Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: rifleman] #4459365 08/08/13 03:18 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I have been hunting for around 24 yrs and i have been lucky to have hunted in a lot of counties and have scene that this can go both ways as stated by others !!! If there is a chance that a spike that is on his first set of horns and is only 3 or 4 '' tall and has good mass and not all messed up to me i would rather wait and see what happens..... but it's hard to keep an eye on them and track them if your not high fenced ( IMO )
Also take in account that a spike might be one that is going to bread many does at all because it will most like be rejected by the doe or ran off by other bigger bucks .Just my .02!

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: stxranchman] #4459374 08/08/13 03:20 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
It takes away from the genetic argument, IMO. Ppl who never feed protein should have smaller deer than those who do.....

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: rifleman] #4459378 08/08/13 03:22 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman
It takes away from the genetic argument, IMO. Ppl who never feed protein should have smaller deer than those who do.....

Nope it just shows that feed is not the issue. Shows that even on low quality habitat or drought years that better genetics should outshine the poorer genetics.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: stxranchman] #4459395 08/08/13 03:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Your last paragraph is my point.

20years is a life time for most hunters.

We tried the spike harvest for 8 years(shooting 4-5 yearling spike/3pt to every .5 mature bucks).. all We did was elimate our buck herd. We switched to age only harvest and we broke the consistant 160. Fruits of those age restriction are really showing off 8-9years later with higher numbers of mature bucks.

With our lower densities we could really watch the history of our bucks. Spikes, 3pt 8pts etc.

Instead of hunting and seeing 1 mature 5.5 year old buck per 1000 acres we are seeing 3-5 5.5 year old bucks and hunting 1-4 6.5 year old bucks

Our deer have always exploded at 5.5 with many taking 20" jumps. Very rarely dId we ever see a deer not break 140 at 6.5.

Our success wasnt based off soley the stopping of spike harvest, our success was based up switching to higher whitetail value ag crops, and allowing bucks to actually mature/express their gene, and structuring the doe to buck ratio

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4459408 08/08/13 03:33 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Your last paragraph is my point.

20years is a life time for most hunters.

We tried the spike harvest for 8 years(shooting 4-5 yearling spike/3pt to every .5 mature bucks).. all We did was elimate our buck herd. We switched to age only harvest and we broke the consistant 160. Fruits of those age restriction are really showing off 8-9years later with higher numbers of mature bucks.

With our lower densities we could really watch the history of our bucks. Spikes, 3pt 8pts etc.

Instead of hunting and seeing 1 mature 5.5 year old buck per 1000 acres we are seeing 3-5 5.5 year old bucks and hunting 2-4 6.5 year old bucks

Our deer have always exploded at 5.5 with many taking 20" jumps. Very rarely dId we ever see a deer not break 140 at 6.5.

Our success wasnt based off soley the stopping of spike harvest, our success was based up switching to higher whitetail value ag crops, and allowing bucks to actually mature/express their gene, and structuring the doe to buck ratio

popcorn What would those results have been if you kept harvesting spikes and you still did all this? nidea

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: stxranchman] #4459420 08/08/13 03:35 PM
D
deedeetaylor Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
The average lease in Texas is less than a thousand acres. You can't control genetics, diet, water or disease on a low fence plot that small. Deer range over miles, not acres. The deer are moving about according to a variety of pressures and there are few residents on any single lease. So management efforts have to be on a county and state level. We pay TP&W to do that. I'm confident using their guidelines. I'm gonna try to keep a few deer near my lease during hunting season with a feeder and other amendments. And I hope to shoot one spike, one trophy buck and at least 2 does yearly. By obeying and following TP&W rules and suggestions, I think the deer population will continue to be strong. Those high fence places are on their own.

"The surest sign that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: stxranchman] #4459447 08/08/13 03:41 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Still have a lot less mature bucks.

Spike numbers are still about as consitant as they were before.

Biggest reason we stop shooting spikes was year after year the numbers weren't changing.

If we hadn't changed our ag crops I bet our deer wouldn't have that big of jump at 5.5-6.5 year mark.

We are also holding more mature bucks with it in the fall/winter. Those that's summer home range don't include our property

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: stxranchman] #4459465 08/08/13 03:48 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Also all those deer never live past 4 yrs of age in that study.

what is the reason for this?

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4459542 08/08/13 04:09 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Still have a lot less mature bucks.
But the bucks left would be a lot better scoring bucks and they would be breeding much bigger offspring.
Spike numbers are still about as consitant as they were before.
But you stopped shooting so do you not know what would have happened from years 8-????
Biggest reason we stop shooting spikes was year after year the numbers weren't changing.
Again. But you stopped shooting every spike so do you not know what would have happened from years 8-????
If we hadn't changed our ag crops I bet our deer wouldn't have that big of jump at 5.5-6.5 year mark.
That is a bet I would take if you were still shooting spikes. You can't feed good genetics out of bag or from a crop you plant.
We are also holding more mature bucks with it in the fall/winter. Those that's summer home range don't include our property
But how much better would the mature bucks you are holding be TODAY if you were still shooting spikes? You can't answer that because you stopped. I can stir

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: jshouse] #4459545 08/08/13 04:10 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Also all those deer never live past 4 yrs of age in that study.

what is the reason for this?

Study period is over and they have no need for those bucks nor do they have room in their pens for that many deer.

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: jshouse] #4459596 08/08/13 04:23 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
The unknown variables that could contribute to a yearling being a spike is the sole reason I never have and never will shoot one.

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: Play Maker] #4459606 08/08/13 04:25 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Play Maker
The unknown variables that could contribute to a yearling being a spike is the sole reason I never have and never will shoot one.

But wouldn't those same unknown variables still come into play on the rest of they yearling bucks that grew forked antlers?

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: stxranchman] #4459608 08/08/13 04:26 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

Nope it just shows that feed is not the issue. Shows that even on low quality habitat or drought years that better genetics should outshine the poorer genetics.

That wasn't in the protein graph they were selling....

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: rifleman] #4459616 08/08/13 04:28 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

But it was what they were selling when I was a seminar where they explained it in full.

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: Play Maker] #4459636 08/08/13 04:33 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
IMO, most cases of spike yearlings are caused by environmental conditions, not genetics. I hear hunters speak of having numerous spikes one year and very few the next, or vice versa, on the same property. This cannot be attributed to genetics.

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: Play Maker] #4459650 08/08/13 04:38 PM
J
JMalin Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
IMO, most cases of spike yearlings are caused by environmental conditions, not genetics. I hear hunters speak of having numerous spikes one year and very few the next, or vice versa, on the same property. This cannot be attributed to genetics.

I tend to agree with this. Body condition/age of the mother, how early the buck fawn was weened, and forage availability probably play just as much as a role as genetics in a first year buck being a spike vs. being a forky. I wouldn't specifically target them until I had met all other harvest goals for the year and still neeeded to remove some deer.

Last edited by JMalin; 08/08/13 04:38 PM.
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: stxranchman] #4459662 08/08/13 04:44 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

But wouldn't those same unknown variables still come into play on the rest of they yearling bucks that grew forked antlers?

Maybe, maybe not. A few questions. Was it born in May or was is born in late August? Was it the smallest in a set of tripletts? Did the doe die before it was fully weaned? What was the milk guality/production of the doe? I don't know the answer to these questions and they all play a huge role and could contribute to a yearling buck being a spike.

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: stxranchman] #4459670 08/08/13 04:46 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

If they did them they wouldn't be unknown...bucks from twins, later born, later to wean, from a less dominant doe, etc....

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: stxranchman] #4459676 08/08/13 04:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The issue has been beat to death on these forums, with the QDM worshipers saying the TPWD study is totally incorrect, and others like me who decide for themselves. I find merit in it myself through my own observations since AR's were first introduced in East Texas several years ago.

While I firmly believe in the need to harvest doe, I have seen nothing that has hurt our sport more than the QDMA's war on antlerless deer.

IMO, the TPWD department did us a tremendous favor by uncovering a method to remove inferior bucks sooner rather than later. But of course, the QDM flock with their "let every spike walk" mentality would have no part of it.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: stxranchman] #4459681 08/08/13 04:48 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

But it was what they were selling when I was a seminar where they explained it in full.

You should have asked for your $ back..grin bc it also would include a buck pulled back during its first set of antlers....you can't pull back up what you shoot....

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: rifleman] #4459715 08/08/13 05:00 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
You know what I got out of this post? About 99% of the members here claim to be meat hunters. Not only do they claim not to be trophy hunters, they marginalize them. Then all of a sudden everybody is an expert deer herd manager for trophy racks. If deer hunting has become this much work, maybe you ought to find another hobby. Or become a deer breeder and let your obsession become your vocation.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: Play Maker] #4459718 08/08/13 05:01 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Maybe, maybe not. A few questions. Was it born in May or was is born in late August? Was it the smallest in a set of tripletts? Did the doe die before it was fully weaned? What was the milk guality/production of the doe? I don't know the answer to these questions and they all play a huge role and could contribute to a yearling buck being a spike.

When it was born is not the question to ask since deer born along the gulf coast in April are still spikes and deer born in August in deep South Texas can still be 8 point yearlings. The answer is genetics not age. The same applies to nutrition to the buck, the fawn and the doe. If the doe had triplets and a doe had one fawn and the triplets all grew into 6 point or better yearlings and the one single fawn grew into a spike? Was it genetics or nutrition(if nutrition was the same for both does and fawns that year)? What if that smallest set of the triplets had 10 points and his brothers all had 6? Was it genetics or nutrition? If nutrition in drought years is the answer then why do herds that have lots of spikes still have lots of forked antler yearlings?
What you are doing shooting spikes is playing the percentages. Fewer spikes will become better deer than forked antler offspring will be. You need to read the report or go up to Kerr and sit thru a seminar.(they are free)

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: rifleman] #4459738 08/08/13 05:06 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You should have asked for your $ back..grin bc it also would include a buck pulled back during its first set of antlers....you can't pull back up what you shoot....

But grin if that buck pulled back on his first set of antlers was standing next to another buck with forked antlers his first set of antlers was it drought or genetics that effected them both? I have never questioned a shot I made on a buck, you are playing the percentages when you pull the trigger. IMO if you have to question really hard to keep or cull then you already now the answer.

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: stxranchman] #4459769 08/08/13 05:17 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
This topic always makes for an interesting discussion. No one is right and no one is wrong. You do what works best for you and I do what works best for me and we are both successful in producing quality deer while employing different techniques.

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: Texas Dan] #4459782 08/08/13 05:20 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
The issue has been beat to death on these forums, with the QDM worshipers saying the TPWD study is totally incorrect, and others like me who decide for themselves. I find merit in it myself through my own observations since AR's were first introduced in East Texas several years ago.

While I firmly believe in the need to harvest doe, I have seen nothing that has hurt our sport more than the QDMA's war on antlerless deer.

IMO, the TPWD department did us a tremendous favor by uncovering a method to remove inferior bucks sooner rather than later. But of course, the QDM flock with their "let every spike walk" mentality would have no part of it.

Of course this is your opinion you know nothing of QDM nor the rest of the states deer herds. On top of that you flip between being a meat hunter and then try to agrue TDM which doesn't make a ton of sense.

Ironically your support TWPD's QDM approach with supporting age structure, yet dive right in and embrace their TDM spike harvest. How can you blame QDM when you agree with them?

For the 500x QDM is not TDM. It is simply managing for the up most health and age structure of your herd. QDM is Protecting young bucks and the quest of an under CC and balanced Ratio herd.

You think you are ready and have the resources to implement a TDM plan? Hardly, not even close, hell only part of a TDM plan you know is spike harvest for the reason of Genetics...which makes zero sense if you don't have resources or time to implement it fully.

Your exactly what's wrong with the entire TPWD idea on blanket Management. You want to go straight for your buck tags, with zero regaurd for anything else.

As far as QDMA as a company, I no longer support them as a business do to their disregard for property owner rights in their political addresses.

QDM is a stepping stone into TDM. Having a balanced herd, that's under CC allows you to then Implement a TDM plan. Very few people have the ability or stomach to go full throttle into a true TDM plan from the start.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide