OF A HUNTER

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: jdickey] #3458495 08/09/12 06:21 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: jdickey
The GENERAL SEASON is what most call the rifle season, since all legal forms of weapons can be used during that period. I believe the ARCHERY ONLY began in the 70's and was for the entire month of October. The Youth Only has been on and off over the years, but for the past 30 years it is designated as the last weekend in October; an additional youth only in January was added about 15 years ago; it too has been on and off. The Extended Season has also come and gone several times over the past 30 years.

What it boils down to....you cannot use a firearm during ARCHERY ONLY...it is the only hunting weapon given that privilege!

I was being facetious!

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: kyotee1] #3458835 08/09/12 08:34 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I WOULD USE A SPEAR IF IT WERE
ALLOWED IN TEXAS

TO ME THAT WOULD BE AN ULTIMATE HARVEST
(OF COURSE , I'M NOT ASKING FOR A SEPARATE
SPEAR SEASON ,THAT COULD FALL UNDER GENERAL)

Last edited by maximum; 08/09/12 08:36 PM.
Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: maximum] #3464092 08/11/12 02:22 PM
R
Rocklock Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
It's all about the $. 35+ years ago I hunted on a WMA as part of a study of the effectiveness of MLs vs modern. There were 2 seperate hunts and in each one the MLs % harvest was virtually the same as w modern guns. Only diference was average distance per shot. I personally took a hog and a small buck,

When it got to the Commission, $ prevailed as the big $ modern hunters didn't want a bunch of rag tag MLs hunting on their leases. Same as w crossbows, archery hunters didn't want cross bows in archery season. Commission agreed. Then the manufacturers dumped in the $ and the commission dumped on the archers by creating a seperate cross bow season that just happened to be same as archery. Now they just have an archery season that includes cross bows.

My preference would be a primitive weapon season in the mix somewhere. Atl-atl, stick bow upto and including recurve with no sights and traditional side lock MLs with fixed sights. BUT it ain't gonna happen. No big $ backing it.

So I just use whatever bow strikes my fancy in Oct and use the flintlock in general season. Might even dig out the .30-06 once in a while to put some quick doe meat in the freezer.

Last edited by Rocklock; 08/11/12 02:24 PM.

The answer is FLINTLOCK! Now, what was the question?

Support the Texas Youth Hunting Program
http://texasyouthhunting.com/
Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: Rocklock] #3464607 08/11/12 06:47 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
COULDN'T AGREE MORE. . .

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

THAT'S PART OF WHY WE'RE ABOUT TO
BE A ZEBRA MUSSEL NURSERY.
THE STATE SHOULD WORRY ABOUT FISH
AND WILDLIFE HEALTH ISSUES INSTEAD
OF TRYING TO RAISE THE NEXT WORLD
RECORD BASS OR BUCK. WON'T BE SURPRISED
TO SEE A C.W.D ALERT NEXT FEW YEARS.

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: maximum] #3464613 08/11/12 06:49 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
(I STILL WANT TO SEE AN ATL-ATL
-SPEAR SEASON.I'LL BE THERE)

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: thedoveshooter] #3466809 08/12/12 05:24 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
first deer rifle was a Kentucky .45.. still my favorate rifle flag

i'm postaddic
Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: Yeti Hunter] #3469361 08/13/12 06:42 AM
D
Deersteaks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I dont understand the problem people have with modern ML's. It seems like we are'nt happy unless we are making the ways of hunting harder.Why not eliminate compound bows as well as cross bows. Get rid of carbon arrows an go back to wooden only.Or hey, how about loose the bow all together and start throwing spears?Muzzle loaders should all be required to be at least 4 1/2 feet long and weigh 14 pounds at a minimun.Side locks for sure and lets go even further, we have to get sulfer,salt peter, and charcoal and make our own powder.Sounds kind of extreme don't it. Well, I support all types of hunting even if I don't choose to do it that way myself.I know this is a friendly post and I am really not wanting to start a rucas, but, we need to be careful what we wish for, or we might just be giving the "Anti's" amunition to restrict us more than we are now.And besides, back to the ML's...the guns make the same amount of noise when fired, and the purpose is the same, so why is modern so wrong. Because its not hard enough???Really??? See above

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: Deersteaks] #3470257 08/13/12 04:26 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
i sure don't have any problem
with in-lines or scope use or
any of that.
i've used recurves and compounds,
expensive handmade rifles and
60.00 pawn shop specials.
my only gripe has been those
who think any deer without a
b&c rack is next to worthless,
or those who try to cut in my
bow season. i do fillet and eat
bass and love to shoot a nice
tender young deer.
i don't like the state trying to
raise world record bucks and bass
just so we can say the record came
from here.
the health of animal herds and our
fish should be job one.

i would sincerely love to be able
to use a spear for a deer, at least
two states i know of do just that.
i don't feel the need for any special
season to do so, i would just like
for the legality of the method.
for me, there is enough of general
season to get the job done.

if you want an in-line, fine.
have at it, and i'll back you
every step of the way as long as
you practice religiously and find
the limitations of your chosen firearm.

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: maximum] #3470268 08/13/12 04:29 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
like it was said by r.l. in
an earlier post-
to the state, it's all about the
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: maximum] #3476996 08/15/12 01:55 PM
N
NKBJ Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
The use of heathen jacketed bullets and cartridge guns should be limited to two weeks after the hunters are done.

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: NKBJ] #3478396 08/15/12 09:05 PM
R
Rocklock Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Deersteaks, I don't have any problem with a synthetic stocked, scoped, SS, inline muzzleloader shooting bullets 300 yards but why not just get a No 1 Ruger or one of the break open cartridge guns? I just do not see any difference.

I use traditional MLs w/ a patched RB because it IS harder and the flintlock is harder still. I haven't graduated to only using a recurve or stick bow - yet. I seldom hunt over bait or from a blind, but I still do.

To me the purpose of hunting in this age is to enjoy the outdoors with like minded folks and to CHALLENGE oneself. Certainly it is good to have wild game but let's face it, we are not sustinance hunting.

So if you enjoy using a modern ML go ahead, it's legal. I hunt with a flintlock during open season, it's legal.

The answer is FLINTLOCK! Now, what was the question?

Support the Texas Youth Hunting Program
http://texasyouthhunting.com/
Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: Rocklock] #3485521 08/17/12 09:45 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Rocklock
It's all about the $. 35+ years ago I hunted on a WMA as part of a study of the effectiveness of MLs vs modern. There were 2 seperate hunts and in each one the MLs % harvest was virtually the same as w modern guns. Only diference was average distance per shot. I personally took a hog and a small buck,

When it got to the Commission, $ prevailed as the big $ modern hunters didn't want a bunch of rag tag MLs hunting on their leases. Same as w crossbows, archery hunters didn't want cross bows in archery season. Commission agreed. Then the manufacturers dumped in the $ and the commission dumped on the archers by creating a seperate cross bow season that just happened to be same as archery. Now they just have an archery season that includes cross bows.

My preference would be a primitive weapon season in the mix somewhere. Atl-atl, stick bow upto and including recurve with no sights and traditional side lock MLs with fixed sights. BUT it ain't gonna happen. No big $ backing it.

So I just use whatever bow strikes my fancy in Oct and use the flintlock in general season. Might even dig out the .30-06 once in a while to put some quick doe meat in the freezer.

bs

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: kyotee1] #3486159 08/18/12 01:30 AM
N
NKBJ Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Or limit people that don't cast their ball to the last two weeks. Well, unless they knap their own flint that is. After all, nobody can do everything.

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: NKBJ] #3486642 08/18/12 03:45 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
No thanks, I'd never want to see the Oklahoma style of hunting here. Lived there for 7 years and one of the happiest days of my life was seeing the Red River in my rear view mirror as I came home.

Perhaps their rifle season is longer now but for the 7 years I lived there it was ONLY the week of Thanksgiving when I typically had to be away with family. Screw that. Never again.

Each year I lived there I still came back and hunted in Texas. Only once did I ever hunt there. Big deer (especially in the NW areas up by Kansas), nice looking country...but 1 week (and missing Turkey Day with the family)? No thank you.

Earl

Last edited by Earl; 08/18/12 03:47 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: Yeti Hunter] #3487552 08/18/12 05:18 PM
D
Deersteaks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Point taken Rocklock.The main reason that I reacted the way I did is because, I dont think that people think things through before voicing their opinion.I like having an extended ML season and I partake when I can but, we all should have a choice. The most modern ML's still have to be loaded from the muzzle with powder(or pellets), then bullet, and then a cap put on. This was my point. If somebody wants to go with the oldest style ML, then have at it, and the way I am hunting with a ML would have zero effect on the way that you hunt a ML. We both get one shot and it better count.We should all be supporting each other when it comes to hunting.

Last edited by Deersteaks; 08/18/12 05:19 PM.
Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: Deersteaks] #3488582 08/19/12 01:41 AM
M
Mohawg Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Great Topic. Wasn't long ago the longbow hunters were opposed to the compound. Now it's the crossbow issue. I bought one, and like it. Still like my compound and continue to use it. Like my M.L. too. My Grandson is ten yrs. old we use the M.L., most of the time. In Oklahoma I use the bow all season. But my personal favorite is my old 7mm mag. Personal choices are our privilege. It's not about who is the better hunter. It's staying UNITED,with good ethics, against the antis.

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: Mohawg] #3489342 08/19/12 12:48 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: Mohawg
Great Topic. Wasn't long ago the longbow hunters were opposed to the compound. Now it's the crossbow issue. I bought one, and like it. Still like my compound and continue to use it. Like my M.L. too. My Grandson is ten yrs. old we use the M.L., most of the time. In Oklahoma I use the bow all season. But my personal favorite is my old 7mm mag. Personal choices are our privilege. It's not about who is the better hunter. It's staying UNITED,with good ethics, against the antis.

Well said

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: kmon11] #3529117 08/30/12 10:36 PM
J
JesterGrin_1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I was told by a Game Warden after the first year of Muzzle Loading season in South Texas that the reason they stopped it was because of the New Muzzle Loaders that were coming out that were pretty much the same as any other Modern cartridge gun.

He was not happy when I stated it was there fault as they should have stated it was for traditional style Muzzle Loaders only. And he said we would not have the Man power to check everyone on what type of rifle they are using. So Ok what are you doing Now lol.

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: Yeti Hunter] #3547829 09/06/12 06:22 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
am thinking if person would do some research on what type of guns people are looking at to buy weather at gun shows, sporting stores, & even Walmart... most people are looking at the newest an best.. guns are constantly being improved, muzzle loaders improved to the inline an as some one stated the powder has improved greatly for the inline.. ML means a method of loading powder & projectile down the muzzle.. it compaires with archery, the old style long bow & recurve then came the compound & now the debate of the cross bow... i use a compound cause of shoulder problem & am holding less lb's at full draw & i'm more acuret shot with compound than with the recurve or long bow.. whin they first opened up idea for cross bow started looking into them cause of my shoulder.. each person is different just like the forms of weapon chosen for hunting.. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: passthru] #3548332 09/06/12 09:08 PM
D
deewayne2003 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: passthru
That's the problem with muzzle loaders anymore though. The only limitation is one shot. The modern versions, with modern propellents and bullets are legitimate 200 yard killers. May as well use them in rifle season. Now if you wanna say side lock, iron sights, maybe round ball or maxi ball only then we get back to a limited weapon.

As someone who shot and killed at least 5 deer last year with a muzzle loader; I can tell you there is a BIG difference between a .50cal with a .240gr hollow point and 150gr 777 charge and a .270win, even if both have premium optics on them.

One little misstep in loading a Muzzle loader and your dead in the water for accuracy or it simply wont shoot.

Damp powder
Wet primer
bullet not fully seated
bullet seated to deep and crushed pellets
damaged projectile while loading
faulty Sabot that doesnt seal good
And on and on and on.

The scopes and inlines simply help you take some of the human factor out and lowers your chances of wounding animals.

Just like mechanical releases, fiber optic bow sights, expandable broad heads and all the other things that go hand in hand with modern bow hunting.

I also bow hunt and shot my first deer of the season last year with a bow in Oklahoma on opening weekend, So I see both sides of the fence.

I bow hunt, I muzzle loader hunt and I rifle hunt.....

Honestly every time a new method of take comes up for discussion it seems like bowhunters get their feathers ruffled and start trying to deny it or put limitations on it.

Remember the countless "Crossbows are NOT archery hunting!" threads that ran through this forum?

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: deewayne2003] #3551875 09/07/12 11:51 PM
N
NKBJ Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Just limit non-round ball guns to the last two weeks of hunting. After the deer are all spooked the long range sniping capability for people that can't hunt starts to make sense.

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: NKBJ] #3552603 09/08/12 04:50 AM
R
Red D Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

does it count as muzzle loader?

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: Red D] #3555346 09/09/12 04:33 PM
N
NKBJ Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Come on Hogzilla!

Re: TX Statewide ML season? [Re: NKBJ] #3595890 09/23/12 03:06 AM
B
bassman110 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I hunt with a compound bow, modern in-line ML w/scope, and 30-06 w/scope. I can tell you my compound bow is very much different than the re-curve I grew up shooting. Just as my ML is quite different than my 30-06. Personally I would not take as long a shot with my ML compared to my 30-06. But I enjoy hunting with all of them and just being in the woods. I was fortunate last year and took deer with all of them. It would be great if there was a ML season. But I can see the rub with cutting into the other seasons. Bottom-line we all need to make sure we can enjoy hunting regardless of what means you use. There are a lot of people out there who would given the chance would take our rights away. Exercise your right to vote and make sure your voice is heard.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide