipment, etc

if your not making money on the land its costing you money. Plain and simple. only question is are you willing/able to afford the operating costs?

Some are, and some arn't

trout You are not much of a real estate broker if you have not sold that guy a ranch yet for the same money he is wasting on a lease at that price. That's serious waste.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: stxranchman] #4600070 09/25/13 02:58 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
lmao. you sure are a spinster of words sir.

he owns the ranch. I should have clarified that he gets that money from outfitters for HIS 900 acres.

he doesn't hunt much in the states but does go to Alaska and Africa on occasion.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txtrophy85] #4600994 09/25/13 07:37 PM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
70k a year..wow..the outfitter and /or leasee should buy his own ranch for that kinda change...

Robert
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txtrophy85] #4601611 09/25/13 11:05 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
lmao. you sure are a spinster of words sir.

he owns the ranch. I should have clarified that he gets that money from outfitters for HIS 900 acres.

he doesn't hunt much in the states but does go to Alaska and Africa on occasion.

confused2 So he owns the ranch and then leases it from himself then sells hunts to an outfitter? scratch So he is not leasing it but outfitting it to outfitters. juggle nuts

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txshntr] #4602123 09/26/13 01:20 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
Leased for 30 years but I have come 180 degrees since becoming a landowner. Having a bunch of people with full 24/7 access to your property is my idea of a nightmare. I couldn't stand the thought of running into other random folks on my place and being OK with it-almost no matter what they are willing to pay. Plus, like it or not, the number of "jerk" hunters is way more than it used to be.

So it doesn't surprise me lease prices have gone up a lot.

It is amazing what some hunters will do and say and then act surprised when you kick them off you land.

I can't imagine leasing land to hunt. Why not just buy land? For a lot of these lease prices, you can buy land.

What can I buy for $3200 a year?

Save that $3200 a year (and annual increases) for 20 years (and invest it wisely) and you should be able to get a nice piece of land. If you know how to do compute the future value of money, it would show you that your savings would be over $180k with a 10% annual return. Land is a lot cheaper when you can pay cash.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Pittstate] #4602198 09/26/13 01:37 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
So, I should quit hunting for 20 years?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txshntr] #4602223 09/26/13 01:42 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Ask your wife that question? wife grin

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txshntr] #4602257 09/26/13 01:49 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

lol...theres always the DCNF......

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: jshouse] #4602375 09/26/13 02:18 AM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I miss living in the south. National forests everywhere, reasonable hunting leases, everything fairly close by. Such an industry in Texas. At some point hunting will be a rich man's hobby!

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: 71Rcode] #4602443 09/26/13 02:38 AM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I do not believe it will ever be a rich mans hobby, there are wealthy men who hunt, that made their wealth long after they became hunters. It is simple supply and demand, the baby boomers ( which my dad is a member) are hands down the largest hunting generation. They have hunted for a long time, also have been smart with their money. Most of them have come to the conclusion that hunting makes them happy and they have worked hard to ensure their happiness as well as their family's happiness, so after griping about the expense of hunting, they go ahead and just pay the cost. And well I just figure out a way to pay mine to, because after all, its the one thing my dad and I love to do together. What can I say my dad put an awful curse on me as a child, the curse of hunting, and I love him for it!!

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txshntr] #4602454 09/26/13 02:39 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

Do as you wish....I am not going to!

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Pittstate] #4602466 09/26/13 02:41 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Please tell me where I ca n buy land to hunt on for $1200. a year? besides far west Texas

It is amazing what some hunters will do and say and then act surprised when you kick them off you land.

I can't imagine leasing land to hunt. Why not just buy land? For a lot of these lease prices, you can buy land.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Pittstate] #4602469 09/26/13 02:43 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I will add this tidbit....hunting and leases are cheaper than golfing and memberships around the DFW area. I quit golfing because of the cost. I can get a membership in Nebraska for less than $500 a year. Guess who is going to start golfing again?

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: hoof n wings] #4602499 09/26/13 02:48 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
Please tell me where I ca n buy land to hunt on for $1200. a year? besides far west Texas

Let's see. My first two years in Texas I killed deer north of Decatur in the LBJ Grasslands. I killed turkey there about 5 years in a row with one year I killed one on Lewisville (again, free hunting). I killed probably 400 ducks on Lewisville and Lavon in 8 years (really just 5 years because I hunted private the last 3 I was there). I probably killed 300 to 400 doves on Lewisville. The hog hunting on Lewisville and Lavon is about as good as it gets. The only problem is the people that cheat with guns and baiting (some even use traps). Just sit on a trail that leads to their bait site.

I am not saying public is easier than private, but with a lot of scouting, you can bring home lots of limits.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Pittstate] #4602507 09/26/13 02:49 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Do as you wish....I am not going to!

You told me too!!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: 71Rcode] #4602525 09/26/13 02:53 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: 71Rcode
I miss living in the south. National forests everywhere, reasonable hunting leases, everything fairly close by. Such an industry in Texas. At some point hunting will be a rich man's hobby!

I think it is more supply and demand. Lots of people in the DFW area....seems to be more hunters than land to hunt. There are more people around DFW (if you count the full area up to Frisco and down to Mansfield) than Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and North Dakota combined!

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide