Forums46
Topics538,056
Posts9,732,529
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Unexpected Pig Behavior - Opinions Wanted [Re: redchevy] #4063217 02/18/13 06:22 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Hogs are definitely not blind and deaf or blind or deaf. Their eyesite in some areas is comparable to humans with better night vision than humans. Their hearing is better than humans. Hogs aren't going to be reading in lower lines on the eyecharts, but they can see what they need to see most of the time. I have certainly watched a group of spooked hogs run through the woods at night (me using night vision) and the hogs manage to not crash into trees. I don't know that too many keen eyesighted humans that have the same capability.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Unexpected Pig Behavior - Opinions Wanted [Re: IHateFeralPigs] #4063229 02/18/13 06:30 PM
R
Razzbuten Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: IHateFeralPigs
...too bad for them i was carrying my Sig 556 and i got 4 of them...

But there is no reason a hunter would need a rifle like that!

Re: Unexpected Pig Behavior - Opinions Wanted [Re: Razzbuten] #4063484 02/18/13 08:17 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Side note: I had to take my Digisight off my .308. The screen would blank out for a couple of seconds after a shot. I understand that the .308 is the max joules the scope is supposed to take.

Re: Unexpected Pig Behavior - Opinions Wanted [Re: dfwroadkill] #4063603 02/18/13 09:11 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I still say you didn't spook him. That in combination with him not being very smart and wary and that kind of stuff happens.

I shot a pig in Denton creek just standing there with 3 others. The others ran off of course, and I figured they'd be in the next county by the time we even got down there. We set the hog up for filming our commentary and while doing so-talking in normal tones-I kept hearing rustling behind me. I turned around, climbed the bank, and not 20 yards away was one of those pigs just rooting around in the brush! He got a bullet for being stupid.. They're out there!

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: Unexpected Pig Behavior - Opinions Wanted [Re: dfwroadkill] #4063897 02/18/13 11:17 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Side note: I had to take my Digisight off my .308. The screen would blank out for a couple of seconds after a shot. I understand that the .308 is the max joules the scope is supposed to take.

N550 Digisights are rated up to 6000 joules. The .308 comes no where near that. They will handle .45-70 as well. The problem, however, is that some batteries don't handle the recoil as well. I think Pulsar screwed up when they aligned the batteries with the axis of the bore in terms of recoil, resulting in the small contacts of the positive ends denting the wide, flat contacts of the negative end.

The screen going out during recoil was most likely loss of contact at the batteries, not a problem with the electronics themselves. A same problem happens with some shotgun mounted lights using multiple CR123 batteries. The solution was to put a small rubber washer between the batteries where the hole allowed the positive end to contact the negative end of the next battery.

Re: Unexpected Pig Behavior - Opinions Wanted [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4065592 02/19/13 03:08 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill

N550 Digisights are rated up to 6000 joules. The .308 comes no where near that. They will handle .45-70 as well. The problem, however, is that some batteries don't handle the recoil as well. I think Pulsar screwed up when they aligned the batteries with the axis of the bore in terms of recoil, resulting in the small contacts of the positive ends denting the wide, flat contacts of the negative end.

The screen going out during recoil was most likely loss of contact at the batteries, not a problem with the electronics themselves. A same problem happens with some shotgun mounted lights using multiple CR123 batteries. The solution was to put a small rubber washer between the batteries where the hole allowed the positive end to contact the negative end of the next battery.

I am using an external 12 volt source...there are no internal batteries in use... Maybe I got misinformation, but the dealer I got mine from said the .308 was the max he would put one on. I do see where it is rated for 6,000 joules and the .308 is give or take around 3,500 joules. Regardless, I put it on a 7.62 x 39 AR platform shooting 123g and love it.

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 02/19/13 03:18 PM.
Re: Unexpected Pig Behavior - Opinions Wanted [Re: dfwroadkill] #4066292 02/19/13 07:15 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Right, you received bad information from your dealer.
http://www.pulsar-nv.com/product.aspx?prid=13
Quote:
The riflescope can be mounted on a wide range of hunting weapons including those of large calibers (shock resistance is guaranteed if cartridges with muzzle velocity not exceeding 6000 Joules are used).

So recoil energy affecting the electronics should not have been an issue or changing the joules of the platform.

Re: Unexpected Pig Behavior - Opinions Wanted [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4073559 02/22/13 01:43 AM
S
SemperFiHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
+1 on the unpredictability of wild pigs. I killed my first wild hog in '98 or '99. I have probably killed a couple hundred since then. I have seen them act as wary as a highly pressured whitetail, and as ignorant of danger as a tame goat. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they may act at any given moment.

I have had them spook at the slightest movement, and I have seen them act ridiculously oblivious to danger.

About 5 years ago, we had a 650 acre ranch just north of Cedar Creek Lake, on King's Creek. Hogs out the wazzoo! One evening, me and my Dad were making the rounds just before dark, just to see if we could see anything. My Dad was driving the Kubota RTV diesel UTV, and I was riding shotgun.

We get to the second feeder right at dusk, and there is a group of about 15 hogs under it. 3 or 4 sows and a bunch of little ones. The headlights are on, the diesel engine is clanking, and the hogs don't even give us a second look. I tell my Dad to keep easing up on them to see how close we can get before they bolt.

I never would have believed it, but we eased up to them so close that I literally SPIT on one of the hogs under the feeder, over the hood, with the engine still running. It defied all logic, but it happened.

Just another example of how unpredictable wild hogs can be.

Re: Unexpected Pig Behavior - Opinions Wanted [Re: SemperFiHunter] #4076381 02/23/13 02:49 AM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Lol on that.. Last year we almost ran over a hog at night with all of us piled on my buddy's mule. We stopped, I got out and walked to within 10 feet and busted it with my AR. All that with engine running, taking, and lights. We should start a stupidest pig thread..

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide