Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: shipping firearms [Re: Don Dial] #4074816 02/22/13 04:21 PM
SCone Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Per the ATF rule... Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm

UPS never asked to see an FFL of anyone when I've shipped a firearm

And as far as carrying the bolt... a bolt does not constitute a firearm, it has no serial number & makes no difference to the shipping requirements.

ATF does allow the shipping of firearms to yourself for your own use... the rule never says how long that use can be...

The rules are VERY SPECIFIC about shipping to yourself... no one else can open the package and "receive" the firearm...

You would need to travel to you Mom's, ship the firearms to yourself, go back home & open the boxes once they are delivered... someone else can hold the boxes for you, but you have to open the packages...

Last edited by SCone; 02/22/13 04:29 PM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
- J. B. Books

For your ID Theft & Legal needs...
http://scone.legalshieldassociate.com
Re: shipping firearms [Re: Don Dial] #4076264 02/23/13 02:04 AM
R
rmac10 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
We have had people send in their guns via UPS without going through an FFL...not sure of the exact law though.

Re: shipping firearms [Re: Don Dial] #4077442 02/23/13 06:22 PM
T
taco bender Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I work for FedEx....we can not ship them. unless you are FFL, and all shipments have to be priority overnight. which in most cases its a delivery by 10:30am.

"Today is about playing like WE play! This day is about DOMINATING an opponent! This day is about being LSU, and taking a team by the throat, and choking the life out of them!" - Les Miles
Re: shipping firearms [Re: Don Dial] #4077503 02/23/13 06:46 PM
B
Bob in TX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
For those unable to click on a link:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

The Texas Predator Posse
NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member

Re: shipping firearms [Re: Bob in TX] #4077540 02/23/13 07:03 PM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I contacted the ATF about this when I moved to Texas, and I asked them about shipping my long guns to myself ( I didn't ask about pisols). They told me it was perfectly fine to ship them to myself. Even contacted the Post Master a few years ago(2007) about shipping firearms. He told me that when you ship USPS that I you are not suppose to inform the PO it is a firearm, and it can not have any labels distinguishing it as a firearm. Things may have changed since then. I know the last time I checked into this, post office employees are not suppose to give any advice regarding this matter.

Re: shipping firearms [Re: taco bender] #4077575 02/23/13 07:17 PM
S
splash556 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: taco bender
I work for FedEx....we can not ship them. unless you are FFL, and all shipments have to be priority overnight. which in most cases its a delivery by 10:30am.

Must be different at different locations. I just shipped one a couple of weeks ago with FEDEX after UPS wouldn't. I'm not an FFL though they did require overnight shipping (of course at a higher charge than regular shipping). Funny, the return was via UPS and was 3 bussiness day shipping. Too bad FEDEX, UPS and USPS can't let their employees and customers know what rules and policies are in place and STANDARDIZE them!

[Linked Image]
Re: shipping firearms [Re: Don Dial] #4077628 02/23/13 07:44 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
If it's going across state lines it has to go to an FFL.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: shipping firearms [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #4077642 02/23/13 07:52 PM
S
seacam Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
I shipped a revolver to Smith and Wesson thru Fed-Ex. They shipped it back to me in Texas then re-shipped it to Arkansas where I was visiting family. No FFL needed on my end at either place.

Re: shipping firearms [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #4077687 02/23/13 08:21 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
If it's going across state lines it has to go to an FFL.

Yes sir, on one end or the other, depending on the circumstances.

Don't take our word for it, call ATF.

Re: shipping firearms [Re: taco bender] #4077819 02/23/13 09:49 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: taco bender

Negative...you DO NOT have to be an FFL to ship via FedEX. Affirmative, FedEX will make you ship priority overnight.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: shipping firearms [Re: The Dude Abides] #4077929 02/23/13 11:34 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
WOW, just WOW. So much false information being posted.

Here is the Fed Ex Guidelines for 2013. See page 134.

Link to Firearms page of the January 2013 Fedex Service Guide

Firearms
A. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States
Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors;
law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and
law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political
subdivisions thereof; or
2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed
importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
B. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult
Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your
shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments
are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
C. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot
ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express
Drop Box.
D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to
FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm.
The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the
package contains a firearm.
E. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
F. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government
regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol,
Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
G. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance
with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service
Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods.
You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

Re: shipping firearms [Re: Sniper John] #4078287 02/24/13 03:15 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
It is important to distinguish between:
"company rules" for FedEx/UPS
vs.
ATF rules" that could put you in jail.

I already posted a link to ATF's site that explains the actual enforceable ATF rule - then Bob nicely pasted the text for folks to read. It is clear that you can indeed ship guns to yourself intrastate or interstate, unless you are planning to do something illegal.

And yet, people keep throwing out their "best guess" as to what the laws are instead of facts.

ATF rules are not shipping company rules. Very often, employees of shipping companies are not familiar with the rules regarding firearm shipments.

It really isn't complicated.........

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: shipping firearms [Re: Marc K] #4078468 02/24/13 04:42 AM
P
Paul Sonnier Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
AS said above... ATF rules are not the same as the "shippers" rules...

You can talk to whoever, at where ever, that thinks they know, what their company policy is, but the LAW is the LAW!

Yes, you can ship a Long gun to Yourself...... LEGALLY, no questions asked.

Read the rules! It's black and white, and plain as day!

Re: shipping firearms [Re: Paul Sonnier] #4079602 02/24/13 09:15 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Go look at Gun Broker, and pull up their tutorials on shipping regs...I printed the stuff out that is lifted straight from USPS & ATF since the Post Master in my town argued with me...'cause he dodn't read his own GuideLines and wanted to treat ALL GUNS SHIPPED the same way in violation of his own Regs and forced me to go elsewhere ...where I walked in with an unmarked package and shipped a long gun to a FFL in another state...where the FFL did the background FBI thingy and delivered the long gun to the guy I had sold the gun to...AND ALL of this was kosher with the Current Regs...BTDT
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide