Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: Crazyhorse] #379168 07/03/08 11:50 AM
kwrhuntinglab Online Shocked
"The Guardian"
Online Shocked
"The Guardian"
Quote:

I believe if you will go back and check, that post of mine you quoted, was directed toward Mr. Gilbert and his comment and not toward you.

But you used my name....and said you had a problem with me.....so....guess that makes it also directed at me...

Like I said.....and you said.....

Don't like it.....you know how to use the ignore button

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #379169 07/03/08 12:03 PM
G
gary75758 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: Crazyhorse] #379170 07/03/08 01:04 PM
T
TXPH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
man what a bunch of politicly correct titty babies, grow up and let your nuts drop, if something happens there is cause and effect, you place the BLAME on the cause.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: TXPH] #379171 07/03/08 01:15 PM
T
Tx_Phantom Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Quote:

man what a bunch of politicly correct titty babies, grow up and let your nuts drop, if something happens there is cause and effect, you place the BLAME on the cause.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: TXPH] #379172 07/03/08 01:24 PM
N
netman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Who is to blame? Us for paying what they want.Power is in the people.For die hard hunters to pass up a year hunting to send a message to leasers is impossible.Supply and demand.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: Crazyhorse] #379173 07/03/08 02:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Sorry CH, I need to re-read my history, although you feel as it is a bad example you understand what its saying.

History is just that history, a story of man's accomplishments and advancements thought competition.
You get the drift and you are agruing to agrue.

Regardless, accessable hunting land is disappearing at an alarming rate. As more of the baby boomers retire, we will continue to see large ranches being broken up, as our northern and western cousins seek a lower cost of living for retirement.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #379174 07/03/08 03:06 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I am not going to elaborate a whole freakin page but it would be interesting to know how many hunters find themselves barely out of the market. For example there are places you would like to lease and have the opportunity to do so but the pricing is $1 to $2 more than you can afford or want to extend your budget too.

This seems like the situation I always find myself in. In part it always comes about when a third party is involved ie sub-leasing.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #379175 07/03/08 04:09 PM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Sorry if I am coming across as argueing to argue.

As for your history reading, you are no different than a lot of folks.

Many modern folks have read the romanticised accounts of indians and the indian way of life, written by indians or part indians trying to portray indians as The noble Savage in tune with their environment.

In actuallity all or nearly all of the plains tribes had to live nomadic lives, following the herds of game because they would wipe out all the animals in any given area and had to move their villages quite often to ensure an adequate food supply.

Yes, I got what you were saying about the supply and demand being the heart of the issue, I just wonder how many people including yourself, would not have had quite the problem with the question if I had titled it, "Which of the following groups has influenced the rising cost of hunting leases", and left the word Blame out of the picture?

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: Crazyhorse] #379176 07/03/08 04:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Quote:

Yes, I got what you were saying about the supply and demand being the heart of the issue, I just wonder how many people including yourself, would not have had quite the problem with the question if I had titled it, "Which of the following groups has influenced the rising cost of hunting leases", and left the word Blame out of the picture?

No Worries, I like the thread its interesting to see people opinions and thoughts.

They only thing I can't understand is why people make such a big deal about it. Costs rise period, cars aren't getting cheaper, houses for the most part are not getting cheaper, every past time in america is rising in cost always have always will. I hunt the Okla Panhandle a lot and make many trips every year, in fact at least 7-8 and it's 7 hours just to get their. Gas has gone up so what do you do.... budget, cut the fluff.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #379177 07/03/08 04:52 PM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I think it lies in the fact that this was something hunters did for themselves that was apart from their day in, day out grind, a chance to get away from work and in some cases family and responsibility.

A chance to get out and be ones self with out having to worry about the time clock.

It was a gift to ourselves and we justified it by talking about how it refreshed us and the comaraderie of camp and trying to recapture another time and the good meat we would have to eat and the nice set of antlers to look at.

Now, because of the prices, it is being taken away from us and no matter how hard we try to justify that it is because of supply and demand or however we want to word it, a part of us that was what made us feel human and part of the real world is slipping away and it HURTS.

It is just like losing an old friend and many of us realize that we can not do one thing to stop it.

And maybe that is not what the problem is at all.

It is what makes me feel like a dinosaur, I am doomed for extinction and I am watching things that were important to me disappear.

Being able to go out and actually spot and stalk hunt a der got replaced with having to set in a stand.

Now being able to afford a place to hunt, has been replaced with buying a doe shoot, where instead of spending time building blinds/cutting trails/working on feeders, I load up and drive an hour or two, go out into a pasture and shoot the first doe or two I see and then it is load up and go home.

I will go shoot the does and pay my money, but how long is that going to last?

Sorry for the rant, I just think hunting and the ability to do so means a lot more to folks than they realize and watching that ability to enjoy the time outdoors and bringing home some meat and horns, is really effecting folks. JMO.

Last edited by Crazyhorse; 07/03/08 05:00 PM.
Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: Crazyhorse] #379178 07/04/08 02:06 AM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
ALWAYS GOT TO STIR THE POT. THE ONLY FOLKS WHO CARE ABOUT BLAMING SOMEONE ARE THOSE WHO FOR WHAT EVER REASON FEEL LEFT OUT AND WANT TO BLAME THEIR OWN PLACE IN LIFE ON SOMEONE ELSE INSTEAD OF TAKING THE CREDIT FOR BEING WHERE THEY ARE BECAUSE THEY CHOSE TO BE THERE.
THE PRICE OF LEASES AND THE PRICE OF GAS FALL UNDER THE SAME SITUATION AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, I WAITED IN LINE TODAY AT A STATION THAT HAD 22 PUMPS TO BUY NEARLY $4.OO A GALLON GAS. THE PRICE OF LEASES AND THE PRICE OF GAS ARE WHERE THEY ARE BECAUSE WE WILL PAY FOR IT.JMOHO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: OFBHWG] #379179 07/04/08 03:08 AM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity

Thanks for your input, always nice to see folks get involved in these issues.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: OFBHWG] #379180 07/04/08 03:11 AM
M
Mowdy Ag Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Nobody's to blame. It's just like everything else in the capitalist system. Equilibrium price is determined where the supply curve and the demand curve cross - it is what it is.

Want to drive it down? Find an alternative supply. Good luck with that...

MA

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: Leonardo] #379181 07/04/08 07:57 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Quote:

I am not going to elaborate a whole freakin page but it would be interesting to know how many hunters find themselves barely out of the market. For example there are places you would like to lease and have the opportunity to do so but the pricing is $1 to $2 more than you can afford or want to extend your budget too.

That is where I am at. My current lease is within my budget, but if it's yearly cost goes up much more, I will let it go and I doubt I will get on another.

I have tested myself on public lands for various game both in and out of State and have found that option do-able for me if done right. I have passed through all stages in the progression of a hunter. With that, I discovered I can enjoy a hunting experience without having to pay thousands of dollars for access to private land or game.

Who is to blame for high lease prices. I don't know. I just see it as a change of culture.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: 7mag] #379182 07/04/08 12:28 PM
A
ab Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
here where i live guides were the first ones to lease land for hunting. once it got started everyone was dragged in.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: ab] #379183 07/04/08 02:43 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

here where i live guides were the first ones to lease land for hunting. once it got started everyone was dragged in.

It's the same way a couple states north of here. Cabelas and big outfitters are leasing up land that has NEVER been leased before for hunting. It's not the hunters that are leasing land.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: txcornhusker] #379184 07/04/08 05:33 PM
O
ouixch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
Hunting is a commodity, the price will be determined by what the market will tolerate. Clearly the market will accept the current price structure. Nothing like this is written in stone, the price is fluid......it can move up or down depending on the circumstances. One of the biggest contributing factors is that Texas has a large population and very little public land. There really aren't a lot of options for places to go aside leasing private property. Therefore the overall market is not very competitive. If Texas had large expanses of public land, or a much smaller population.......the market would be more competitive and the landowners would have to set their prices low enough to entice a hunter to choose their land over the very low cost public land. Essentially this is a sellers market for the landowners and they are simply doing what is encouraged in a capitalist system: making money.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: Crazyhorse] #379185 07/04/08 05:47 PM
B
budreau Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Quote:

Because if you have not been following some of the threads that have taken place over the past few months, and not just on this topic, everyone appears to be looking for some one or some place to lay blame.

I would tend to agree with the Supply and Demand concept, the problem is figuring out who created the demand.

The supply is a constant that increases and decreases annually according to what is taking place on those areas.

This ain't rocket science, just monitor the poll and see what is voted on.

TTH started the demand for large racks and with egos in texas as large as the state the rest is history as they say.
simple. example- if larrys ranch cost more than moes and feeds more deer feed than moes and shoots a bigger buck than moes then by all rights he must be better than moe.
kinda fun to set back and watch.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: txcornhusker] #379186 07/04/08 10:36 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
All I'll say is you can hash and rehash this subject over and over and its not going to change. Hunting is a business just like anything else. The outfitter, the land owner , the hunter is having to pay more to operate. Plain and simple. And the market is going to charge what ever the traffic will bear. Everybodys in this thing to make a living. And the government is at the top of the leader board!! Simple fact of life: If you can't afford to hunt then you're out of the runnin'!! Leases should be plentiful this year. You guys that don't have a lease and are looking call the chamber of commerce in whatever city you want to hunt at. Lets race, Benny

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: Cool_Hand] #379187 07/05/08 02:25 PM
B
b1c2r3r4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
i am new to this forum but please allow my 2 cents i believe the number of hunters and fishermen are going down each year if this is true then demand sould also be droping i quit hunting twelve years ago because of price son wanted to go last year so checked around and had to tell him it cost to much so i guess he want be a hunter with fewer hunters why are leases still going up

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: b1c2r3r4] #379188 07/05/08 02:59 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

i am new to this forum but please allow my 2 cents i believe the number of hunters and fishermen are going down each year if this is true then demand should also be droping i quit hunting twelve years ago because of price son wanted to go last year so checked around and had to tell him it cost to much so i guess he want be a hunter with fewer hunters why are leases still going up

There is more land being taken out the lease pool every year. A lot of it by development of rural "ranchettes" that used to be prime hunting area. Look at the hill country there are literally millions of small "ranches" that are not big enough to hunt that used to be good hunting ranches. Second you have landowners that now are reaping the income from wind farms and oil, they are also taking the land out of the lease pool. The hunting land available shrinks every year by thousands if not millions of acres.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: 7mag] #379189 07/05/08 05:28 PM
A
Auctioneer1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
When you wake up look in the mirror and you will see why prices are the way they are. Your buddy or friend or there friend will pay more money for your place than you will or the guy next door offers more for the place and you are gone. The rancher knows this he is just waiting on the guy to come up and offer more money. That is why I don't take guest to my lease if they see your place and it has a cabin and alot of game and is year round all of a sudden there is a letter in the ranchers mail box about how they will pay more money. I have seen this many times don't think your buddy won't tell his about your place then next year your lease goes up or you loose it. I know there are alot of ranchers that know this but they always make sure they have there money before making the move to kick you off b/c why would he give up that money when it's been fine all those years guess why some one else offerd more $$$$$$$$$$$ and a lot of it.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: Auctioneer1] #379190 07/06/08 05:44 PM
B
bownut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Wow what a waist of time this thread was! A simple poll turns into a debate then a history on Indians and back to a debate. Its vary simple as long as we pay the price will stay.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: bownut] #379191 07/06/08 07:13 PM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Evidently it was not that big a waste of time, since you made a comment, anyone that thought it was a waste of time either would not have commented or even read the thread.

You sort of shot your own post in the arse with your comment.

Re: Lease prices, Who Is to Blame? [Re: Crazyhorse] #379192 07/06/08 07:31 PM
B
bownut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Being a sunday and nothing to do is the reason I read the post. After reading the whole post and the back and forth B.S. on what the cause is and who is to blame, and then the off-topic portion I then realized it was a waste. It just amazes me that these topics get brought up year after year and it's like reading a history book. Some change their mind over time but most do not. Smoe post could have been copied and pasted from the previous years. As a land owner of over 2000 acers in prime Illinios whitetail habitat I can say with great confidece that the Hunter/Production Companys are cause and the answer to your question. Land owners only get what they want because some JackA23 is willing to pay for it. And no I do not lease any of my land.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide