Forums46
Topics538,059
Posts9,732,545
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: HWY_MAN] #4058069 02/16/13 02:36 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
I would ask Mr CPA if he will sign a contract saying he would take care of all interest and penalties should the IRS come back and disallow the deductions

I don't know any CPA that will sign such a contract for any deductions, LOL. The CPA doesn't vouch for a given deduction is actually being used and so would not sign such a contract.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: John Humbert] #4059862 02/17/13 06:31 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Originally Posted By: Kingpin
For the record, this ranch owner treats the deer lease operation as a business, requires a check (not cash) and the check must be made out to the ranch (not him personally).

So, to the name-callers, wow, the whole hunting world is going to come apart because a lessee and lessor are trying to follow the law. And you are mostly worried about getting "caught" versus what is "legal."

Any CPAs out there?

Good for you Kingpin! I applaude you for being professional! Sincerely.

However, I think you are in the minority. Certainly folks who are tight about their operations, and especially for those where deer leases are a bonafide business, I would hope that they treat it as such.

But there are a LOT of farmers and ranchers who are not in the deer lease business and think of the money from deer leases as just some side cash (and don't tell momma!). More often that not, these landowners don't even have formal lease agreements, lease permits, and the whole "hunting lease" is handled by a trusted friend who simply does it on the side as "lease manager". Many times it is the lease manager, not the land owner, that comes up with the lease rules, etc. This is because the landowner just doesn't want to get involved directly and just prefers to get a little walking around money.

If those types started treating it as a business, keeping reciepts and tracking income - I am willing to be that a lot of them would say it just not worth it to them. It suddenly become "formal" to them. If they did pursue it formally, then they would get more involved, put more rules in place, and almost certainly up the price to cover the additional taxes and headaches of the paperwork - or simply say "sorry, I am not leasing anymore".

The overall result is that we hunters would lose out.

I, personally, would rather keep it informal and private - even on the down low - and get acreage for a few bucks an acre. And maintain a good relationship with the land owner and lease manager.

Before I would try to some gray area tax stuff to get a tax write-off, I would be SURE to talk to the parties involved and make sure my actions wouldn't be against their wishes or put them in a jackpot. Especially if there were other lease members involved. To do something like that to gain a little bit of money personally at the potential expense of others is just unthinkable for me. I would consider it impolite and selfish. But that's me. I wouldn't even bring it up for a few hundred dollars savings.

On the other hand, if I was paying $15,000-$30,000 for a corporate type lease - where the tax saving could be significant, I might talk with the lease manager and landowner about the possibilty and get their feedback.

Most you bigger ranchers and farmers do report it..A) it can be a pretty large sum, B) most need to report a profit. And if for some reason they are worried about paying taxes on it, its pretty easy to cover it up with a farm related expense if neex be.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: John Humbert] #4059888 02/17/13 07:24 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Food for thought - if you claim the rent, even if you can do it strictly kosher and legal. Your deduction of rent means the landowner must be showing it as income.

You could trigger an audit of the landowner - which might not make him very happy. You could end up causing problems for EVERYONE.

If I was the landowner and one of my lessee tried that, and it ended with me getting audited, perhaps having to pay back taxes and penalties - that would be last time I dealt with the lessees and maybe leasing my land at all.

The lease payment is income to the landowner regardless of whether he deducts it or not. I know we had to report it as income when we were leasing. If the landowner isn't reporting it, that is his problem with the IRS.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: John Humbert] #4059916 02/17/13 08:49 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Food for thought - if you claim the rent, even if you can do it strictly kosher and legal. Your deduction of rent means the landowner must be showing it as income.

You could trigger an audit of the landowner - which might not make him very happy. You could end up causing problems for EVERYONE.

If I was the landowner and one of my lessee tried that, and it ended with me getting audited, perhaps having to pay back taxes and penalties - that would be last time I dealt with the lessees and maybe leasing my land at all.

My assumption is that he must claim it as income. Regardless of how I categorize it (or don't) it is income to the ranch owner. A hunter pays a landowner a lease payment it is income to the landowner and must be reported as income.

I havent hunted on the BIG leases like many on here have, but not a single one of the deer leases I have ever been on turned in their lease mone as income, it was a cash deal.

Exactly! I would say that more than 90% of landowner - and lease managers - take the income from leasing hunting rights "under the table". Traditionally always the way it has been - kinda like income from GarageSales. While "technically" the income should be reported in both cases, very few actually do.

But just like GarageSales - where some jackwagon made a deal about on their taxes - the IRS got to looking at the number and dollar volume - along with the cities - and suddenly decided it was worth their while to start cracking down on all those Moms having garage sales. Really affected things with new laws, city ordinance, permits, etc.

There is even more money involved in deer leases. Somebody due something stupid like trying write off the lease cost on the taxes and folks follow suit - then first thing you know the IRS is going to start looking into closely (especially under the current administration) and start going after those nasty farmers and rancher "criminals" who haven't been paying their taxes.

All it will take is a few ranchers get burned by that, and the whole idea of leasing will change. Taxes and penalties are severe on back taxes. For example, lets say a land owner has been getting $10,000/yr for his 1000 acres and has been doing it for 20 years. IRS comes after him and claims he owes taxes on $200,000 of unreported income. With the base taxes, interests, and penalties - he nows owes the IRS more than a million dollars (very conservatively). He ends up losing his ranch - all because some nimrod tried to claim his lease as an expense. The rancher's neighbors hear what happen - and figure it's not worth the risk of some lessee playing tax games - and decides he is not going to lease anymore. Then regular as dominos other ranchers follow suit - or go through the complicated process of getting/giving receipts for lease payments - which jacks up the cost of the lease.

Next thing you know, leases are either sky-high even more than they are now - and most land is simply not available to lease anymore.

Just because some jackwagon wanted to see if he could save a few hundred bucks on his taxes.

And to whose who say - "why should I be responsible if the landowner doesn't pay his taxes or reports income?" - let me remind you that leasing is a PRIVILEDGE granted by the land owner, and you have should have respect for him and cater to his desire to keep things private. When you put your desire to scam saving a few bucks off your taxes ahead of the private arrangement with the landowner, you become selfish and not welcome.

Remember, most ranchers/farmers probably claim there lease income from grazing, etc. but most do not claim hunting lease income. This is because often the "lease" is managed through a ramrod and not the landowner directly. This adds a level of complexity for tracking/reporting income - as the lease manager/ramrod needs to report the income share himself. Most ramrods aren't making that much money - certainly not a career income - they aren't going to turn 20-30% over to the government - especially for all the cr-p they have to deal with. It won't be worth it to them - so again, prices will go up or land taken off the lease market.

I betcha if you even MENTIONED what you are thinking of doing to the land owner, he would kick you off the property so fast it would make your head spin.
Who is the jackwagon here the man who is trying to write off a Tax expense or the person hiding income from the goverment? If the landowner does not want to be legal than he just should not lease his property. Period

Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Kingpin] #4059943 02/17/13 11:38 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My CPA is allowing me to deduct the cost of our deer lease as "Rent" on a LLC Schedule K-1 statement.

Here is my reasoning. I operate a gun-related business. We lease part of a large ranch for testing guns and optics. The ranch has a formal gun range for bench work plus we real-world performance test on deer and hogs. We also invite industry-types to come down and demonstrate their new products. Obviously you can't easily test guns in a regular office building or warehouse - thus the ranch "rent."

We are claiming "Rent" much as if we leased a building in town or leased a gun range. The ranch is where we conduct our business.

We don't claim it as "Entertainment" due to this IRS statement, "Business is generally not considered to be the main purpose when business and entertainment are combined on hunting or fishing trips, or on yachts or other pleasure boats. Even if you show that business was the main purpose, you generally cannot deduct the expenses for the use of an entertainment facility"

I'm sure lots of guys on here have corporate or business-related leases. How do you handle it with the IRS?

Did you send the land owner a 1099?

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: HWY_MAN] #4059965 02/17/13 12:04 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Very good question, HWY_MAN.

Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: HWY_MAN] #4060367 02/17/13 04:23 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
I have never received a 1099 from anyone on the lease and do not expect one since it is not a business related expense on their part but I try to keep my ducks in line. Each and every dollar of income and expense related to my hunting enterprise is documented by checks, receipts, invoices, etc. No cash involved. To do otherwise is insane…plus darned poor business.

Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: aeb] #4060458 02/17/13 05:08 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: aeb
I have never received a 1099 from anyone on the lease and do not expect one since it is not a business related expense on their part but I try to keep my ducks in line. Each and every dollar of income and expense related to my hunting enterprise is documented by checks, receipts, invoices, etc. No cash involved. To do otherwise is insane…plus darned poor business.

But if he's claiming it as business related there better be a 1099.

Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Kingpin] #8390087 09/19/21 11:59 AM
M
marhtabew Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
spammer

Last edited by TreeBass; 09/19/21 01:42 PM.
Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: John Humbert] #8390099 09/19/21 12:31 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by John Humbert

Are you suggesting that the landowner is not showing his lease payments as income? If that's the case it's on him with nobody to blame but himself.

Sorry I didn't realize this thread was started 8 years ago.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 09/19/21 12:33 PM.

Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Kingpin] #8390281 09/19/21 03:02 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
How much could the lease be and is it really that significant? Tax write offs don't save you dollar for dollar the amount you spend. What they do is reduce your taxable income by the amount of the deduction. That is if you spent 10k on a lease and write it off it doesn't save you 10k on your taxes. What it does is reduce your income by 10k which depending on your tax rate might save you somewhere between 2-4k in taxes. While it is better than nothing it isn't a life changing amount and not worth doing something that could bring you trouble in my opinion.

Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Kingpin] #8390944 09/20/21 01:08 AM
R
Rounder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I remember when Texas used to be Texas. Miss those days.

Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Kingpin] #8391216 09/20/21 10:00 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Had an issue with the IRS once and believe me, that will never, ever happen again. The Op's situation is somewhat different than from what most people experience. Even so taking lease costs and having them listed under rents seems a stretch here. You gonna depreciate your equipment used while hunting there - guns, blinds, feeders and such? What you gona do about feed and other taken for granted lease costs? Writing off other additional costs over the lease (food, drink & such) seem legitimate, but writing off the entire lease cost because some business associates come down what may be only a minority of the time seems foolish if not ethically wrong.

Uncle Udo always told me never to take big chances for small gains. If I am going to do something of this nature, I don't hope it works. I always try to know it will work prior to trying it.

Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8391329 09/20/21 01:27 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I work out of my home. By the lease logic, I could claim my entire home as a deduction, but in reality, all I could claim (and I don't) is the small area of my home office. As my accountant noted, such deductions are red flags. They may not be wrong, but often garner extra scrutiny (audits) that nobody wants.

I would not try to claim the entire deer lease just because you sometimes test guns on a gun range that is undoubtedly only a very small fraction of the entire lease.

Agree with this. I think the comparison is good. I am able to deduct a 'portion' of my home (my office area) that I conduct business from...but nothing else (which makes perfect sense).

Don't create red flags.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Kingpin] #8391362 09/20/21 01:56 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I've met more than one guy trying to write off their Africa hunt by claiming to be a writer, desperately giving out their rag at some hunting association meeting. The writing was always...pitiful. roflmao

We had an IRS audit of our business many years ago and the agent told my brother "I know you have a deer lease and I'm gonna find it in the books." (We did not have one at the time.)

I believe the IRS is in the process of being weaponized (again). If the CDC can tell you you can't evict someone from property you own...

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Kingpin] #8391364 09/20/21 01:56 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Red flags are bad!

Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Kingpin] #8391574 09/20/21 05:01 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Y'all know this thread is from 2013, right?

Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Kingpin] #8391577 09/20/21 05:03 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Our recognition of what is current & active is about as good as our tax advice

Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Kingpin] #8391667 09/20/21 06:01 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Landowners are supposed to display a hunting lease license at the ranch if they lease for hunting. Fee is based on how much land the rancher/landowner owns. The more land, the more it costs, but it is divided into 3 categories. I suspect the government can track a landowner down through this permit to see if the landowner is claiming hunting fees as income.

Under TPW rules, a private landowner or the landowner’s agent may not receive any consideration from a hunter unless the landowner has obtained a Hunting Lease License from TPW. There are three types of licenses for landowners to choose from: (1) Hunting Lease License; (2) Hunting Cooperative Lease License; and (3) Wildlife Management Association Area Hunting Lease License.

Hunting Lease License: This is the license for an individual landowner. Cost for less than $500 acres is $79, from 500-1000 acres is $147, and for landowners with 1000 acres or more, the cost is $252. This license may be obtained anywhere a hunting/fishing license is sold or may be obtained online.
Hunting Cooperative Lease License: If a group of landowners wishes to get together and form a hunting cooperative, they must have a written agreement including their names and the total number of acres owned by each landowner. This document is to be attached to the hunting cooperative lease license application. For small cooperatives (less than 10,000 acres), the fee is $60 plus $5 per participating landowner. For medium sized cooperatives (between 10,000 and 50,000 acres) the cost is $120 plus $5 per participating landowner. For large cooperatives (over 50,000 acres), the cost is $240 plus $5 per acre. This license must be obtained at a Texas Parks and Wildlife office.
Wildlife Management Association Area Hunting License: In order to obtain this license, two or more tracts of land that are contiguous or proximate to one another have to be designated as a wildlife management association by the TPW. To grant this designation, TPW will determine that the land is inhabited by wildlife and that observing the wildlife and collecting information will serve the purpose of wildlife management. A landowner must agree that he or she will release infomation about the wildlife to the department. Fees for small acreages (less than 10,000 acres) are $38 plus $6 per participating landowner. For medium (10,000 to 50,000 acres) fees are $76 plus $6 per participating landowner. For large associations (over 50,000 acres), fees are $152 plus $6 per participating landowner.
For landowners who own properties in different counties, if the properties are non-contiguous, separate licenses must be obtained. If, however, the property is contiguous, only one license is required.

Licenses must be “displayed on the hunting lease.” This can be done a number of ways, including giving a copy of hunters to carry with them, the landowner keeping a copy to produce on request, posting on a fence post, gate, or leaving a copy at a bunkhouse or lodge. So long as the license can be produced upon request of the Game Warden, this requirement is met.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Claim deer lease as a tax deduction? [Re: Kingpin] #8391696 09/20/21 06:20 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I know a CPA. Once I asked him about something as trivial as this hunting lease thing. He told me " You think the IRS has time to mess with little dollar crap like this. They are after bigger fish to fry."

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide