C
Csddarden Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Stompy
Originally Posted By: Csddarden
1. Ammo in carry-on at Houston Hobby Airport

2. If you're on a LARGE ranch that you do not know well and are put in a blind and the feeder doesn't kick... don't go walking around almost 40k acres looking for the next blind. The person that dropped you off aint gonna find you. Cell reception? Think again.

1 pack of sour cream and onion captains wafers, 2 bottles of water, 4 rounds of 7mag, 13 rounds of 40sw.... I was out there for almost 3 days. Saw all kinds of temperatures from below freezing to near 100 in mid-day. Managed to fill up water bottles at watertroughs, but it made me really really sick. Didn't have anything to boil it in. Got so sick I couldn't even stable my rifle for a shot. Starving and shaking from fever, I missed 3 does and had 1 round left in the 7mag. Thankfully a coon came by a watertrough I stayed at the 2nd night and I got him with the pistol. Haven't ate coon since, but that dang sure was good.

On the 3rd day, I finally saw the suburban that dropped me off cruisin the pasture I was in. Popped off a round every couple seconds from the pistol until they heard it and stopped.

I was over 220lbs when I was dropped off at the blind. When I was finally recovered, I was down in the 180's.

I knew ONE thing about this ranch and how to get out. Head north. That is what I did, but I never made it to the OXY plant on the northern border. I was so outa it by the time I was found, not even sure I was still heading north.

WOW!!! Heck of a story,,,Were they looking for you for the 3 days? Seems like they would have called GW and LE to help find you..

There was a large party out looking for me. More like 2 whole days and a half. I was picked up in the heat of the day. I remember this because I shed ALLOT of high-dollar hunting gear as I ran towards the suburban shooting my pistol. Gotta remember, it was dang near freezing when I got dropped off for the morning hunt. Not sure who all was involved in the search. Probably some fellas from the OXY-Terrell plant as well.

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Csddarden] #4417011 07/24/13 05:44 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Back in April it started raining about 3a.m. at the lease by 10 a.m. it was still raining so we decided to go into town to the gun shop. We came to the "normally dry" creek that now had water running in it. Being in a 4x4 Toyota pu (small one) I figgured what the heck, this ain't nuthin... The truck drowned out in the middle of the 4 ft deep creek and the water rushing against the truck brought the water level to about 2 in below the window. We sat there about 1 1/2 hrs hopeing it would go down, finally the rancher next door saw and came and pulled us out.

I felt bad about not stopping and at least asking my buddy if he thought we should try it...

Lesons learned, don't try and cross high water without KNOWING how deep it is.
My door seals are AWSOME, only about a cup of water leaked in.
And thankfully my truck doesn't float!

Last edited by RICK O'SHAY; 07/24/13 05:54 PM.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Texas Dan] #4417069 07/24/13 06:04 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
One of our customers was cutting hay one day in an open stage tractor and wasn't wearing a seat belt... not a law some do some don't... but woulda helped in this case.... he hit a bull hole and it flew him off the tractor onto the cutter side..couldn't get out of the way in time and ran him over...some how he managed to grab onto the tarp bar before getting ran over all the way and drug his self all the way to the end of the cutter and out of deaths way... he still holds some insane scars from that day though... half his cheek is gone and not off his face... hes lucky to be alive though

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Sneaky] #4417310 07/24/13 07:38 PM
B
bkj Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I second the knife is NOT a screwdriver!!!

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: bkj] #4417518 07/24/13 08:53 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Tractors can be dangerous as all get out. Nav do you wear the seatbelt all the time? What about the risk of a turnover and not being able to jump off? My PTO stops if you're not in the seat.

Just curious...

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4417530 07/24/13 08:57 PM
H
Humannpower Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Tractors can be dangerous as all get out. Nav do you wear the seatbelt all the time? What about the risk of a turnover and not being able to jump off? My PTO stops if you're not in the seat.

Just curious...

Sounds like a damned if you do damned if you dont decision.

Originally Posted By: M Bennet
Iv got hogs an can show you a good time.

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Sneaky] #4417537 07/24/13 09:00 PM
My stand is pink camo Offline
Kickingbird
Kickingbird
My Dad was hunting in Colorado many years ago. He shot an elk and was headed down a steep and rocky ravine when he slipped and rolled down. When he came to a complete stop the barrell of his loaded 30-06 was poking in his stomach

I will take a good rain or a new calf whenever I can get it -Jack Ratjen
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: My stand is pink camo] #4417664 07/24/13 09:39 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
That's spooky. glad he didn't get hurt (shot).

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Erathkid] #4418865 07/25/13 03:48 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
1. Shooting a hole in the ceiling/roof with your new "unloaded" .22 when your 10 yrs. old in my family means you don't see that prized possesion until you're 11.
2. Homemade slip-on silencers made from pvc pipe nipples and steel wool, travel quite aways when they aren't aligned with the bore correctly. (same .22, shortly after getting it back).
3. Shooting a skunk in the head at close range, in a small, confined space, will NOT stop it from spraying, and you won't be able to use your workshop for many weeks.
4. If you happen to find yourself in the back of a pickup with a couple of your best high school buds, a .270, and a spotlight, and you happen to drive by a field full of deer at around 0300, make sure it's not actually the neighbors' Black Angus bull before Eddie squeezes the trigger, it makes your allowance go away for many months and makes you sweat-A LOT!
5. Don't drink a lot of beer and dive off of the back your buddy's boat when it's beached in 18" of water, it makes your neck hurt and picking gravel out of your scalp is only fun for other people.
6. Don't drag a boat over an hour to a lake unless the boat key is in your pocket.
7. Don't hand your 10 yr. old grandson your gun if he can't see through the cheap scope on his, when he's looking at his dream deer! It scares the "stuff" out of him, makes him flinch, and makes the deer disappear, leaving you with a disappointed young man kicking himself and thinking it's his fault, all because he was scared of the gun. I still feel this was one of my biggest failings.
8. Don't shoot 250 lb. hogs in the shoulder with 110 gr. hollowpoints, it pixxes them off and makes them want to hurt you back.
8.a. Make sure your spotlight is fully charged before chasing pixxed off, wounded, pigs into West Tx. shinnery in the dark.
9. 9mm Makarov ammo will NOT chamber correctly in a High Power, even if it IS your CC qualifier course.

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: toolman] #4418906 07/25/13 04:05 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
This is an excellent thread!!! We can all learn from others mistakes!!! Thank you all for sharing!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Seadog] #4418965 07/25/13 04:51 AM
My stand is pink camo Offline
Kickingbird
Kickingbird
1. Do NOT let your older brother teach you how to pull the gun tight to get a closer look in the scope before you pull the trigger. It may leave a mark! Especially when older brother doesn't check to see if butt of gun is under your armpit.

2. Matches do burn twice. When your uncle asks if you believe if a match can burn twice, and you say no, he will prove a match will burn when struck and it will burn again when he blows out the fire and proceeds to push the match on your arm. It will burn twice! Lol. No I was not injured, just made for a good laugh smile

3. Do not wear roper boots with slick soles to hunt rattlesnakes and try to leap from one boulder to another. You will find yourself in between the boulders. God protected me here!!!

4. Don't drive down a trail that is too skinny for your SUV when it is 29 degress at midnite and your friend says it's fine to keep driving. Once your SUV is full of scratches and you try to back up, make your friend stand outside with a flashlight to look for the best route, you can't hear her so you open the trunk lid. She will not see the other tree branch that enters the SUV until I turn around and see a tree limb 4" from my face.

5. When you promise hubby to leave camp when everyone else leaves camp, then do so. Or you will find yourself all alone and standing 2 foot from a coiled up rattler. God protected me here too!

Last edited by My stand is pink camo; 07/25/13 05:05 AM.

I will take a good rain or a new calf whenever I can get it -Jack Ratjen
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4418970 07/25/13 04:54 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

Just curious...

No like I said its personal preferance but would have helped that day. In a turn over even there are to many things that could happen.. If it's nota bad one the rops will keep from crushing you if buckled in... If too much force then not much will stop that much weight... If not buckeled then you have the option to jump off or make a move quick but you have. To be familiar with equipment to know how and when to act and that's just not the case with every operator these days.... I dont wear one at all... Cant stand them while working but also don't like wearing them in a truck... Everything with safety is in the hands of the operator

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Navasot] #4421622 07/26/13 01:48 AM
B
Barcelona Rick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Fresh out of the Navy many moons ago I was deer hunting at my best friends place. They had property on both sides of a county road with their homeplace on one side. We had hunted the morning headed back to the house for lunch and I decided to drive back into town for awhile. We all left our rifles on the front porch unloaded. I step out and across the road is a nice buck...I slip a shell into the '94 take a careless aim and boom....perfect miss. Put the rifle in the car and head down the driveway...guess what ? There sits the Game Warden....I get out and hand him my license....we are talking and I am about to admit to my crime when "ka-boom"....Warden throws me my license...sprints down the road and sure enough two old boys are putting a doe in the bed of their truck.....never ever broke a game law again....

rick

Last edited by Barcelona Rick; 07/26/13 01:49 AM.
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4421646 07/26/13 01:59 AM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Just curious...

I have all kinds of equipment and I always wear the seat belt when I am doing more than just moving the equipment. If you wear the seat belt and it rolls you have to trust the ROPS, that is if you even have it on your tractor, which all mine do.

Walter

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Wburke2010] #4428820 07/29/13 04:18 AM
P
Punkin Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
Don't drink until your wife leaves you and then drive around for 3 days drinking and texting your Cop buddies about "what I'm gonna do."

Sounds funny until the punch line is I just started rehab, wife and kids are gone, and I'm lucky to have parents to be my support as I learn how to be a recovering alcoholic rather than an active one.

Scott
---
www.sheepdogtees.com
Apparel for Heroes, and Those Who Love Them.
www.know-love.org
Living the love of Jesus, that others may know Him.
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Punkin] #4428830 07/29/13 04:24 AM
P
Punkin Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
A little less depressing than the last one...

Dad and I had two young German shorthairs. We went out chasing quail in SE Colorado one nice November day (I believe is was November, early afternoon). Weather was in the 70's. I was in a t-shirt. We parked by the windmill in a pasture and started walking. We hunted a few hours, hunting thick brushy areas around windmills, then decided to head back to the truck.

It got colder and colder as it got close to dark. Then it started snowing. We finally got to the windmill. No truck. Crap, wrong windmill. Well, it must be one section (mile) further. Walked it, no truck. Now it's snowing, and snowing fast.

We walked about 1.5 miles south to the road, and headed west. We knew we'd hit the hwy in about 10 miles. I was FREEZING. By the grace of God, on a county road where I could drive back and forth for a week and never see another vehicle, about 1 mile further down the road, we looked back and saw headlights.

Couple of half drunk kids on a booze cruise picked us up and drove us west THREE MORE MILES, until we found the pasture where we parked the truck.

Intent on our dogs, we had walked about 5 miles further than we thought. I took my young shaking pup into the shower with me to warm both of us up.

Now...I overdress for every hunt, and carry a backpack. I got a gps for christmas that year, and dad has a "Find Me Spot" for when he hunts by himself.

We also never leave town without telling someone where we are going to be hunting and when we are coming back.

Scott
---
www.sheepdogtees.com
www.know-love.org
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Punkin] #4428835 07/29/13 04:28 AM
J
Jordan A Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
One time I shot a canvasback on a very very cold day out at a public lake. I had never needed to use anything to retrieve birds because I had always hunted over shallow water, or I figured the wind would blow it to the shoreline. Well of course there was no wind and it stayed right where it had fallen. I considered going in after the bird, but we are talking about 32 or less degree weather. I would of had to taken my waders off and hopped in and swam close to 20 yards. Then we would have had to make the mile walk back soaking wet (I say we because my girlfriend was on the hunt with me. She did not like the idea of me putting my own health at risk.) So Eventually I left it. I felt I had dishonored the animal and was not a worthy hunter because I was unable to retrieve it. I was pretty sick about it. I did not break the law however because I tried everything in my ability to retrieve it.

Also one time I had an accidental discharge of my rifle as I was loading my gun to get into the deer stand. It was a rifle I was not used to so I could not remember which way the thumb safety needed to be. There was only a color red or no color, it was dark and I always second guess whether or not the safety is on or off. So after putting it on, so I thought, I did a quick test to make sure it was on and bamm. The shot rang out in the dark went morning around 6 before the sun was up. I was shocked and pissed. I realized with my shotgun during duck season after I would unload my gun I would put it on safety and pull the trigger to make sure it was on safety. A very very very bad habit and muscle memory to get into. I realize, thats why this is the stupid mistake thread. Anyways I am much much more careful now. But I was careful enough from the beginning to have been following the other gun safety rules. My gun was pointed in a safe direction the whole time I was loading it. I could have been turning 180 degrees to the left and blown a hole in my truck. Who knows what damage it wouldve done to the truck and I.
Lessons learned.

“If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with the bird in its mouth.”
-William Maxwell
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Jordan A] #4428879 07/29/13 05:11 AM
P
Punkin Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted By: Jordan Alex
I could have been turning 180 degrees to the left and blown a hole in my truck.
Lessons learned.

Or 180 degrees to the right... <grin>

Scott
---
www.sheepdogtees.com
www.know-love.org
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Punkin] #4429102 07/29/13 12:58 PM
J
JakeJJ Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Punkin
Don't drink until your wife leaves you and then drive around for 3 days drinking and texting your Cop buddies about "what I'm gonna do."

Sounds funny until the punch line is I just started rehab, wife and kids are gone, and I'm lucky to have parents to be my support as I learn how to be a recovering alcoholic rather than an active one.

Good on ya for going to rehab. My dad is a recovering alcoholic. He's been sober for 15 years. Its not an easy road but it is doable. Good luck and God bless

We interrupt this marriage for hunting season.

USAF 07-Present
OIF 09-10
OSS 14
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: JakeJJ] #4429580 07/29/13 04:08 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
My dad pulled this one....

One day he takes my step-mom to help him fill feeders at the lease in Leakey. He is rushing because he was tired, and decides to go up a rickety aluminum ladder with 50 lbs of corn on his shoulder. (Dad weighs about 260) Needless to say, the ladder collapses and he comes crashing down on top of the deer block which he had dropped under the feeder. Broke two ribs and bruised his lung. It was a very long and bumoy ride to Wilford Hall from the lease. Moral of the story? Don't be in a rush and have someone hold the ladder.

Rob Valle
www.hillcotaxidermy.com
Originally Posted by Texsun
The three things you need in life are a good doctor, lawyer and taxidermist.

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: rob valle] #4429738 07/29/13 05:06 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Don't swim for $30 decoys. Don't drive around a property you don't know in fog at 2 am. Don't assume the ground looks hard enough. Don't trust the West Texas weather forecast. Don't tell someone the game warden will never show up when they just moved to the house bordering the property you are on (they were legal except their hunting documents were 360 miles away at their house). Triple check your backpack for ammo before going to the airport for a Mexico trip.

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: JakeJJ] #4429762 07/29/13 05:18 PM
F
FreerOrBust Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Good luck to you sir! I work at a rehab and I know it is not an easy conclusion to come to but it will be worth it. If you have any questions about being inside feel free to ask! and the answer to question "Can I have just one?" is no....

Just doing it for fun now.
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: FreerOrBust] #4433029 07/30/13 06:15 PM
Z
zederwatz Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Z
Buddy and I decided to do something about the skunk population and wanted to reduce the risk of rabies spread. So we used spotlight and pellet guns to do so. They weren't all one shot kills so sometimes we followed them thru the grass after they had sprayed. Got home that nite about 1:00 am and when wife opened front door I was informed to go to back door and better not have a stitch of clothing on and go straight to the shower. I spent the nite sleeping on the couch.

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: zederwatz] #4433847 07/30/13 10:17 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Went varmit calling at night with a friend on his family ranch west of Waco.

We called for a bit then he shined the spotlight and there were green eyes coming out of the brush about 100 yards away. He said those are coyotes shoot between the eyes, I shouldered the borrowed 7mm wby mag flipped the safety off and said you sure they look awful big for coyotes, he said shoot, something didn't feel right and I said if you want to shoot you do it I don't think they are coyotes. We drove closer and found a herd of bedded cattle. I was terrified to shoot anything the rest of the night!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: redchevy] #4434558 07/31/13 02:27 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I once asked ,"What would happen if you shot a deer illegally on corps of engineer land"...BIG mistake

Last edited by Erathkid; 07/31/13 02:27 AM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide