Forums46
Topics539,368
Posts9,748,824
Members87,157
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4405255 07/20/13 12:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: wburke2010
I am slowly trying to open my own hunting store adding one or two product lines at a time. My question to the hunters in Texas are:

What brands do you guys like the most?

What kind of products would you like to be in the store?

For example I am thinking about Primos, Reconyx game cameras, a form of the nice coolers either yeti or engle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Walter

Real hiking boots (zamberlan, cispi, kennteck, lowes)
Packs-elberstock, kufari, tenzing
Cooler look at grizzly- cheaper
Core4, firstlite clothing
Mountain hardware tents, etc

Duck section clothing columbia and beretta and browning

IMO I would not put in any of what you have posted BOBO, due to the fact it is avery select buying market. The in state deer hunters will not be buying most of what you posted to sell. He will be targeting a smaller market of hunters. As far as the high-end coolers everyone is selling them now. EVERYONE, so the market is covered on them. HEB carries them now in all their stores in hunting season.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: dogcatcher] #4405273 07/20/13 12:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Remember one thing, you cannot compete with the big box stores on same items. They can buy them cheaper than you can. You have to find a niche market of specialty items and have better service than the big boys. The more unique items you have the more drawing power you will have.

As an example check with some of the people in the classifieds like the ones that make specialty cookers and fire pits. Or the custom deer blind towers. Line up people that can do the Durocoat and hydro dipping of not only firearms but also gear. High rack builders, find one close that can provide that service to a walk in customer. In other words beside the in stock gear and supplies, have some of the unique items and services available.

People will pay the extra for the unique if it is great quality. up

I will disagree with you on some things and agree on some. You can compete with the big box stores. 99.9% of the time the big box stores inventory is preset and pre-ordered via computer not a human being that nows what is selling in your store. How many times have you walked into a big box store to only find what you want is sold out, the warehouse is out and they will not be stocking in more till next season. You can be the cheapest price in town but if you don't stock it you can't sell it. Big box stores will not carry quantities of good feeders. If you can order, inventory and knowledgebly sell what you market the customer will always find you.
I would not try to sell camo clothing due to the shear amount of inventory you have to carry to fit every man, woman and child who wanted to buy that year for the Texas hunting market. Same with hunting boots for Texas climates.
I also, would not try to cater to the high end market, unless you live in an area that has enough of those people to keep you in business. I will tell you that those "high end" folks still shop the cheapest prices they can get for hunting supplies for the lease or ranch they hunt. If Los Cazadores is charging a cover it is to weed out the tire kickers, so for me I would not grace their doors to pay to buy something from them. I sold a many a feeder or game management need to those folks due to our pricing and product knowledge.
We had a knife sales case that we stocked in a few custom made knives and then handled knives by Moore Maker. Moore Maker makes some really great knives that are not the big box store type knife. One thing about knives is they are an impulse sale, high profit and just stop someone to look at them. We sold a lot of knives for hunters, ranchers, farmers and gifts. We kept the Diamond Sharpening stones in stock and one setting on the counter to use.
Lastly the market you are targeting is hunters. There is nothing unique in what they do, some buy what is working for others or go with the flow and some will have unique buying habits.
When stocking a store you have to think of anything and everything you would use on a hunting lease/ranch and then, would the buying market you are targeting use it? Just go to the big box store at the end of hunting season, look at what is marked down and remember those items. They did not sell that year or they are in the category of having to stock a large varied inventory to fit the market.

Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: stxranchman] #4407067 07/21/13 02:45 AM
T
trjscout Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I used to go to a little local shop every august with some buddies and buy a couple cases of shells and a super combo getting ready for dove season,we paid a little more to support the small local shop! a couple years ago went in to buy shells and license and the lady at the register said they no longer sold hunting lic.said it was to much trouble she points to Dicks sporting goods about 200 yards away and says you need to go there!i told her I didn't want to go there ,I wanted to spend my money here. I left and went to academy and got my shells and super combo and saved money! they just didn't get it.

Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: Wburke2010] #4407358 07/21/13 05:14 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Liquor. Never fails, on the way out to the field I need to stop at the gun shop and the liquor store. Here's a recent pic I snapped in Wyoming of a similar concept...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6xm_K...0713_173532.jpg

Seriously though, I saw a couple other comments in this thread regarding customer service. To echo those, regardless of product, customer service is key [to me]. Don't have that, don't have me.

-Mickey

Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: Mickey Moose] #4407375 07/21/13 05:41 AM
R
Rickybear Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Women in bikinis.

Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: Rickybear] #4407617 07/21/13 01:31 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I think stxranchman has it nailed. Kind of interesting there is no "go to" hunting store specializing in "lease" type stuff in DFW area.

I have no doubt one done right would do great.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4407726 07/21/13 02:42 PM
T
Toepuncher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I have been feeding a corn/roasted soybean mixture from Bryant Grain Company in Aledo. Most stores don't carry it. You may want consider stocking this.

Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: Toepuncher] #4407771 07/21/13 03:07 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
It would be nice to sell corn and other feed products but now you are getting into a whole different set of dealing with major feed companies. Just handle corn or corn mix from a large corn supplier.
One last thing we did was put in some really nice deer mounts or shed antlers from local folks. I also shot videos running everyday and had TC pics that were there everday for hunters to view.
Lastly I have seen many a store that was stocked well and had very knowlegable people but their location were horrible. Access was a PITA off freeways making it horrible to get to and worse to get back on. People have to know you are there, then want to get you quickly and get back on the road.

Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: Monster_Raxx] #4407926 07/21/13 04:19 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Game cameras with a live feed that send photos to your monitor. Have the camera set up at a ranch with a lot of activity so people could view it while on scene. IMO that would sell a lot of cameras.

Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: Brother in-law] #4407937 07/21/13 04:26 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Also no offense to the RP, but I go to about 3-5 hunting stores a week around North Dallas area. You would have to have something to draw me to your store to kick around in on my days off. Find a specialty niche that keeps people like me always wondering what you have. Or you can be know as carrying a certain line and being the cheapest around.

Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: GusWayne] #4408053 07/21/13 05:32 PM
G
Glowka Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Also, once you get the hang of your shop open an eBay store and sell your items via buy it now for instore price.

Wicked Catch Prostaff. Ultimate Fishing Apparel
www.wickedcatchgear.com
Enter code: WCPROSTAFF-CGLOWKA under "Redeem Coupon Code or Unique ID" for a 5% discount!
Re: What you would want to see in a hunting store [Re: Brother in-law] #4409024 07/22/13 12:26 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Game cameras with a live feed that send photos to your monitor. Have the camera set up at a ranch with a lot of activity so people could view it while on scene. IMO that would sell a lot of cameras.

This or live streaming video from feeders in Texas. Was not available back when I was at the stores but we would have had it. I did shoot new video every week starting in July to thru the end of hunting season and have it edit to run in the stores.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide