Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,362
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: fishon1017] #45231 12/14/05 02:56 PM
JohnWester Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
On the lakes that allow a temporary blind there is a 72 hour rule. In other words after 72 hours it has to be removed. I'm not sure why that rule would not apply to decoys. I'm sure a friendly letter,email, a copy of this post to Austin would not hurt and might give them a better understanding there is a need for a change in the rules/regulations reguarding this matter.

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: JohnWester] #45232 12/14/05 05:58 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
The process by the book is to send a letter to your state senator with your support for such a law. You can look up your state senator for your area at the following web site:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/fyi/fyi.htm, key in your address and select Senator from the drop down menu. It is important that ALL send a letter that believes in this, the idea is that they hear from all supporters.

I’m researching this and will follow up with the information when I have all the answers. I want to make it easy for everyone to send an e-mail to their Senator, so I’m trying to find one Senator we can send to. I have called my state senator’s office on this issue, and they said we all could send to my state senator’s office and they would forward on. However, each Senator typically specializes on certain issues, and I have requested for them to tell me which one handles Hunting issues. They though we should send our e-mails to the Senator Natural Resource Committee, I have a call into them and waiting to hear back. Also, earlier this week I send an e-mail to the TPWD. I wanted to get their thoughts on this, that we want to show our support as they are bring this issue to forefront for discussion of changes next year etc…My thought is that we send to the appropriate senator’s office, with a copy to the appropriate TPWD contact.

When I get more information, I will let you know. Let me know if you have a better idea, I’m no expert at this.

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: fishon1017] #45233 12/15/05 02:19 AM
N
nature boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
You should be able to tell if someone was there before you by the color of the water. If the water is muddy, chances are they where there, (if it was a guide who said he was there at first) Other than that i would say to bad.

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: Guy] #45234 12/15/05 02:42 AM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
You could start a PAC and a hire a couple of lobbyists to take the VP and a Supreme Court Justice on a duck hunting trip...never mind, that one has been done before.

But wait ! What if Tony & Dick had arrived at their favorite honey hole only to find someone else's dekes scattered all over the place. Then we would get that law passed

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: ndhunter] #45235 12/15/05 02:56 AM
N
nature boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
You know, i never though of that. Damn you are the brighest person i know.

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: nature boy] #45236 12/15/05 03:12 AM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I undertsand that the "Hammer" has some extra time on his hands, maybe we could enlist his help with funding the PAC

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: ndhunter] #45237 12/15/05 03:18 AM
N
nature boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
I have no idea who or what the "hammer" is. Please tell me so i can make sense of what you are talking about

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: nature boy] #45238 12/15/05 03:23 AM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Ndhunter-You have to spell everything out for this cat. No joke! Hooked on phonics still isn't working for him!!!!

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: txcornhusker] #45239 12/15/05 03:27 AM
N
nature boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
My friend, where have you been and thanks for the help.

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: nature boy] #45240 12/15/05 03:31 AM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've just been waiting around here for you to show back up! How have you been? See you haven't put a bullet in the brain pan yet(all the CU stuff)!

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: nature boy] #45241 12/15/05 04:04 PM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
"The Hammer" = former House majority leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.)

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: Guy] #45242 12/21/05 03:57 PM
T
TPWD Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Hello Forum,

Guy gave me a call yesterday about this issue and brought it to my attention. I work for TPWD and manage their legislative program at the Capitol and serve as a liason between the department and the Legislature.

After speaking with Guy I started to do a little checking and we are in the process of trying to determine if this change could be achieved through an act of the Commission through a rules change or do we have to have a piece of legislation filed and passed by the Legislature.

When I was talking with Guy on the phone I was somewhat skeptical that the Department could achieve this fix on it's own without legislation, but now we may be able to submit a new rule or change in April for adoption in August and the prohibition on leaving decoys out overnight on public land could be in place for the 2006 season.

I would suggest that 1)you write your local senator and representive and ask them for their support in seeking a rules change from TPWD on this issue. Ask for a response, remember they work for you. If it is determined that we cannot do this by rules change, The Dept. will let your senator and rep know and we would suggest legislation that would accomplish this goal.

2) Copy your letter to the Senate Natural Resources Committee, P.O. Box 12068, Austin, Texas 78711 and the House Committee on Culture, Recreation, and Tourism, P.O. Box 2910, Austin, Texas 78768. These committees are the oversight committees in charge of TPWD. All legislation affecting TPWD usually goes through these two committees.

3) Send a copy to TPWD, Regulations Committee, 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, Texas 78744

4) Stay up to date on the Commission's agenda in August and come by the commission meeting and testify in favor of the requested action you desire.

Hope this helps!

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: Guy] #45243 11/17/06 04:38 AM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I see that you still have the same strong feelings about leaving dekes out on public land

You need to resurrect your legislative agenda, you got my vote

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: ndhunter] #45244 11/17/06 12:43 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Are we beating a dead horse yet?

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: ducknbass] #45245 11/17/06 01:59 PM
S
Sethfish Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
DECOYS HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS YOU TO BE ON AND USE PUBLIC PROPERTY. YOU GUYS ARE ALL A BUNCH OF DECOY RACISTS. IT'S ABOUT TIME THE DECOYS WERE TREATED BETTER, NO MORE BEING CRAMPED IN A MESH BAG FOR MONTHS ON IN JUST TO BE TOSSED IN COLD WATER EARLY IN THE MORNING, HAVING WEIGHTS TIED TO THEM SO THEY CANNOT RUN FREE, TODAY I AM MAKING A STAND FOR THE RIGHTS OF PLASTIC WATERFOWL.

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: Sethfish] #45246 11/17/06 02:11 PM
B
birddog14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
try the Chewbacca defense that they used on South Park

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_Defense

green is good
Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: birddog14] #45247 11/17/06 02:43 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
What memories, this was my first ever post on the THF!! I joined the THF just to make this post, in hopes of planting a seed that would grow into a ban of this practice. I sent my letter to my state rep, I should do some online petition like CHC did in the “open” forum.

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: Guy] #45248 11/17/06 03:04 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

What memories, this was my first ever post on the THF!! I joined the THF just to make this post, in hopes of planting a seed that would grow into a ban of this practice. I sent my letter to my state rep, I should do some online petition like CHC did in the “open” forum.

You did one heck of a great job on this one, you sure you are not a lobbyist? Just kidding, but you really got a ball rolling on this issue.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: dogcatcher] #45249 11/17/06 03:18 PM
S
Sethfish Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Quote:

Quote:

You did one heck of a great job on this one, you sure you are not a lobbyist? Just kidding, but you really got a ball rolling on this issue.

the response should not surprise you as Duck Hunters we care more about the total sport, population number, whether to take only male birds, enviromental conditions, etc. We care a whole lot more than deer hunters, or turkey hunters, or quail hunters..

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: Sethfish] #45250 11/17/06 04:35 PM
C
chrisboc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I just wanted to cover all the different places this is being discussed. I'm glad someone from TPWD has noticed it if that's for real.

If I show up and they are already out I will just add mine to the spread, wait for the confrontation, somebody will get pissed, somebody will get shot, etc..

Any of you guys that really think that this is ok on public waters are crazy. I know everyone of you would be pissed if you walked into this situation. Even the holier than thou group.

We should all know better.

Private pond yes. Public lake no.

We all know the rules. Whoever shows up first gets the spot. MAN LAW!!!!!!

I for one have really seen enough of this stupid conversation.

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: chrisboc] #45251 11/17/06 04:57 PM
S
Sethfish Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Easy there Chris. We have to set up our decoys the night before. It takes two or three hours to thether all those pen raised live mallards to the anchor posts. Check the knots so they don't fly away. It is really heartbreaking when you come the next morning and see Guy and TexasHeat walking out with all your decoys on the strap.

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: chrisboc] #45252 11/17/06 05:13 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I just wanted to cover all the different places this is being discussed. I'm glad someone from TPWD has noticed it if that's for real.

It is for real. Send me a PM and I will send you his contact info, you can talk to him yourself. I did a lot of networking to find him, and he spent a lot of time talking to me about it on the phone. He was very supportive, you could tell he really liked his job. He originally said I could post his name and contact info on the THF, and have people send him letters. But then the next day, he signed up to the THF and made his own post, to my surprise, he probably later thought it would be best to direct mail to our legislators vs him. I have yet to run into a situation where hunters leave their deeks out over night this year, when I do I will move on to the next spot and let the duck gods take care of them, which they will!

Quote:

If I show up and they are already out I will just add mine to the spread, wait for the confrontation, somebody will get pissed, somebody will get shot,

I hope you don't really mean that, it would be a good way to ruin your life over a duck. I got bent sideways over it, and realized after it was done that I was not smart. I leanred my lesson.

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: Guy] #45253 11/17/06 05:25 PM
T
TexasHeat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
F em......... I love confrontation!
You want to be a P R I C K and setup on top of me, sky bust and blow your kazoo or leave decoys out you can rest assured I will say something you might not want to hear! If said person wants to play Billy Jack............BRING IT!

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: TexasHeat] #45254 11/17/06 05:45 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Playing Billy Jack is one thing, guns is another! Think about your kids and maybe you will realize I’m right. I think you should say something to these types, but it is just smart to avoid confrontation when guns are involved.

All you Deek-Leaver-Outers, see what you’re dealing with? Pick up your deeks man! While you're still alive!

Re: Hunting Etiquette - Decoys Left Out Over Night [Re: Guy] #45255 11/17/06 06:20 PM
C
chrisboc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
It was a hypothetical story.

Basically describing how things get out of hand.

TH, me you and Seth have got to go hunting. We will have a blast!!

By the way, is anyone going to be leaving some Gadwall or Widgeon dekes out overnight. Seth shot all of mine thinking he had a good skillet shot lined up.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide