Forums46
Topics543,814
Posts9,803,106
Members87,507
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Another Piece of Beautiful Brazilian Agate [Re: HunterMattW2] #3590743 09/21/12 02:48 AM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: HunterMattW2
Are these just for fun, or were there primitive hunting intentions once? That looks like a show piece to me, but have no clue as to whether the beauty flows into its strength as well as its looks for that kind...

These last ones have been for show but you could use them if you were careful. Here are some arrowheads I made to hunt with but ended up donating them to a THF charity. I've shot points like these and they are surprisingly tough but I haven't killed anything with one yet. I made a heavy knife and was going to dress a deer with it last year but never saw anything I wanted to shoot. My Wife has control of the PC now so I can't load that pic right now. Here are the arrowheads. In the second pic, the bottom knife (a dagger really) is perfectly capable of penetrating the chest wall of any animal you'd meet here if you were unlucky enough to be that close.

Tomorrow I'll post a pic of the real hunting knife. It was made purely for function and heavy use.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Another Piece of Beautiful Brazilian Agate [Re: panch0] #3591206 09/21/12 04:56 AM
J
jcarlson91 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
awesome

Re: Another Piece of Beautiful Brazilian Agate [Re: HunterMattW2] #3591845 09/21/12 02:30 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Here's my hunting knife. As I said, pure function. The blade is 3" wide and 4-3/4" long. Overall length is 10-1/4". It's raw flint so it's tough. I turned the handle from a dead cedar limb in my yard. Yes, the handle is ugly but it's most important purpose was to keep my hand from sliding up onto the blade. It is extremely sharp. When I was thinking it through as to what I wanted, I decided to make something that would serve equally well in a fight or processing a deer; not that I plan on using it in a fight. Just trying to make a primitive multi-tool. grin

And, I'm a big fan of the no-stitch scabbard. I appreciate the finely sewn and tooled scabbards but you can make one of these using one tool; something to cut the wet leather. If you make a directional scabbard (left or right hand), you can change sides simply by getting it wet, flipping it over, and putting it back together.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Another Piece of Beautiful Brazilian Agate [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #3592098 09/21/12 03:51 PM
H
HunterMattW2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
Originally Posted By: HunterMattW2
Are these just for fun, or were there primitive hunting intentions once? That looks like a show piece to me, but have no clue as to whether the beauty flows into its strength as well as its looks for that kind...

These last ones have been for show but you could use them if you were careful. Here are some arrowheads I made to hunt with but ended up donating them to a THF charity. I've shot points like these and they are surprisingly tough but I haven't killed anything with one yet. I made a heavy knife and was going to dress a deer with it last year but never saw anything I wanted to shoot. My Wife has control of the PC now so I can't load that pic right now. Here are the arrowheads. In the second pic, the bottom knife (a dagger really) is perfectly capable of penetrating the chest wall of any animal you'd meet here if you were unlucky enough to be that close.

Tomorrow I'll post a pic of the real hunting knife. It was made purely for function and heavy use.

Wow, I'm drooling at the second knife with the sinew bolster and whatever that cactus handle wood is.....rainstick/tarantula tank comes to mind....just begging for a deer to go to work on!

Incredible work you're doing there....

It's hard to feel sorry for someone with one leg who shoots themself in the foot.
Re: Another Piece of Beautiful Brazilian Agate [Re: HunterMattW2] #3592238 09/21/12 04:37 PM
S
Sniper Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I'd love to learn to do that. Thats awsome.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide