Forums46
Topics538,934
Posts9,743,140
Members87,125
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Closed Traverse] #4199157 04/20/13 12:49 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
That's kinda messed up

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: chital_shikari] #4199162 04/20/13 12:53 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This is where he screwed up.

Quote:
Police confirmed that Marcum had been arrested and faced charges of obstruction and disturbing the education process after getting into an argument over the shirt with a teacher at Logan Middle School, which is south of Charleston.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: dogcatcher] #4199174 04/20/13 12:57 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Quote:
Police confirmed that Marcum had been arrested and faced charges of obstruction and disturbing the education process aftergetting into an argument over the shirt with a teacher at Logan Middle School, which is south of Charleston.

For defending his first amendment right? Even in the Marine Corps we were only bound by the UCMJ to obey lawful orders. Meaning, if a superior ordered you to violate the constitution you were under no obligation to follow said order. This was a teacher violating his 1st amendment right and the student had every right to defend it. The teacher who raised the stink about it is the one who should have been arrested for "obstruction and disturbing the education process."

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 04/20/13 12:58 AM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: dogcatcher] #4199179 04/20/13 12:58 AM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Quote:
Police confirmed that Marcum had been arrested and faced charges of obstruction and disturbing the education process after getting into an argument over the shirt with a teacher at Logan Middle School, which is south of Charleston.

No, that is where the teacher screwed up. Disrupting the class to practice naziism. That was the screw up..

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Mike W] #4199189 04/20/13 01:00 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Mike W

Quote:

No, that is where the teacher screwed up. Disrupting the class to practice naziism. That was the screw up..

You beat me to it MikeW! I type too slowly! cheers

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Slow Drifter] #4199199 04/20/13 01:07 AM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
popcorn

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Two kinds of people vote democrat. Rich people that don't have to work, and poor people who don't want to work.
Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Beretta] #4199273 04/20/13 01:51 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: BerettaOnyx686
popcorn

Yep, that's right....just keep eating your popcorn on the sidelines. C'mon and chime in. I know you have thoughts on this. up

edited to add a "thumbs up." My comment may have been mistaken for sarcasm in type.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 04/20/13 01:53 AM.

A. Einstein

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Slow Drifter] #4199302 04/20/13 02:08 AM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Lol I agree with the student and parents, this has become rediculous, and they wonder why more and more parents are taking their children out of public schools and sending them and their money to private schools. popcorn

Last edited by BerettaOnyx686; 04/20/13 02:09 AM. Reason: Edit for POPCORN!!

Two kinds of people vote democrat. Rich people that don't have to work, and poor people who don't want to work.
Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Beretta] #4199340 04/20/13 02:28 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Excellent point. See? I knew you could contribute more than munchy noises! lol cheers

A. Einstein

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Closed Traverse] #4199356 04/20/13 02:30 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Brandon A

I wore shirts with guns on them to school all the time and never thought twice about it.

When I was in school we didn't wear shirts with guns on them...we brought our guns to school so we could go hunting after.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Slow Drifter] #4199361 04/20/13 02:32 AM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
cheers

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #4199372 04/20/13 02:36 AM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted By: Brandon A

I wore shirts with guns on them to school all the time and never thought twice about it.

When I was in school we didn't wear shirts with guns on them...we brought our guns to school so we could go hunting after.

My cousin (who is 26 now), went to school everyday of duck season with his shotgun in the window of his truck after the quick morning hunt. Of course he is from a very small close knit town with just a bunch of good ol boys.

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #4199448 04/20/13 03:05 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Yeah, up until about my Jr year everyone in Ag had .22 Mags, 30-30's, .243's, .308's, and 12 guages in the rear windows of our trucks. That all changed when "out-of-towners" started moving in and a shotgun got stolen. No more guns on campus.

A. Einstein

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Beretta] #4199478 04/20/13 03:18 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Lol I agree with the student and parents, this has become rediculous, and they wonder why more and more parents are taking their children out of public schools and sending them and their money to private schools. popcorn

My kids are all up and out on their own, but I have younger friends who don't like the way schools are going and home school "co-op" style. There's about 15 kids total and the parents take turns teaching the whole "class" at their houses or the city library, with another parent as an assistant. They all have to register and the state provides the curriculum. They even had their own Little League baseball team last summer.

A. Einstein

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Slow Drifter] #4200012 04/20/13 03:14 PM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I have a 2 yr old daughter and I don't think she will ever see the inside of a public school.

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Beretta] #4200092 04/20/13 04:05 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have a 2 yr old daughter and I don't think she will ever see the inside of a public school.

Smart Man!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: HWY_MAN] #4200135 04/20/13 04:26 PM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
From a post on the news article. Thought of how true it is.

Channeling Jeff Foxworthy If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor, or check out a library book, but not to vote who runs the government — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If the government wants to ban stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines with more than ten rounds, but gives twenty F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If, in the nation’s largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not a 24-ounce soda because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If an 80-year-old woman or a three-year-old girl confined to a wheelchair can be strip-searched by the TSA, but a woman in a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched —you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If a seven-year-old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher is “cute,” but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If children are forcibly removed from parents who discipline them with spankings, while children of addicts are left in filth- and drug-infested “homes” — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing, and free cell phones — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If the government’s plan for getting people back to work is to provide incentives for not working through 99 weeks of unemployment checks, without any requirement to prove they sought, but couldn’t find, work — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If you pay your mortgage faithfully, denying yourself the newest big screen TV, while your neighbor buys iPhones, wall-sized plasma do-it-all TV’s and new cars, and the government forgives his debt when he defaults on his mortgage — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. If being stripped of the ability to defend yourself makes you more “safe” according to the government — you might live in a nation founded by geniuses but run by idiots. Citizen with Common Sense...

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: notamtchance] #4200659 04/20/13 10:38 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
In the school's defense, the redneck sleeves are a crime.

I wore a shirt to high school in 1990 that said "You Fat Bast**d" I told them it was a litary usage of the word. They the english teacher told me that after his class I should turn it inside out so I don't get introuble. I did and you could easily read it.

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Slow Drifter] #4200875 04/21/13 01:17 AM
M
mustafa Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
when i was in school i took my guns everywhere i went. Still do to this day.

Team Barbacoa Pro Staff.
Dallas Safari Club Life Member
Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: mustafa] #4205035 04/23/13 12:18 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: mustafa
when i was in school i took my guns everywhere i went. Still do to this day.

...and knives! If that was my kid I'd been in jail for bi**h-slappin a teacher! [Note: my 2nd footer]

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: SnakeWrangler] #4206406 04/23/13 03:34 PM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Teen Suspended for Wearing Gun T-Shirt Returns to School - Wearing the Same Shirt!

And, he wasn't alone.

Jared returned to school on Monday with many supporters greeting him outside.

"There's a lot of people wearing this same exact shirt, showing great, great support and I really appreciate it," Jared said before walking in to school.

According to WOWKTV, Marcum returned to class, fresh off of suspension, wearing the shirt that got him suspended from school after a dispute with a teacher. The shirt that began the controversy has an image of a gun on the front.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-wil...ring-same-shirt

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: dogcatcher] #4206438 04/23/13 03:46 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
School is like work, you follow the rules, if you want to change the rules, change them before playing by your own set of rules. Where he made his mistake was arguing with the teacher. He should have started by changing the rules.

Try playing by your own set of rules when you are employee, you get fired.

If he was wearing an Obama shirt this would not be a story now would it. C'mon......be honest.......

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: TF Panther] #4206468 04/23/13 03:55 PM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: TF Panther
School is like work, you follow the rules, if you want to change the rules, change them before playing by your own set of rules. Where he made his mistake was arguing with the teacher. He should have started by changing the rules.

Try playing by your own set of rules when you are employee, you get fired.

If he was wearing an Obama shirt this would not be a story now would it. C'mon......be honest.......

You're right, they would have never asked him to remove or turn the shirt inside out.

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: Beretta] #4206553 04/23/13 04:41 PM
C
charner Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
im glad that this all worked out, but as a teacher myself, we have a very hard time with things like this. many kids are very disrespectful and look for things to start an argument that they can win. but i wish more parents would teach their kids how to handle situations like this one.

what should have happend is the student gets sent to the office by the teacher, the student goes with out a fight (respecting the athority of the teacher) when in the office he RESPECTFULLY gives his reasons why the shirt is OK. if the admin makes him change or turn it inside out he does so. when he gets home or if he contacts home and tells them what has happend then the fight can begin. parents start by contacting admin and telling them he was within dress code and that he may wear his shirt if he chooses. if they deny that then go to the district and report the incident. then go to the state.

i wore a bill clinton shirt in 5th grade that had him on stage supporting homosexuals in the military, on the back it showed hime wearing pink womens underwear. i was told it was inappropriate so i turned it inside out and did not wear it again to school. I could have made a big stink about it and tried to fight it right there, but would have made a small situation really bad

Re: 8th grader arrested for PRO 2A shirt [Re: charner] #4206643 04/23/13 05:27 PM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I completely agree charner, but I also believe that the teachers are there to educate our children with the facts, and are not in anyway to enforce rules because of their beliefs and opinions, leave your beliefs and personal problems at the front door when you walk into the school.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide