Re: Deep thoughts [Re: rifleman] #4515738 08/27/13 11:39 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: rifleman
You won't even let him give you a rough score of deer that get passed up? grin

Heck you know I can't stop it entirely I just try to take the focus off of it. smile

That kid video is awesome for sure!

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Jkd106] #4515762 08/27/13 11:58 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jkd106
Well I have pondered this on my own for awhile, now its time to involve yall.
Do you think the way hunting has been publicized, over the past few years has hurt you as a hunter or helped you? Let me explain, take television, majority of hunting shows focus on trully monster deer and mystical places. So now peer pressure makes us want to kill big deer, which makes us spend more money, which creates more stress, which makes it harder to enjoy the reason we started hunting. So you see where this is leading, just take a moment and give me your thoughts, but before you do, reflect for a minute on hunting when you were a kid.

Shot my first buck over 50 years ago and the quest for horns has never left me. I might add that buck was shot with a 300 Weatherby. The last buck I took a shot at was around 5 years ago (300 Weatherby), haven't seen one big enough to shoot since. I was hunting horns long before these shows started popping up.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: scalebuster] #4515776 08/27/13 12:06 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
IMO, the increased commercialization has hurt our sport more than it has helped it. While we now have more tools and equipment available to us, few of them are truly critical to success. Still, they can make it much easier to harvest a deer, but at the expense of hunting skills that our ancestors depended on when such things were not available. There is little question that greater attention on hunting has made the average hunter much more knowledgeable on wildlife habitat and conservation. But on the down side, that has created a self- serving level of elitist who feel their methods and knowledge are beyond those of the common man. As a result, there is more division within the hunting community than ever before.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Texas Dan] #4515846 08/27/13 12:32 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
As a result, there is more division within the hunting community than ever before.

Theres only division if you allow it.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: HWY_MAN] #4515885 08/27/13 12:53 PM
T
toml_76 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
This is my first hunting season since 1988 (which was my only other hunting season). I am hunting to fill the freezer. If a trophy crossed my path along with other deer, I would rather take one of the smaller deer. I'd like to think it might spread the big deer's DNA just a little more.

So no, I'm not planning to be a trophy hunter.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: HWY_MAN] #4515972 08/27/13 01:19 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Quote:
As a result, there is more division within the hunting community than ever before.

Theres only division if you allow it.

The hunting shows I've watched are 90% advertisement and 10% hunting. They're ok to watch, but very annoying. They're geared to promote products with the promise of a big ole buck. I also believe every time a high fence goes up, division is created. So "allowing it", or not, usually is not an option. I like the journey, looking at the pics of 'my' deer as they mature, and as long as (at least) a piggy comes thru, all is good.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: talkturkey] #4516077 08/27/13 01:46 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Hunting TV has nothing to do with what I do, it is entertainment same as Honey Boo Boo and a baseball game. I don't care about age or score, will I shoot a big deer, sure if he's the first legal one out, I will also shoot a 2 yo 8 if its legal cause I can. I don't get any less excited about a doe, a turkey, a hog, or whatever it don't matter if I'm hunting and I kill the critter I'm hunting then I won. Unlike most people here a hogs life is not worth less than a deers life to me they are all renewable resources and are all the same to me.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: cmc] #4516166 08/27/13 02:08 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I pretty much dislike hunting shows and most anything about the commercialized hunting industry, except feed and when I say feed im talkin yellow shell corn and protein, not buck crack and indian corn.

I started hunting as a kid who wanted to shoot deer. I shot more than a few cabbage head 8's and don't regret a single one of them. All were young, probably the oldest 3.5. Looking back I had a blast and wouldn't change a thing.

What changed my view. One year I saw a baby baby 9 point buck, it was the first deer I had ever seen (while hunting) with more than 8 points, but it was tiny both body and horns and realized I wanted to shoot it just because of that little 3/4 inch long point. I ended up passing it, which was irrelevant because the gentleman who owned the place shot it as his last deer and past away shortly after. He was proud of that deer and I was really happy at that point in time that I didn't shoot it because he did and it made him happier than it would have me. The next year I shot my second biggest buck to date and my first mature buck, a 6.5 yo 10 point. Ever since I take out my deer killin on the does and try to hunt for mature bucks, but don't have any regrets about my deer slaughtering youth. I don't like to see little kids started out only hunting for mature bucks, to me they are missing out if that is the case. Guess it all depends on where your hunting though on several places my biggest deer are a dime a dozen.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4516179 08/27/13 02:12 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Generally your thoughts are the same as mine.

I have always sought the biggest deer I could but this numbers/score crap is ruining hunting. The hunting shows play a big part in a lot of what's wrong with hunting today for sure.

we score almost all of our deer, but its just trying to keep track of what we are doing and what works the best. The score doesn't mean much to me. Other than my two biggest deer most of mine probably barely break 100... although in my recent past I haven't killed many bucks.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: scalebuster] #4516192 08/27/13 02:15 PM
H
HIN Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Hunting should be a recreating outdoor activity. It's normal for the TV and media to get involved in anything today, and trying to stop that is impossible. The most important is how you feel inside. Focusing on your own whishes and goals will bring you a lot more satisfaction than doing what you are expected to do. Maintaining a balance between traditional and modern hunting is the key.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: redchevy] #4516271 08/27/13 02:31 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: redchevy

I have always sought the biggest deer I could but this numbers/score crap is ruining hunting. The hunting shows play a big part in a lot of what's wrong with hunting today for sure.

we score almost all of our deer, but its just trying to keep track of what we are doing and what works the best. The score doesn't mean much to me. Other than my two biggest deer most of mine probably barely break 100... although in my recent past I haven't killed many bucks.

The numbers themselves are not inherently bad in fact I have to admit they are a good shorthand way of giving someone a frame of reference on deer size.

But they quickly became the "be-all-end-all" for many folks and this is where they are hurting things IMO.

I can't exactly describe it but I know it when I see it. The example of a deer one was happy to shoot but then becoming disappointed in it after the numbers are crunched is the best way I know to illustrate what I mean.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4516320 08/27/13 02:43 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy

The numbers themselves are not inherently bad in fact I have to admit they are a good shorthand way of giving someone a frame of reference on deer size.

But they quickly became the "be-all-end-all" for many folks and this is where they are hurting things IMO.

I can't exactly describe it but I know it when I see it. The example of a deer one was happy to shoot but then becoming disappointed in it after the numbers are crunched is the best way I know to illustrate what I mean.

This is why I don't even care to score any deer. I am trying to get better at rough scoring deer on the hoof or in pics to just have that frame of reference, but to me, I am not going to get upset because my buck didn't make 130's or 140's and needed that extra point to do so...If I am happy with it, that's all that matters. And by golly, the first legal buck that walks out this year is hopefully going to be dirt napping due to my son's .243! I hope it is a certain buck that has been hanging out a lot or one better, but he will be thrilled with a spike too (although I may take the spike first).

I haven't been hunting deer long, but have been a long time outdoors fanatic and avid fisherman growing up, so I may buck the trend of adults who come to hunting later in life being all about score an what-not, but I don't consider myself an adult coming to hunting later in life, since I was practically raised in the outdoors. I feel sad that our culture has changed in such a way that my son and daughter can't walk to the local 20 acre empty plot and shoot brds with their bb guns without the cops being called on them. That's what I did growing up and it wasn't THAT long ago... confused2

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: HIN] #4516327 08/27/13 02:46 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I hunt WTails a whole lot less than I did "back in the day" of deer leases every year and sweatin' the small stuff of every last detail being a world stopper of an event. I love to reload & shoot my guns to the best of my ability and get out in the woods and escape the chaos around me. I really need to take up Hardcore Squirrel or Coyote Hunting...but hunting midwinter CottonTails in the briar thickets & creek bottoms of Northeast Texas with my snubby 38Spl stoked with 158gr lead semi wadcutters is probably the most fun of any Real Hunting I've ever done....up close and personal.

Since I have become primarily a meat hunter I usually focus on does, spikes & culls that the landowner had ID'd for me. But what I will really hunt hard for given the chance, is what my BiL calls "freaks" aka defective gene bucks with oddball or deformed racks. Would I take a mature 10 pt'er of course I would. I also concentrate more and more on Exotics...and could eat Axis & Elk yadda yadda over Beef any time I can get it.

As far as the Hunting & Fishing Shows influencing me, having been in the GunBidnizz as an insider...IMO they are not worth the time to watch and are simply a vehicle to shill a product just like any other advertiser.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Texas buckeye] #4516332 08/27/13 02:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
^^^^^^ I couldn't agree more. I miss the days when a good buck was whatever was on the ground and a REALLY good buck was what was big for that area and everyone knew what that was.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: redchevy] #4516585 08/27/13 04:00 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
For the most part I do enjoy watching some hunting shows. Anything to do with hunting and I’m in.
But you really can't learn much from them because they are too busy pimping their sponsor products.

I’ve been hunting deer for 40 years now. I'm at a point in my hunting career that I would rather score on a big mature buck. I don't enjoy shooting the young bucks anymore just because their legal (been there done that).

I now get more enjoyment out of managing my lease and shooting bucks that have had a chance to reach maturity.
As for the bucks score, to me it is nice and rewarding to have the tape put to them, so you can see how our hard work and commitment is paying off.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: scalebuster] #4516773 08/27/13 05:03 PM
L
LarryT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
I have more people wanting me to take them hunting. Don't think they know or realise you do't just go shoot one & how much time & money is spent throughout the year on feed & scouting.

LarryT

Simper Fi.

Once & Always
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: LarryT] #4516817 08/27/13 05:21 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: LarryT
I have more people wanting me to take them hunting. Don't think they know or realise you do't just go shoot one & how much time & money is spent throughout the year on feed & scouting.

Over the years I have taken some of the Airmen from Dyess AFB to our place. Most I have met though the VFW, so these guys have been in combat zones, some even shot at, but have no clue about hunting. It doesn't take long for them to realize that hunting costs money and time and lot of work.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: scalebuster] #4517096 08/27/13 07:12 PM
T
TEXAN1970 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I don't give two shits about what's on TV hunting to me is time with friends and family just like when I was a kid. The hunting shows are not reality , at least not for me anyway it so far from what we do that's called hunting. I don't care about a giant rack either I mostly hunt for meat. I can't say if TV has hurt hunting or not.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: TEXAN1970] #4517454 08/27/13 09:21 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I like many of you I have been hunting mostly deer for over 40 years and I guess you guys can call me a trophy hunter or horn hunter or whatever you want but I don' t believe I'll kill another deer unless its crippled or a really big buck. I don't care to eat whitetail ( after eating Axis,Elk and Oryx) so as much as I like photographing them I have no desire to kill a small or average buck. I'll take my kids or grand kids and help them but shooting WT"s don't do it for me anymore. After writing this I have to admit I've never killed a really big buck and the trophy leases and outfitted hunts are within my budget but I chose to spend my cash on exotic hunts. Baker

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Elkhunter49] #4517502 08/27/13 09:36 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I think some people need to realize that like watching a baseball game there are two teams, stop watching the hunting shows for the hunters watch em for the animals. The animals don't know they are on a show so what they are doing is what they do everyday which can teach you something. How a duck responds to a certain call or how a coyote may hunt mice in a field, you can learn things by watching the animals. Just because some guy is telling you how great he is and what product he uses doesn't mean you can't watch and learn from the animals.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: cmc] #4517504 08/27/13 09:37 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: cmc
I think some people need to realize that like watching a baseball game there are two teams, stop watching the hunting shows for the hunters watch em for the animals. The animals don't know they are on a show so what they are doing is what they do everyday which can teach you something. How a duck responds to a certain call or how a coyote may hunt mice in a field, you can learn things by watching the animals. Just because some guy is telling you how great he is and what product he uses doesn't mean you can't watch and learn from the animals.

Great point, well said

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: stxranchman] #4517513 08/27/13 09:41 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I missed a lot sleep before opening night of any hunt or hunting season since day one and still do today. I dreamed of killing a big deer 45 years ago when I killed my first buck (spike) and that has never changed everytime I go out. The excitement factor is just as strong today as it was then. Just nowdays I enjoy the actual hunt and the events that surround it just as much if not more. So no peer pressure, money or stress is driving me. I just love to hunt and my success is never judged by the antler size if I even kill a buck.

Well said

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: cmc] #4517656 08/27/13 10:43 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

The problem is they show very little of the animals.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: rifleman] #4517888 08/28/13 12:12 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

You learn that from spending time in the woods/pastures, not sitting on the couch watching a hunting show on TV.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: rifleman] #4517895 08/28/13 12:14 AM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Dogcatcher I agree but how often are you in the woods at 10pm on Tuesday in July?
Some show animals more than others but all more than a NBA game or some other waste of time on TV.

Last edited by cmc; 08/28/13 12:16 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide