Forums46
Topics543,877
Posts9,803,701
Members87,508
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Enter Standman] #3813405 12/04/12 05:33 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Enter Standman
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Lol....stay focused....not dispersal and home range and the fence

.....size is relative...........

Or so you want us to believe.

I BELIEVE!!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Enter Standman] #3813419 12/04/12 05:39 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Enter Standman
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Lol....stay focused....not dispersal and home range and the fence

.....size is relative...........

Or so you want us to believe.

rofl

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txshntr] #3813421 12/04/12 05:41 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Sorta off topic....but I chuckle every time I see one of you guys write "Amos"....lol. His name is not Amos, it's Marko (as in Marko Barrett from Las Raices Ranch). His username is "AmoCuernos" (which is Spanish for "I love antlers/horns").

I've been seeing people on this forum call him "Amos" for years, but he never corrects anyone. roflmao

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: rifleman] #3813423 12/04/12 05:41 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Shut it RM...I am taller than you...or at least close

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3813425 12/04/12 05:42 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
I chuckle every time I see one of you guys write "Amos"....lol. The guy's name is not Amos, it's Marko (as in Marko Barrett from Las Raices Ranch). His username is "AmoCuernos".

I've been seeing people on this forum call him "Amos" for years, but he never corrects anyone. roflmao

scratch So Eland is your real name?

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txshntr] #3813427 12/04/12 05:44 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I chuckle every time I see one of you guys write "Amos"....lol. The guy's name is not Amos, it's Marko (as in Marko Barrett from Las Raices Ranch). His username is "AmoCuernos".

scratch So Eland is your real name?

HAHA.....no, but I'm just curious where "Amos" came from.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txshntr] #3813429 12/04/12 05:44 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
If I had a nickel for every time someone thought I was chuck connors......

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3813432 12/04/12 05:45 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I'm sure he gets a good laugh every time someone calls him Amos though...lol. Sorry, but I just had to bring that up.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3813435 12/04/12 05:48 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I'm sure he gets a good laugh every time someone calls him Amos though...lol. Sorry, but I just had to bring that up.

Not sure why it is any different than RM, Dodo the clown, STX, chitshak, or any of the others that we shorten confused2

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txshntr] #3813441 12/04/12 05:50 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E

Not sure why it is any different than RM, Dodo the clown, STX, chitshak, or any of the others that we shorten confused2

I get the feeling a lot of people call him Amos because they think that's his real name....like "Famous Amos". LMAO

confused2

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3813453 12/04/12 05:57 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Also, I'm curious why I didn't get any comments from the peanut gallery on the post I made below....confused

Guess I stumped you guys wink

The reason those ranches have few, if any, yearling spikes is because they have killed out a major portion of the gene pool that produced yearling spikes. There's no question that you can manipulate the genetics of a property to produce more 6 and 8 pt. yearlings....but that doesn't mean they are better deer in the long run than the yearling spikes. They are simply showing their genetic potential earlier in their life.

This same thing is being done with a lot of deer breeders....particularly the breeders that supply "shooters" to ranches. Most of these places sell bucks in the 150"-180" range to hunting ranches to be sold that year to hunters. In the past, it took 4 years for bucks to reach that size on average....then they were able to get them to that size at age 3....and now there are places getting them to that size at age 2. It means the breeders can sell them quicker, not feed them as long, and they are easier to kill than the more mature deer.

Once again, the reason there are some ranches with very few spike yearlings is simply because they are killing out the genetic trait of "late bloomers". The 8 pt. yearlings don't end up scoring any higher at maturity than the spike yearlings do. They just get there quicker. But in the end, at age 5, there won't be any difference in B&C score between the two groups on average. That's what this study was all about.....that it is simply NOT POSSIBLE to determine what a buck will look like at maturity by judging his first set of antlers as a yearling. If it were possible, then good gene pools would be obvious when you visited a ranch. The ranches with lots of spike yearlings would have crappy deer, and the ranches with no spike yearlings would have 200 inchers behind every bush...but obviously that isn't the case.

If anyone thinks you need to shoot yearling spikes to have a good deer herd....maybe you should take a look at two of the pioneers of growing big deer in Texas. Jack Brittingham (owner of Rancho Encantado and Briar Lakes Ranch) and Marko Barrett (owner of Las Raices Ranch) have grown and killed some of the largest native deer ever killed in the state of Texas....and neither of them support the shooting of yearling spikes. I have had extensive conversations with Jack on this very topic, and rest assured....there are no yearling bucks of any kind being killed on his properties. He fully supports my side of the argument.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3813479 12/04/12 06:47 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Also, I'm curious why I didn't get any comments from the peanut gallery on the post I made below....confused

The reason those ranches have few, if any, yearling spikes is because they have killed out a major portion of the gene pool that produced yearling spikes. There's no question that you can manipulate the genetics of a property to produce more 6 and 8 pt. yearlings....but that doesn't mean they are better deer in the long run than the yearling spikes. They are simply showing their genetic potential earlier in their life.

This same thing is being done with a lot of deer breeders....particularly the breeders that supply "shooters" to ranches. Most of these places sell bucks in the 150"-180" range to hunting ranches to be sold that year to hunters. In the past, it took 4 years for bucks to reach that size on average....then they were able to get them to that size at age 3....and now there are places getting them to that size at age 2. It means the breeders can sell them quicker, not feed them as long, and they are easier to kill than the more mature deer.

Once again, the reason there are some ranches with very few spike yearlings is simply because they are killing out the genetic trait of "late bloomers". The 8 pt. yearlings don't end up scoring any higher at maturity than the spike yearlings do. They just get there quicker. But in the end, at age 5, there won't be any difference in B&C score between the two groups on average. That's what this study was all about.....that it is simply NOT POSSIBLE to determine what a buck will look like at maturity by judging his first set of antlers as a yearling. If it were possible, then good gene pools would be obvious when you visited a ranch. The ranches with lots of spike yearlings would have crappy deer, and the ranches with no spike yearlings would have 200 inchers behind every bush...but obviously that isn't the case.

If anyone thinks you need to shoot yearling spikes to have a good deer herd....maybe you should take a look at two of the pioneers of growing big deer in Texas. Jack Brittingham (owner of Rancho Encantado and Briar Lakes Ranch) and Marko Barrett (owner of Las Raices Ranch) have grown and killed some of the largest native deer ever killed in the state of Texas....and neither of them support the shooting of yearling spikes. I have had extensive conversations with Jack on this very topic, and rest assured....there are no yearling bucks of any kind being killed on his properties. He fully supports my side of the argument.

because you win? no.

seriously, i wonder how jack brittingham feels knowing HE supports YOUR side of the argument? this argument is older than u buddy, and has been had before on this forum. i realize people like to argue and people like to force their beliefs/ideals on others but if a guy wants to shoot spikes on his place why do u care?

just like ar's and high fences and emmitt vs. barry, it doesnt matter what FACTS you bring to the table, most have their minds made up and will do what they want anyway.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: jshouse] #3813487 12/04/12 06:58 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
For me it's irritating to see folks in my area culling when they don't have much selection to begin with. Take several properties tied together doing the same thing and you get into problems. By the time they shoot the spikes, the AR legal 2yos, a "cull" 6-8 pt, does bc that's been beaten into their head to shoot regardless of what their situation is and you can see how easily you can go from management minded to trigger happy. (Which is okay, but call it what it is) Truth be known, some of the best bucks in the area are on places that never have any deer shot off them.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3813530 12/04/12 10:27 AM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Yesterday morning I had 23 deer at my feeder here at the house, and several were small spikes and nubbins..one was a yearling 6
pointer w/small thin horns..Last evening I had 21 and one was a yearling spike w/one long horn about 6 to 10 inches and one short
spike about 3 inches..I remember a few years ago a mature buck w/
6 points on one side and a spike about 12 or more inches on the other..seems some of the genes' didn't take a hint from Dr. Krolls experience..Don

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txshntr] #3813719 12/04/12 01:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Dude, let's see some pics then of the results

Ask STX, he has pics of the results of a management plan that included killing spikes. Does that mean that all his efforts were futile and he killed off his best bucks because he shot some that were 1.5 yo?

I've seen his pics and know where these ranches were at. he has implemented very aggressive harvest strategies on these ranches.

those places define the top 1% of managed ranches.

I'm just wanting to see results from people claiming to shoot yearling spikes as part of their management programs.....I'm not interested in what las racies or stxranchmans results are....everyone already knows what they are.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3813740 12/04/12 01:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Sorta off topic....but I chuckle every time I see one of you guys write "Amos"....lol. His name is not Amos, it's Marko (as in Marko Barrett from Las Raices Ranch). His username is "AmoCuernos" (which is Spanish for "I love antlers/horns").

If marko wanted to be called marko then he would of put marko as his screen name..

"Amo's" happy now

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: rifleman] #3813760 12/04/12 01:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: rifleman
For me it's irritating to see folks in my area culling when they don't have much selection to begin with. Take several properties tied together doing the same thing and you get into problems. By the time they shoot the spikes, the AR legal 2yos, a "cull" 6-8 pt, does bc that's been beaten into their head to shoot regardless of what their situation is and you can see how easily you can go from management minded to trigger happy. (Which is okay, but call it what it is) Truth be known, some of the best bucks in the area are on places that never have any deer shot off them.

This is so true. The vast majority of people shouldn't even be talking about "management" other than in the context of not pulling the trigger. And much of the time that just can't/won't happen.

I will say that,in my experience,the majority of places could stand to have more does taken-especially in central TX. In east TX it's a place-by-place thing depending on the state of the herd and the makeup of habitat on the particular place.

JMO

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: DoubleTrouble] #3813766 12/04/12 01:49 PM
L
Leever Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: DoubleTrouble
Love the ear tags!!!! I use the same ones on my cows.....

#26 I thought that one would never be killed.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #3813769 12/04/12 01:51 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: rifleman

This is so true. The vast majority of people shouldn't even be talking about "management" other than in the context of not pulling the trigger. And much of the time that just can't/won't happen.

I will say that,in my experience,the majority of places could stand to have more does taken-especially in central TX. In east TX it's a place-by-place thing depending on the state of the herd and the makeup of habitat on the particular place.

JMO

very accurate.

when we hunted in riverside, we had alot of deer, but our ratio was like 1:8.

we needed to whack some does, but the old school hunters would rather have shot a yearling spike rather than take a doe.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3813811 12/04/12 02:09 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Why would any of those ranches support shooting spikes? That's throwing money down the drain for them. You can call it what you want, but the biggest reason they don't whack that spike is at minimum, he'll be a $2000 management buck for somebody in three years.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #3813821 12/04/12 02:14 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Why would any of those ranches support shooting spikes? That's throwing money down the drain for them. You can call it what you want, but the biggest reason they don't whack that spike is at minimum, he'll be a $2000 management buck for somebody in three years.

I know ranches that won't shoot spikes that really don't sell managment hunts, that have mature deer anywhere from 170" up over 200", native deer.

not every ranch sells hunt, and if they do, its not like they sell dozens a year.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #3813825 12/04/12 02:16 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have not read all of this, just the first parts. I was always taught to shoot spikes, but I prefer to let them be 2-3yrs old, just to make sure.

Whether or not it is all true or not is not something I can say, but I wanted to thank the OP and all the folks for the input. I am always wanting to learn more about how to best manage our ranch and the animals and this is some very good info.

R

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3813849 12/04/12 02:25 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

I know ranches that won't shoot spikes that really don't sell managment hunts, that have mature deer anywhere from 170" up over 200", native deer.

not every ranch sells hunt, and if they do, its not like they sell dozens a year.

I know a LF ranch that doesn't shoot spikes thats last 6 bucks average in the 180's....with two over 200

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3813902 12/04/12 02:37 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
I shoot everything that has an ear spread of more the 10" tip to tip. It increases the inside spread of everything else by at least 3". Then I shoot them. up

These theories (Kerr, Kroll, Joe Smoe, and yes the new landwner that thinks they know jack crap about manangement) will NEVER be proven. There's just too many variables; geographic locations, weather conditions, genetics, what supplements you use, etc. And LF owners/hunters really shouldn't even be in this discussion. You'll be getting someone elses junky genetics whether you like it or not.

Last edited by fowlplayr; 12/04/12 02:38 PM.
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3813947 12/04/12 02:46 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

The reason I didn't address this is because of the flaws. First, you bring breeder deer into the equation, which is a completely different scenario and has a different set of rules.

Second, most highly managed ranches have few spikes in the yearling age class for multiple reasons. Namely, they are below or at CC, management practices have been in place for numerous years, and protein and agriculture are used as supplemental feed to allow the full potential of the bucks to be shown despite weather and environmental factors.

Third, no amount of culling alone will produce 200" behind every bush. The main purpose of culling is to allow bucks to reach their full potential and allow the bucks that show the most potential to make it to maturity.

The idea that shooting all the spikes only eliminates the "late bloomer" gene is a weak argument at best.

So if I shoot all the bucks with 4 points or more at 1.5, it will not change my herd and my top end at maturity, it will just take my herd longer to show what the true potential really is?

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide