Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442605 10/03/08 02:47 PM
T
TX_Huntress Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Sabrinavonbach, I wonder if you ever had childhood friends, or have any friends now. Your responses in any thread seem to purposely antagonize, to elicit a specific response. I've typically seen this type of stuff from people who are very unhappy with themselves, and have the need to do such things in order to lift themself up.. like an abuser, you feel the need to squash others to make you feel better about yourself.

We're a friendly bunch here, and can have very lively discussions/disagreements without resorting to such useless belittling. I am referring to your remarks to Maggie(and others in various threads), btw. We don't care if you participate, most of us are adult enough to just dismiss your nonsense when it becomes just that, but it would be easier for us to even remotely consider your posts in a serious manner if you act/reply more like an adult and not a elementary school bully.

Last edited by TX_Huntress; 10/03/08 02:48 PM.

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

[Linked Image]
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: TX_Huntress] #442606 10/03/08 02:53 PM
S
Sabrinavonbach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
What statement seemed to upset you? We can discuss it reasonably. Was it the one about how many times pigs do attack because TPW and wildlife does not consider them dangerous animals and the number of true attacks while not zero is very, very low. Why is a statement of fact so upsetting?

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442607 10/03/08 02:59 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I think that I missed something, must be a carryover from other posts. Sounds like theres too many hens in the hen house.lol. Yall are cracking me up. Lets all just sit down and have a beer.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442608 10/03/08 03:06 PM
T
TX_Huntress Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
This one to Maggie, in this thread…
Quote:

And shoot whom? Someone you love who just got lost? Your favorite dog? A kid? Yep, sound really smart to me.

This one to Big Orn, in the Guide or Not thread…
Quote:

Your attempt at wit is puerile. In a head to head contest of verbal volleyball, I'd just make you cry and I really wouldn't like that.

There are too many others in various threads for me to list here. Really though, the one to Big Orn, that just absolutely smacks of immaturity. Do you think the use of “big” words makes you better thank anyone else? If you really want to converse with anyone here, you need to reevaluate your approach.

To the mod's.. I am done now.

Last edited by TX_Huntress; 10/03/08 03:07 PM.

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

[Linked Image]
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: kdub] #442609 10/03/08 03:06 PM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
How far are y'all walking to the stand?

[Linked Image]
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: TX_Huntress] #442610 10/03/08 03:11 PM
S
Sabrinavonbach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Do you feel better now?

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442611 10/03/08 03:17 PM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Quote:

Do you feel better now?

I always feel great, thanks for asking.

[Linked Image]
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442612 10/03/08 03:20 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
During duck season I walk anywhere from 50 yards to a mile to my blind. I used to get nervous, especially the night before a hog hunt, my buddy still plays music loud when we are camping and puts his hammock up high in a tree, lol. Now I don't find it very scary though, just wear snake boots, bring a good light, and a back up light, and you'll be fine.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442613 10/03/08 03:24 PM
B
BlackSnake Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Quote:

Do you feel better now?

Actually I have a little pain in my abdomen. I think its the onion rings from Burger King though.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: BlackSnake] #442614 10/03/08 04:22 PM
T
txhuntingguide Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
My 7 yr. old son and I had a brief stand off with a Badger with a bad attitude at dark last November. The 7 yr. old difused the situation with a well placed .22 mag. shot at 26 feet. That stupid badger started walking to us. Spooked both of us. He learned at 7 he is the top predator do to rational thinking. We gave the Badger about 45 seconds to make his move and when he started walking stiff legged and slightly sideways to us Hunter dispatched him quickly with no after thoughts. No fear but good lesson learned. Spiders,Rattlers, Teeth and claws get to me. Just keep your cool and your mind straight you will prevail. Understand your enemy and terain. Process fear for what it is and remain calm. Adrenalin is a fun and potent intoxicant. If it were a drug I would be an addict.

Life is a Highway. Don't take the wrong road twice. Take your time and enjoy it. Teach, love and support your family.
Hoyt Spyder Turbo
Gold Tip Velocities
HHA single pin, Ultra Rest
100 gr. Grim Reapers
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: txhuntingguide] #442615 10/03/08 05:03 PM
R
Redneck_Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I guess this means that all you guys would not be very comfortable sitting on the ground at the base of a tree in the dark. As a kid and teenager, that's the way we hunted. The walk in was easy because I usually had a flashlight to light the way. Once I got to the spot I was going to hunt, it was all about clearing the leaves to make for a quiet place to sit. And then it was lights out.

