Forums46
Topics538,621
Posts9,739,194
Members87,098
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4343651 06/25/13 01:51 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I think you mean ironic, bobo, not iconic.

Anywho, do you like redfish? Thank the CCA they are still around because the commercial guys ran that population into the ground by over harvesting.

Does the CCA get everything right? I'm sure they don't. No organization ever does. But, if you don't think the entire texas fishery would be in a much worse state without the CCA then your blind.

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: Trout-killer] #4343684 06/25/13 02:02 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I don't know what to think about the controversial information that is spread on the internet. I always thought of CCA as a good thing, from crab trap clean up to buying back shrimper's licenses.

I wish they would buy back the freakin crabber's licenses. Everywhere you go you have to look at old rotton traps, lines and floats from the crab traps. I don't like it. I like it even less when your prop gets fouled by an abandoned trap. Now that we bought the airboat I will be jioining the crab trap clean up.

It pizzes me off so bad to see all that mess at the bay I would do something about it. If there was a petition to end all crab fishing, without a license buy back, I would sign it right now. I don't even care if they make a living doing it. They certainly don't care about littering on every shore line in the bay. Therefore I certainly don't feel the need to buy back their license.

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: Trout-killer] #4343766 06/25/13 02:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Trout-killer
I think you mean ironic, bobo, not iconic.

Anywho, do you like redfish? Thank the CCA they are still around because the commercial guys ran that population into the ground by over harvesting.

Does the CCA get everything right? I'm sure they don't. No organization ever does. But, if you don't think the entire texas fishery would be in a much worse state without the CCA then your blind.

I know exactly what the CCA has done, I know exactly what they do, i had friends that have served on the board, not chapter, state boards. The success of the redfish has less to do with commerical guys and more to do with simple awareness both commerical and recreational.

CCA should focus on what they started up as, a grassroots org focused on awareness and habitat improvements. Not a lobbyist group. Wouldn't you rather them use all their money on projects such as cedar bayou, then lining the pockets of elected officals to shut down the commericals guys?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: wal1809] #4343787 06/25/13 02:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: wal1809
I don't know what to think about the controversial information that is spread on the internet. I always thought of CCA as a good thing, from crab trap clean up to buying back shrimper's licenses.

I wish they would buy back the freakin crabber's licenses. Everywhere you go you have to look at old rotton traps, lines and floats from the crab traps. I don't like it. I like it even less when your prop gets fouled by an abandoned trap. Now that we bought the airboat I will be jioining the crab trap clean up.

It pizzes me off so bad to see all that mess at the bay I would do something about it. If there was a petition to end all crab fishing, without a license buy back, I would sign it right now. I don't even care if they make a living doing it. They certainly don't care about littering on every shore line in the bay. Therefore I certainly don't feel the need to buy back their license.

If your in water shallow enough to see crabs traps with a proped motor via the new law...you better not stop to fish because with the new law you will most likely caught grass when you leave. Just an FYI.

I saw 4 big arse IC bouys washed up on the king ranch shore line last week.. should we fine the state or feds or pull their permits?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4343789 06/25/13 02:35 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Was CCA not a big part of banning gill nets on the coast?

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: wal1809] #4343795 06/25/13 02:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Was CCA not a big part of banning gill nets on the coast?

Gill netting has been illegal since 1981, CCA was founded in 1977

They were tiny back then. Raised awareness not lined pockets

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 06/25/13 02:40 PM.

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4343886 06/25/13 03:05 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Way too much to talk about without getting too much into politics and derailing this thread, but I think it needs to be a law, otherwise people will continue to tear up grass.

The same reason we have limits on game for commercial and recreational harvesters, there will always be people who take as much as they can. Especially when it comes to profit, regardless of education and awareness.

The same reason this iconic environmentalists drives a 2 stroke outboard, uses lead shot for dove, etc. grin

I'm aware it may be harmful but I'll probably keep doing it until there are laws to stop it. I still support conservation organizations, and they are critical in preserving future opportunities and resources. If lobbying is required to get that done so be it, but the politicians that need bribed to get stuff done are the ones that should be criticized. I may be considered an "environmentalists" by some, but in reality all outdoorsman are the moment they purchase their license or equipment.

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: TXPride] #4344017 06/25/13 03:54 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: TXPride
Way too much to talk about without getting too much into politics and derailing this thread, but I think it needs to be a law, otherwise people will continue to tear up grass.

The same reason we have limits on game for commercial and recreational harvesters, there will always be people who take as much as they can. Especially when it comes to profit, regardless of education and awareness.

The same reason this iconic environmentalists drives a 2 stroke outboard, uses lead shot for dove, etc. grin

I'm aware it may be harmful but I'll probably keep doing it until there are laws to stop it. I still support conservation organizations, and they are critical in preserving future opportunities and resources. If lobbying is required to get that done so be it, but the politicians that need bribed to get stuff done are the ones that should be criticized. I may be considered an "environmentalists" by some, but in reality all outdoorsman are the moment they purchase their license or equipment.

You got to admit iconic envoirmentalists has a certain ring to it. smile

My opinion is CCA should focus on new habitat projects. Not politics and commercial fisherman. In the last 20 years I've never not been able to gigg a limit of flounder in under an hour. Now with the reduction more like 30mins. Ironically now commerical flounders have to concentrate on the upper end of size to make their haul worth the gas. The equivalent to only keeping 26" us trout or bull reds.

I think the grass laws should be self imposed just like estes and redfish bay. Not law over the entire bay system. Awareness goes a long ways.

Anybody that fishes the bay or flats regularly knows that to truly conform to the law. .. 99% of the flats are now only accessable via kayaks and poling skiffs. That's a bad law IMO

Ill leave this thread alone now said my 2cents

Oh one last thing don't think airboats are 100% safe either I can show you airboat trails by goose island were all the guys run to avoid big water

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4344496 06/25/13 07:07 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Wall - Why don't I start a group that buys up cop licens so we limit the number of high n tight haircut cops. I mean heck there is just to many cops and we don't need any more.

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: Jeff Elder] #4344509 06/25/13 07:11 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
All y'all that just think of how the rules and laws set by CCA effect your sport fishing, but I see them in just about the same light as the hippie environmentalist that crawl over your fence and find a bug or lizard on your farm or ranch then tell you that you can't ranch it or farm it anymore because people in town want to enjoy this bug or lizard, so eff you and go find another way to make a living. Wait till some group comes after your lively hood then get back to me

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: Jeff Elder] #4344653 06/25/13 08:07 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Well all I can say is good luck enforcing this new law. We're already short handed on Game Wardens. Most of the grass flats in my neck of the woods (Estes Flats & Red Fish Bay) are already protected "no prop zones" but that doesn't stop most people. Every time I'm out fishing I see people screaming through the flats & many of them are guides. I don't like seeing the grass get tore up & I never do it on purpose, but I also know it's still gonna happen like it or not.....and as far as the "we should ban the crabbers" comment, that's just plain stupid. trout Yes I know, you don't care if that's their livelihood or not....Wow. Most of the "old" crab traps out there are lost because people don't know how to watch out for the floats or navigate around them & run one over. Folks will cut the line & carry on instead of dragging it to the bank or tying it off to the next trap so the crabber doesn't lose it. We like eating crabs but lets not fish for them. hammer

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: skinnerback] #4344705 06/25/13 08:21 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I don't really worry about the guys on plane mot of them can run in 6-8 and never touch bottom. Its getting back up in under 24" that gets people in bind.

I run Estes and redfish a lot. Lots of places I can get up in estes in the summer time (winters different). But redfish bay different story. I can get in and run, but can't get up with out spinning up some grass so I normally drift out into the IC.

GW are easy to find skinner, just put in at birdisland and run south. .usually three just right at the cut through to run the shore at tide gauge smile

The three down there are really good guys IMO, very nice, quick and to the point

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4344754 06/25/13 08:42 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Yeh Bobo, I know a few of our local Game Wardens and they're all good guys. I do a little pig hunting with the son of one of them. I know lots of the skinny boats can run 6-8" but prop wash will still leave a trail if it's shallow enough, that's why they passed the zones. I like to pull the motor & drift myself, or use the trolling motor. You don't hurt anything with a trolling motor unless you're too low. IMO if the state is going to be serious about implementing this and enforcing it, they need to dredge out more guts & cuts for people to drift into & get out of. But then, you're destroying more habitat by dredging so.... scratch I dunno. I do love running the flats, used to a lot when I was younger. Loved sitting on the bow & watching the redfish take off in all directions LOL. eeks333 but we couldn't stop because we knew we wouldn't be able to get out. frown

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: skinnerback] #4344817 06/25/13 08:59 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Yeh Bobo, I know a few of our local Game Wardens and they're all good guys. I do a little pig hunting with the son of one of them. I know lots of the skinny boats can run 6-8" but prop wash will still leave a trail if it's shallow enough, that's why they passed the zones. I like to pull the motor & drift myself, or use the trolling motor. You don't hurt anything with a trolling motor unless you're too low. IMO if the state is going to be serious about implementing this and enforcing it, they need to dredge out more guts & cuts for people to drift into & get out of. But then, you're destroying more habitat by dredging so.... scratch I dunno. I do love running the flats, used to a lot when I was younger. Loved sitting on the bow & watching the redfish take off in all directions LOL. eeks333

Ya the state guys are a great group, great all around. Couple of them are pretty funny. One of them had me rolling two weeks ago.

To me making it a law for the entire bay is over the top. If they get hard core about it think about all the places that get shut down to the majority of boats. And I'm sure as hell not boating to the land cut in a poling skiff..lol

Those lower laguna guys are screwed via the letter of the law...80% of that fishery is done to boat traffic.

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: Jeff Elder] #4346307 06/26/13 02:54 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Wall - Why don't I start a group that buys up cop licens so we limit the number of high n tight haircut cops. I mean heck there is just to many cops and we don't need any more.

The longer I am a cop the more I agree with this statement up

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: skinnerback] #4346317 06/26/13 03:00 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Well all I can say is good luck enforcing this new law. We're already short handed on Game Wardens. Most of the grass flats in my neck of the woods (Estes Flats & Red Fish Bay) are already protected "no prop zones" but that doesn't stop most people. Every time I'm out fishing I see people screaming through the flats & many of them are guides. I don't like seeing the grass get tore up & I never do it on purpose, but I also know it's still gonna happen like it or not.....and as far as the "we should ban the crabbers" comment, that's just plain stupid. trout Yes I know, you don't care if that's their livelihood or not....Wow. Most of the "old" crab traps out there are lost because people don't know how to watch out for the floats or navigate around them & run one over. Folks will cut the line & carry on instead of dragging it to the bank or tying it off to the next trap so the crabber doesn't lose it. We like eating crabs but lets not fish for them. hammer

I love eating crab. I love fishing for crab. But I can do it without trashing an entire bay system. I have been running the coast my whole life. I don't care who is the blame for the crab trap mess. It is truly a mess if you have a massive recovery effort every year to clean up the trash created by crabbers. All of that is volunteer. I say we tally the cost and pass it off to commercial crab fishing licenses. Why should we have to look at it all year and then clean it up because they are too trashy to do it themselves. You want to see trashy, just drive by a crabbers front yard. If they don't mind trashing their own front yard, they surely don't mind trashing the bay.

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: wal1809] #4349666 06/27/13 07:25 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Man Wall did a craber steal your girlfriend or something?? I'm glad you don't hate people who make their living on dry land as much as you hate watermen.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: Jeff Elder] #4349685 06/27/13 07:31 PM
R
Ramball36 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I love watermelon

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: Ramball36] #4349698 06/27/13 07:34 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Be glad he doesn't hate welders ramball. Most welders have pipe and junk in their yard and always have a unfinished pipe fence. He might just as soon put you out of business

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: Jeff Elder] #4349709 06/27/13 07:38 PM
R
Ramball36 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I tried to start building a pipe fence but my subdivision code enforcer wouldn't let me. Needless to say he also nixed the cattle guard/overhead entry sign I was planning on installing where the sidewalk is

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: Ramball36] #4349886 06/27/13 08:49 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
That's to bad. Must be a guy that hates welders and wants to run em out. Prayers sent ramball.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: Jeff Elder] #4349903 06/27/13 08:58 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Man Wall did a craber steal your girlfriend or something?? I'm glad you don't hate people who make their living on dry land as much as you hate watermen.

Calm down there Francis. I would imagine my (dislike) for the crabbers comes from a lifetime of watching them trash the bay. If a crabtrap is not collected it becomes a marine life killing machine. It is no different than if a group came to hunt with you and expected to leave their trash scattered around your pond. You own the pond, we all own the bay.

I don't see where groups form to go to the bay to have welding rod clean up day. I can't believe we actually have programs, with hundreds of volunteers, to clean up after these mutts. Forget crab trap clean up day. Get rid of the crabbers or have them conform to a standard that does not include seriously littering a bay system.

It should be simple. You get a permanent tag on your traps, day 1 of the season. For every tag you don't turn in at the end of the season is $100 fine. That fine could be earmarked for only bay projects.

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: wal1809] #4350029 06/27/13 09:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Calm down there Francis. I would imagine my (dislike) for the crabbers comes from a lifetime of watching them trash the bay. If a crabtrap is not collected it becomes a marine life killing machine. It is no different than if a group came to hunt with you and expected to leave their trash scattered around your pond. You own the pond, we all own the bay.

I don't see where groups form to go to the bay to have welding rod clean up day. I can't believe we actually have programs, with hundreds of volunteers, to clean up after these mutts. Forget crab trap clean up day. Get rid of the crabbers or have them conform to a standard that does not include seriously littering a bay system.

It should be simple. You get a permanent tag on your traps, day 1 of the season. For every tag you don't turn in at the end of the season is $100 fine. That fine could be earmarked for only bay projects.

That's an excellent solution..... until an anti- crabber goes cutting floats!!!!!

Now back to topic.... please support resending this law and open the flats back up to boating

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4350087 06/27/13 10:08 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Hold on skyppy! The original post was by John and I didn't read his intentions for posting was to get the law retracted. It seemed more of an informative angle not a rage against the machine.

I think I might be a fan of the new law, I think I might not. That will be for me to figure out. I can say this, every time I see a guy digging up the bay floor because he had to prove how shallow his flats boat can get up on a plane, It ticks me off. I ran a 15 foot scooter for 12 years. There is no need to tear up the bay like that. Fly over the bay and look at the prop scars. It is senseless.

Re: New regulation for those of you that hunt/boat the coast [Re: wal1809] #4350148 06/27/13 10:41 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Hold on skyppy! The original post was by John and I didn't read his intentions for posting was to get the law retracted. It seemed more of an informative angle not a rage against the machine.

I think I might be a fan of the new law, I think I might not. That will be for me to figure out. I can say this, every time I see a guy digging up the bay floor because he had to prove how shallow his flats boat can get up on a plane, It ticks me off. I ran a 15 foot scooter for 12 years. There is no need to tear up the bay like that. Fly over the bay and look at the prop scars. It is senseless.

I should of added a smiley to the above, I wasn't moderating I was messing with you.

Not disagreeing with you on prop scars, I'm just saying the letter of the law closes A VERY big portion of the flats in the texas bay system, including much of the LLM and all of estes and redfish bay in the winter.

My point in posting on this thread is to counter that everything that's done in the name of Conservation and the Envoirement isn't always sensable legislation.

We have to becareful with feel good legislaton because the general idea of it sounds great, so its easily passed and not easily retracted.

If I hadn't of said I was anti CCA, chances are I might of gotten a little more buy in to what I'm saying. ... which shows their influence pretty damn well and that should be scary

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide