Forums46
Topics544,078
Posts9,806,343
Members87,530
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: swmays] #3801983 11/30/12 05:53 AM
B
blancobuster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: swmays
Maybe this is off topic, but am I to understand that those tags stayed in for 6 years?

they recaptured when possible, I assume they retagged when they did this

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txshntr] #3801992 11/30/12 06:01 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
My thought on spikes: do not take spikes at 1.5 years old but do take them if they are 2.5 or older only have spikes. One deer I saw while at Mississippi State in their deer study facility was a small 3pt at 1.5 years old, 5 or 6 years later he was a 230+ nontypical.

The buck pictured above is an example of what the conclusion of a 1977 to 1993 study that was ongoing while I was at Mississippi State. There are a lot of factors that play into what a buck is able to grow for antlers its first year and later in life, early or late born, condition of the doe and the amount of milk the fawn receives, range conditions and nutritional value of the browse....

But then I am far from being an expert on the subject and have not slept in a Holiday Inn Express in a long time.

Last edited by kmon1; 11/30/12 06:03 AM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: blancobuster] #3802026 11/30/12 07:29 AM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: blancobuster
Originally Posted By: swmays
Maybe this is off topic, but am I to understand that those tags stayed in for 6 years?

they recaptured when possible, I assume they retagged when they did this
I have a 7 yo elk cow that has the original tag in her ear still from the week she was born. Some do fall out but some stay in. Im sure these were re tagged and penned for a portion of there life but yes LF and HF and genetics all play a huge roll of the outcome in wwhat a yearling spike will truely come out to be at 5.5yo. IMO

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: BBD84] #3802027 11/30/12 07:40 AM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Also the same exact story is on 2coolfishing with another buck etc etc with Kroll. Tag # 717 I belive and it was orange tagged spike and 150" deer shot recently.

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txshntr] #3802034 11/30/12 08:26 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
[quote=Leonardo]Wasn't there a link posted a few months back with data that supported shooting spikes. Not because they would always be spikes but because thy remain inferior to framed deer of the same age and under the same conditions.

Kroll's study proves that is NOT the case.

So because Kroll did it, any study that contradicts it is wrong?

Well no...you just told me too and I haven't had time.

Do you know how many papers have been written on this subject. There is "proof" that they are inferior and "proof" they aren't.

As was said, a link had been posted "proving" that was the case but you are saying Kroll addresses it and says it isn't so...so therefore it can't be true.

Kroll is good at what he does and I will read the paper (would prefer a link) but he is also very public and is not held in as high of regard, that you seem to hold him at, by some of his professional peers.

My point is that Kroll is not the end all of research. It is a study based on a theory and supported by data. No different than thousands of other studies.

I believe the deer posted is an exception not a rule. On a HF place where genetics can be controlled, I believe spikes are inferior. I mean, if you are needing to cull, start at the crappy 2.5+, but when you need to take more to remain in carrying capacity, what are you going to take, the spike yearling, or 8 point yearling.

And yes, Kroll is not liked by many people.

If you want another study that supports shooting spikes on well-managed land, look up the caeser-kleberg research done on the king ranch, and other south texas ranches. Very thorough study with good control, and it shows without a doubt, spikes are inferior. But this study is done on huge HF ranches that are very well-managed.

And a very nice deer btw, but how about a picture from that ranch that has an 8 point yearling as well taken at 6.5. I got money that if the study was done correctly with a good control, that on average an 8 point yearling will score higher B&C than the yearling class.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: blancobuster] #3802092 11/30/12 12:03 PM
D
DoubleTrouble Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Love the ear tags!!!! I use the same ones on my cows.....

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: blancobuster] #3802120 11/30/12 12:30 PM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I was picked to hunt kerr wma a few years back..tpwd says also that once a spike always a spike..hunters drawn were required to attend a prehunt meeting where the tpwd rep told us tpwd position..this was about 8 years ago..dont know if their position has changed..i went to dr.krolls seminars at the ft.worth hunters extravaganza..he he presented evidence to support his studys that show tpwd is wrong..pretty convincing evidence i must add..

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: mow] #3802157 11/30/12 01:07 PM
B
blancobuster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: mow
I was picked to hunt kerr wma a few years back..tpwd says also that once a spike always a spike..hunters drawn were required to attend a prehunt meeting where the tpwd rep told us tpwd position..this was about 8 years ago..dont know if their position has changed..i went to dr.krolls seminars at the ft.worth hunters extravaganza..he he presented evidence to support his studys that show tpwd is wrong..pretty convincing evidence i must add..

They have not changed their position, and if they actually told y'all a spike is always a spike, then that is flat out deception. I do not have a problem with TPWD going with their data, but when there are studies that show that their data is not always true...I just wish that they would change their position away from killing spikes as a management tool for all ranches but it is to late to change a lot of minds anyways.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: mow] #3802162 11/30/12 01:11 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
As was stated before all deer are different. Once a spike does not mean always a spike but it could. We had a young buck quite a few years ago that lost his mom before he was weaned. He made it and did not die. He stayed around the barn and became somewhat tame. The first year of he hard antlers he was a spike with about 3" of horn. The next year a 4 point. The next a small 8 point. The last year a fairly heavy horned 8 point with a 16" spread. Then again this year I had a hunter take a spike that had some age on him was in good shape and should not have been a spike. I think anytime you see a buck that is 2.5 with spikes he should be taken. Also I have seen before and taken older deer with hard horns that were barely through the skin.Looked like does but you could tell by their actions were bucks. Those really needed to be taken out.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: blancobuster] #3802209 11/30/12 01:32 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
looks photo shop one pic doesnt have the tag the other looks photo shopped in,

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: don k] #3802216 11/30/12 01:33 PM
M
mideon2000 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
if its brown it's down!

I only lie when I tell the truth.
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: vanguard] #3802222 11/30/12 01:34 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: vanguard
looks photo shop one pic doesnt have the tag the other looks photo shopped in,

That's what I was thinking as well

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: blancobuster] #3802233 11/30/12 01:38 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Obviously this ranch is not realistic due to the fact krill even set foot on it. Obviously they are on a feed and management program. I think most people now pass on yearling spikes any way

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: KWood_TSU] #3802239 11/30/12 01:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
[quote=txshntr]Wasn't there a link posted a few months back with data that supported shooting spikes. Not because they would always be spikes but because thy remain inferior to framed deer of the same age and under the same conditions.

So because Kroll did it, any study that contradicts it is wrong?

Well no...you just told me too and I haven't had time.

Do you know how many papers have been written on this subject. There is "proof" that they are inferior and "proof" they aren't.

As was said, a link had been posted "proving" that was the case but you are saying Kroll addresses it and says it isn't so...so therefore it can't be true.

Kroll is good at what he does and I will read the paper (would prefer a link) but he is also very public and is not held in as high of regard, that you seem to hold him at, by some of his professional peers.

My point is that Kroll is not the end all of research. It is a study based on a theory and supported by data. No different than thousands of other studies.

I believe the deer posted is an exception not a rule. On a HF place where genetics can be controlled, I believe spikes are inferior. I mean, if you are needing to cull, start at the crappy 2.5+, but when you need to take more to remain in carrying capacity, what are you going to take, the spike yearling, or 8 point yearling.

And yes, Kroll is not liked by many people.

If you want another study that supports shooting spikes on well-managed land, look up the caeser-kleberg research done on the king ranch, and other south texas ranches. Very thorough study with good control, and it shows without a doubt, spikes are inferior. But this study is done on huge HF ranches that are very well-managed.

And a very nice deer btw, but how about a picture from that ranch that has an 8 point yearling as well taken at 6.5. I got money that if the study was done correctly with a good control, that on average an 8 point yearling will score higher B&C than the yearling class.

Well there is another exception to the rule posted on yhe green screen

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Tye] #3802241 11/30/12 01:40 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
ive hunted the chapparall wildlife management area lots of times and have talked to the biologists there they shoot spikes. now this area is never fed no suppliments or anything all natural and managed with only what is allowed to be killed. the biologists there say a spike will never be what a 4 pointer or better will be. just repeating what TPW biologists said.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: vanguard] #3802252 11/30/12 01:43 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
ive hunted the chapparall wildlife management area lots of times and have talked to the biologists there they shoot spikes. now this area is never fed no suppliments or anything all natural and managed with only what is allowed to be killed. the biologists there say a spike will never be what a 4 pointer or better will be. just repeating what TPW biologists said.

Thought you didn't hunt high fence and thought they should be outlawed????

If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Tye] #3802262 11/30/12 01:46 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Oops he forgot about that one rofl

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: rifleman] #3802276 11/30/12 01:49 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: Leonardo
Wasn't there a link posted a few months back with data that supported shooting spikes. Not because they would always be spikes but because thy remain inferior to framed deer of the same age and under the same conditions.

That probably depends on if you're comparing apple to apples & not native to imports.

All deer are imported unless you hunt the king.

Pretty sure that deer above was low fence

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Tye] #3802282 11/30/12 01:51 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: Tye

i never said i didnt hunt high fence i even stated in the last thread that i have manytimes

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: vanguard] #3802291 11/30/12 01:52 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Well, I am just a management doofus but I would not shoot a yearling spike on my place that looked like that anyway. A lot of length and curve on that "spike".

I might shoot a big,fat spike with antlers that went straight up and were 4-6" long though. Or a small,skinny,rough-coated pitiful looking spike in a good range conditions year when the other deer are fat and healthy.

I look at the whole situation in context with the range conditions that particular year.

I generally hesitate to "manage" anything in drought years. Heck, on my free range <400 acre place I am just making myself feel better anyway....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: vanguard] #3802294 11/30/12 01:53 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Where did your biggest deer come from?

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: vanguard] #3802299 11/30/12 01:55 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Tye

i never said i didnt hunt high fence i even stated in the last thread that i have manytimes

I didn't see that part. My bad. How many times did it take hunting a HF to think they should be illegal? Did you hunt there several times because it is basically free?

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: blancobuster] #3802317 11/30/12 02:01 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: blancobuster
I will have to read the full paper at school where I can access it for free but Eland do you know if these deer were being fed protein on all, a few, or none of the ranches?

being fed protein or any other supplemental feed isn't going to turn a spike buck or any buck for that matter into a super buck like that.....its all in the genetics.

a yearling spike is just a young deer, just like the skinny little 8 year old that everyone thinks is sick that turns into Mr. Olympia 20 years later.

I've told this story before....I've had years where our yearling herd was 90% spikes. the next year as two year olds, they are 90% 8 points. at 3 years old 70% are ten points. if i would have shot all my spikes, all I would have accomplished is eliminating an entire age class of deer.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3802321 11/30/12 02:02 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Where did your biggest deer come from?

If you're asking me I've got five that are about the same size/class. Three came from a place in Menard about 10-15 yrs ago and two came from my place in east TX.

(I almost said four because a dang dog drug off one of the heads of a Menard deer and I tend to forget about him. Still kicking myself over that even though he did have to get in my pickup bed to get it.)

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: kmon11] #3802322 11/30/12 02:03 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: kmon1
My thought on spikes: do not take spikes at 1.5 years old but do take them if they are 2.5 or older only have spikes.

This

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide