Forums46
Topics540,300
Posts9,761,098
Members87,216
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: 22bond] #3999946 01/28/13 04:24 AM
J
JarHeadWinger Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: 22bond
Originally Posted By: clharr
Originally Posted By: contactcr
Originally Posted By: AlaskaCub
... The other day I went to shoot and there was a group of like 5 young women, all had new semi-autos in their brand new platic boxes they come with, all giggly about shooting them, they were clueless. ...

Hey whats wrong with the plastic cases handguns come with?

More importantly, whats wrong with a group of five young women? Sounds like a missed opportunity to me.

When they get so excited that they hit the target and turns around to get their friends reaction, it is a pretty scary sight. The gun is cocked and loaded, finger still on the trigger and the gun is now not facing down range but pointing to the next lane.

If it gets pointed at my lane I'm going to point one right back, or reach across and slap that bacon. My question is why would you go to a range with the safety officer standing around shooting the chit?

I won't shoot on the weekends anymore.

Swingin' with the Wing

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: JarHeadWinger] #3999955 01/28/13 04:28 AM
J
jab3006 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Man i feel for you guys. I am blessed to live in the country. My range is in my back yard. Any time i want to shoot i walk outside. Good luck at the public ranges and be safe!

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: jab3006] #3999964 01/28/13 04:33 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: jab3006
Man i feel for you guys. I am blessed to live in the country. My range is in my back yard. Any time i want to shoot i walk outside. Good luck at the public ranges and be safe!
up

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: JarHeadWinger] #3999983 01/28/13 04:40 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Last time I was at the Garland Range was late Summer I guess, even though I can step out of my house and tell if they are busy from the sound of distant gunfire.

The one that worried me the most on that last trip was seemingly being safe with his firearms. But when he left I looked at some of the brass he left behind from his 300 Win Mag reloads. Primers were out of several cases and that bright ring at the web area was there on others with really flattened primers. Pushing a rifle that hard is another thing to be cautious about.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: 22bond] #4000084 01/28/13 05:42 AM
S
soje Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I sure wish I could still go shoot at my buddies land. I didn't realize how much of a luxury it was until I went to a range.I know one day I'll have some land with a huge tank full of bass.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: kmon11] #4000085 01/28/13 05:42 AM
C
ckat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
The "public" indoor pistol range in Lubbock has banned new shooters. If you cannot prove proficiency, you have two options: (1)Pay for lessons from them, or (2)Go somewhere else.

http://www.patriotfirearms.com/

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Southtexas36] #4000308 01/28/13 01:22 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Southtexas36
In all honesty we need as many people as possible get into the shooting sports, the more people that take a liking to it the more to defend our freedoms even if it is a PITA at the range. At this point I'd be a little worried to see only a couple of people there even if it would be convenient.

I guess that I really should be thinking this way. Anyone that I've ever taken shooting has gotten hooked.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Marc K] #4000420 01/28/13 02:07 PM
R
rustedspurs4 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I wonder how well over shooting lessons would go? I wonder if there is a large demand for that right now? I think general education (safety, operation, maintenance, and cartridge differentiation) is the best thing that can happen right now. It's great that people are getting into the sport, unfortunately I think they're getting into it for the wrong reasons. Lord knows we need the votes... but the last thing that we need is someone getting killed at one of these "safe" ranges and the media getting ahold of it.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold.
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: tth_40] #4000774 01/28/13 03:56 PM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: tth_40
Originally Posted By: jab3006
up

X2
Yet another reason to live in the country . The city leaves a lot to be desired. Being nice here.
Be careful boys and girls.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: GUTIT] #4000848 01/28/13 04:16 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I've been to Garland many times. The RO's are clueless and do NOT watch the firing line. I have seen rifles being shot well over the berms and into the dirt. I've seen guys shoot flat top AR's with NO sights while standing and run through 20-30 round mags as fast as they could with no dirt splashes on the berm, and rounds clearly going over the berm. After bringing it to the RO's attention, they ran them off, but 2 mags worth of ammo had already been sent down range.

While at the handgun bays, I've had the same guy to my right try to clear a mag and pointing his pistol to the left (pointing the pistol directly at me). I strongly, but politely warned him the first time. The second time he did the same thing again, I told him I would knock his a$$ out if that pistol points anywhere but down range. He left promply.

I'm all for shooting ranges and support the business as much as the next guy. But when you endanger the public in running your business improperly with no safe guards to keep rounds on your property and your staff doesn't care or pay attention, F em. I wish Garland would be shut down. I'll never go there again.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: ckat] #4001388 01/28/13 06:40 PM
H
HTDUCK Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: ckat
The "public" indoor pistol range in Lubbock has banned new shooters. If you cannot prove proficiency, you have two options: (1)Pay for lessons from them, or (2)Go somewhere else.

http://www.patriotfirearms.com/

Lubbock area has seen two ranges closed in recent months.
Hard to believe that there is no other place to shoot out there.
The management at Patriot also has suspended sales of ammo to the general public and will only sell ammo to those shooting at their facility.
Currently there is a new 1000 yard range being built north of Lubbock in Abernathy.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Buzzsaw] #4001585 01/28/13 07:44 PM
Jon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Well, there's always Gibson Outpost shooting range on Lawson Rd in Mesquite. Don't have to worry much about people breaking safety rules at that place. It absolutely is not tolerated. Some people get all butthurt over the treatment they receive there from the management, but you don't have to worry about some knothead pointing a pistol at ya on the firing line. I never had any problems there myself and actually appreciate the hard line they take about range safety.
Thin skinned or easily offended people probably wouldn't like the place.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Jon] #4001957 01/28/13 09:47 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Yeah, screw Gibson's. The RO there wouldn't let me set up my chronograph to do some work after hurrying back from the 200 yard line. He was about to yell the line is hot, and I said I needed to set my chrono up (chrono mounted on tripod and 100% ready to go). He said wait till the next cease fire. I told him I had to have chrono numbers for the work I am about to do, and only had about 20 rounds to shoot. He said to wait and made the line hot. It would have taken me maybe 45 seconds to set it up. He made sure to have an extra long firing session. So F Gibson's and I won't be back there either. Gun ranges still have a customer service aspect and I'm still a paying customer. I'll go spend my money and time else where.
I now go to Top Gun. Plus they are 500 yards.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide