Forums46
Topics539,814
Posts9,754,450
Members87,193
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3802940 11/30/12 05:10 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
This study seems to back up the 16 year study that concluded in 1993 by Dr. Harry Jacobson at Mississippi State. I had the pleasure of visiting the research facility when a student there in 1982 to 1985 and visit with the good Dr. One of the guys I hunted with was a grad student involved with that study.

The Kerr WMA study that the ARs are based off of and the current Texas biologists love to promote did not take into account the age of the deer early or late born fawns when they were 1.5 or maternal care from the does or other factors that can greatly influence antler development in 1.5 year old bucks, that Jacobson's study did. Now the bucks at the MSU facility are well cared for and documented but all had the same nutrition available and some of those spikes at 1.5 turned into very impressive bucks when mature.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3803010 11/30/12 05:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
If these deer are just know getting shot the one here and on green screen... would mean this particular study of the above deer isn't completed yet...meaning its only yesr 5 or four so far probably.

But he his know for conducting the same type studies all over.... consistantly rebuttaling the kerr study that hasn't been able to be replicated

Bobo, the study was "actively" conducted for 8 years from 1999 to 2007. I'm assuming this buck was one of the last captured and tagged as a yearling (presumably in 2007).

Im talking about deer above....the green screen has one also same study...but its 4.5 years old

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: kmon11] #3803027 11/30/12 05:42 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I think most people are not considering the carrying capacity of the land. There are a certain number of deer that need to be shot every year. If the doe population is in check, cull bucks are taken carefully, then that leaves spikes as the next best thing. Yes some of them will/would have been good deer but I am taking the known quantity/potential.

I am not going to shoot a yearling 8 point over a spike hoping he turns out to be a decent buck. It is not a zero sum game but I will stack the odds in my favor as best I can.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3803045 11/30/12 05:48 PM
H
Hobbs McAvoy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I agree with kmon1. Let the 1.5 year old spikes walk. Any spike age 2.5 or more needs to go. You can't judge them on their first set of antlers, but the 2nd set and 3rd set will tell you what you need to know.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Leonardo] #3803075 11/30/12 06:02 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Leonardo
I think most people are not considering the carrying capacity of the land. There are a certain number of deer that need to be shot every year. If the doe population is in check, cull bucks are taken carefully, then that leaves spikes as the next best thing. Yes some of them will/would have been good deer but I am taking the known quantity/potential.

I am not going to shoot a yearling 8 point over a spike hoping he turns out to be a decent buck. It is not a zero sum game but I will stack the odds in my favor as best I can.

You can meet your CC needs without ever shooting a yearling buck on the vast majority of properties. Usually it is the DOES that need to be whacked, but even on properties with properly balanced ratios.....you should make your culling decisions at age 2.5 and up, not as yearlings.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Hobbs McAvoy] #3803084 11/30/12 06:04 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy
I agree with kmon1. Let the 1.5 year old spikes walk. Any spike age 2.5 or more needs to go. You can't judge them on their first set of antlers, but the 2nd set and 3rd set will tell you what you need to know.

Problem is, by their 2'nd & 3'rd year some of them have already bred. That's why TP&W & many others will tell you to shoot all spikes regardless of age, if you are in a position to be serious about managing for horns.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3803108 11/30/12 06:13 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
ES,thanks I was looking but got nothing.

this is what that study tells me..... nothing and if that artical was the final submission.... It should get a F. Here are the flaws on what was published.

1. the debate about the Kerr study being in pens and this one being "real life" is out. As all but one was on HF ranches. Size according to all "you" HF haters never made a difference before, so that line of thinking should be applied here to be fair. Also he did not indicate if the ranches selected had or had no been under a previous mgmt plan that required spike killing or not. In the 90's S. TX most HF ranches had some sort of MGMT plan in place. The only reason I bring this up is because everyone, including, Dr Dip Stick, is saying how much more "real life" this studdy is over the Kerr study.

2. NAWT Magazine Kroll published " To date, we have obtained data on 1,132 yearlings, 277 2-year-old bucks, 131 3-year-old bucks, 62 4-year-old bucks, and 33 5-year-old bucks" were studied. I like the sample size but..........

This means what???? there is no reference to how many from the yearling class were less than 3pts and how many were greater than 3pts. Was it 50/50....... 60/40....70/30

3. Culling immature deer was a common practice on all the ranches, this one variable completly screws the hole study. No reference was made about what nuber of culls at each age class were origally "spike" or branched??? he just give a total or percentage. Again this practice and reporting as such invalidates the hole sudy.

I'd be willing to bet the most of the tagged spikes were culled out in year 2; a few more the next and so on.....essentially cherry picking a few spikes "the exception to the rule" and carring them to maturity and producing the elusive "150+" spike you guys are so hard up to find. You could not manipulate the results any worse than if you just made up the whole thing.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3803143 11/30/12 06:30 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
the debate about the kerr study isn't so much about the pens, it's about selective breeding which cannot be replicated in a natural environment. The same way you get stud bucks in a breeding program by matching up good pedigree, they were doing the same thing with trash pedigree in those pens to get to the conclusions they wanted.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3803152 11/30/12 06:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I stopped reading the reply after point one....

There is a difference in a hf ranch and a pen...

Breeding is completely different. Infact you have not read the kerr study or you wouldn't of brought that up. The kerr study line breed the two bucks to only their very own offspring year after year. The two bucks werent even from the same geographicsl region

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3803166 11/30/12 06:39 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I know there there's a difference the comment is directed at those who don't
If you truly stopped reading after point then you lose all credibility in this debate

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3803175 11/30/12 06:44 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
ES,thanks I was looking but got nothing.

this is what that study tells me..... nothing and if that artical was the final submission.... It should get a F. Here are the flaws on what was published.

1. the debate about the Kerr study being in pens and this one being "real life" is out. As all but one was on HF ranches. Size according to all "you" HF haters never made a difference before, so that line of thinking should be applied here to be fair. Also he did not indicate if the ranches selected had or had no been under a previous mgmt plan that required spike killing or not. In the 90's S. TX most HF ranches had some sort of MGMT plan in place. The only reason I bring this up is because everyone, including, Dr Dip Stick, is saying how much more "real life" this studdy is over the Kerr study.

2. NAWT Magazine Kroll published " To date, we have obtained data on 1,132 yearlings, 277 2-year-old bucks, 131 3-year-old bucks, 62 4-year-old bucks, and 33 5-year-old bucks" were studied. I like the sample size but..........

This means what???? there is no reference to how many from the yearling class were less than 3pts and how many were greater than 3pts. Was it 50/50....... 60/40....70/30

3. Culling immature deer was a common practice on all the ranches, this one variable completly screws the hole study. No reference was made about what nuber of culls at each age class were origally "spike" or branched??? he just give a total or percentage. Again this practice and reporting as such invalidates the hole sudy.

I'd be willing to bet the most of the tagged spikes were culled out in year 2; a few more the next and so on.....essentially cherry picking a few spikes "the exception to the rule" and carring them to maturity and producing the elusive "150+" spike you guys are so hard up to find. You could not manipulate the results any worse than if you just made up the whole thing.

Same goes for many studies including the Kerr study. You can take statistics and select samples and make them say exactly what you want.

Last edited by kmon1; 11/30/12 06:46 PM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3803180 11/30/12 06:47 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
If you truly stopped reading after point then you lose all credibility in this debate

smile if you say so but then again your using a never been repeatable kerr study as your foundation. Then incorrectly comparing it.

Fact is no study is going to not have culls...mother nature alone will make sure of that.

I beleive the link is a synopsis not entire paper

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: kmon11] #3803181 11/30/12 06:47 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I have no problem what your assesment of the Kerr study I've never quoted it as gospel

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3803187 11/30/12 06:48 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
only one of the three points has to do with the Kerr study.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3803195 11/30/12 06:51 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
mother nature is her own variable, we are talking about selective killing ourselves and the dead ones, how ever it happens, is moot. we are talking about the one that make it till maturity and rescored

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3803204 11/30/12 06:54 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

smile if you say so but then again your using a never been repeatable kerr study as your foundation. Then incorrectly comparing it.

Fact is no study is going to not have culls...mother nature alone will make sure of that.

I beleive the link is a synopsis not entire paper

get me a data sheet with stating how many tagged yearling spikes started the study and how many finished and how many were culled along the way and we can have meaningful debate but if this Synopsis that everyone seem to be hang'n there hat on is all you got..... it thin ice at best.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3803219 11/30/12 07:04 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I like the way most of the study was conducted just not the way the data was perhaps manipulated just to counter the Kerr study.

I would have liked to have seen 100 spikes tagged at 1.5 recaptured at 6.5 and scored then broken down into percentage of 120", 130" and so on

and the same for the branched bucks, this group could even have had subcatagories of what 4pt's will sore, 5pt's and so on.

but that was not the real goal of the study as I read it, it was all about how Kroll had a differen theory and his was going to be right.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3803228 11/30/12 07:09 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
thought this link was neat.

http://192.70.161.73/deercull

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: rifleman] #3803268 11/30/12 07:21 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
kind of cool, I averaged 137 on the keepers and 133 on the culls but I did cull the highest scoring buck.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3803380 11/30/12 08:00 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
[quote=Leonardo]I think most people are not considering the carrying capacity of the land. There are a certain number of deer that need to be shot every year. If the doe population is in check, cull bucks are taken carefully, then that leaves spikes as the next best thing. Yes some of them will/would have been good deer but I am taking the known quantity/potential.

You can meet your CC needs without ever shooting a yearling buck on the vast majority of properties. Usually it is the DOES that need to be whacked, but even on properties with properly balanced ratios.....you should make your culling decisions at age 2.5 and up, not as yearlings. [/quote

I don't agree. At some point you have to turn over the doe population and continue to do so. Therefore you need to maintain a certian amount of doe in each age group. Once you have established that ratio then your are no longer shooting every doe that comes to the feeder.

Nobody has said to shoot every yearling you see. What I am referring to would definately be the last part of implementing a management plan.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Leonardo] #3803495 11/30/12 08:35 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Just a thought....

How many people who are touting the Kerr study are landowners or been actively involved in managing deer for antler size over a number of years?

In other words, who has firsthand experience on managing a deer herd?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3803533 11/30/12 08:49 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
1993-2010 4K high fence Zapata Co. shot every spike
2008-current my place2200 LF and I lease my south neighbor 5K in Kinney Co. We are cleaning up a mess a "biologist"/ lease manager left us; not shooting spikes yet.......

both were gound up starting with trash and F'ed up CC and B:D ratios

Last edited by SingleShot85; 11/30/12 09:07 PM.
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3803573 11/30/12 09:03 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I like the way most of the study was conducted just not the way the data was perhaps manipulated just to counter the Kerr study.

I would have liked to have seen 100 spikes tagged at 1.5 recaptured at 6.5 and scored then broken down into percentage of 120", 130" and so on

and the same for the branched bucks, this group could even have had subcatagories of what 4pt's will sore, 5pt's and so on.

but that was not the real goal of the study as I read it, it was all about how Kroll had a differen theory and his was going to be right.

here is a study that does this. And it very well supports that spikes are inferior to its branched buddy.

And that osier wad terrible. That entry was wrote to disprove the kerr, and that wad it, and it didn't do a good job of that.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3803587 11/30/12 09:08 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Just a thought....

How many people who are touting the Kerr study are landowners or been actively involved in managing deer for antler size over a number of years?

In other words, who has firsthand experience on managing a deer herd?

I like the Kerr study, but don't tout it. I do tout the research by TAMUK, Cesar-kleberg

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: KWood_TSU] #3803601 11/30/12 09:12 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
And Kroll's study is biased. He wants to disprove the spike theory. Well, that's not how research is done. You are supposed to conduct the research, and and then report the findings. You can't do that properly when you want to disprove something, because you have personal beliefs about something, which is called bias, which in turn means research that can't be trusted.

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide