Forums46
Topics544,053
Posts9,806,045
Members87,530
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: bluetopper] #3858120 12/18/12 01:21 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A beautiful hound no doubt.

I've always had another phrase for dogs that leave the intended track to run a deer. "He's leaving the county."

Now to get back to your original question, it would seem difficult for someone to be charged for hunting deer with dogs outside the season if they had no gun or deer in their possession, just as it would be to charge a group of coon hunters with guns for the same offense should their dogs jump a deer. Outside the season of course, I could see myself having fun with a game warden in front of the judge as he tries to prove just what wild animal was in front of the dogs.

With all humor aside, the point that's obvious is that some are so paranoid about people using dogs to hunt deer, that they must pounce on the very mention of it.

"When the debate is lost, insults become the tool of the loser."
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Jacob645] #3858181 12/18/12 01:44 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Jacob645
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Jacob645
So you just want to exercise the deer?
loco

I suspect you're too young to know anything about fox or bobcat hunting. There was a time when it was common to find men sitting around a fire in East Texas, listening to their hounds run a fox or bobcat. There was never an intention to kill anything but just to hear a good "race". And whenever it became difficult to hear the hounds, they would put out the fire, pack their stuff, and move to another location closer to the action. My grandfather was one of them and took tremendous pride in his fox hounds. And these hounds had a very unique appearance that you won't find anywhere today. These were days when you would be hard pressed to find a deer anywhere in East Texas. And a good race might last most of an entire night.

Today the same is somewhat true for coon hunters, although the coon is shot or "squalled" (called) down out of the tree far more often. But still, the emphasis is on hearing a good race as the dogs "work the track." That's also why trying to get the coon to jump out of the tree and continue the race is seen as a very good thing.

No, Dan not too young. My dad went on many fox hunts only about 1/4 mile from where we currently hunt. I just don't know why you'd want to chase a deer around at night just because you can (which you can't). Fox, coons, hogs, and predators I understand. Now, these old timers who chased just to chase, well, to each his own on that. Try explaining to my wife I'm going to hunt, but not kill anything just drink and listen. Shee'll be asking me what "her" name is!

I get that invite to fox camp every year... I wouldn't go.

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Texas Dan] #3858273 12/18/12 02:05 AM
B
bluetopper Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I remember in the 70's when I was about 13, Dad and I went to Mississippi and he bought a pair of adult hounds and he bought me a pair of female puppies out of the premier advertised stud hound of the time. I raised and loved those two gyps as much as a boy could. Anyway when they were just about a year old, the one that was my favorite was really starting to stand out, starting to get mature enough to dominate a wolf race, they went out of hearing late one night (yes during deer season) and we lost track of them. All of them came in the next morning but her. Later she was found with a hole blowed through her side as big as a coke can. From that time on I have despised a person that would kill a hound.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Texas Dan] #3858945 12/18/12 04:59 AM
B
bluetopper Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
the point that's obvious is that some are so paranoid about people using dogs to hunt deer, that they must pounce on the very mention of it.

Some see deer as a trophy to be revered and some see them as a nuisance. It's ironic that both types of people want to kill them.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide