Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Sneaky] #3986506 01/24/13 02:28 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I care. Because the hunting tradition is important to me. And many others. I don't like hunting even associated with shooting penned-up calcium deposits.

You ask "Who cares?" like it's stupid to care about something. I guess to many it is...

If it's important to you, then hunt that way!

Why should everyone do things your way?

Two thoughts:

1)It's not just "my way"- its hunting vs. shooting/killing. And people who control our fate are watching.

2)Alot of the guys you even apparently agree are just shooters come on a public forum like this, send out pic after pic, and just generally put it in everyone's face. (Which is not surprising as showing off the big rack is kinda their point in the first place).

But ask if its HF or LF and watch the howling! So now apparently you can't even get the story since the big rack is the only point. Used to be the story was the point.

It's just sad.....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: buck-snort] #3986511 01/24/13 02:29 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: dwalls
Originally Posted By: Tye

If I had any of those low fenced places, I would HF them in a heart beat. Where in the world is there only 1or 2 deer on an entire ranch....unless those are 5 acre ranchettes grin

dang. People keep pointing out flaws in my picture. Guess I have some editing to do.

If this is in the Hill country, you might want to add more tracks outside the fence than in

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: crankn101] #3986513 01/24/13 02:30 AM
L
Leever Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
juggle

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Tye] #3986536 01/24/13 02:35 AM
A
AlaskaCub Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A

Funny you say that! Arent some of these people the ones that pay $6-10k to hunt Youkon Moose? What about Stone and Dall sheep in the $20-40k range? With that said, is it hunting when one hires a guide to kill one of these animals? The guide does all the scouting and the hunter follows along to pull the trigger. One of the easiest hunts I've been on was Barron Ground Caribou in Canada. There aren't any fences there. As a matter of fact, there's nothing there but water and tundra.

Don't even get me started on that chit, it makes me sick too. I've killed all the stuff you mentioned and worked my [censored] off for every one of them.

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Tye] #3986541 01/24/13 02:35 AM
B
buck-snort Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

If I had any of those low fenced places, I would HF them in a heart beat. Where in the world is there only 1or 2 deer on an entire ranch....unless those are 5 acre ranchettes grin

dang. People keep pointing out flaws in my picture. Guess I have some editing to do.

If this is in the Hill country, you might want to add more tracks outside the fence than in

It's right outside Sonora. Just realized I forgot to add the bear track that someone apparently saw in our area. That got me thinking. If I put the bear in the high fence can we call it a Zoo?

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #3986563 01/24/13 02:40 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I care. Because the hunting tradition is important to me. And many others. I don't like hunting even associated with shooting penned-up calcium deposits.

You ask "Who cares?" like it's stupid to care about something. I guess to many it is...

Two thoughts:

1)It's not just "my way"- its hunting vs. shooting/killing. And people who control our fate are watching.

2)Alot of the guys you even apparently agree are just shooters come on a public forum like this, send out pic after pic, and just generally put it in everyone's face. (Which is not surprising as showing off the big rack is kinda their point in the first place).

But ask if its HF or LF and watch the howling! So now apparently you can't even get the story since the big rack is the only point. Used to be the story was the point.

It's just sad.....

And how does that affect you?

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #3986582 01/24/13 02:44 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Two thoughts:

It's just sad.....

Like this?

79" New Mexico Antelope that I shot while driving around on a ranch. Walked 100 yards and made the shot after he deposited his seed in a doe. Took some pics and gutted the animal. Headed home.

Or like this one

Showed up to a ranch in south Texas that is partially fenced( B&C eligible )

Sighted in rifle and went to blind that afternoon. Buck showed up and I shot it. Took pics. Ranch hands cleaned deer. Went home

Or this one(friends buck)

Buck was hitting the feeder like clock work for months. Low fenced ranch

Buck was killed on second day of season. Followed his routine just like the months prior

If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Tye] #3986594 01/24/13 02:47 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
So I don't feel like reading all 15 pages, can somebody give me the condensed version of what's been said so far? popcorn

Last edited by grout-scout; 01/24/13 02:48 AM.
Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: AlaskaCub] #3986601 01/24/13 02:49 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: AlaskaCub

Funny you say that! Arent some of these people the ones that pay $6-10k to hunt Youkon Moose? What about Stone and Dall sheep in the $20-40k range? With that said, is it hunting when one hires a guide to kill one of these animals? The guide does all the scouting and the hunter follows along to pull the trigger. One of the easiest hunts I've been on was Barron Ground Caribou in Canada. There aren't any fences there. As a matter of fact, there's nothing there but water and tundra.

Don't even get me started on that chit, it makes me sick too. I've killed all the stuff you mentioned and worked my [censored] off for every one of them.

Why do you have to cuss so much? There are kids on this forum. Why does it make you sick? They killed the animals legally. Are you mad that they didn't have to work as hard as you? Do you think the hunters didn't enjoy their hunt? Should they not be proud of their animals because they didn't do all the work?

I suggest you make your own bows, arrow, arrow heads put on a loin cloth and hunt off the ground like the "true" hunters did

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: grout-scout] #3986602 01/24/13 02:49 AM
L
Leever Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
So I don't feel like reading all 15 pages, can somebody give me the condensed version of what's been said so far? popcorn

Low fence is the best! No high fence is the best!

duel then crying

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Leever] #3986636 01/24/13 02:58 AM
300j Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Whos winning? confused2

All ready
Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: 300j] #3986640 01/24/13 03:00 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
What happened to the original poster?

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: grout-scout] #3986641 01/24/13 03:00 AM
B
buck-snort Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

sometimes pictures get your point across better than words.

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Tye] #3986658 01/24/13 03:04 AM
A
AlaskaCub Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A

Why do you have to cuss so much? There are kids on this forum. Why does it make you sick? They killed the animals legally. Are you mad that they didn't have to work as hard as you? Do you think the hunters didn't enjoy their hunt? Should they not be proud of their animals because they didn't do all the work?

I suggest you make your own bows, arrow, arrow heads put on a loin cloth and hunt off the ground like the "true" hunters did

Because the things that are going on up there is the same thing that I said in my opening posts on this thread. Trophy hunting driven by those with lots of money are ruining the hunting heritage for everyone that isn't in their financial bracket, and hence destroying the opportunity to enjoy hunting for the average joe. Its happening all over the country and it has been going on for a while. All anyone cares about is the trophy, no matter the price, and those that provide it only care about the money. If it will fit in their trophy room and they can brag about it.....mission accomplished. Opportunities are constantly diminishing and access to land everywhere cost more money than most men have. When wealthy men set the bar so high that most cant touch it, they have two choices....quit hunting.....or spend more money than one can afford. Its really pretty sad. I tell my son all the time, man you wouldn't believe how good the hunting was here, or there at one time, but now you cant even hunt there or if you want to you have to have a lot of money. Its a past time that I see as unsustainable for many the way things are going. But if you've got lots of money opportunities are endless!

Imagine living within 50 miles of 12 Air Taxis and 10 months of the year they will fly you anywhere you want to for their going rate but when hunting season opens they wont give you a ride anywhere no matter how much you pay them because guides (many from outside of Alaska) have written these guys big fat checks to lock up the Air charters so they wont take any Alaskan residents into the areas these guides intend to use, and this is on public land!

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Tye] #3986682 01/24/13 03:10 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

Two thoughts:

It's just sad.....

Like this?

79" New Mexico Antelope that I shot while driving around on a ranch. Walked 100 yards and made the shot after he deposited his seed in a doe. Took some pics and gutted the animal. Headed home.

Or like this one

Showed up to a ranch in south Texas that is partially fenced( B&C eligible )

Sighted in rifle and went to blind that afternoon. Buck showed up and I shot it. Took pics. Ranch hands cleaned deer. Went home

Or this one(friends buck)

Buck was hitting the feeder like clock work for months. Low fenced ranch

Buck was killed on second day of season. Followed his routine just like the months prior

Where's the mule deer?!

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: rifleman] #3986713 01/24/13 03:17 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I have found the HF/LF debates very easy to sum up and then confirmed them while looking at property to buy.

It all depends on which side of the fence you own. If your ranch is HF'd you love them, if your ranch gets HF'd out then you hate them. Pretty easy huh?

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Tye] #3986725 01/24/13 03:19 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
What happened to the original poster?

He's driving around his high fence ranch to make sure nobody cut a hole in his fence.

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: grout-scout] #3986727 01/24/13 03:19 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
What if your just from an area that doesn't have many of them...and you don't have to rely on hunting for the properties to bring income....

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: rifleman] #3986731 01/24/13 03:20 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
This one?

Probably killed by a hunter a year or two later. I had $1000+ in license cost (took 10 years to draw for the public land hunt) and 5k for a guide. I passed on him when we spotted him from 1/2 mile away. Drive within 100 yards and took the pic. I'm a trophy hunter. I was there to kill a monster or go home empty handed.

Or this one?

Story. My father, brother and I went on a very large ranch. We were driving around and spotted him. I got out and shot him at 150 yards. Gotta love hunting the Sandhills

Last edited by Tye; 01/24/13 03:22 AM.

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Tye] #3986743 01/24/13 03:22 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
They do tend to be the dumbest of the deer species.

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: rifleman] #3987826 01/24/13 02:52 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My cousin shot a 5x6 elk the first day of his elk hunt this year. They literaly walked up the mountain sat down on a big rock and waited for light. When light came they saw some cows with in bull in tow that walked straight to them, shot the bull on the first day just after dawn at 26 yards(rifle season)

It's hell eatin em live
Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: redchevy] #3987871 01/24/13 03:04 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
oh yeah, my friend shot a 175" WT 20 yards from his back door on 3 acres in a neighborhood under a corn feeder.

Last edited by jshouse; 01/24/13 03:05 PM.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: AlaskaCub] #3989568 01/24/13 10:19 PM
L
longhorn_cop Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: AlaskaCub

Because the things that are going on up there is the same thing that I said in my opening posts on this thread. Trophy hunting driven by those with lots of money are ruining the hunting heritage for everyone that isn't in their financial bracket, and hence destroying the opportunity to enjoy hunting for the average joe. Its happening all over the country and it has been going on for a while. All anyone cares about is the trophy, no matter the price, and those that provide it only care about the money. If it will fit in their trophy room and they can brag about it.....mission accomplished. Opportunities are constantly diminishing and access to land everywhere cost more money than most men have. When wealthy men set the bar so high that most cant touch it, they have two choices....quit hunting.....or spend more money than one can afford. Its really pretty sad. I tell my son all the time, man you wouldn't believe how good the hunting was here, or there at one time, but now you cant even hunt there or if you want to you have to have a lot of money. Its a past time that I see as unsustainable for many the way things are going. But if you've got lots of money opportunities are endless!

Imagine living within 50 miles of 12 Air Taxis and 10 months of the year they will fly you anywhere you want to for their going rate but when hunting season opens they wont give you a ride anywhere no matter how much you pay them because guides (many from outside of Alaska) have written these guys big fat checks to lock up the Air charters so they wont take any Alaskan residents into the areas these guides intend to use, and this is on public land!

Watch out, starting to sound like good obama with this stuff..
Everyone should have equal hunting opportunities, private property owners be damned!

By the way where is all this land you own?
Im sure you won't mind me coming on your land to shoot everyone's deer. After all, you said the deer belong to me just like they do you.
What gives you the right to only be able to shoot those deer on your land. Not everyone can afford a ranch or lease like you big wigs. NOT FAIR!
hammer

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: longhorn_cop] #3989792 01/24/13 11:27 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Bingo

Re: The LF vs. HF Talk [Re: Tye] #3989942 01/25/13 12:14 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Bingo

Was his name-o?

Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21
Previous Thread