There was one morning that I became a little spooked when a few deer came up behind me. I could hear them walking through the leaves, but of course it was so dark that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I was 99% sure that it was deer because of the way they were moving. Well, I stayed put, and one of them got to the opposite side of the tree that I was sitting under and finally got a good whiff.

There was another time when my coon hunting buddy and I decided we were going to give predator hunting a try. We were only about 13 or 14, and he had just got this new cassette tape with the sounds of a distressed cottontail. It sounded easy. Well, we go find us a comfortable spot on the ground at the base of an Oak. The plan was to turn on the tape player, which was sitting at our feet, and every few minutes, he would nudge me, and then hit the light. At this point, when the light came on, I was to be ready to shoot anything in front of us. Well, he started the tape, and turned it up so loud that he & I could barely hear each other. I'm sitting there in complete darkness on the ground with the sounds of a distressed rabbit at my feet. It's a good thing that nothing was standing in front of me when he finally turned the light on. I can't say if I would have shot at it or just ran like hell. Anyway, I think I recall telling him that I didn't want to do that again.

Last edited by Redneck_Hunter; 10/03/08 05:08 PM.
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #442616 10/03/08 05:28 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Quote:

I guess this means that all you guys would not be very comfortable sitting on the ground at the base of a tree in the dark.

I don't think it means any such thing.
Some folks have admitted to having been
made nervous or get a "chill" from something
that was either a real, possible or imagined
threat. Speaking for myself, there's few places
I'm more comfortable than in the woods be it
dark, light or that special time in between.
The "thrill of the chill" is part of the fun.

PK

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: PKnTX] #442617 10/03/08 05:35 PM
D
DrPerry Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Ya know

I don't think that I'm scared but I am certainly aware of my suroundings.

And I am prepared to cope

JMHO

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442618 10/03/08 05:35 PM
B
BowHuntinTX Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Quote:

Do you feel better now?

I have a headache from work... But it's ok because I am leaving for the river in a couple of hours to do a little bowhunting this weekend (with my sidearm walking to the stand)...

[Linked Image]

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Burrito] #442619 10/03/08 05:51 PM
E
exoticbob Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
in the past i never used my flashlight during any any moon phase. i am usually in the blind at least an hour before sun up. i used to find it peaceful to walk in pitch black and try to remember the proper trail to the blind - UNTIL i walked right into the back of a bull one morning and SCARED the **it out me. needless to say, i have fallen in love w/ my flashlights. i still walk the last 100 yards or so w/ no light.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Burrito] #442620 10/03/08 06:30 PM
S
SteveO Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
heh... location: Victoria, TX - coleto creek....

nothing worse than walking back 1.5 miles through a sandy creekbed and thick woods to get to the campsite.. long story short, 1AM, opening morning we left to take a short creek ride to lay out corn and drink some beers... we got the POS Mule stuck in the sand (those things aren't built for sand) and tried getting it out for about an hour... the BIL was drunk, and didn't want to walk back... all i had for light was a cell phone, it was pitch black outside.... i knew where to go, but the animals i got around was freakin' wild. coyotes, snorting hogs, racoon shrieking - coming from every direction..... ho man.

i finally reached the campsite and drove back down to get him... he at least had his headlights still working on the mule, and a bottle of whiskey....

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: SteveO] #442621 10/03/08 06:31 PM
S
SteveO Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
oh. and so, no. walking to the deer blind doesn't scare me anymore.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: SteveO] #442622 10/03/08 07:31 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
The chances of actually being injured walking to the stand are probably less than most people handling the firearm they are carrying in a panic situation.

That said, most normal people have had the apprehensive tingling or cold shivers or whatever at some point. I generally don't carry a sidearm, except at the ranch in Real Co where it's mandated. Unless sometimes I am guiding and I take only a sidearm to free both hands for something else.

For everyone, I HIGHLY recommend the Streamlight Clip-Mate with the green bulb, or the Sidewinder, both are great durable lights, don't scare game, and are highly visible to SAR personnel.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: PKnTX] #442623 10/03/08 07:52 PM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
I got to hunt a place I had never been to before last year. We arrived at the cabin around 6:30P, just before dark. Did not get a chance to even walk the property before dark as we were unloading the truck. The next morning at O'dark thirty, I am being led to my blind. When we get there the guy tells me your shooting lane is straight out in front of you, and then motions for me to sit on the white plastic chair.. Yes, that was my "blind". After he left, I could hear all types of animals moving around me, behind me, in front of me.. Every hair on my body was standing up.. At one point, a gentle breeze picked up, and within a couple seconds I heard a doe wheeze.. While it scared me at the time, I felt comfortable that it was deer that I was hearing move around. As the sun came up, and I could make out what was around me, I found myself sitting on the edge of a large open field. I never saw any animals once the light came up, but I sure was glad to see the sun, and feel it on my cheeks. Talk about a prolonged time of being on edge. I had a good nap that afternoon.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: TX_Huntress] #442624 10/03/08 10:21 PM
N
No Choke Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I usually have a Sony Walkman on till right before shooting time when I go to the deer blind. Keeps me awake and I don't hear anything to make me apprehensive.

Duck hunting. I'm more worried about mesquitoes and my dog getting bit by a snake or a gator.

Good topic...

[Linked Image]
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442625 10/03/08 11:03 PM
S
Skinner0_2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Quote:

I quit being scared of the dark when I quit being a kid.

Dont think anyone on here is lagitimatly afraid of the dark, or a pansie as stated by another post. Its what is in the dark, that can see in the dark. There really is nothing more un nerving and sobering, to me anyway, than the realisation that even though i finally saw it, that it had already been watching me. Im not afraid of the dark, but i will dang sure not just head off into the dark thinking nothing will ever go wrong. I knew the topic would pull in some finger pointers and name callers. Dont worry, you hunt long enough, you too will be humbled. Skinner

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Skinner0_2] #442626 10/03/08 11:54 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
I always get a little creeped out going to my stand in the dark but it helps the adrenaline get going for the morning hunt! Ya never know what's creeping around in the woods....by the way, a box of Kleenex and a visit from Ted Nugent for Miss Sabrina! I will admit to being a member of PETA though...People Eating Tasty Animals!

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Curly] #442627 10/04/08 01:38 AM
B
bassdeerman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
When I hunted in ET (mainly Etoile, San Augustine area) going to the blind in the dark down an old logging road always had me a little on edge. Then when I started to get comfortable with it I had a freaking situation that would scare anyone. I headed to the blind one moring where my uncle let me out on the main road. I would say it was a good 1/2 mile walk to the edge of the clearing. I was walking down the logging road and heard something walking in the woods beside me. I did not think much of it until I was nearly to the blind and I heard a shrieking scream of a panther and then another one answered on the other side of the clearing. Needless to say I picked up my step and hit the third rung of the ladder on the way up to my seat. I told my uncle about it at lunch and he said oh yea there are lots of them in the creek bottom below you but they are just as or more afraid of you than you are them. I told him I would differ to agree at 430 am in the morning when they can see at night and I cannot.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Double_Drop_Tines] #442628 10/04/08 01:40 AM
C
cajundave Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Quote:

I have this thing about spiders. I can actually run without ever touching the ground if I feel a web get on me. Not to mention the spider itself. I walk with a 3' or 4' stick in front of me, waving it to and fro like I'm fending off a Dragon or something. I use a small Streamlight Stylus with a green light in the other hand. It's funny though, snakes don't bother me. Spiders make me come un-glued.

No doubt. Why is this person even on here. Maybe she should think about finding another forum to harass. I haven't read one post of hers that even comes close to being informative or supporting. Sabrina, please just bow out gracefully.

I'm with you! There's nothing worse for me than hitting a spider web in the dark. It feels like you can never get the thing off of you!

One time I sat in my stand after running into one and about 1/2 hour after day light the thing comes shimmying down the brim of my hat right between my eyes. I screamed like a little school girl!

"Guns aren't toys!They're for family protection,hunting dangerous or delicious animals,and keeping the King of England out of your face!" H.Simpson
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Payne] #442629 10/04/08 04:11 AM
B
Browndog Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Quote:

How far are y'all walking to the stand?

Only about 200 yards or so, but it might as well be 2 miles. Skunks are my biggest concern, having passed within a few feet of them on several occassions in the early morning hours before.

What gets my heart to pounding are the meadowlarks that jump up outta the high grass when they are practically under foot. That's certain to break loose some of the plaque built up on the arterial walls.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide