Forums46
Topics540,040
Posts9,757,201
Members87,204
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3802334 11/30/12 02:05 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: blancobuster
I will have to read the full paper at school where I can access it for free but Eland do you know if these deer were being fed protein on all, a few, or none of the ranches?

being fed protein or any other supplemental feed isn't going to turn a spike buck or any buck for that matter into a super buck like that.....its all in the genetics.

a yearling spike is just a young deer, just like the skinny little 8 year old that everyone thinks is sick that turns into Mr. Olympia 20 years later.

I've told this story before....I've had years where our yearling herd was 90% spikes. the next year as two year olds, they are 90% 8 points. at 3 years old 70% are ten points. if i would have shot all my spikes, all I would have accomplished is eliminating an entire age class of deer.

This is why I have about decided just to take my alloted does and leave anything but old funky bucks alone.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #3802345 11/30/12 02:08 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Where did your biggest deer come from?

If you're asking me I've got five that are about the same size/class. Three came from a place in Menard about 10-15 yrs ago and two came from my place in east TX.

(I almost said four because a dang dog drug off one of the heads of a Menard deer and I tend to forget about him. Still kicking myself over that even though he did have to get in my pickup bed to get it.)

Vanguard..

Menard some pretty country

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Tye] #3802348 11/30/12 02:08 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: Tye

I didn't see that part. My bad. How many times did it take hunting a HF to think they should be illegal? Did you hunt there several times because it is basically free?

hunting the high fence didnt make me think they should be outlawed it was being on the other side that did, 2 friends small acre ranches were ruined when fences went up around them.
ya i hunted the chap because they would do these youth hunts during thanksgiving we would go as a standby and they would almost never send away the youths, they made room for all of us. i even get on as a standby on a archery hunt one time but it was nothing like the youth hunts when we were allowed to throw out corn

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #3802358 11/30/12 02:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: blancobuster
I will have to read the full paper at school where I can access it for free but Eland do you know if these deer were being fed protein on all, a few, or none of the ranches?

being fed protein or any other supplemental feed isn't going to turn a spike buck or any buck for that matter into a super buck like that.....its all in the genetics.

a yearling spike is just a young deer, just like the skinny little 8 year old that everyone thinks is sick that turns into Mr. Olympia 20 years later.

I've told this story before....I've had years where our yearling herd was 90% spikes. the next year as two year olds, they are 90% 8 points. at 3 years old 70% are ten points. if i would have shot all my spikes, all I would have accomplished is eliminating an entire age class of deer.

This is why I have about decided just to take my alloted does and leave anything but old funky bucks alone.

Pretty much the best plan on lf with limited tag numbers...

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: vanguard] #3802362 11/30/12 02:16 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
bobo ive never killed a huge buck actually ive never killed a buck on high fence, not because i wouldnt but because i wasnt allowed, i take that back i know of one small managent buck i killed in a fence. ive been on some outstanding high fence places with huge deer, just dont have the checkbook, i did shoot some meat though for free.

my buck this year would be my best, free range, first deer ive killed on this place in 5 years, next would be my axis free range again.

Last edited by vanguard; 11/30/12 02:17 PM.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: vanguard] #3802384 11/30/12 02:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: vanguard
bobo ive never killed a huge buck actually ive never killed a buck on high fence, not because i wouldnt but because i wasnt allowed, i take that back i know of one small managent buck i killed in a fence. ive been on some outstanding high fence places with huge deer, just dont have the checkbook, i did shoot some meat though for free.

my buck this year would be my best, free range, first deer ive killed on this place in 5 years, next would be my axis free range again.

Gotcha, ive hunted a couple hf had the green light just never saw one with enough age.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3802488 11/30/12 02:53 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I'm not a Dr or even very smart and will take tomorrow's trophies today, I don't really care but it seems to me taking any deer at a year old is bad business. Give em chance let them grow. I graduated high school at 17 years old and was 5'10 160 pounds two years later and still today I'm 6'4 190. Everybody said I was done growing, some are just late bloomers. Let em grow and decide at three plus.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: cmc] #3802511 11/30/12 02:57 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: cmc
I'm not a Dr or even very smart and will take tomorrow's trophies today, I don't really care but it seems to me taking any deer at a year old is bad business. Give em chance let them grow. I graduated high school at 17 years old and was 5'10 160 pounds two years later and still today I'm 6'4 190. Everybody said I was done growing, some are just late bloomers. Let em grow and decide at three plus.

yes i agree a spike will develope into something worth shooting later, question is for those who can manage a deer herd , are they should they be given a pass.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: vanguard] #3802584 11/30/12 03:24 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: cmc

yes i agree a spike will develope into something worth shooting later, question is for those who can manage a deer herd , are they should they be given a pass.

if the herd is properly balanced, a yearling spike will do about zero breeding. so all your doing by letting him live to 2 years old, is feeding him for one more year.

people should concentrate less on spikes and worry about shooting 3 and 4 year old 8 points if they are trying to manage for antlers

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3802599 11/30/12 03:29 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V

people should concentrate less on spikes and worry about shooting 3 and 4 year old 8 points if they are trying to manage for antlers

let me ask you what we should do, the place i been hunting for the past 5 years and owner there for 14 years has not produced anything over 8 points, thats it 8 points and 120 inch bucks what can we do here, low fence small acreage but no one hunts around us, prolly 5 k acres around us with no one hunting, we have lots of deer. what can we do to get them bigger.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: vanguard] #3802616 11/30/12 03:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

let me ask you what we should do, the place i been hunting for the past 5 years and owner there for 14 years has not produced anything over 8 points, thats it 8 points and 120 inch bucks what can we do here, low fence small acreage but no one hunts around us, prolly 5 k acres around us with no one hunting, we have lots of deer. what can we do to get them bigger.

how big is the acreage your hunting, and what county?

its going be be hard if your hunting, say, 200 acres, to influence the genetics on 5k acres if no one there is doing any kind of managment whatsoever.

A few years ago, it was kind of a rare thing to see a ten point at our place. not out of the question, but it was something someone talked about when they came back to camp. then we started hammering the 8's, leaving the tens alone. didn't kill a deer over 9 points from 2008-2011. now, its the opposite. any buck over 3 years old generally has ten points. if it dosen't, it gets shot.

of course, we are in a different situation, we are high fenced, there was a ten point gene present that we can manipulate thru harvest, etc....BUT, if your low fenced, it would be almost impossible imo to not have a deer, buck or doe, with a ten point gene, come into your hunting area.

Last edited by txtrophy85; 11/30/12 03:49 PM.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3802655 11/30/12 03:45 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
were on 160 but like i said were the only ones hunting in a couple mile radius, live oak county

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3802681 11/30/12 03:55 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
A pretty good read for those that have time and interest:

http://www.texasdeerassociation.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282

http://www.texasdeerassociation.com/article_info.php?articles_id=277

Quote:
Patterns of Breeding Success
Research at the end of the 1990s by Dr. Randy DeYoung revealed some astounding insights into the patterns of male whitetail breeding success. DeYoung and several coworkers found that 30 percent of the fawns were sired by yearling and 2-1/2-year-old bucks. The remaining 70 percent of the fawns were sired by bucks 3-1/2 years old and older.
Rather than just a few dominant bucks doing most of the breeding, many bucks in the population were contributing genes to the next generation. This obviously complicates any attempt to cull or encourage certain breeding males in order to alter the gene pool.

Lets say that you have a buck to doe ration of 1:1 which most places do not have. Then 50% of the genetic traits are from deer you have no idea what they will produce for antlers.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: kmon11] #3802685 11/30/12 03:58 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Another DNA study of twin fawns showed that often they are sired by different bucks, I do not remember the percentage but it was a lot higher than many would believe.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: kmon11] #3802690 11/30/12 03:59 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
where is a link for Koll's study.................. until its posted I wouldn't refrence it as the end all.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: vanguard] #3802702 11/30/12 04:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
were on 160 but like i said were the only ones hunting in a couple mile radius, live oak county

With little hunting it may have more to do with population then genetics.

If you see a ton of deer every time you hunt might lay the fire to the does

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3802707 11/30/12 04:03 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
nice buck regardless......i wouldn thave shot him since he had a tag in his ear...(wouldnt have for a price anyway) but as far as the spike shooting deal. if the deer is 1 to 2.5 yrs old, i wont shoot. If he is older, i certainly will because obviously he is gonna go from a 3 year old spike to a 4 or 5 year old 170"+ deer.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: vanguard] #3802724 11/30/12 04:08 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

its gonna be real hard to influence genetics on a large area if you can only control 160 acres.

live oak county, depending on where your at, is capable of some nice bucks.

If I were in your shoes, I would just concentrate on shooting mature bucks and whatever does you need and leave it at that. enjoy being in the woods.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3802730 11/30/12 04:09 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V

its gonna be real hard to influence genetics on a large area if you can only control 160 acres.

live oak county, depending on where your at, is capable of some nice bucks.

If I were in your shoes, I would just concentrate on shooting mature bucks and whatever does you need and leave it at that. enjoy being in the woods.

10-4

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Tye] #3802814 11/30/12 04:34 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Tye
looks photo shop one pic doesnt have the tag the other looks photo shopped in,

That's what I was thinking as well

I'm not sure why you guys think it's photo shopped....lol

Anyway, here is a game cam pic of him a couple weeks before he was shot. I know you can't read the tag number...but it is obvious that it is the same deer.

And just so everyone is clear, this deer was not a pen-reared buck. He was a 100% wild, native buck that was captured and tagged as a yearling for the purpose of the study Dr. Kroll did.

Think what you wish.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3802829 11/30/12 04:38 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
again where is the paper....... what are you traking with the does?????? or is she just tagged for the heck of it

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3802868 11/30/12 04:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
If these deer are just know getting shot the one here and on green screen... would mean this particular study of the above deer isn't completed yet...meaning its only yesr 5 or four so far probably.

But he his know for conducting the same type studies all over.... consistantly rebuttaling the kerr study that hasn't been able to be replicated

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Leonardo] #3802869 11/30/12 04:49 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Leonardo
Wasn't there a link posted a few months back with data that supported shooting spikes. Not because they would always be spikes but because thy remain inferior to framed deer of the same age and under the same conditions.

Yes, myself and several others have posted it. It's easy to find, just Google it up. The Wildlife Biologists at TP&W do NOT believe that "once a spike always a spike", that is not their position. As you mentioned above, a 1 1/2 yr old spike will always be genetically inferior to a 1 1/2 yr old 6 pt. It's been proven time & again. Of course other factors come into play, but GENETICS matters more than anything. I've never managed a HF place, but I have been a part of managing several large LF properties in South Texas & we shoot all spikes (not nubbin bucks). All deer have year round access to the same food & water, and the doe numbers are put in check before any buck culling begins. If he's at least a 4 pointer at 1 1/2 yrs he gets a pass that time to start. Anything less & he gets culled. I have always been a believer in what the TP&W biologists research has proven, I've talked to them in person & I've seen it work in real life. Not all young bucks are trophy buck material, just like not all young men are porn star material. Genetics genetics! This topic goes round & round like several others & people are gonna believe what they wanna believe in the end.....

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3802896 11/30/12 04:56 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I found a copy of the paper online. Here is the link:

http://www.deertv.tv/deerchannel/articles/antlerdevelopment.pdf

SingleShot85, I do not have any information on the other deer in the picture.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3802902 11/30/12 04:58 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
If these deer are just know getting shot the one here and on green screen... would mean this particular study of the above deer isn't completed yet...meaning its only yesr 5 or four so far probably.

But he his know for conducting the same type studies all over.... consistantly rebuttaling the kerr study that hasn't been able to be replicated

Bobo, the study was "actively" conducted for 8 years from 1999 to 2007. I'm assuming this buck was one of the last captured and tagged as a yearling (presumably in 2007).

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide